Saturday Kickaround

*USA midfielder Stuart Holden moves closer to joining Bolton Wanderers from the Houston Dynamo, which already lost Ricardo Clark on free transfer to Eintracht Frankfurt this week.

*To help relief efforts in Haiti and commemorate the USA goal that sent Honduras to the World Cup, Jonathan Bornstein's boots from that qualifier at RFK Stadium in October are being auctioned on eBay. The current top bid is more than $1,100.

*The Insider has learned that the Women's Professional Soccer All-Star Game will be held midseason -- in 2009, it was at the end of the campaign -- and that the schedule will extend into September after wrapping up in late August last year. WPS said last week at the draft in Philadelphia that each of the nine clubs would play 24 league matches (an increase from 20) and the playoff format would remain the same (the top seed receives a bye to the final, while No. 4 plays No. 3 in the first round, with the winner facing No. 2 in the semifinal.) The full league schedule will be finalized next month.

*Glasgow Rangers has extended former Notre Dame goalkeeper Andrew Quinn's tryout for another week, according to his father, Tony, a longtime Washington-based soccer photographer.

On a side note, during the trip to watch his son, Tony returned to his roots in northeast England and stumbled upon former Washington Diplomats star Paul Cannell (37 goals in 1978-79), who runs a pub called The Alexandra just east of Newcastle. He posed here with an old Dips jersey:

cannell.jpg

By Steve Goff  |  January 23, 2010; 11:18 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , College Soccer , England , Freedom , MLS , Scotland , U.S. men's national team , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Emilio Scores in Brazil
Next: Matchnight: USA-Honduras

Comments

Nice cause what Bornstein's doing, but, if he wanted the big money, he should have auctioned off the left side of his forehead.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | January 23, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

damn @JacobfromAtlanta-ish, you stole my joke. well played.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | January 23, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Wow--Paul Cannell! I still remember him mooning the referee. And breaking Bob Rigby's collar bone. And him being featured in a near full page picture, top of the fold, in the W.Post sports section after the Dips took the lead in the Eastern Division in NASL. Kind of like Paul Child (of SJ) in that he wasn't really that skilled. But he played with passion and connected with the fans in a way that most loaned players never did.

Posted by: JoeW1 | January 23, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

For me, besides Cannell's ability to run through walls (or GK's) to score, the legacy of dropping his short against Tulsa (I believe) in 78 is a fond memory.

Glad to see the update. I wonder what the rest of the Dips are up to.

Steele, Green, Rongen (lol), Martin, Horvath, etc.

Posted by: J_S_F | January 23, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

So a Tegucigalpan banana magnate clearly has some extra cash . . I expect them to be bronzed and placed on a pedestal outside the national stadium.

Posted by: delantero | January 23, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Good on the Quinn lad. Very cool photo. Can anyone confirm that's an actual Dips jersey and not just a fan t-shirt? I remember NASL was big on the simple ringer-tees for jerseys, but as a New Yorker, I don't recall the Dips uniform.

Everton's out. I only caught the last 25 minutes, but over at Iver all the comments claim that Neville kept snubbing Donovan. I wonder how that will play out in the locker room.

In Germany, Arjen Robben struck the sweetest free kick you'll ever see to pull one for Bayern.

Speaking of playoffs, I read a proposal the other day that makes great sense to me. Instead of having the two-game home/away playoff in the first round and a single game to determine conference champion, that should be reversed. Less chance of pipsqueaks like NYRB and RSL sneaking through That would better reward the teams who had good regular seasons, though any team that goes out in just one game will feel badly done (I'm feeling my British this morning).

Posted by: fischy | January 23, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

If I were Holden, I would not be thrilled to learn of the Weiss signing. Any chance of being the first sub, or even a sub Ever, just became marginal at best.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | January 23, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah -- 37 goals in 2 season? Make Luci look like a chump.

Posted by: fischy | January 23, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

The United will be officially locked out a week from tomorrow, it would be nice if we could read the insider details here.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | January 23, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | January 23, 2010
---------------------------------------------

IF "The United" is locked out, why do you think you wouldn't be able to read the details here?

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | January 23, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | January 23, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------------------

I was beginning to wonder if the blog was finally fully whole again. So with another re-occurrence we might have to save the Zovirax for the blog after all. Seriously, this blog does get around.

Posted by: Kosh2 | January 23, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Holden's a big boy (from those shores nonetheless) I think he knows that he's not just guaranteed a spot in the Wanderers sign him. He's going to have to fight for a spot (start or sub) just like all the other American players and every other player. You gotta commend the guy for taking the path of improvement over the comfort of certainty. He's a class player and he's about to show it to everyone.

Posted by: Kosh2 | January 23, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

"We" don't need to read the details here, if "we" includes PowerTroller. S/He's already got all the inside dope.

Posted by: fischy | January 23, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

The United info I have comes from a friend, who works with someone, who knows someone, so I hardly have "all the inside dope"; I'd certainly expect to read more reliable info on this blog but I'm not seeing it.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | January 23, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Kind of ironic, a player going from the Fighting Irish to the Glasgow Rangers.

Posted by: BigBubba1 | January 23, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Entertaining match between Tottenham and Leeds (2-2). Leeds lucked out in the end, with the PK. The looked tired and weren't pressuring the Spurs. But Tottenham wasted numerous chances, including a 1st half PK. So maybe it was a fair result after all.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 23, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I remember meeting Paul Cannell at The Sign of the Whale back when he was starring on the pitch and, allegedly, in the boudoir. When I approached him he started to run away, telling me later that he thought I was the husband of one of his many conquests.

Posted by: b18bolo | January 23, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Where will people be watching USA-Honduras tonight? I've been thinking about trying out someplace new. Does anyone ever been to any of the several Velocity Five locations for anything soccer-related? It allegedly has free WiFi, which is a plus for me. However, the few times I've been to the Arlington (Court House) and Merrifield sites, the connection wasn't always reliable.

Didn't Quinn Sr. at least make an effort to get Cannell to drop his drawers?

Posted by: universityandpark | January 23, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Good for Quinnie! HIs friends are rooting for him.

Posted by: DCUSince96 | January 23, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Everyone:

Ignore PowerBoater69. It's easy.

UnitedDemon:

Weiss and Holden aren't really similar players. Weiss is more of a true winger and plays pretty high up the field, while Holden is more versatile and does more defending. With Bolton often playing Kevin Davies alone up front, Holden will be competing for a central spot along with a wide role (especially when they play the better sides).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 23, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Going to Summers tonight for the match, I hear troy6 might be there too... Who needs WiFi with dudes like us around?;)

Posted by: DadRyan | January 23, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

yeah, and finally a match against a concacaf rival that can truly be called a "friendly". sure hope the good feelings last beyond the opening whistle.

Posted by: troy6 | January 23, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

I can't see Holden breaking into the center (he's a playmaker, and you don't see too many centrally in the Premier League) and the competition is still very tough on the wings. I'm also bearing in mind what I saw in the last Everton game- Donovan hardly ever receiving the ball, especially from Neville. Being an American in the Premier league means you have to, say, save your club from being relegated whilst playing a top four team (Dempsey with Fulham against Liverpool).

Also, just heard Ayala was released from Zaragosa. He's 36, but still, want defense?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | January 23, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

After the solid we did them the last night of qualifying, I'd be shocked if they were anything less than graciously friendly. Every one of them may try to swap jerseys with Bornstein.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | January 23, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Also, no Pontius in the 18, Perkins starting in Goal

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | January 23, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Is it me, or is there an astounding lack of caring about the Honduras match? ESPN.com coverage is pathetic. Nothing from Goffinho. If Beckerman's dreads snap in the wind, but no one is there to hear it...does it make a sound?

Posted by: daandre3 | January 23, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Anyone watch Everton today? How did LD play?

Posted by: peridigm | January 23, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Paul Cannell was my favorite Diplomat back in the days when they played at W.T. Woodson high school's field. Thanks for the memories, Insider!

Posted by: balserakpaul | January 23, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

wow man i was 6 years old when i first saw the dips play. Nobody even knew what soccer was. Now dc enjoys 10k+ at every match

Posted by: g3impreza | January 24, 2010 7:39 AM | Report abuse