Thursday Kickaround

Things we're hearing here in Philadelphia.....

*Salvadoran right-side midfielder Julio Martinez is preparing to acquire a U.S. visa, which would pave the way for him to join the Chicago Fire and reunite with Coach Carlos de los Cobos, the ex-Salvadoran national team boss. Still no confirmation on an official deal, however.

*Chicago has also taken a keen interest in Collins John, a 24-year-old, Liberian-born forward with Dutch citizenship who played with Brian McBride at Fulham and most recently was with Roeselare in Belgium before being dropped amid reported disciplinary issues. Fire officials had no comment.

[UPDATE] *Philadelphia, which already has the No. 1 and 7 overall picks in the draft, has acquired the No. 6 selection from Dallas for allocation money.

*New England is apparently looking to move up in the draft, perhaps to the No. 2 slot, currently held by New York. The teams have already made a trade, with New York sending two later-round picks to the Revs for a player to be named (soon).

*Two players received enough votes for induction into the U.S. National Soccer Hall of Fame. Details this evening.

*Continental Tire has signed up as an MLS sponsor.

*The first hour of the draft will be shown on ESPN2, beginning at 2 p.m. ET.

On a sadder note, the Haiti disaster has spilled over into the soccer world as USA forward Jozy Altidore, who has Haitian roots, pleads for assistance. Dozens of his relatives are unaccounted for.

By Steve Goff  |  January 14, 2010; 11:03 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , MLS , Netherlands
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Trade, the Poll
Next: MLS Draft Day

Comments

I can see it/hear it now:

"Tune into the The CONTINENTAL TIRE-MLS Cup!

Posted by: Ron16 | January 14, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Hey Continental makes some nice bicycle tires too. Can we get them to do some MLS team colourway limited edition tires so we can color coordinate our bicycles to go with our match day "outfits"? ;) Hey the hipsters are doing it!

On a much more somber note, I did notice that Altidore said he was going to be on Larry King last night... I missed it. Did anyone else catch it?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 14, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Any word on any CBA developments?

Posted by: beach3 | January 14, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Hmm so really DC United gave Nowak Fred and the 6th and 7th draft pick.

Nowak is going to repeat Chicago 1998...just watch.

Posted by: Southeasterner | January 14, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I just put some Continental Road Attacks on my motorcycle last month, great tires fwiw. Any chance we can get parking discounts with proof of purchase? :)

Looks like Philly really likes this draft pool. I wonder how many of these kids make the starting lineup come March. Unless they're stockpiling for future trades.

Posted by: eadc | January 14, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

FWIW, I donated a few dollars to Doctors Without Frontiers. If Sonic Youth can vouch for them, they are good enough for me.

Posted by: EssEff | January 14, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I saw Jozy on ESPN news last night - nice to see him out there using his position to try to help raise funds. Recommendations I have heard include Red Cross and Doctors Without Borders/Medecins Sans Frontieres as good places to put a few dollars to work for Haiti. Before anyone asks, I contributed this morning through a matching plan at my office to both (in between reading/commenting about the Perkins trade, it's been a busy morning).

Posted by: assocfoot | January 14, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Philly should get New Holland Machine to sponsor the Union. The New Holland logo would look at least as good on a Philadelphia jersey as it does thousands of miles from New Holland on the Juventus shirts.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 14, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I saw him on Larry King last night. He was on very briefly toward the end of the show. He was talking about his missing family members. Unfortunately, Larry had to rush Jozy off because he was running out of time (Larry did that to several guests because he was trying to get as much in as possible I think).

Posted by: Solnoir | January 14, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Any chance Philly trades 1, 6 and 7 for a major player? Probably not, 3 cheap starters are worth way more in MLS than any one player huh?

Posted by: Brian76 | January 14, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: EssEff | January 14, 2010 11:45 AM

Good call!

Doctors Without Borders (English language name for Médecins Sans Frontières)

Posted by: Kev29 | January 14, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I vote for New Holland. Lancaster County is right next door!

Speaking of Lancaster, consider giving to Mennonite Central Committee's efforts in Haiti. The organization has been there since the 1950s. http://mcc.org/stories/news/mcc-respond-haiti-earthquake-donations-welcome

Posted by: lrg1231 | January 14, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Union get the sixth pick for just allocation money. That is just ridiculous. They must have someone in their front office who is a Jedi and is using Jedi mind tricks on the front office of the teams they are trading with.

Posted by: no_recess | January 14, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I think Philly should get Victory Brewery Co. to sponsor their shirt. I think it's in Downingtown, which is a Philly suburb... and Victory makes some pretty tasty beer. Plus, the name, "Victory" would look great on a shirt.

Posted by: TCompton | January 14, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Holy crap. Unaccounted for relatives is an awful development for anybody, and Jozy is certainly no exception.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | January 14, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I would imagine that the FCD supporters are up in arms about losing the 6th spot in the SUPER-Draft........or maybe not.

Posted by: marksman37 | January 14, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

agreed on the Victory shirt concept

Posted by: VTUnited | January 14, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

What about Dutch Wonderland?

Posted by: Reignking | January 14, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

As a UVa grad and DCU fan, I'm not sure if I find the notion of Tchani playing in NY or NE more distressing.

Posted by: jburksva | January 14, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

@marksman -- the difference is that Dallas still has the 5th spot. They'll get a top rookie, in addition to using the allocation bucks to add Lee Nguyen to their roster. Also, keep in mind one salient fact -- the difference between top goalies and even slightly below average goalies is one goal every 2 or 3, or even every 4 games. Talented field players help contribute more than that -- you can't quantify it as easily, but they do.

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Just to add to some of the comments already made...

Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders) is a great organization with a specialty in disaster/ emergency relief. (http://bit.ly/MSFhaiti)

A couple other worthy organizations include Partners in Health-- lots of experience in Haiti; unlike many agencies, it already had a big presence on the ground prior to the quake (http://www.pih.org/home.html)-- and Yéle Haiti-- Wyclef's organization; a good way to help empower Haitians in this situation (http://www.yele.org)

Posted by: hogmesh | January 14, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy

Good points........we'll see how it works out with McInerney. The upgrade over Wicks to me is worth more than just a save every 3-4 games though. Its the organization, the communication, the experience, etc.
But I hear ya.