D.C. United News and Notes

Although this morning's gathering at RFK Stadium was to formally introduce Curt Onalfo as head coach of D.C. United -- and I will have much more on the hiring later today and tomorrow -- plenty of other club news surfaced.

The first noteworthy item: The heat wasn't working in the VW Lounge. Gotta love RFK. New stadium soon? Don't hold your breath. "Things are pretty much the same," club president Kevin Payne said. "We remain interested in D.C., but we are having conversations with Maryland and a jurisdiction in Virginia." Zzzzz.....

Onalfo declined to discuss the assistants on his staff, but all indications point to Kris Kelderman, Ben Olsen and Mark Simpson -- an all-MLS alumni quartet, three of whom played for both Virginia and DCU.

Player updates:

*The club has exercised the option on midfielder Fred's contract and he will return. Said Onalfo: "I like him a lot. Obviously, he had some personal issues to deal with last year [father's death, child's operation] and probably didn't play to his potential. Having said that, I like his qualities. I think he can be a very effective attacking playmaker or a wide player. We're going to look at him in both of those spots and look forward to him having a positive year for us."

*The club did not renew the option on playmaker Christian Gomez and expects to readdress the situation next week. Gomez is free to sign outside of MLS but could re-work a deal with United. "I think he wants to come back," Payne said, "but in our league, it's a matter of resources."

*Captain Jaime Moreno said a potential loan deal to Bolivian club Blooming is dead. "It's off, unforunately," he said. Insurance was part of the issue; essentially, DCU needed a policy in place in case of injury (remember Olsen with Nottingham Forest?). Moreno said he will continue to explore loan opportunities this winter, but obviously time is running out. "I'm going to be 36 and I need to be moving," he said, explaining the purpose of a possible three-month loan. "To relax and rest [all winter] is too long." He also said his contract with DCU is almost finalized. "We're close."

For the latest on Luciano Emilio, Bryan Namoff and the goalkeepers.....

*Namoff, who was sidelined the last portion of the season with a concussion, is making progress, Onalfo said. "He is coming along. He said he has made great progress the last month. We're optimistic he will continue to make progress. We're going to be smart with him and get him back as soon as we can."

Added Payne: "The doctors say he will be fine, but it's a waiting game. We're spending a lot of time planning in case he can't come back or comes back later. We have to consider the possibility."

*Emilio is exploring opportunities in Latin America, and in case he does not return, United is keeping its eye on the international market. "That is one of the positions we are looking at, although we do think we might have some of those answers in our group," Payne said. "There is a general feeling that Chris Pontius should play in one position if possible. Circumstances didn't allow it last year. Forward is probably his best position. We are looking, but we are also looking within."

*United expects Josh Wicks (shoulder, knee surgeries) to be back on the field in mid-March, just a couple weeks before the season opener at Kansas City. General Manager Dave Kasper said Milos Kocic and Bill Hamid are in the mix, but the club will continue to weigh its options.

*On an unrelated note, University of Notre Dame goalkeeper Andrew Quinn (DeMatha High School) will have a week-long trial with Glasgow Rangers this month, according to his father, Tony, a longtime soccer photographer.

By Steve Goff  |  January 5, 2010; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tuesday Kickaround
Next: MLS Labor Issues Heat Up

Comments

I think [Fred] can be a very effective attacking playmaker
==================

I like that idea too, especially with the new winger coming in.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 5, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

We need a good draft, and with Emilio on his way out, will have a lot of money to spend. Assuming we have around 500k to spend, I'd rather see a couple younger players brought in than one DP. It's time to rebuild instead of going the Dan Snyder route of trying to make it to the Championship game every year. This should be a 2 year process at the very minimum. I don't see us missing out on the playoffs this year however, regardless of how good Philly is in it's expansion year.

Posted by: wanker82 | January 5, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

ah...got my DCU fix.... so glad to have you back Goff!

Posted by: nairbsod | January 5, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or is this chock-full of some serious downer news?

Fred's back? Oy. Playmaker? "Like him a lot"? Has anybody watched the films from last year? Unless he's color-blind and can't distinguish different team jerseys, his passing stinks. Gomez, for all his fitness issues, would still be a better option.

Namoff's still recovering? The defense is in biiiiigggg trouble...

I wouldn't count on Wicks' health either. These are injuries that will continue to plague him.

Posted by: fischy | January 5, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm very interested to see how things work out with Fred this year.

Posted by: TassieTiger | January 5, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

"...in MLS it's a matter of resources..." As opposed to what? Oh right, Chelsea.

Posted by: EssEff | January 5, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

The staff at United must see a different Fred, because all of my memories from him last year were him shooting off frame, having a bad first touch, passing to the other team, and not tracking back on D.

When he has the ball at his feet, it feels like he should be creative, I'm just blanking on any good Fred moments from last year.

Maybe in a different formation it'll be different?

Posted by: eadc | January 5, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Before you know Fred, go watch a training session. Fred is the most talented player on the team. Let's embrace change not complain about it.

Posted by: o35_still_kicking | January 5, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm not excited about Fred's return, but DCU couldn't gut the entire roster.

Pontius maybe up front? That's good news.

Posted by: Reignking | January 5, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Fred would be fine in a position that has little or no defensive responsibility. But he does need to get back to being as good at distributing as he is at dribbling too much.

I like the assistants.

Losing Namoff would be a BIG set back.

Over a year later and this club still has nothing going for it in working towards a permanent home. I think we will just need to be comfortable with finding a way to support this club in a non-METRO-friendly location...unfortunate...

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | January 5, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Well Fred did have a tough season off the field, as was stated above. You'd have to have ice water for blood to not be impacted by that kind of stuff. I was one of those who was really tough on the guy last year, but now (with a clamer head and some form of residual sanity surfacing) I could see how it was a RICHARD move on my part. I owe you an apology, Fred, considering the tough year it was for you. But dude, you really did get the blood boiling last year. It's in the past. I say give the guy another shot, why not.

However at playmaker? I defer to Chest on this one. I know he played there in the A league's early days, but MLS is a bit faster and rougher in my opinion, so I'm not so sure on that one.

Posted by: Kosh2 | January 5, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I just hope this doesn't mean more of the old 3-5-2 anymore. Clearly we need to steer clear of the lethargic play it engenders.

Fred can still be useful, especially since Pontius, Wallace, Castillo, and Quaranta (and apparently Khumalo) are all get up and go players. He slows it down and holds up play, they speed it up.

Still think we missed an opportunity to use Fred, Emilio, or Gomez as tranfer bait, but oh well.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | January 5, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

kosh, I don't think it was just last year, though -- so you are excused :)

Posted by: Reignking | January 5, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Fred would not be able to play until week 2 - due to his red card vs KC.

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | January 5, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Uh, sounds like same old, same old. Other than the edition of Castillo, the United 2010 version will be United 2009, Version 1.2.

Here's hoping Fred will regain his form, but otherwise . . what's new . . maybe the same Emilio at a lower price, same Jaime but a year older and likely slower given that he's not going to be playing this Winter, a young, however talented Pontius, a year older . . .

Posted by: delantero | January 5, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

New year, New Coach, New Players, New Hardware to win.

Give the coach a chance.

Vamos United

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | January 5, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

addition, edition, redaction

Posted by: delantero | January 5, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Finally someone who will use Fred properly, I think DC has the wings taken care off. Now to work on the engine..a good playmaker

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 5, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

what happen to Cronin?

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 5, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Applause to Onalfo for trying Fred at playmaking mid. Maybe he was impressed by the fact that Fred was the Aussie league MVP at this position. Maybe Fred's problem was being played out of position by a stubborn Soehn. I've always wanted to see Fred in the middle. Maybe it will work.

Posted by: runningcloud | January 5, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

slightly related to a post here, why does anyone think PU is going to be any good this year? seattle hit the jackpot last year with a DP who was really a DP, a great keeper who was willing to play at a discount to be at home, and a phenomenal rising star pulled out of seemingly nowhere. seattle's luck is not a recipe for any other expansion team to be good. does PU have a DP, another DP-caliber player willing to take lesser money, and a next-great-thing player? i'm thinking they are going to stink it up big time. can't wait for that road trip.

closer to home: based on the recent news, how do you loyalists imagine our starting line-up? imagine Namoff, Wicks, Fred, and Jaime are all here and healthy.

Posted by: troy6 | January 5, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I hope he proves me wrong this season, but after watching him for three seasons, I don't see Fred being productive in this league (regardless of his talent level).

Posted by: VTUnited | January 5, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

fred is the alex semin of dc united

Posted by: andrew23 | January 5, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't Cronin on loan?

Posted by: Reignking | January 5, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Cronin was a loaner that should be a keeper (yes it's the return of the bad puns part 23 1/7).

Posted by: Kosh2 | January 5, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Wicks is not a long term solution in goal. Not only is his health an issue, but he has shown zero of the leadership qualities needed from a keeper. DCU needs to look elsewhere (and to the future) at GK.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | January 5, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Fred always seemed most dangerous (and I'm thinking of two years ago here) when he drifted away from the wing back toward the middle of the field. He just never seemed all that comfortable on the wing, especially on the left side. So this move may pay some dividends. And unlike some of his teammates, Fred has never sulked or thrown a tantrum or been a distraction to his teammates, despite his personal travails. I'm crossing my fingers for a successful 2010 for him; he deserves it.

Posted by: jburksva | January 5, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Fred in the middle makes much more sense than playing him wide. Also like Pontius up front. DCU actually made some news!

Posted by: owendylan | January 5, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

My hope for the new year (new season) is that, using a basketball analogy, DCU becomes more of a fast break minded team instead of the walk-it-up half court style that so focus on Emilio posting up on the 18 and very little movement off of the entry.

With the addition of Castillo, DCU should feature Wallace's speed overlapping while the support crashes BOTH post with confident runs. SPEED x CREATIVITY = TROPHY

This team should start "looking" more like Barca or Arsenal...the MLS-caliber defenders will have a difficult time with so much MOVEMENT...the past 2 years have dominate by people out of position and having cement boots.

2010: the arrival of ONE-TOUCH-FOOTBALL :) in DC!!

Posted by: oneborntwice | January 5, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Look... (I have decided to start every remark like someone in the Obama Administration)...I could be wrong about Fred, Pontius, et al.

Fred should be a good playmaker. Pontius should be a good forward. Wallace could be a good left back. Wicks could stay healthy and even grow as a goalie (he's practically a kid by professional goalie standards). And, Namoff could stay healthy.

If so, here's a good-looking lineup:

-- Moreno ---- Pontius --
Castillo -- Fred -- Simms -- Quaranta
Wallace -- James -- Jakovic -- Namoff
----- Wicks -----

If Fred doesn't keep turning the ball over, if Pontius suddenly develops a knack for putting the ball in the net instead of at the goalie or wide, if Quaranta stays healthy, if Wallace and James suddenly figure out how to pay defense, if Namoff doesn't suffer from the past or recurring concussions, if Wicks surgically-repaired joints holdup...That seems like a lot of "ifs". Based on how the individuals performed last year and the probability of injury recurrence, none of these "ifs" seem to me as likely as their converse. What seems to me to be more likely to happen is that Pontius will struggle to score, Quaranta will keep getting hurt, Fred will really struggle and give the ball away a lot (leaving the defense in vulnerable positions) Wallace and James will be repeatedly exposed, Namoff will suffer another concussion (hate to be fatalistic, but too often that's just how it works) and Wicks will reinjure either his knee or shoulder.

The team cannot go into this season with any level of confidence without finding at least 3 of these 4 things: a healthy, starting-caliber goalie, another starting-caliber defender, a proven scorer and a proven playmaker. I don't see any of these things on the current roster.

Posted by: fischy | January 5, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Fred has been playing out of position since he arrived in DC. I think him being our starting attacking mid is a good idea. I hope it works.

Posted by: Atlanta4MLS | January 5, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

-- Moreno ---- Pontius --
Castillo -- Fred -- Simms -- Quaranta
Wallace -- James -- Jakovic -- Namoff
----- Wicks -----

So what do we need then?

* A third forward who has scored actual goals in MLS.
* One more uptempo guy in midfield
* Perhaps a good journeyman defender (although lord knows we have had some poor ones over the years).

I'm staying positive about the keeper situation, if Wicks is still a liability then it's time for the backups to step up.

Posted by: M__N | January 5, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

What makes everyone think Fred's a #10?

He's played there before for us. I don't recall any groundbreaking, Etcheverry style plays. Nor did he disappoint horribly.

He's small and not particulary strong. He's fast, but can't really cross the ball well.

In the physical play of MLS, I don't think he'll last long in the middle.

Posted by: delantero | January 5, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

We still need a strong center back and a strong forward. Neither Moreno nor Emilio should be starting for us.

Posted by: Atlanta4MLS | January 5, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

"if Pontius suddenly develops a knack for putting the ball in the net"

Bunker Bob is working on that right now!

Posted by: delantero | January 5, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Jesus H. Christ, Onalfo! What the hell is going on???...Said Onalfo: "I like him (Fred) a lot."

Fred? You mean the Fred from last year??? Not a good start in getting the support of the DCU loyalists. fischy, couldn't be more surprised at your comment with Fred in the starting XI.

Blah. I am going to puke.

Posted by: redskinsux | January 5, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or is this chock-full of some serious downer news?

Posted by: fischy | January 5, 2010 12:27 PM

My thoughts exactly. Only positive sounding thing in this blog entry is the (obvious) move of Pontius to up top.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 5, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

What makes everyone think Fred's a #10?

Posted by: delantero |

I thought I was going crazy...I remember the same...

Posted by: Reignking | January 5, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

We had five major players whose situations needed to be resolved this offseason. We are getting closer to that:

Olsen - Retired, likely joining as assistant coach
Moreno - Coming back (likely)
Emilio - Leaving (likely)
Gomez - If returning, doing so at a reduced salary
Fred - Coming back

So it's perfectly plausible to see a team next season with only Fred and Moreno from this group. I would have no problem with that outcome - it frees up LOTS of cap space and in my mind Fred and Gomez are equal in value (they bring different skills but I would value them as close to the same). Now, if we wind up with four out of five returning, then I'd say we have a problem.

I liked Onalfo's presser. He said a lot of the right things without seeming like he was trying to say the right things, if that makes sense. I'm looking forward to hearing from him tonight.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | January 5, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

@redskinsux -- What did you find surprising in my comment? My recognition of what Goff's telling us in this post -- that the team is looking at Fred as the starting AM? Or, that I said I think he is more likely to really struggle in the position, turning the ball over a lot and leaving the defense in precarious situations?

Posted by: fischy | January 5, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Well, apparently Fred is great in training, though . . . that's my problem -- I need to skip the games and get to more training sessions, I guess . . .

Posted by: fallschurch1 | January 5, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

@VercengetorixII -- Yup. They've freed up a bunch of cap room. It remains to be seen what they do with it. I've heard nothing to suggest they are looking at another DP -- in fact, the only quote on the topic suggested they're not. That would leave room for several good players, but nothing seems to be in the offing. Maybe they're waiting for Viera, or another DP after the World Cup? The needs are there -- I think I've set them out -- and the cap room should be there to fill the needs. I await further developments.

Posted by: fischy | January 5, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

ugh! At least we dumped Gomez. Or did we?

We need a credible GK too. Wicks had some good moments but unless he is also undergoing some sort of psychological counseling he is not the answer.

Posted by: fedssocr | January 5, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Testy, testy... The optimism is still out weighing the sky is falling hysterics. Draft coming, transfer window opening up, pretty solid staff of assistants who've got some common thread, sounds pretty promising to me.

I really can't afford to go down to the meet the coach event, but I wish I could. I'm chomping at the bit for every drop of news! I'm telling myself that the money I won't spend going to the bar is money I can spend on a ticket to another game this year. Everything I've read is making me think about what I might be able to dig out of the closets and sell on E-bay to fund some season tickets! Ha!

I'm excited and stoked for everyone who's embracing looking forward.

VAMOS UNITED!

Posted by: DadRyan | January 5, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

people who arent used to seeing Fred play always seem enamored with him. and why not? he has great touch and moves very fluidly, especially when compared with other MLS players. but after watching him for several seasons, the guy just doesn't fit in with this league, whether he is playing out of position or not. he makes bad decisions with the ball, and when he does actually attempt to play defense, it usually is followed with a foolish challenge that results in a booking (i recall at least 2 just stupid red cards in his time here). i do not understand the move to keep him at all. at his price, "depth" is not a sufficient reason.

Posted by: VTUnited | January 5, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

fischy:

The only truly bad news is that Namoff isn't definitely ready to go by now. That's worrying from both a DCU fan perspective and in terms of his personal health.

Retaining Fred really depends on what we get out of him. In 2007, he did get 7 goals and 7 assists. I'm a little surprised we didn't try to pursue a modest pay cut, but I can't say him sticking around has floored me. Kasper and, now, Onalfo must be sure they can bring back the 2007 version.

Onalfo wants to see him as a playmaker, but I still have my doubts about him succeeding there. His decision-making isn't sharp enough; the main factor in most of his turnovers last year wasn't a lack of skill on the ball, it was that he tried to force a play that simply could not work.

Let me frame it another way: Fred, on the wing, faces fewer defenders (generally, an outside back and an outside midfielder), probably a lower standard of defending (generally speaking, players are played centrally because they're smarter and more responsible than the guys that end up wide), and gets more space (due to the lower number of people from both teams out there). On the wing, Fred has been a turnover machine for 2 years.

In the middle, Fred will face more defensive players (defensive midfielder(s), possibly an attacking midfielder, and 2 center backs), a higher standard of defending, and will have less space. How will he suddenly start doing well at creating under more difficult circumstances?

o35_still_kicking:

No disrespect, but a) unless you only mean skills in dribbling, I have a hard time believing that Fred is a more accurate passer/shooter than several other players and b) anyone can pull tricks under little pressure at practice. There are probably thousands of YouTube videos of guys doing amazing trick shots or juggling for hours. None of them is a professional player. Audacious skill is a wonderful thing, but you have to be able to apply it for it to really matter.

Also, how is retaining a player from last year "change"?

UnitedDemon:

No formation requires or causes slow play. We played slow last year because we had physically slow players and mentally slow players bogging things down.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 5, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I can't tell if we are talking about Fred or Freddy.

Posted by: Reignking | January 5, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I think it's also worth noting that Onalfo didn't say "Fred is my #10, period." What he said was that he likes him as a player and wants to analyze him as a central player and as a wide player. What that tells me is that Onalfo is coming in with an open mind. It does not tell me that we are definitely rolling with Fred as the playmaker. We are jumping to conclusions here today, and maybe we should take a step back.

The fact that people in charge have said that they want to move Pontius up front is a good move, in my opinion. fischy does bring up a good point, that Pontius is not yet a lethal finisher. There are two reasons that I'm not very concerned by that fact: First, he'll get better playing up there full time. His movement will improve, which will mean better opportunities, and his finishing will get better the more it's worked on.

Second, I don't think Pontius has to be a 15 goal scorer for us to succeed. His other skills will mean more opportunities for our midfielders and whoever partners him up front. Pontius will probably not score 15, but I can see him getting 10 and at least 8 assists. Instead of the normal United model of "OK, this guy scores all the goals, this guy/these two guys get all the assists, and everyone else just try to help them out", we're going to need several players grabbing a decent goal haul. Losing Emilio's sharpness has to be made up for collectively.

I'm not saying Party Boy is a slam-dunk success story up front. I will say, though, that I think you can make a better case for him than Emilio or the coin toss that would be a foreign acquisition.

We do need to bring in another forward, however. Moreno is 36, and I doubt anyone thinks N'Silu will make it past training camp (I'm still trying to figure out how he wasn't waived with Janicki, Allen, and the rest). Right now, our forward options after Pontius and Moreno are shifting Gomez forward (and he might depart), shifting Quaranta forward (leaving a hole at right midfield), or putting Khumalo up there. Khumalo's a nice MLS role player, but we're not winning anything if he's a regular starter.

Kasper and Onalfo need to come up with at least 1 competent forward, a playmaker, a center back, and a keeper (in no particular order). I hope they have the best of luck, because pulling that off all in one offseason would be very impressive.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 5, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty certain that Fred is in a contract year, so the onus on him is to produce or be cut/waived/traded/whatever. I'm still hoping that we try and trade him (by paying part of his salary obviously), but the idea of playing him in the middle intrigues me. He tries to play centrally, anyway, so this move could work.

As for Moreno, his contract should be much, much lower. No offense, but we can't pay $250K+ for a sub. I see him as a worthwhile offensive option, especially if he isn't forced into playing major minutes. The few times he's come on as a sub he did quite well, so I'd expect him to do the same under Onalfo.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 5, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy
================================

DC can trade for a goalkeeper and a defender. The other two should come from abroad. My suggestions: trade Burch to Colorado in exchange for Gibbs and then try (again) to get Cannon. Colorado needs a leftback, while Gibbs hasn't done well under Smith. Cannon and Yallop had a flare-up at the end of the season, so he might be more attainable than in the past.

As far as a playmaker and forward, DC should try to go after Mejia and Martinez again. It worked with Castillo, so what does DC have to lose by going after them again?

Posted by: jason1551 | January 5, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Such nice news about Quinnie, who also played for DC United youth teams, back at the very beginning of such teams, as well as for DC Stoddert United....

Posted by: DCUSince96 | January 5, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

@fischy

Here is what I see from your comment:

"Fred should be a good playmaker." &

here's a good-looking lineup:

-- Moreno ---- Pontius --
Castillo -- Fred -- Simms -- Quaranta
Wallace -- James -- Jakovic -- Namoff
----- Wicks -----

Chest put it well about the chances of Fred succeeding...But perhaps Fred was indeed having a rough season (because of his personal losses) and can step it up this year. I just hope we don't have another coach that loves Fred as Soehn did.

Posted by: redskinsux | January 5, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

@redskinssux -- Try reading my entire comment (and the one before it, too), rather than plucking out a sentence out of context.

In theory, Fred should be a good playmaker -- but, he's not. As I wrote, he turns the ball over way too much -- and I see no reason to expect that to change...

Posted by: fischy | January 6, 2010 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Mike Shanahan hired as the next Redskin head coach, Alex Ovechkin named as the Capitals captain, and Gilbert Arenas's firearms problem. Not exactly the greatest day for DCU to formally introduce Onalfo as coach. Talk about getting swept under the rug. Wow!

Posted by: croftonpost | January 6, 2010 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Given the previous threads of denunciation, I'm glad for the level of open-mindedness today about Fred as CAM. That's the role I want to see him in. I think he just might be superb there, but if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Let's find out.

Posted by: dccal | January 6, 2010 2:15 AM | Report abuse

I think it is interesting that all DCU coaches played for the team at some point. Has that ever happened before in any league?

Posted by: rtm1 | January 7, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse