Video: Dempsey's Goal

Until the copyright gods yank it away, enjoy Clint Dempsey's brilliant strike against Stoke today:

By Steve Goff  |  January 5, 2010; 5:21 PM ET
Categories:  England , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS Labor Issues Heat Up
Next: Wednesday Kickaround

Comments

what a strike!

Posted by: nairbsod | January 5, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I think even the copyright gods are gonna respect this enough to keep it up.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | January 5, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

nice! lets hope he can play like this in the WC!

Posted by: Brian76 | January 5, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Came on at 54, and also assisted on the other.

Posted by: Reignking | January 5, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

he was dominant for every min he was on the pitch. Stoke could not stop him

Posted by: pino149 | January 5, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Holly molly!! Cant wait to see him strike one just like that against England in a few months.

Posted by: nyjer1 | January 5, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

nice! lets hope he can play like this in the WC!

Posted by: Brian76 | January 5, 2010 5:32 PM

Let's hope he gets a little rest before the WC. He'll have had about one month off in the prior 20 months or so before the WC.

Today was the first time he didn't start in the Premiership, I believe.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | January 5, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Just as the announcer said, "You never know..."

Posted by: Senor_Funk | January 5, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Goff-

Speaking of WC, can you use some Insider/Post juice to get some clarity on radio rights to games? Specifically whether XM/Sirius will have games as they did last time.

Thanks

Posted by: GolazoDecatur | January 5, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Goff-

Thanks

Posted by: GolazoDecatur | January 5, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Rippa!!!!!

Posted by: francisco_11 | January 5, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Too bad the other Texan, Hangeland, let Fulham down with some awful defending...granted he is recovering from a bad injury but probably needed to be subbed out earlier.

Posted by: Southeasterner | January 5, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Brilliant! Let's see more of that in SA!

Posted by: mcnessa | January 5, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't have done it without the Soccerwave! Awesome!

Posted by: DadRyan | January 5, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

OT, but I'm hearing that Onalfo bought a round at the Black Finn for everyone that showed up for tonight's meet-n-greet.

Posted by: edgeonyou | January 5, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | January 6, 2010 12:04 AM | Report abuse

OT -- Veron says Man City offered him 7 million pounds to play for one year (plus the same amount to Estudiantes for the transfer). Veron turned them down, because he's happy where he is. I guess we can rule him out of DCU's future.

Patrick Viera is a different story.....

Posted by: fischy | January 6, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

If Onalfo bought a round for the crowd at Black Finn, it would have wiped out his signing bonus. The place was packed. Perhaps later on, when only a few folks were left he might have done so, but I sure didn't get any free drinks. My son got a free orange juice, but that was courtesy of the waitress, who was surprised to see a seven year old at happy hour.

Posted by: troy6 | January 6, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: troy6 | January 6, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

test

Posted by: dwreck1971 | January 6, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

People have talked a lot about Zamora during the games (English announcers)-- they talk about how great Zamora is playing...But when I look at the stat sheet I notice its DEMPSEY not Zamora leading his team in scoring with 6... I'd like to hear this mentioned more often when I watch a Fulham match... Though I have to admit, unlike Jozy, the Brits think very highly of Clint Dempsey. Apparently the Italians do too as he was named to the EPL ALL ELEVEN by an Italian Newspaper...

Make sure you catch my interview with Donovan before he left for England AND my interview with Freddy Adu (faux?) here:

Posted by: dwreck1971 | January 6, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

"But when I look at the stat sheet I notice its DEMPSEY not Zamora leading his team in scoring with 6... "

The sheet is in alphabetical order so you obviously didn't look down the list far enough I guess. Zamora has 6 goals too. He also has more assists than Dempsey and in 3 fewer appearances. Zamora has also scored in Europa League play (2 more appearances) and in the FA Cup, whereas Dempsey has not.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=5500&cc=5901 (Zamora)
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=39928&cc=5901 (Dempsey)

And frankly, the only reason you want Dempsey emphasized more is because you're American. Well, guess what, the announcers over there are English and so who do you think they will favor?

"Though I have to admit, unlike Jozy, the Brits think very highly of Clint Dempsey."

What has Altidore done so far? One goal in the Carling Cup, one assist in the Premier League. You expect them to think highly of him?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=75589&cc=5901 (Altidore)

Posted by: prokaryote | January 6, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Are my ears playing tricks on me, or did I hear the color commentator call him "Patrick" Dempsey around the 41st second mark?

Posted by: ricky_b | January 6, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse