MLS Draft Day

Follow the picks -- and the trades -- as they unfold with regular updates here on the Insider. The four-round draft begins at 2 p.m. ET, with the first round shown on ESPN2.

New England has traded veteran defender Chris Albright to New York for the 34th and 48th overall picks. ... Following last night's trade, D.C. United does not have a pick until midway through the last round (55th overall). At the moment, I am not expecting the club to move up. ... Hot trade rumor: New York is trying to acquire star defender Jimmy Conrad from Kansas City. ... Los Angeles traded the No. 15 pick and a third-round pick next year to RSL for the No. 16 pick and Clint Mathis. ... Another trade rumor: Preston Burpo and Cory Gibbs from Colorado to New England for Wells Thompson and the rights to Jeff Larentowicz. ... With the 55th overall pick, United selects North Carolina defender Jordan Graye, a DeMatha High graduate.

FIRST-ROUND ORDER
10. Chivas USA: Akron MF Blair Gavin
11. Seattle: UCLA MF David Estrada
12. Columbus: Notre Dame F Bright Dike
13. Chicago: Wake Forest MF Corben Bone
14. New York: Wake Forest MF Austin da Luz
15. Real Salt Lake: Portland MF Collen Warner
16. Los Angeles: UCLA MF Michael Stephens.

Follow the rest of the draft on the league's Web site.

By Steve Goff  |  January 14, 2010; 12:45 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday Kickaround
Next: United Selects .....

Comments

Feel bad for those bus folk going up to watch 54 picks by other teams before DC get their first pick!

Posted by: boda-united | January 14, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Who is the Mel Kiper of MLS?

Posted by: JkR- | January 14, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Scr3w the draft, we have plenty of developmental players. Let’s use all that DP money and get us some real talent.

Posted by: dchooligan | January 14, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

that's right.... I forgot about the DCU bus ride thingy.

Posted by: nairbsod | January 14, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Who is the Mel Kiper of MLS?
______________________________
I think Ives wants to be

Posted by: jmingus | January 14, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I agree with dchooligan. Let's pretend Shipalane, Havanagira and Barklage are our draft picks and move on....

Posted by: JkR- | January 14, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Who is the Mel Kiper of MLS?

Posted by: JkR- | January 14, 2010 12:55 PM

JoeSoccerFan from BigSoccer, don't know what his Post login is.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | January 14, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Let's do a mock 3rd round draft. What do you, fischy?

Posted by: Reignking | January 14, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Here's some mocking - "He has small hands, and smells of cabbage..."

Posted by: JkR- | January 14, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

? Everything else I've seen says DC has a 3rd round pick? Goff is saying there's only a last (4th) round pick. What happened to the 3rd rounder?

Posted by: joe_hill | January 14, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Here's some mocking - "He has small hands, and smells of cabbage..."

Posted by: JkR- | January 14, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Frank O'Neil?

Posted by: VTUnited | January 14, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Ive's has a mock draft that shows DC United picking some 17 year old in the 3rd round with the 39th pick.

Posted by: joe_hill | January 14, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Joe_hill - 3rd rounder went to LA, I believe for the Wicks deal

Posted by: beach3 | January 14, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

oh, ok. i wonder what pick we could trade wicks for straight up now.

Posted by: joe_hill | January 14, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Having been at a draft where United wasn't actually drafting until pretty deep into it, here are some things the people on the bus can do:

- Boo anyone that takes their draft time out
- Boo everything NY, LA, and Philly do
- Ask MLS or NSCAA staffers if you can have a DC United logo sign. At the 2008 draft in Baltimore, Toronto's 2 fans broke the ice and were allowed to grab a 3 foot tall TFC badge. After that, pretty much every fanbase represented made off with their team's giant badge
- Go find out if there are free t-shirts

That'll keep them occupied for possibly as many as 20 minutes, leaving everyone present extremely bored from the 1st round on.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 14, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Philly fans are awesome at booing. This may be the first draft where Philly fans don't boo a pick.

That DCU bus is going to be hammered...

Posted by: Reignking | January 14, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

hahaha
awkward position the front office has left those fans on the bus!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 14, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

anyone else hear the fans pretty nice..

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 14, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Bring The Noise!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | January 14, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Wow, PHilly jacket for Mwanga is sharp...

Posted by: DadRyan | January 14, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

hahaha DC United barra brava got a shout out for showing class..

+1 brownie points..

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 14, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

People are streaming the draft??? Why?

Posted by: Reignking | January 14, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Dude, I'm just watching on my flat screen bro. Don't hate, some might find streaming La Liga games and pining for Benedict Rossi might be a waste of time you know...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | January 14, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I wish we had that 3rd round pick, Zac Herold looked real good at the combine for a real young kid.

Wicks could maybe get us a fruit basket at this point

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 14, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

"People are streaming the draft??? Why?"

--better than doing work

Posted by: rockotodd | January 14, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I just wouldn't go out of my way to find a stream of the draft, that's all. I'm not sure Alexi is going to make it much better :)

Posted by: Reignking | January 14, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Fact: Alexi is the greatest thing to happen to world Football. Don't mock his red hair.

Forget this draft, we need a striker of quality. He doesn't have to be a DP but I would prefer one :).

I watched about 4 minutes of the draft and had enough. I find it is more worth my time to aimlessly search the internet.

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 14, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

The Union could possibly have the fastest front line known to man next year. Though, with Fred as their midfield anchor the ball will probably never reach them.

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 14, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 14, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

thats the underlying brilliance of the deal.

Posted by: VTUnited | January 14, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

So we lost McInerney to Philly. Watch him be amazing.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | January 14, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

You don't have to go out of your way, it's on ESPN360. Dude!

Posted by: DadRyan | January 14, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Per Goffs Twitter the Pink Cows fans sure sound like a bunch of idiots as usual.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 14, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

People on SBI asking for feeds...

Posted by: Reignking | January 14, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Mali 0 Algeria 0 39th minute

Posted by: redstarsix | January 14, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Angola 2 Malawi 0 63rd minute

Posted by: redstarsix | January 14, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Corben Bone is this year's Stephan Frei.

Posted by: Reignking | January 14, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

The more I think about it, Bone dropping makes some sense. Playmakers in college, if they're not absolutely brilliant, probably can't become playmakers in MLS. Thus, they're conversion projects. An example: Bryan Namoff! Drafted as an attacking midfielder, converted first to defensive midfield and then on the right of a back three, and now a regular right back.

Teams that will want Bone will either be playing a narrow diamond or playing with 5 midfielders.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 14, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

And there you go. Chicago has been playing a 4231 on and off (mostly on) for a couple years, and de los Cobos had El Salvador in a 4231 as well.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 14, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Bright? That's a weird name.

Posted by: Reignking | January 14, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

did anyone else loose their espn360 feed?

Posted by: jsm3 | January 14, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Algeria beat Mali. Do not underestimate this team.

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Wow - 4 Demon Deacons in the first round. That must be some kind of record, right?

Posted by: soccerman | January 14, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

@Chest -- Bone dropped because he wasn't great in the College Cup finals and was almost invisible at the Combine. Teams have to wonder how much of his earlier success was due to playing on a superior team.

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Correction to Goff's posting above -- LA traded their pick to RSL, which picked Stephens, not LA. Arena reunited with Mathis. I'm guessing he's afraid Everton make MLS an offer they can't refuse for Donovan.

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Arena gets Mathis.

Posted by: Reignking | January 14, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

My bad - I read too quickly. Goff got it right.

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

So, with my new work hours changing my sleep schedule, it was nice to wake up to the Perkins news, though I'm a big McInerny fan.

Not much has surprised me so far. The idea of Mathis and Arena sounds fun.

Blackburn and Villa in the Carling Cup on 360 now. Can't tell yet if Guzan is in goal, but I'd assume so.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | January 14, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Guzan is.

Posted by: Reignking | January 14, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Union draft an old guy to make up for the teenagers.

Posted by: Reignking | January 14, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Guzan is in goal. Nelsen at CB for Blackburn, who are awful and IMHO, in need of a coaching change.

Posted by: JkR- | January 14, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Villa up 1-0, Milner in the 23rd...

Posted by: soccerman | January 14, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

KC drafts Olukorede Aiyegbusi -- just to have a laugh whenever TV people try to say his name.

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Wake me up when pick #55 comes around....

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

So, Vincenzo Bernardo is back in the USA and looking for deal. Says his reps are in touch with USL and MLS sides. Any chance DCU would be interested? Seems like a young guy like this is right up Nowak's alley, but maybe Onalfo wants to take a shot at him?

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I honestly feel the Union are cleaning up in this draft. Stahl was supposed to be MLS ready and Ives had him as a mid/top first rounder. Either Stahl isn't that good or the Union are doing extremely well in today's draft.

Having said that, the jump from NCAA DI to MLS is drastic.

(I think I could be an ESPN soccer commentator as I just point out the obvious too.)

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 14, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Well, we've got the roster space.

Posted by: Reignking | January 14, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, no Maryland players taken in the draft yet?

Posted by: grognard66 | January 14, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

dream draft for me is: Drew Yates being there for DCU's taking. I know im dreaming. :)

Posted by: wiz-skins07 | January 14, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Well - they just passed the halfway point to DCU's lone pick. SJ got Justin Morrow, who was supposed to be one of the most impressive players at the Combine.

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm no expert on the rules, but, surely the pick and roll would be outlawed under "obstruction", right?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | January 14, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I would love for Drew Yates to be taken by DC too. Does he drop that far though? I dunno. Fischy give me a yes or a no!

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 14, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I think Stahl counts as an international (I doubt senior international)... isn't he from Finland? So, that may be why he dropped so far.

of course, I could be getting him mixed up with someone else.

Posted by: TCompton | January 14, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

grubbsbl,

thats why i said im dreaming. im pretty sure he'll be taken somewhere in the rest of the second round. he was supposedly one of the top performers in the combine.

Posted by: wiz-skins07 | January 14, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

oh god,

the fire tok Yates. i HATE the fire.

Posted by: wiz-skins07 | January 14, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

@grubbs -- Apparently, the answer is no...

Still, there are good players left on the board. Don't know if there are 25 more, but....

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping that DCU take a chance on Luis Gil. You can't do better than that if your first pick is #55.

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to say Yates won't drop.

Posted by: Reignking | January 14, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

fischy,

i didnt even notice he was still on the board.

are any of you watch the live coverage from the superdraft? the people from mlsinsiderblog.com come on every 15 min.

Posted by: wiz-skins07 | January 14, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

File this under "way too bored at work:"
Because of the draft, trades and Perkins signing, etc I was wondering who had the highest average Goff score (1-10) over the course of last season. So I dumped the stuff in a spreadsheet and averaged them out. Here they are for the 'regulars' as designated by the WA Post. (Note the last three games were not listed...hmm..ratings fatigue?)

Burch 5.09
Simms 5.24
Wallace 5.43
Wicks 5.83
Kocic 5.27

Team average: 5.49
SD 0.29
Some interpretations: Namoff was highest rated; Burch was lowest rated, over the course of the season. Gomez is surprisingly strong. Many of the lower-rated players are now gone: Emilio, Fred, Jacobson. Simms, voted MVP by teammates, is below team average (somethings can't be quantified).

Interestingly: Wicks had the highest personal Standard Deviation, meaning by Goff's ratings, his play was the most erratic, although he had a high average.

Overall, the team has reduced the number of lower performers from last season, according to Goff. Makes you wonder whether he is really pulling the strings....??

Or does Onalfo and company have the same spreadsheet?

Posted by: reedd1 | January 14, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Guzan gets a shutout, with help from the goalpost.

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I didn't think Gomez was as bad as some did. I think he suffered from a total lack of support. What is surprising is the low rating for Simms. I thought it was an off year for him, despite his selection as DCU's MVP -- but I didn't think it was that far off.

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Correction to ratings post:

Gomez is highest, Namoff second. Read the results too quickly. Does this boost Gomez's value on the market, will DCU keep him?

Posted by: reedd1 | January 14, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

another player DCU should really consider is Irving Garcia. They say his height is whats making him fall so much, hes 5' 5'. But they say that the kid has serious game and can play.

Posted by: wiz-skins07 | January 14, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Another Terp selected -- Tangney to Chivas.

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Poor team play seems to lower individual ratings, IMHO. Whether that's on purpose, I can't say. You could have the same play and get a 6 in a win, and 5 in a loss. More losses = lower ratings. The story of 2009.

Posted by: JkR- | January 14, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wiz-skins07

hehe...I thought you meant he was so tall that he was apt to fall, until I read his height...

Posted by: Reignking | January 14, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Poor team play seems to lower individual ratings, IMHO.

Posted by: JkR- |

That's just soccer...hard to evaluate.

Posted by: Reignking | January 14, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Jersey out for sale...
ridiculous price..
I guess jerseys aren't recession friendly..

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 14, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

haha... fischy, thanks for the answer. I didnt see Yates going to far.

I agree with your Luis Gil pick. I'd like to see that too. As a stated earlier, I like the young prospects already on DC's roster. I think we need a top class striker and possibly another center back.

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 14, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 14, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Is it any different?

Posted by: Reignking | January 14, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Goff twitted that Nowak had been talking to Kasper earlier during the first round. Any chance we would actually trade back to get McInerny (our original pick)? Ives had said DC seemed to covet the kid. This is just wishful thinking on my part as it would be nice to get something from the draft (besides Perkins, indirectly).

I liked the idea about Gil, though chances of it panning out are quite a long shot.

Posted by: JaimeSegundo | January 14, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

yeah its different.
Nice return to a red collar. It looks sharp.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 14, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

@Jaime2do -- They'd have almost 2 years to get Gil thru high school and sign him to a deal. Gotta be better than anyone else who will be available at 55.

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if I like the stripe down the shorts.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | January 14, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

if the Union get Irving Garcia in the fourth round it will be the best draft ever.

Posted by: wiz-skins07 | January 14, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Point taken fischy on Gil. Nothing to lose at the expense of passing up a REAL long shot for a diamond in the rough.

Posted by: JaimeSegundo | January 14, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

about Gil, there's nothing to lose in the 4th Round really. go after Luis Gil or Irving Garcia. Preferably Garcia, altough i doubt he's there.

Posted by: wiz-skins07 | January 14, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

another tidbit on Gil,

he didnt sign with the MLS and is not available for this draft. bummer.

Posted by: wiz-skins07 | January 14, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Ives is saying Gil's not available in the draft. Still, there are some decent players left as the 4th round starts. Ironically, 2 goalies at the top of the list. Maybe, DCU takes a chance on Garcia -- even if the team signs a playmaker, they will need a backup.

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Odd pick by Philly -- a keeper.

Posted by: Reignking | January 14, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

fischy, im curious to know your thoughts on Garcia.

plus Ives had him as one of the 20 best players in the draft check this out.

Posted by: wiz-skins07 | January 14, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

and there goes Garcia.

Posted by: wiz-skins07 | January 14, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

I don't have thoughts on Garcia -- never seen him play. Sounds good though. For a team that brought in El Muneco as a DP, they can't be too afraid of his small stature.

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

OK -- Maybe DCU goes for another Kiwi in Edgington, or Two-Boys -- or maybe they were impressed with JT Noone from Ocean City in the Open Cup and pick him?

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

@Reignking -- I wouldn't be surprised to see Knighton dealt back to NE, but it's not crazy to carry a third goalie, even with Perk's resume.

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

OK -- wait for it -- DC United is on the clock.

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gooner | January 14, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Here's what I got on Graye -- Not a lot of playing time, so he's rough. Scored his first goal to beat Va. Tech in October. He missed the final PK against Akron in the College Cup semis.

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

OK -- Graye was All-Met at DeMatha.

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

This guy actually had DCU taking Graye in a mock draft:

Graye was in DCU's Academy, so they know him well.

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

I think Philly absolutely stole this draft. They got the 1 striker, the two players DC were coveting, the sleeper striker, and the last u-20 goal keeper. Damn.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | January 14, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Houston's desperate to keep Stuart Holden, so they draft his brother....

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I also forgot the best defensive midfielder. I'm just waiting for Nowak to acquire Opara for his Chicago jersey.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | January 14, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

DK and KP should be getting on planes tonight. We need a lot of help.

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Even being kind about the current roster -- they're at 20 or 21 players that will start the season...Realistically, they're probably at 18 or 19 with maybe one or two bodies that should never see the pitch outside of the Open Cup, and Barklage still rehabbing. That leaves at least 3 roster spots to be filled -- and the team could use 3 more starters (striker, AM, and CB). I hope they've got irons in the fire.

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

... and that the irons have speed, height, and a first touch.

Posted by: dsheon1 | January 14, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

congrats to PU. they had a great draft, if they have the patience to let these guys develop. Okugo is a wonderful talent who will torment DCU for as many years as they can keep him before he heads to Europe.

Posted by: troy6 | January 14, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse