Monday Kickaround

*The Chicago Fire's head coach is likely to be Mexico's Carlos de los Cobos, who guided El Salvador to the final round of World Cup qualifying. The Fire's interest in de los Cobos was first reported several weeks ago by the Insider, which was tipped off by a loyal reader who spotted him dining with Fire executive Javier Leon. Sources close to the situation later confirmed the club's pursuit of de los Cobos. Other finalists include former D.C. United coach Tom Soehn and Chivas USA midfielder Jesse Marsch, a longtime Fire player.

*New York has apparently decided to hire a foreign head coach. Still awaiting the identity of the new boss.

*We're awaiting word on Freddy Adu's next (futile?) move from Benfica, likely Aris in Greece (which also acquired USA forward Eddie Johnson on loan from Fulham). Hull City was also interested. On his Twitter page, Freddy says: "Ill have something for you guys soon. Took alot of thinking and getting advice from numerous people."

*DCU supporters will have an opportunity to meet new coach Curt Onalfo on Tuesday at Black Finn saloon at 1620 I (Eye) Street NW between 6 and 8 p.m.

*USA training camp opens today at Home Depot Center with a mostly MLS group.

*Former FC Dallas midfielder Michael Dello-Russo will become an assistant at the University of Maryland, his alma mater. Former Terp Leo Cullen, the first overall pick in the 1998 MLS draft who played seven years in the league before entering the agent business, will become an assistant for new Army coach Russell Payne. Payne and Cullen were Maryland teammates. Longtime Brown coach Mike Noonan is the favorite to take over the head position at Clemson.

*As far as I can tell, only two individuals have five MLS Cup rings: former defender Jeff Agoos (three with DCU and two with San Jose) and team administrator Ray Trifari (four with DCU, one with Real Salt Lake). Agoos retired after the 2005 season, and, from what I hear, Trifari is leaving RSL to oversee stadium operations at Baltimore's Oriole Park at Camden Yards.

*Italian defender Marco Materazzi, recipient of Zinedine Zidane's infamous headbutt, is coming to America! To drive a motor home.

*To the reader who e-mailed me about a World Cup statistical book project that he is pursuing, please re-send the message. I mistakenly deleted it. Apologies!

By Steve Goff  |  January 4, 2010; 9:30 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , College Soccer , D.C. United , Greece , Italy , MLS , Mexico , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans Abroad
Next: 2009 Video Rewind

Comments

Happy New Year Everyone!

It's time for a real month of Silly Season for MLS!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | January 4, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

+++++++++++++++++++

This is why the Interweb was invented. Welcome back....

Posted by: JkR- | January 4, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

That Matrix dude is an odd fella. But it should be quite an adventure, and I hope he has fun.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | January 4, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

de los Cobos eh...does he speak any English? Intriguing hire, but I don't know how effective he'll be if he has trouble communicating with half the team. I guess that's what assistants are for, Jesse Marsch perhaps?

Posted by: PEddy | January 4, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Good riddance, Materazzi. Even with him gone, I still hate the Italian national team.

Posted by: TassieTiger | January 4, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

"I won't watch the tournament, the timings won't work out"...
Right... Unless they've built an Interstate all the way across the Pacific to Hawaii dude's going to have a pretty difficult time missing it. Wouldn't he be great on dancing with the stars!?!

Posted by: DadRyan | January 4, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

He won't be driving a Materazzi?

Posted by: Reignking | January 4, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Welcome back, Steve!

See you at RFK tomorrow morning.

Posted by: Snowdog1 | January 4, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Welcome back Steve. Happy new year. We're lucky to have you. Thanks for all you do.

Posted by: Matte | January 4, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Re: Materazzi

""will not even watch this year's tournament after deciding to go on a touring holiday around America.""

Actually, he picked the only country in the world where not watching the Cup is fairly easy. My opinion (and experience) is the rest of the world shuts down for the first round and every TV is on a game.

Posted by: delantero | January 4, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

From his quotes around the time of the zidane thing, he doesn't seem to be the sharpest tack in the box. I hope we learn his route so we can all keep clear.

Posted by: TwoIsle | January 4, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

matterazzi is a fruitcake. Really? Won't watch the world cup? Wow. I'm aghast he would even say such a thing.

Posted by: Matte | January 4, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Seriously; Freddy needs to stop twittering and start figuring out why no one wants him with their club. Friggin egomaniac.

Posted by: hacksaw | January 4, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Marco and Freddy can get away from all electronic devices together this summer in the great wide open spaces of America.

They'd have some comical interactions when their Winnebago breaks down in an isolated stretch of Nevada's Rt 50.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 4, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back, Can we get some CBA negotiation information?

Posted by: decoi | January 4, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Hm, maybe I'll run into Marco while I'm at Yellowstone around July 4th

Posted by: carmines757 | January 4, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Others have hypothesized already that Adu's tweets have been poking fun at the media and their reporting methods in some way. That Aris and Hull have been mentioned only because of Johnson and Altidore. It just seems so darn convenient that Aris and Hull would be the only two clubs mentioned. And if those are actually the two clubs interested, it just doesn't seem right for Adu to come out and say that on his twitter page.

If this whole thing is a joke, then it is kind of funny how big it has gotten.

Posted by: DCUMD | January 4, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say "Maserati"?

"My Maserati does 185
I lost my license, now I don't drive
I have a limo, ride in the back
I lock the doors in case I'm attacked"

Translation: 185 = I-85, license = Italian national team duties, drive = play for Italian national team, limo = RV, and the rest is a metaphor...

Posted by: edgeonyou | January 4, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

It does seem that Adu was joking about Hull...and maybe having a bit of fun with the media reports. Hull isn't a serious prospect for him, since he doesn't meet the EPL work permit requirements -- which, I gather, Adu hinted at in his tweets. A lot of people didn't get that he was probably joking about a News of the World story. The Greek side Aris might be a more serious possibility.

They live in a peculiar world -- which is barely even hinted at in the de los Cobos story. Imagine a world where every dinner, meeting, etc. is reported to a gossip-hungry football media.... Not surprising that Adu might have a little fun with it...

Posted by: fischy | January 4, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say "Maserati"?

"My Maserati does 185
I lost my license, now I don't drive
I have a limo, ride in the back
I lock the doors in case I'm attacked"

Posted by: edgeonyou | January 4, 2010 1:09 PM

So what you're saying is, life's been good so far for Marco Materazzi?

(take that Joe Doc, I know more rock 'n roll than you think :) )

Posted by: SportzNut21 | January 4, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Hm, maybe I'll run into Marco while I'm at Yellowstone around July 4th

Posted by: carmines757 | January 4, 2010 12:19 PM
__________________________________________

I've never been to Yellowstone. Materazzi aside, what are your plans for following the action from out there? (I trust that you're not planning to boycott the event, too.) That reminds me. Four years ago XM Radio set up a special channel that was all World Cup, all the time, for the duration of the tournament. I hope they do it again this time, but I haven't heard anything.

Posted by: universityandpark | January 4, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

hacksaw:

If Freddy can't figure out why he hasn't broken into a European starting eleven, I doubt the extra 10-15 minutes of free time he's using on Twitter are the missing ingredient.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 4, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure there will be some sort of agreement with SiriusXM again. That was great to have back in 06.

Basically, clearing out he Tivo back home and catching as many games in hotels/motels as I can while I'm out there. It's bad timing, but at least I'll be back before the semifinals. If the US makes the later stages, watching it will take precedence over any other plans, believe me. Bears and bison can wait

Posted by: carmines757 | January 4, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. Yeah, you may be right. Or Maybe that post was more about his inflated ego being the problem than about the time it takes to twit.

Posted by: hacksaw | January 4, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Or, maybe you're being a self-righteous doofus?

Either way -- it seems he's not blowing smoke, A Greek paper has him signing a deal for $1.5 million. Not bad for a "frgigin egomaniac".

Posted by: fischy | January 4, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

My bad on the dollar amount. Apparently it's a 1.5 yr contract. NOt sure what to make of this, translated by Google from the Greek:

"He leaves the Gkrasian

In order that the play was consequently in Cleanthes Vikelidis need to empty a foreign location. Like all shows, which will leave the second largest city will be Leantro Gkrasian. The Argentine is a matter of time collaboration solution with Mars. The two sides are in for a few days in discussions on procedural issues of "divorce" them. "

All I get is that he's playing for the Greek God of War, and there's a mysterious Argentine involved.

Posted by: fischy | January 4, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Whatever, the twittering is gay. I tried to post a comment that got sucked up in the filter touching on the fact that Adu needs to hang up and drive. Apparently the E F F word is a bad word now too.As much as technology helps us, it's also turned many a man into a borderline tweenage girl. It's cute guys, but I remember a day when my dad would have humiliated me for talking on the phone longer than 4.5 minutes let alone publishing an internet diary.

It looks bad when a professional athlete is spending too much time talking about anything, or tweeting about it, or running around getting wasted, or in fights or arrested, or what ever when they AREN'T PLAYING.

Just my two cents dudes, you guys aren't failing in Europe so go ahead and twit away.:)

Posted by: DadRyan | January 4, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Marco reminds me of John Turturro.

Posted by: peridigm | January 4, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

The Materazzi motor home thing has a lot of comedic potential. If he was going anywhere but the US, there would be commercials like the recent Donovan one where local cops are put on red alert for a head-butting Italian cruising through town in an amped up Winnebago... so I don't make it sound so funny, but it could be. Honest.

Posted by: Modibo | January 4, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse