Update on MLS Labor Talks

With the league's collective bargaining agreement set to expire next weekend and clubs beginning to regroup for training camp, the players' union issued this statement to the Insider:

"We have advised our players to report to camp as planned. In the meantime, we will continue to meet with the league to determine if an agreement can be reached. As of this date, however, we have no agreement on a new CBA."

By Steve Goff  |  January 21, 2010; 2:20 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV Listings
Next: Afternoon Roundup

Comments

hockey almost died once, and it killed nhl's tv deal with espn. please work it out!

Posted by: beergorila | January 21, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

To any legal eagles out there - how does the NFL's Supreme Court case (American Needle), where their antitrust expemption and single entity status is being challenged, possibly affect MLS, since every other professional sports union has filed an amicus brief for American Needle while every league has done one for the NFL?

Could that be affecting the current CBA negotiations?

Posted by: IamAM | January 21, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I always sympathize with NFL players because the league is making $gazillions, so they should get their fair share in exchange for their concussions . . . MLS has the concussions but not the $gazillions, unfortunately.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | January 21, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Could that be affecting the current CBA negotiations?

Posted by: IamAM | January 21, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

---

MLS is fairly insulated from further suits, but if the ruling was broad enough in favor of the NFL, it could conceivably insulate them even more.

Posted by: stancollins | January 21, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

So, let me re-word this:

There is no update.

:-) If the union had advised its players NOT to report, well that would have been one heck of an update, but this just says nothing has changed. Now it's up to the "owners" to actually let the players in when they show up for training :)

Posted by: dcufan | January 21, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry - I can never, on principle, side with a labor union.

That said, I side with BOTH in the MLS/Players debate. MLS needs to continue to protect itself in some regards. It confronts tough standards domestically from a CROWDED sports/entertainment marketplace. Just because AEG could put Chelsea/Manchester United/Liverpool/Arsenal/Real Madrid/Barcelona/Aris Thessaloniki in America, still to me doesn't say that it's right for the sport now and right for the sport long term. There's still something to be said from developing and growing over time in a way that really binds people to a product fundamentally. We don't want to grow and pop like NASCAR and the greater US economoy circa 2002-2007.

So I'm all for the owners maintaining some cost control, some manner of defensive sharing of risk.

However, I'm also for the players. Not guys making more than six figures, but for guys making minimum wage. Maybe that is their real market value in the grand scheme of things. It's the open market for a reason. If you want to play and can play for more money, somewhere else, rip up your contract and go! But the players deserve a higher starting point in some regards because the league can't build a decent roster if every player #15-24 shouldn't really be a "professional". So I hope the players get some sort of pay grade raise, the cap gets extended, and some manner of flexibility can be created to allow for team-by-team negotiations and movement. (BUT KEEP THE RULES SIMPLE - If you don't want to use transfer fees between teams to avoid crazy spending, then find something easier to follow beyond allocations, draft picks, allocation money, national team allocations, supplemental draft picks, waiver draft picks, Cases of Red Bull, bags of adidas balls, cones, and VW Logo pennies!)

I just want a good groundwork established for the league to grow and the players to find the ability to move into a situation they want to.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | January 21, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

"However, I'm also for the players. Not guys making more than six figures, but for guys making minimum wage."

VBB is siding with a labor union!
VBB is siding with a labor union!

Matewan DVD party at VBB's place tonight, everyone.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | January 21, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

VBB musta dreamed he saw Joe Hill last night.

My sympathies are with the players, at least the ones at the lower end of the pay scale. But my main hope is for no strike or lockout that would cut into MLS season or even preseason.

So it's great to hear, that for now at least, players are acting like they expect to play in 2010. I hope MLS owner/investors are on that page, too.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 21, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

So, let me re-word this:

There is no update.

Posted by: dcufan | January 21, 2010 3:27 PM

------------------

It was a beautifully worded statement to say as little as possible.

That said, players tend to hate training camp, and if they felt a settlement was a long-shot, they would probably hold out. (Think about all those NFL holdouts.)

Posted by: stancollins | January 21, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

fallschurch1: "Matewan DVD party at VBB's place tonight, everyone."

I'll bring the Billy Bragg CDs!

Posted by: edgeonyou | January 21, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

"I'm sorry - I can never, on principle, side with a labor union."

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood
----------------------------------

I know what you mean. Thank God we can always count on management to look out for their workers best interests. Some workers--like those greedy miners--never realized how good they had it.

Off my high horse now, back to futbol...

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | January 22, 2010 7:11 AM | Report abuse