Union Stadium Update

With the Delaware River as the backdrop, construction on the Philadelphia Union's stadium in Chester, Pa., is progressing nicely toward a summer opening. The expansion club will play its first several home matches at Lincoln Financial Field, home of the NFL's Eagles. The new venue, located near the Commodore Barry Bridge connecting Pennsylvania and New Jersey, is a mere 129 miles from RFK Stadium.

phillystadium.jpg

For more photos and details, click here.

By Steve Goff  |  January 27, 2010; 5:54 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Donovan Scores, DCU/MLS News & Notes
Next: English Media Reaction to Donovan

Comments

Jerk

:-D

Posted by: Kev29 | January 27, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Here's some better news... the World Cup TV schedule!!

Posted by: Kev29 | January 27, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Excited to see the finished prooduct, what with the bridge and river providing wonderful accessories.

Did anyone else see the renderings of the KC staidum? They had a full enclosed roof. Really like those.

Now, DC

Then, Atlanta

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | January 27, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I swear I've seen these pics before...in Chicago, in Salt Lake City, in Denver and in Frisco. Another cookie cutter stadium but who am I kidding? I wish United had one.

Posted by: FAkeemail9875 | January 27, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Seriously depressing to see teams who haven't yet played a single match have a new stadium being built and DCU with its four MLS Cups still playing in the rat pit that is RFK.

Posted by: Juan-John1 | January 27, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Lucky SOB's...;^)

Posted by: DadRyan | January 27, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

@Juan-John -- Of course, it's Philly's expansion status that is working in its favor. The Nationals are the ultimate example of how much easier it is for a league to get a stadium built to bring in a team, rather than get one for an established team. Look even at the Dynamo. To get them to move, the city had to pledge and buy the land for a new stadium, and they still haven't broken ground. If DC didn't already have a team, MLS would not be expanding here -- not without a new stadium in the deal.

Posted by: fischy | January 27, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

May be 129 miles from RFK, but it's much closer to Baltimore

Posted by: OWNTF | January 27, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

United stadium update-

Talks are progressing nicely with Dave Checketts and the St. Louis-area sports conglomerate...

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | January 27, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

looks like a nice little stadium. None of the seats are very far from the field. Prices seem reasonable too. Front row at midfield for just $700 for 17 matches. Needs a roof all the way around though.

Posted by: fedssocr | January 27, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

DCUMD has a new blog that is less Terps-centric so maybe some of you Wahoos, and Hokies will stomach it...
Did I mention that Chest_Rockwell is one of the authors?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 27, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to spam so hard, but I'm surprised I haven't seen more of the black and red faithful weighing in yet...

Posted by: DadRyan | January 27, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | January 27, 2010 8:05 PM
-------------------------------

I'll weigh in with this:

"Thank you Kevin for this D.C. United jersey and congratulations on your terrific season. It is great to see over 20,000 fans here at RFK supporting D.C. United. It is my hope that your fans will soon be coming to your brand new soccer stadium at Poplar Point in Anacostia. World class fans, and a world class team like D.C. United, deserve a world class stadium. And I am going to make it a priority to help you build that stadium. Thank you -- congratulations and good luck to the Black-and-Red!"

-Adrian Fenty on Oct 29 2006 (right before a mayoral elction mind you)

link to full article: http://www.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20061031&content_id=77524&vkey=news_dcu&fext=.jsp&team=t103

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 27, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Distance to stadiums from my house
RFK - 89.2 miles
Union's new stadium - 51.3 miles.
Proposed area in Baltimore - 50 miles.

Where do I live? Hint, the county has a nickname related to a state where there are a lot of hillbillys.

Posted by: peridigm | January 27, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

I'll weigh in with this:

-Adrian Fenty on Oct 29 2006 (right before a mayoral elction mind you)

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 27, 2010 8:15 PM

Like clockwork whenever there's stadium discussion.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | January 27, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

I see no parking lots around the stadium even in the artists renderings...at least RFK has parking!! :-)

Posted by: rockotodd | January 27, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Is drooling wrong?

I hate you, Fenty.

Posted by: delantero | January 27, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

rocko, it's described plain as day that the PU have parking and tailgating in mind. It's not like the immediate neighborhood has a lot to offer at first glance...? Looks like parts of Anacostia or worse, from the street view images on google... or Charlseston, SC?
There is supposed to be parking below the off-ramp from the bridge.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 27, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

59 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | January 28, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

My dyslexia caught up with me.

Posted by: TheJim1 | January 28, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse