MLS-FIFA, Adu, Beckham, Dallas

*FIFA says it won't get involved in MLS's labor negotiations.

"FIFA understands that this domestic issue is being resolved in accordance with U.S. labor laws and does not involve the U.S. Soccer Federation. FIFA will not interfere in the process. We have been assured that FIFA's regulations have been and will be respected."

*Freddy Adu's loan from Benfica to Aris is set. The Greek club has an option to buy. He will arrive in Salonica on Thursday, he told the Insider this afternoon. Aris, which will host Iraklis on Sunday, is in fourth place in the 16-team first division with a 6-3-7 record.

*David Beckham makes a sterling 2010 debut for AC Milan.

*FC Dallas adds Aziz Ansah, a 29-year-old defender from Ghana who most recently played for a Nigerian club.

By Steve Goff  |  January 6, 2010; 4:43 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , Beckham , FIFA , Italy , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wednesday Kickaround
Next: Video: Five for AC Milan

Comments

Good for Becks. Hope he's in the 18 when the Lions meet the Yanks in SA.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 6, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I am sure FIFA will let us know exactly when someone is breaking the rules they make up from time to time. Although if any other country decided to rule in their own courts about what should happen in futbol, FIFA would have kittens and suspend the country from international play. Since they are not going to implode World Cup TV ratings by kicking the US out of the World Cup in the biggest untapped commercial market for the sport, they are going to sit high and dry on this one.

The World Cup TV rights are sold through 2014 - they don't care what happens here until then.

The place for this fight is the Court for Arbitration of Sport.

Posted by: IamAM | January 6, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

what OWNTF said. :)

Posted by: DadRyan | January 6, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Becks - Fully Committed to the Galaxy:

After these six months what will your future be?
"I don't know, we'll see. I'm very honored to be here again. I come here knowing I will stay at least six months, the first time we weren't so sure for many reasons. I only think about working hard and do well in a special club. Then we will see if Milan will still be in my future."

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | January 6, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

"Inter defender Cristian Chivu, who suffered a broken skull in a clash of heads."

ouch

Posted by: rockotodd | January 6, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

FIFPro's statements are the exact reason I hate unions. The players are idiots if they think MLS can survive free-agency. Does the salary cap need to be raised, absolutely! Will the owners give up single-entity? Never!
I will forever blame the players if there is no season. They can go play for USL2/NASL (which doesnt exist anymore) or a Div. III league in India or go coach their high school varsity soccer team. No one forced the players to sign with MLS. If they don't like the way MLS is set up, go play somewhere else. There are thousands of teams around the world in hundreds of leagues!
The owners have sunk billions (of their own money)into this league, the players have not.How about this idea..have the union step up and buy half of MLS from the owners. Then their attitude would change about free-agency if it was their money!
Until MLS owners are making money hand-over-fist, the players better realize how good they have it and again if they don't like it...they are plenty of other teams, leagues, and jobs out there! FIFPro cry me a river!
If I was management, I would rather suffer through a work-stoppage/lock-out/strike before I EVER gave up the single-entity.

Posted by: boda-united | January 6, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Guess what we'll be doing every sunday? Checking on Freddy and Eddie. Sigh.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | January 6, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

72 days til I make it to Charleston!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | January 6, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

And 80 days until the first DC United league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | January 6, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

I was going to post this morning but blog servers were down or something.

The players and the union (as laid out in the statement released thru FifPro) have some pretty legitimate gripes and probably exaggerate some other grievances.

Ridge Mahoney at Soccer America seems to view the dispute objectively pointing out some of the stronger points and weaker points in both sides claims:

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 6, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse