MLS Labor Update

In their continuing effort to reach a deal on a new collective bargaining agreement, MLS and the players' union announced Thursday that the sides will extend negotiations through Feb. 12. The current contract is set to expire Sunday.

"While we still have areas of disagreement, the talks have been constructive and both parties believe it makes sense to continue to work hard to reach agreement," MLS Commissioner Don Garber said in a prepared statement. "This extension provides the opportunity to continue our discussions while clubs are in training camps preparing for the season."

Union chief Bob Foose said the sides concluded that a new agreement couldn't be reached by Feb. 1, "but we have agreed to continue to talk."

By Steve Goff  |  January 28, 2010; 6:24 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: African Cup, Sol, Cabanas, U-20s
Next: Weekend TV Listings

Comments

Losing a training camp will have no impact on the season (It is just soccer, how much practice do these guys need?) so it's pretty much a given that they'll push this out until the point of having to cancel games. I've got no new info other than that the Feb. 1 date was not going to happen, so your guess is as good as mine as to when the first game will be played or how many teams will be left when that happens. I'd expect them to return right after the World Cup.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | January 28, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

PB69 has small hands and smells of cabbage...

Posted by: JkR- | January 28, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I don't think they will push it until games start. The players union would get frustrated by that point and pull their players. MLS also doesn't want a strike or even more media coverage on the negotiations. Both sides want the agreement as soon as possible.

Posted by: Jooseppi | January 28, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

The United will be officially locked out a week from tomorrow, it would be nice if we could read the insider details here.

Posted by: PowerBoater69| January 23, 2010 12:15 PM

You were saying? I know life is tuff when baseball season is over and you must be starved for attention, but couldn't you just go the heck back Remmington's and talk to some people who actually cares about your opinion?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 28, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Easy there, dad.

FYI (For your information) Powerboater, we do not refer to DC United as "The United" like with "The Caps or The Redskins or The Wizards". We simply refer to them as United. Or DC. Or DC United. Just not The United. Cheers.

Posted by: redskinsux | January 28, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

I don't live in DC but I do plan on visiting several times this year to catch a few games and hang with the faithful. Please advise, which part of town must I say clear of so as to avoid running into THE THING THAT WON'T LEAVE these boards?

I'd rather not smell of cabbage.

Posted by: Kosh2 | January 28, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Good point about their not being a lockout on Feb 1. You have to admit I was half right, the CBA will not be signed by that date.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | January 28, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

rsdskinsux -- FYI -- PB69 knows that full well. You're hardly the first to attempt to "correct" this clown. When this smelling-of-cabbage cartoonish internet-troll uses "The United", it's intentional. He trolls around a number of blogs on the Post site -- probably others around the 'net, too. I guess "It" gets a kick out of being talked about, so I'll stop.

Posted by: fischy | January 28, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

redskinsux, where you been dude? "THE" Dooosh Nozzle PB69 has been at his "THE" Schtick for ages. You either haven't been reading this blog very long,or have a very selective memory. At any rate, you irritated me the last time you tried to scold me for not kissing Ives backside and this is no different. I don't need you telling me to mind my manners brother. There ain't no father to my style round' here so stop frontin'.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 28, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

The United were not even referenced in either of my posts???

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | January 28, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

@pb69: earlier today I remarked that the world wouldn't come to an end by 8:00 PM Eastern time and I would become a multimillionaire by dinnertime. I guess I was half right.

Posted by: griffin1108 | January 28, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

PB69 lost his high school sweetheart to a soccer player, so he's been demoralized ever since.

I'll never understand why the Post doesn't just block his IP address from posting to blogs.

Posted by: alecw81 | January 28, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

redskinsux, I apologize for getting so snappy at you. THE pb is just a tool bag, and if you've read any of the inflammatory garbage he posts on all the Posts blogs you'd be quick to light him/her up as well.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 29, 2010 1:45 AM | Report abuse

Dad-

Thanks for your note. I have a vague recollection of PB's nonsense...you say that he frequently posts "inflammatory garbage"? That may be the case but it would be a travesty to stoop to that level. ; )

Posted by: redskinsux | January 29, 2010 4:28 AM | Report abuse

Gentlemen, let's not do a reenactment of a Post political column comments thread. There's enough of that stuff already in the world.

Posted by: M__N | January 29, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse