Wednesday Kickaround

*The latest on the Troy Perkins situation, which first surfaced here on the Insider late Monday: The goalkeeper has written a farewell letter to Valerenga supporters, saying he is returning to the United States for family reasons.

An Insider contact tells me that, behind the scenes, his representatives have been working hard to arrange a return to D.C. United, but as a national team player, Perkins is subject to the MLS allocation process. Expansion Philadelphia sits atop the selection order with United at No. 7. Will Philly burn its expansion slot -- and fall to the back of the line -- by claiming Perkins and using him as leverage for a major trade with DCU? Union could also pass on Perkins and keep its top slot or acquire him to become its starting keeper.

*A proposed loan for D.C. United captain Jaime Moreno to Bolivian club Blooming fizzled, but now Bolivar has expressed some interest in him joining the team to bolster its Copa Libertadores campaign during MLS's offseason. However, the narrow timeframe would be an issue, Coach Santiago Escobar told La Prensa in Bolivia. United has yet to be contacted, the report said.

For today's TV listings.....

*Soccer on TV:
Italian Cup, AC Milan-Novara 10:30 a.m. GolTV
English FA Cup, Liverpool-Reading 2:30 p.m. Setanta
Italian Cup, Juventus-Napoli 2:45 p.m. GolTV
Spanish Cup, Sevilla-Barcelona 4 p.m. GolTV
Interliga, Puebla-Tecos 9 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
Interliga, America-Monterrey 11:30 p.m. FSE

By Steve Goff  |  January 13, 2010; 8:45 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , D.C. United , MLS , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cutdown for World Cup Bid
Next: United: Forwards

Comments

Did Troy send a goodbye letter to United fans?

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | January 13, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure Chico13 would try to physically restrain Jaime should Jaime attempt to board a plane to Bolivia to don a Bolivar kit.

Posted by: EdTheRed | January 13, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I got one right for once...

I hope Nowak doesn't make United pay too much for this...

Posted by: Reignking | January 13, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Yes, he sent me one. You didn't get a copy?

Posted by: Ron16 | January 13, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

God, quit screwing with us for 10 minutes and bring Troy home without BLOWING UP everything we have going for us.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | January 13, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I got one too. I declined to comment on it. It was postmarked from 'Hungary'. Very strange irregardless..

Posted by: JkR- | January 13, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"
We need a keeper!

Posted by: ussccr | January 13, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I was reading an article earlier in the week from another soccer blog that stated Philly was looking at US winger Jeremiah White. White's transfer would most likely need an allocation slot for him to join being an US player. I see Philly passing - focusing on White or other Americans to come home. Next spot falls to NY - who may want DC's 7th round pick to draft Dilly Duka.

Perkins back to DC would be HUGE. Obviously the salary cap will be raised for the 2010 season and we have opened up a lot of cap space with Emilio gone - so we got some money to spend. We need a solid GK - Perkins is the man.

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | January 13, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JkR- | January 13, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Now you're just over-egging the pudding!

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | January 13, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Safe to assume that one of the six teams above DCu will exact a huge price for Perkins. Since Perkins is a sure-fire starter, a team should demand another starter in return. Problem is that DCU has very few players that are sure to start for other clubs or look likely to do so in the near future (and that any other club would really want) -- Comes down to Pontius, Wallace and Jakovic, I think, perhaps with a promising player thrown in -- Barklage? Szetela? Another case, perhaps, of be careful what you wish for.

Posted by: Jphubba | January 13, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Silly allocation process.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | January 13, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

White went to a team in the Middle East, so he's off Philly's list.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 13, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Again with the draft pick talk.

If Perkins does not become MLS property and designated for allocation before the draft which is tomorrow, our draft pick won't matter. As of right now, so far as we know, that has not happened.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | January 13, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

He probably felt obliged to leave a goodbye-letter to the fans. VĂ¥lerengen also lost it's former captain and long-time club legend/supertalent, who left in a hurry after rumored conflicts with the teams bossy, but inexperienced, head coach. Other key players have also left the club during his reign, in addition to most of his originally seven (!) man strong trainer-team. With continually lackluster support for the club among Oslos inhabitants and dismal results. This despite a shipbrokers enormous financial support, most of the wealth accumulated running ships in and out of the missile-rain during the iraq-iraninan war.

Posted by: lasse1 | January 13, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jphubba | January 13, 2010 9:49 AM
================================
I'd trade Simms for Perkins. Maybe toss in allocation money or a late round draft pick for 2011.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 13, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

White went to a team in the Middle East, so he's off Philly's list.

Posted by: jason1551

Yup, Al-Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia.

Posted by: Reignking | January 13, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

While I like Perkins and would like to see him return to DC, part of me thinks that the team needs to move on. Perkins has had his time here and coming back would place a lot on his shoulders in terms of supporter expectations. Also, he is not an "elite" GK so I would prefer that DCU save its allocation/salary cap for someone who would have more of an impact. The team has a lot of weaknesses to address, and I just don't see GK at the top of the list versus a quality striker and a quality #10. Kocic may not be that seasoned, but I think that he could be a solid GK this season following the experience he gained last season. Not great, but decent.

I don't see Wicks as an option. I was glad that my six year-old daughter (and BB member since she was three) didn't stay awake to see the end of the US Open Cup and I hope that she never has the opportunity to see such a display in the future. Get rid of him.

With that said, if Perkins returns, I'll welcome him with open arms. But, I fear that doing so would hurt DCU more in the long term by losing Kocic and restricting Hamid's playing time.

Posted by: figgy_va | January 13, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Best of luck to Perkins, by the way - by far the best keeper in Tippeligaen 2008 and 2009. If he could continue in VIF he would probably be on his way to a bigger league in England/Germany or Spain soon.

Posted by: lasse1 | January 13, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the White update.

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | January 13, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

For all you Donovan watchers .. . Everton v Man City on FSC this Saturday.

then Blackburn v Fulham later

Posted by: delantero | January 13, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand what anyone saw in Kocic that would make them think he could be a starter for us this year. I'm not even sure if he can be a backup.

Do we have 2 unused DP slots? (one from emilio, one from Gallardo) I can't see that being of interest to Philly, but I could see NYRB wanting another DP slot if the rumors about them getting Henry after the world cup have any merit.

I can't imagine that Troy wouldn't have enough leverage to sign a contract with MLS that is contingent on him coming back to DC, and have the league get involved to make sure that some arrangement for the allocation is made.

Posted by: joe_hill | January 13, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Jesus, United should change their motto to this:
I see a bone headed trade. I could live with Simms, Szetela, Burch, or Wallace I suppose, but anyone with more attacking bit I'll be bummed. Well, maybe Fred?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 13, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

If philly or whoever wants starter in return for Perkins, lets trade Quaranta. We'll miss all his clever backpasses, but we can adjust.

Posted by: Ron16 | January 13, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JkR- | January 13, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Now you're just over-egging the pudding!

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | January 13, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

with all the inside "call-backs" this blog is really starting to resemble an episode of Arrested Development...

Posted by: VTUnited | January 13, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I say try and move Fred or Burch and a 1st rounder next year, since tomorrow might get here too soon.

Posted by: VTUnited | January 13, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I think we only have 1 DP slot. The Gallardo one was used on Luci last year. So that should be the only one.

I am baffled by the talk that Perkins isn't that good. He's in the national team pool. That's probably the deepest position in US soccer. So that would put him in pretty rare company. By all accounts he was quite good during his time in Norway. Other than a couple of rare big errors, he was quite solid for us during his time here. Right now we have no GK's with much of any real quality to speak of. He would be a clear upgrade at a vital position. Getting him back would help solidify our defense. Obviously we don't want to give up our whole team to get him. By I would be thrilled if we could trick some one into taking Fred off of our hands to get him back.

Posted by: fedssocr | January 13, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

We traded away a DP slot in the Gomez exchange, so we only have the Emilio DP slot. That turned out to be a great move, right?

Posted by: jofij | January 13, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

It's incredibly difficult to find good and tested goal keepers to start immediately. I think that there are very few players on DCU that I would not make available to trade for the rights to sign Troy.

Kocic is a fantastic backup, and should start every game of the US Open Cup, but he's not quite ready. When he beats Perkins out of the role, just like Perkins did with Rimando, I will be fine with it.

Posted by: TCompton | January 13, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

My guess is Szetela and allocation money. Maybe a draft pick. Philly is pretty well set at 'keeper. They'll deal, and MLS is always happy to have players with a little international pedigree, so Garber's people will lean on Philly to deal.

As for DCU -- I agree with joe hill. I didn't see anything from Kocic that makes me comfortable with the idea of having him here as the #2 'keeper...much less someone who would have to shoulder the starting burden while Wicks plays into shape.

Hamid's playing time? Are you kidding? This is a guy who should be riding the bench at some college program, as a freshman learning by watching the upperclassman starting goalie. Hamid might see some Open Cup action this year, but even that would not be a given. Bring back Perkins. Keep Wicks as his backup, with Hamid as the 3rd-stringer who is working on his game in practice (like Perkins did when he first came to the team). If Hamid is ready to back-up Troy next year, that would be great. We could let Wicks go in the expansion draft.

In a few years, we can worry about having two really good goalies and what to do with them.

I'm hoping the loan can be worked out for Jaime. I understand the insurance issue that DCU has. Jaime wants it, so I hope this can be arranged. If he comes through it healthy, it can only help.

Posted by: fischy | January 13, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

"really surprised to see a few people say they would part with Simms to get Perkins back. hes been one of the bright spots the past few years, in my opinion..."

Posted by: VTUnited | January 13, 2010 10:41 AM
---------------------------------
That and we'd then have zero experienced, reliable central midfielders (Fred, having been deployed on the wing for so long here, is neither).

One thing I had previously not considered is that, if DC decide they want to send #7 to Philadelphia, they can strike a deal to draft whoever Philadelphia want in that spot and send him to P.U. for the top spot in the allocation order. NFL teams do this in their draft periodically, where the 2nd team in a deal is essentially drafting for the 1st.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | January 13, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Why trade Simms? The guy has been a rock for DC and I don't see any replacement being better.

And no to Jakovic. He's going to continue to develop into a quality anchor of our back line.

I'm all for trading any of these: McTavish, Hamburglar, James, John, Khumalo, Gomez, Fred, Wicks, and/or draft pick. I'd even consider Wallace or even Tino.

Posted by: delantero | January 13, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | January 13, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

and if you did find someone better, he wouldnt be sticking around MLS for long.

Posted by: VTUnited | January 13, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

We could also trade our DP spot.

Posted by: dsheon1 | January 13, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Troy Perkins is a must! Trade everyone. At this point, is there really anyone on the team we couldn't live without?

Posted by: diego_r | January 13, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I would trade our 7th pick in the MLS Super Draft and in the MLS allocation draft to the Union for the Union's 17th pick in the Super Draft and 1st pick in the MLS allocation draft.

Posted by: lgsrtraub | January 13, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I'm amused that it was just a few years ago that people were getting all down on Troy for one of his game-time lapses. I remember defending him in a number of conversations and blogs.

I would be thrilled to have Troy back. He's a great keeper, and we could use the experience back there. But, I'm betting that DCU would have to give up too much to get him. Let's look at our situation honestly...we don't really have anyone that we can afford to trade to match Perkins. Simms and Jakovic are both critical to the back line. Wallace has great talent that he has backed up on the field and helps add some depth and creativity to controlling the ball on the field that we don't have otherwise. Tino is raw and passionate and will help fill a gap left by Benny on the field that DCU desparately needs. Pontius was our best striker at the end of the last season, and is really our only option right now.

Our gaps are far greater elsewhere on the field than at GK. If we can get Troy with limited loss (Burch, Szetela), then fantastic. But, if getting him means adding on-field gaps, then I think that we have to let him go.

Posted by: figgy_va | January 13, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: figgy_va

The game in Mexico, in the rain...Cruz Azul?

Posted by: Reignking | January 13, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

1) Perkins is a must have.

2) Well in, JkR.

3) I think Philly is going to be good this year.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 13, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: figgy_va

The game in Mexico, in the rain...Cruz Azul?

Posted by: Reignking | January 13, 2010 11:37 AM

It was Chivas. and DCU would likely have won the series if it weren't for the error.

Posted by: VTUnited | January 13, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I think philly might pass. If thats the case they should consider trading szetela back home and the number 7 pick (duka) for Perkins and NYRB number 14 pick. Hopefully that would be sufficient. DCU might have to add more.

Posted by: totalfootballer | January 13, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

"Not sure how much leverage Perkins has. It is clear he is coming back to the United States for personal reasons, and he can't threaten a move to Denmark or somewhere else. MLS can play hardball with him if they so choose. And it is not clear if Perkins truly needs to come back to DC; Philly or New York could be equally feasible."

Posted by: jofij | January 13, 2010 10:45 AM
-------------------------------------------

I would hope that Troy (or Troy's agent) would have nailed down terms with MLS before Troy released his goodbye letter.

Posted by: joe_hill | January 13, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

who is after philly in the allocation draft for perkins?

Posted by: Norteno4life | January 13, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

who is after philly in the allocation draft for perkins?

Posted by: Norteno4life | January 13, 2010 1:12 PM
-------------------------------------------------------

Same as the SuperDraft. NYRB. Totalfootballer's post is rank speculation about how this could go down, but it's an interesting idea that could work. United could emerge with Perkins and Schilawski or McInerney (without reaching too high to take one), and the Bulls could get Tchani and Duka, solidifying their midfield of the future. My question about this is when the allocation selection would take place. Haven't read anything that says it would happen before the Superdraft.

Posted by: fischy | January 13, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

NYRB

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 13, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

As Goff had mentioned, Troy's people are already working on a return to DCU. If DCU was seriuos about reaquiring him, perhaps they have already been talking with PU and/or NYRB.

Posted by: Jaywag86 | January 13, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Facts -

1. Perkins is a good goalie
2. His wife is DR. Perkins
3. His son was born in Oslo

Posted by: ashmmh | January 13, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

If Onalfo intends on running a 4-4-2, then Simms is expendable. He's good, but not great in a 4-4-2. However, Simms alone in a trade probably doesn't grab an allocation. So the trade would be Simms and more.

Posted by: griffin1108 | January 13, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I think we're underestimating Simms. He was never as pure a defensive midfielder as Carroll, he was molded over time from a two way player. I don't think there will be any issues with him starting, and y'all are forgetting that Szetela needs at least the possibility of getting benched.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | January 13, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

And I don't really see any forward we want (McInerney) falling to fourteen. He's somewhere between 9-13 surely.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | January 13, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: carmines757 | January 13, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

(Click the link below the article)

Posted by: carmines757 | January 13, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse