Video: Adu Assist, Johnson Goal

Freddy Adu, in his debut with Greek club Aris, sets up Eddie Johnson for a late goal during a 2-1 loss at Xanthi. Adu played 26 minutes, Johnson 20.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

By Steve Goff  |  January 31, 2010; 11:53 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , Greece
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saturday Kickaround
Next: Americans Abroad

Comments

Is that actually a .gif? Amazing.

Glad to see them both playing.

Posted by: Colm1 | January 31, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Flashes of Adu's brilliance from Adu. This may be the club to turn things around for him, and let him finally flourish and get maximum playing time at a team and a league that suits his strengths as a player, and a great coach helping him all through it.

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | January 31, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Wow. When was the last time Freddy played 26 minutes? I()rregardless, I hope this means more playing time for the both Freddy and Eddie.

Don't over-interpret me, I not espousing WC roster slost for them, just hoping for more playing time for my countrymen.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 31, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Well I guess this cements both their places on the final roster for WC 2010. J/K. I hope they keep it up and it is not just a flash in the pan.

Posted by: no_recess | January 31, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, this may qualify them more than our other forward options. Findley has a pathetic touch when he's running with the ball, Cunningham is old and can't partner, and we all grimace when Casey jogs half heartedly around the field.

We need someone to step up, today they just got back in the race.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | January 31, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Off topic:
Rooney helps Manchester United demolish Arsenal at Emirates stadium, 3-1. Sick performance from Rooney. Is there any truth to Barcelona looking to acquire him? That would make Barca very very sick.

Posted by: redskinsux | January 31, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

can you attach some benny hill music to a gif?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 31, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Rooney to Barca? Hahahahahahaha

Speaking of sick, what about Nani's move leading to the first goal?

Posted by: meagle | January 31, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Rooney? Seems to me Nani made that engine run. Brilliant move leads to an own goal . . which Park would have nailed in for a Nani assist had it not gone in. Then Nani meets Rooney perfectly in stride . . .

Now, hows a slow-footed, recovering Gooch going to stop Rooney's quickness?

Posted by: delantero | January 31, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Video at 2:10.

I've heard Madrid and Barcelona have called, and United has replied with an emphatic "no" to both.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | January 31, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Rooney has no interest in Barcelona or Real Madrid. I know this because Rooney and I exchange text messages....

Good ball from Adu. Hope he keeps it up.

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 31, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Bonescan!

Posted by: Hoost | January 31, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Happy that EJ and Adu are getting a little playing time. These guys need something to revive their careers!

Posted by: nairbsod | January 31, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Jacob - thanks for the video. That's one quality "pitch"

Posted by: nairbsod | January 31, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

55 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | January 31, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Hey meagle, before you laugh too much at the Rooney-to-Barca rumors, you should know that they've made inquiries. Man Utd has turned them down flat. Apparently they're putting together a package to keep him there for the rest of his career. I think I saw a figure of 200,00 pounds/week.

Posted by: mmathai | January 31, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Egypt over Ghana in the African final; Nigeria over (depleted) Algeria for third.

Posted by: universityandpark | January 31, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Does DCU have a new center- mid yet. Much as I admired the old Gomez, a return to form after the last two years seems unlikely. And without support for our strikers, DC cannot score enough to be a consistent winner. The loyal DCU fans deserve a big move from management now.

Posted by: lemovs1 | January 31, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lemovs1 | January 31, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Freddy and Eddie have made the big-time in Europe. It looks like there are a good 4 or 500 people at that match!

Posted by: Ron16 | January 31, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

On that first Man U goal, is anyone else as upset as me that they made it an Alumina own goal rather than a Nani goal? That was a SICK play by Nani and it looked to me that it was going in anyway, even if Alumina did not touch it. But I didn't hear the announcers talk about it at all. Am I totally off base?

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | January 31, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

did anyone notice that the ball that Freddy served up went right between the wickets of that keeper? That's the best part of that goal, IMO...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | January 31, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lemovs1 | January 31, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

It's funny you should mention this, as ChestRockwell himself weighs in on this issue over at:

Posted by: DadRyan | January 31, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Appreciate the steer Dad. I read Chest's excellent piece about Ralston and I voted 'intrigued". We really need a center mid now. Fans need to get on this and push management to put up the dough for a first rate acquistion. Much as I like Quaranta personally, he is no center mid (or even a proven regular at right mid.)We are short in the midfield, the backbone of the team. Management may be thinking of giving Gomez another year. As I said I admire him, but that would be a huge gamble. Better to get a new center mid now.
The fans should speak up about this hole in DCU's prospects.

Posted by: lemovs1 | January 31, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Rather keep Gomez over Ralson who is injury prone.

Good player, surprised he never went to europe, he def. had the making to be REALLY good.

With that said, I read a couple days ago that riquelme is going to be out of boca on a free transfer in June.

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | January 31, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for that cool video! Love the slo mo and it's not flash, for those of us who are committed iPhoniacs!

Posted by: Shortpump | January 31, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Pretty unlikely place to launch a comeback. Adu's squad was playing an away game at Xanthi, a rural town in Thrace of around 55,000 people. To paraphrase Kornheiser, Xanthi "is a few miles west of the middle of nowhere."

Posted by: buckworthy | February 2, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse