Late-Day Kickaround

Greetings from Philadelphia, site of the MLS draft Thursday (2 p.m. ET, ESPN2). I am on college hoops duty tonight (George Washington at La Salle) and will shift back into full futbol mode in the morning. On the drive up I-95, the Insider was passed by a BMW driven by new D.C. United assistant coach Ben Olsen, who, as instructed, lowered the window and shared valuable draft strategy. Actually, his ankle injuries have not impeded his ability to press pedal to metal.

Before tip-off at Tom Gola Arena, you should know that.....

*Eddie Johnson made his Aris loan debut in the 79th minute of a 2-0 Greek Cup victory over Arestas Tripolis in the round of 16. Freddy Adu is still awaiting his loan paperwork to be finalized and hopes to make his first appearance Sunday.

*FC Dallas exercised the option to retain Colombian playmaker David Ferreira, who is on loan from Brazilian club Paranaense. He had eight goals and seven assists in 30 league starts last season.

*Toronto FC has moved the date of its home opener against Philadelphia from April 17 to April 15, a Thursday night, to accommodate ESPN2 coverage.

By Steve Goff  |  January 13, 2010; 6:10 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United: Forwards
Next: United Acquires Perkins

Comments

I guess the penalty for being able to cover the draft is having to watch college basketball ;)

Posted by: Reignking | January 13, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Good call by TFC/ESPN. TFC always has great atmosphere that will come very well in HD. Should be a great opening day.

Any word on how many games Philly is planning to play at the Linc?

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | January 13, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

What, no VW?

Posted by: DCB23 | January 13, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Olsen's driving a BMW? that's not going to help the players in the labor negotiations.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | January 13, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Goff, were you twitting and driving? I would like to believe you waited till you stopped at WaWa to get a sandwich and some Funyuns before you tweeted about Olsen...

Posted by: DadRyan | January 13, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Ooh, a late-day kickaround. Two-a-days in the offseason... :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | January 13, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

My apologies to Benny for my prior comment. I misread the Twitter post in the last thread.

I'm still wondering about the DCU bus tomorrow. I was thinking about a nice lunch at Chifa, then the draft. But, I have so much to do here, and I fear DCU may trade away another one of its picks, making the trip a silly exercise.

Posted by: fischy | January 13, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

fischy have you registered for the ride? The bus is full from what I saw...

Also, did I read the schedule right for the Everton match this weekend: 12pm?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 13, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

So, Ben was driving a Beemer? I thought he lived the boho-lifestyle in DC, cycling everywhere and eschewing the trappings of modern-day life.

The least the team could have done was loan him a Jetta for promotional purposes. Or maybe the sponsor could provide a fleet of team vehicles for just such an occasion.

I've never seen a DC United player make an appearance for VW in Rockville. Guess they really don't give a fig about the local sponsorship, just the national $$$.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | January 13, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Is it too much to ask that one of our speedy forwards step up and play even half as well as Davies before the world cup? Johnson, Adu, Tracey, Cunningham, Findley, anybody.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | January 13, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

jay, are you drunk?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 13, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

FWIW Ben rocks a Passat Wagon, at least if the video-internet-machine is correct. Of course, he also has a ~8 year old son if we are to believe things we see...

Posted by: 22206no1 | January 13, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Allow me the first to eat my own words. I cannot believe that the MLS got Troy Perkins in and put him in position to be allocated before the draft. I was wrong, and Troy Perkins is coming to DC for Fred, allocation money, and the #7 overall.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | January 13, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

OH SNAP! WE GOT PERKINS!

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | January 13, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad to see Troy back. I find the trade terms reasonable, but I'd like to see us maybe move up in the draft from the 3rd round.

Posted by: invncbl | January 13, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Two buses of people going up for a 3rd round pick? The nerve! /snark

Posted by: Section117 | January 13, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Not crazy about burning the allocation for Perkins but thats spilt milk now. Don't think there were others in cue worth waiting for. I'm way happier with Perkins in goal that our other options. It's def exciting news.

Don't think the draft loss is much - we did so well last year. I'll miss Fred as I enjoyed watching him play and think he can do better with a better supporting cast. Still, Fred frustrated me by taking too many touches too often. Unfortunately, I think his time here was marked by 'potential' more than 'actual.'

Would still like to get a burly leader for the back line and a speedy striker up top.

Oh, and who's our #10 now?

Posted by: inbetweenswims | January 13, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

73 days until Troy keeps goal in United's first 2010 match!

Posted by: Curious99 | January 13, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Perkins - heckyeah! That makes me a whole lot more optimistic about the season.

Folks, we have a boatload of money to spend. Who will be our #10? DP? Other acquisitions?

Forget the draft, this is getting very interesting...

(No, don't really forget the draft. Just sayin'.)

Posted by: jealousmuse | January 13, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I stand by what I said when we first heard he might be coming back, adding Perkins immediately makes our defense solid. Perkins will control the box and organize the defenders. I'd venture to say that if we can take care of getting one proven goal scorer, we're instantly in the playoffs....might not be the best team in the league, but a solid conference third seed.

Posted by: TassieTiger | January 13, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Now we're talkin'. I knew there was something up with hanging onto Fred. Sure hope Castillo is ready to rock!

Posted by: DadRyan | January 13, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow.

Philadelphia trades top Allocation spot to DC for Fred, no. 7 overall pick and allocation money. DC to use spot to take Troy Perkins.

Posted by: Reignking | January 13, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back Troy! Best news I've heard all week. With Perkins we get a solid keeper for at least the next few years while Hamid develops. We also might have a DC United member go to the World Cup which is always excited. I'd actually like to see DCU rebuild from the back and this is a good start.

Posted by: diego_r | January 13, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

would have sent Moreno instead...
I dont know what to say about the move, happy that Perkins is back. But not so sure about Fred, it feels like that Ivan Guerrero move all over again.
Who was behind the trade? Did Onalfo had anything to say about it?

Can Perkins produce? IDK..
But I hope DC can find a suitable CAM and another winger to help Castillo.

So Im guessing Wicks will be booted since you have two keepers that surely benefit from Perkins to mature. Should have sent Wicks or Moreno..

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 13, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

one of my greatest Fred memories:

"So with just a few minutes left in United's 2-0 victory over the Rhinos in the U.S. Open Cup round of 16, United was awarded another free kick in a dangerous spot. Marc Burch had already finished two of them, from 30 yards in the 78th and about 20 yards in the 85th. Free kick hat trick, anyone? The plan was for Fred to run over the ball and allow the howitzer-footed Burch to blast the ball past Scott Vallow again. But as Fred was approaching the ball, he saw an opening in the wall and decided to take it himself. Not even close. He later apologized to Burch and Coach Tom Soehn."

Posted by: diego_r | January 13, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse