Preki, Dooley Elected to Hall of Fame

Preki, a two-time MLS most valuable player, and Thomas Dooley, a national team defender who started every match in the 1994 and '98 World Cups, have been elected to the National Soccer Hall of Fame.

Entry is gained by being included on two-thirds of ballots submitted by current and former national team coaches, active MLS coaches with at least four years' tenure, select administrators, designated media members and all Hall of Famers. Voters were permitted to choose up to 10 players.

The top 10 were:

Dooley 70.9 percent
Preki 68.4
----------
Earnie Stewart 58.1
Shannon MacMillan 54.7
Joe-Max Moore 52.1
Marco Etcheverry 50.4
Carlos Valderrama 47.0
Cindy Parlow 38.5
Peter Vermes 37.6
Chris Henderson 31.6

What do you think of the results? Frankly, I am surprised Dooley got in before Stewart. There also seems to be a reluctance of voters to support foreign players who performed here professionally.

By Steve Goff  |  January 14, 2010; 8:37 PM ET
Categories:  History , MLS , U.S. men's national team , USSF
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Selects .....
Next: DCU, USA, MLS, Red Bulls

Comments

Not only did he beat out Earnie but he beat Preki in the voting??

Posted by: rockotodd | January 14, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

I like the Dooley pick. An argument can be made that he helped bring the US Nats out of the dark ages. If Dooley gets in though, Earnie Stewart should get in.

Dooley and Stewart came at a point when we began to dominate the CONCACAF region and they helped bring us a bit of international respect.

I would have a hard time voting for somebody like Etcheverry in the USA Hall. Etcheverry is a DC and Bolivian legend but there is no NATIONAL appeal. Same for Valderrama!

Likewise, I wouldn't expect Brad Friedel to be in England's equivalent of the Hall of Fame.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | January 14, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the picks. Earnie should go in next year, however. As to the comment about foreign players, I think Marco and "El Pibe" are different. Marco had a substantial U.S. career and was involved in winning 3 MLS Cups and multiple other competitions. "El Pibe" was past his sell by date by the time he came to the U.S. and IIRC, never even played in an MLS Cup final. Big, big difference in the two players.

Posted by: griffin1108 | January 14, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I like Dooley -- I'd still like him to give coaching another try -- but I have to agree that Stewart was the more HOF-worthy player.

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Stewart is only the best American to ever play in Europe, scored the most goals in Europe by an American, played on three world cups, captained the team, set the record for goals in qualifying...

What possible argument could people have against him?

Posted by: IamAM | January 15, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

What I noticed is that MLS coaches get a vote, but no women team coaches? I know the WPS hasn't been around that long, but maybe college coaches of women teams could be included. Otherwise, it seems harder for a woman to make it than a man.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | January 15, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Point taken on the woman's issue but I'm not sure Shannon McMillan rises to the level of HOF.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | January 15, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

I think it is pretty lame that Stewart did not get in before Preki. That is total BS and I am not referring to BigSoccer. He scored one of the two most instrumental goals (aside from Caliguiri's strike at T&T) to get the US into the second round of qualifying.

Posted by: no_recess | January 15, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Dooley? Not after his glaring mistake in the World Cup against his friends the Germans. I guess it does send another signal that we would like people from around the world to become citizens to improve the USA MNT.

Posted by: GeneWells | January 15, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

@IamAM: you left "won an MLS Cup" off of Earnie's list of accomplishments.

Earnie was jobbed, but Dooley and Preki are both deserving inductees.

Marco should be automatic, as one of the cornerstones of MLS.

Posted by: EdTheRed | January 15, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Just like it is a joke that prior inductees like Michelle Akers and Eric Wynalda didn't get voted in unanimously, it's ridiculous that almost 42% of voters armed with 10 (10!) votes couldn't agree that Earnie Stewart is one of the 10 most-deserving HOF candidates.

As an example, if anyone voted Chris Henderson or Cindy Parlow in their top 10 at the expense of Earnie, their credentials should be revoked.

Posted by: DWE4 | January 15, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Dooley was a key for the US for so long, I would have voted for him first. Stewart second, and Preki third. Here's hoping stewart gets in eventually.

Posted by: hacksaw | January 15, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse