Matchnight: USA-Honduras

Let the games of 2010 begin!

In the first of five planned friendlies ahead of their sixth straight World Cup appearance, the Americans face South Africa-bound Honduras at Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. Neither side is at full strength but much is to be learned from these secondary casts.

Kickoff: 9 p.m. ET.
TV: Fox Soccer Channel, Telefutura.

USA LINEUP: Perkins; Wynne, Conrad, Marshall, Bornstein; Kljestan, Beckerman, Feilhaber, Rogers; Cunningham, Findley.
RESERVES: Rimando, Goodson, Pearce, McCarty, Bedoya, Casey, Davis.
NOT IN UNIFORM: Hartman, Thornton, Alston, Gonzalez, Cameron, Evans, McDonald, Gaven, Pontius, Braun.

Your pregame, in-game and postgame thoughts are encouraged.

By Steve Goff  |  January 23, 2010; 8:43 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saturday Kickaround
Next: USA-Honduras Rewind

Comments

When I saw Davis as a reserve, I first thought, "wait, that can't be Charlie" and then realized it is Brad Davis. And Charlie's last name is Davies.

What does it say that, given this depleted roster, Bradley is not starting Conor Casey? Or does he know what Casey has to offer, e.g. little, and want to see what Findley and Cunningham can do?

Posted by: jofij | January 23, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know of an online feed?

Posted by: wichne | January 23, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

No, Pontius? I don't approve

Posted by: Shanoni | January 23, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know of an online feed?

Posted by: wichne | January 23, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Try atdhe.net

Posted by: spikeman | January 23, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Found a local Telefutura station. Thanks.

Posted by: wichne | January 23, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Little disappointed in no Pontius, but I can understand this particular decision. He's looking for something out of Findley or Cunningham, desperately needs in fact. Would like to see Bedoya get significant minutes.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | January 23, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm really interested to see Benny F and Beckerman running ths how in the midfield. Benny seems to bo one of the few players we have capable of the magic we need when things get stale...

....not that anyone has ever called a Bob Bradley side "stale"....

Posted by: tphasbdp | January 23, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

OK. Conrad has lost some pace.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | January 23, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: peridigm | January 23, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Que?!?!

Posted by: davemcl | January 23, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I am watching the match abroad on FSC, fed through TVU networks - access available through myp2p.eu.

Posted by: bartapest1 | January 23, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Just turned on the game - how did Conrad pick up the first yellow card? [I saw how he got the second]

Posted by: emanon13 | January 23, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

This match may well become a waste of time. The Mexican ref gives Conrad 2 yellows, tossing him out of the match at just 17 minutes. Hands Honduras a PK, which gives Carlos Pavon the game's first goal. The United States now playing with just 10 players. HON 1, USA 0. Goodson warming up on the sidelines for the Stars and Stripes.

Posted by: bartapest1 | January 23, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

First yellow was an intentional foul early in the game to stop a breakaway.

Posted by: dcjy | January 23, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

That was a really painful half time to watch, unless you are cheering for Honduras. USA cannot work the ball through the middle of the central American side's defense, and hopeful long high balls are cleared out by the tight Honduran back line. Not sure how Bradley is going to organize 10 men to break through in the next 45 minutes.

Posted by: bartapest1 | January 23, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

@dcjy

Correction Conrad's first yellow was a dive by a Honduran player. His second yellow was another dive by a Honduran player. Notice that Guevara's fould on Feilhaber was much worse than anything Conrad did, but no yellow. The ref lost control of his ego and played too much of a role in the game. Central Americans play the worst style of soccer in the world. They play with no class, dive at every opportunity, and fake injuries to kill time. I am really disappointed in the fact that a ref would throw player off in a friendly in the 20 minute. I am disgusted!

Posted by: no_recess | January 23, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

the US is sucking some serious butt right now

Posted by: StewartDC8 | January 23, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

I just don't see anyone on the field really fighting for a place on the squad for June. Wynne is showing his speed, but can't cross. Cunningham isn't showing his speed at all. In fact, he's playing like he's sick or something. No fight. Benny F. keeps passing the ball to the other team. Conrad showed he is getting old and really doesn't belong on the team anymore. Rogers is playing like he's never seem a soccer ball. Beckerman, Bornstein and Finley are the only ones that look OK so far. Marshall is doing his best to keep it together without Jimmy beside him.

I sure hope this gets better. Maybe this is a good thing. We'll find out who has the character to pick up their chin and get through it. If they can't keep it together in a friendly, there is no hope for anyone in this line-up come June.

Posted by: spata2 | January 23, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Well I saw a few gents out there that have no business being allowed into South Africa (and I'm not talking about selections, I mean the country should ban them for the duration of the Cup).

How bad was that half? Let me put it this way, Bornstein was the US MVP for the half.

Conrad? I'm not even going to touch that one. Winn? And let's not forget Roger's running to something in the corner (not sure what it is, maybe some day I'll figure it out).

Oh well, I think I am a masochist - I have to be as I am going to watch half no. 2.

Posted by: Kosh2 | January 23, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

I think Gonzalez is doing himself a favor by not being on the pitch.

Our talent drop off is steep, man.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | January 23, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Josh Wicks is at Molly Malones watching the game with us common folk... :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | January 23, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

@no_recess

I wasn't really passing judgment on the quality of the calls, just telling why Conrad's first yellow was given. That being said, the second yellow looked legit on 2nd viewing. Conrad reached out and grabbed the shoulder of the Honduran player and spun him around. He went down and drew the yellow.

Falling over wins games, unfortunately. It seems the current reffing philosophy over the past few years is, "if he doesn't go down, then play on."

On the opposite side of the field, we saw Wynne beat his defender in the right corner and try to dribble around him. He was grabbed in the exact same way as Conrad's grab, but Wynne's strength kept him up. No foul called. It's too bad, but the current game rewards the flopping style of play, I believe.

Posted by: dcjy | January 23, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Guevara should have been thrown off. That call should have been his second yellow. Then he fouls Wynne and again questionable yello. WTF! Conrad did slightly grab the guy, but he fell two steps later and when he caught the refs eye. I do not think the penalty was a clear dive from a guy, Palacios, who had already dove in the box.

Posted by: no_recess | January 23, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

So clearly this is not the USMNT A team - does anyone know what "level" team Honduras is playing?

Posted by: emanon13 | January 23, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Honduras is playing with an A/B team currently. Missing a lot of their Euro stars.

The US is playing with the bench and a man down. A good opportunity for Bradley to judge character and skill. Lets see how the boys play under pressure especially in an away crowd at home.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 23, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I think Casey is wearing cinder blocks for shoes. Like, actual cinder blocks.

Posted by: sec133row5 | January 23, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

This honduran team is playing a lot better than the US team. Though, I'm seeing a lot of dives. That PK was BS.

Got lucky to get that goal as well. Shoulda been a foul on Goodson. But, I'll take it none the less.

Posted by: dogboy | January 23, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

I know Conor Casey has scored a couple big goals for us, but he does NOT deserve to playing at this level. He looked (as usual) like a piece of aging dead wood.

Posted by: redskinsux | January 23, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

I didn't see the game, but sending off a player in a friendly is just stupid unless that player is actually endangering the safety of others. From all accounts I've read, that was not the case.

Posted by: BooThisMan | January 23, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

@BooThisMan

I agree with you completely. Why would anyone boo you?

Posted by: no_recess | January 23, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

no offense Goff, but a match night thread barely 15 minutes before the scheduled kick off is just a little lame... too busy covering b-ball? if so I do understand...
Guess this match didn't matter anyway.
Any retort to power blower's "insider" rumors?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 23, 2010 11:54 PM | Report abuse