Monday Kickaround

*Trailing 4-0 in the 79th minute, Mali scores four times to draw host Angola on the opening day of the African Cup of Nations. Defender Bakary Soumare, formerly with the University of Virginia and Chicago Fire, played 90 for Mali. "It is hard to digest anything like this after 32 years of coaching," Angola Coach Manuel Jose said.

*Today, Algeria -- a U.S. World Cup opponent this summer -- is playing Malawi (and losing 2-0 early in the match).

*Liverpool executive Tom Hicks Jr.resigns after responding to a supporter with a nasty e-mail.

*First seen on the Insider's Twitter page: Bryan Arguez, the former U.S. under-20 national team midfielder who spent one year with D.C. United before being sold to Hertha Berlin, has headed to Brazil for training with Flamengo. Arguez was a bust at Hertha, falling out of favor with off-field issues.

*Oregon State forward Danny Mwanga, a native of the Democratic Republic of Congo who left school after two seasons, will be the first pick in the MLS draft Thursday by the expansion Philadelphia Union. Read more about him in this Oregonian feature.

*Since Curt Onalfo was named D.C. United's coach, I have been estimating his salary at $200,000. (Unlike players' earnings, coaching contracts are not made public.) Several sources tell me that figure is too low. So my new guess is $300,000. We'll go with that until the next clarification.

*Over 20 years, "The Simpsons" has had fun at soccer's expense on more than one occasion. (The show is an equal-opportunity snarker.) But in an amusing sketch on last night's anniversary special, groundmain_811419a.jpgAberdeen Manager Mark McGhee was interviewed at Pittodrie Stadium, making a case that Groundskeeper Willie is originally from Aberdeen, not Glasgow.

By Steve Goff  |  January 11, 2010; 9:12 AM ET
Categories:  Africa , Americans Abroad , College Soccer , D.C. United , MLS , Scotland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans Abroad
Next: D.C. United: Midfielders

Comments

"Come on Aberdeen!"

Posted by: JkR- | January 11, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

does anyone know if the african nations cup will be televized and if so on what channel for comcast in DC?

Posted by: GraciasRiquelme | January 11, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I would be impressed if Arguez would be able to make the Flamengo roster. But maybe Adriano is leaving? Dream season for Flamengo this past year...

Posted by: alan19 | January 11, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Grounds keeper bit: Pretty funny.

Tom Hicks thing: That was dumb of him.

But as for Arguez, if he comes to MLS, we got to keep him- we own his rights. Trading him away would be a mistake, as he is a sure thing as anything we could get in the first round of the draft. His play at the u-20's was pretty impressive. He'd help fill the creative gap, and bolster our youthful core.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | January 11, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Stay classy, Hicks! That is hilarious, though. I'm sure his daddy will give him another job, but fans deserve it sometimes :)

Good news for Arguez...

On Saturday, Mwanga and his former club coach, Monty Hawkins, went to a Men's Wearhouse to buy a suit for the Jan. 14 MLS SuperDraft.

Now that is some in-depth reporting! Great story on Mwanga...could be the soccer version of The Blind Side.

Posted by: Reignking | January 11, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Two-Boys Umede is at the combine. If DC drafts him, how many boyzzz will they have?

Posted by: OWNTF | January 11, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Ho-leeeeee! 5 months till WC! Dudes, I cannot wait!

Posted by: Matte | January 11, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

That Simpsons special was great. If you missed it, I'd suggest checking it out. If for nothing else to drool over the gorgeous grounds at Aberdeen.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 11, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Malawi finishes off Algeria 3-0. They are currently ranked 103 in the world with Algeria ranked 20 something. Did Algeria not send their A squad?

If that's not 3 points for us in group play, it will be an embarrassment.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | January 11, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

No doubt Hicks Jr. responded that way after receiving countless nasty e-mails himself and a few death threats as well.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | January 11, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

If he is picked up by Flamengo, would he be the first American to play professionally in Brazil? I can't remember another player who has played down there.

Posted by: wanker82 | January 11, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Re: Arguez. "Off-field issues" is always a red flag for me.

Posted by: b18bolo | January 11, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Fulham agree loan for Okaka

Posted by: Reignking | January 11, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I thought Groundskeeper Willie was from North Kilt Town.

Posted by: BooThisMan | January 11, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

@UnitedDemon - I am pretty sure we do NOT own Arguez' MLS rights since we took part of a transfer fee for him. Had he left after we let his contract expire, then we would still own his rights forever - in the bizarro-world of MLS ;-)

If I get Doug Hicks to send me a profanity-laced email, can I be in the paper? It can't be too hard, I can usually get him to cuss at me in person ;-)

Posted by: dcufan | January 11, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Re: Arguez. "Off-field issues" is always a red flag for me.

Posted by: b18bolo | January 11, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

This isn't the first time he's been left off of a team due to "off-field" issues, either. It took me a while, but I found a link where Arguez was removed from the U-20 training camp a year ago.

Posted by: Josh86 | January 11, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Any chance United will sign Arrigaga I or Arrigaga II for this season?

Posted by: IamAM | January 11, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I thought Groundskeeper Willie was from North Kilt Town.

Posted by: BooThisMan | January 11, 2010 1:36 PM
--------------------

You nailed it. And when he finally cashes in his retirement-grease he's gonna move back there.

Just remember, there's no Angus McCloud in North Kilt Town.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 11, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wanker82 | January 11, 2010 12:36 PM
__________________________________________

Cobi Jones?

Posted by: universityandpark | January 11, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I thought Groundskeeper Willie was from North Kilt Town.

Posted by: BooThisMan | January 11, 2010 1:36 PM
--------------------

Just remember, there's no Angus McCloud in North Kilt Town.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 11, 2010 2:40 PM
--------------------

Onalfo should adopt the "You thievin' grease bandits! I'll kill ya!" attitude to motivate the lads during practice.

Posted by: Brother_of_Poopy_McPoop | January 11, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Arguez did play well with the u20s, but his off-field issues were rumored here, with u20 teams before that, and at Hertha. I don't see him as a sure thing at all. In fact, at this point my expectation is that he doesn't amount to much as a pro.

Throw in the fact that Onalfo's reputation is that of a player's coach (rather than a fierce disciplinarian), and the loss of one of the club's true leaders, and I think what we need right now are players who can police themselves.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 11, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

OT but this exciting news just in; Tom Hicks Jr is replacing Gibbs as Obama's press secretary. He'll be making the rounds of the Sunday talk shows this weekend, starting with Chris Wallace at Fox . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | January 11, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Totally agree with Chest on Arguez. He's a very gifted athlete, so he seems to do well in trials, but his "off field issues" or lack of work ethic or whatever have always held him back, and will probably continue to hold him back. Of course there is a possibility that he will mature, but until we see it, you definitely cannot consider him a sure thing.

Posted by: DCUMD | January 12, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse