Wednesday Kickaround

Apologies for the scarcity of updates recently: Sickness has descended on House of Insider, reducing me to sleeper, book reader and DVD watcher.

High marks for:

Timothy Egan's "The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire That Saved America".

and ...

"The Hurt Locker," one of the finest -- and certainly the most intense -- films of 2009.

Before I disappear again, a few things you should know:

*After receiving final approval Tuesday night, the Kansas City Wizards will begin construction Wednesday on an 18,000-seat stadium in Kansas, just west of the Missouri city and in the same area as their temporary home in a minor league baseball ballpark the past couple years. "This is a great day for soccer in Kansas City," investor Robb Heineman said.

The stadium will be part of a $400 million-plus project that also includes plans for 18 to 24 fields for youth sporting events and an office complex. The Wizards hope to be playing in the new venue sometime during the 2011 season.

D.C. United, you are on the clock ... again ... still ... forever.

*Polish reports say that the Chicago Fire has reached a deal to acquire 22-year-old defender Krzysztof Krol on loan from Jagiellonia Bialystok for one year with an option to buy his contract.

*Chivas USA has renewed loan deals for midfielders Jesus Padilla and Maicon Santos and defender Yamith Cuesta. The club bid farewell to midfielder Paulo Nagamura, a free agent who signed with Mexico's Tigres after 73 appearances in three years with the Goats.

For Americans Abroad and TV listings.....

*Americans Abroad:
D Carlos Bocanegra 90 in Rennes' 0-0 tie at Saint-Etienne
MF Maurice Edu 15 in Rangers' 2-0 overtime win over Hamilton
D Frank Simek in 18, didn't play in Sheffield Wednesday's 2-1 win at Blackpool
F Mike Grella 83 in Leeds' 2-1 loss to Carlisle
GK Dom Cervi not in 18 for Celtic's 1-0 win at Greenock Morton

*Soccer on TV:
England, Arsenal-Bolton 2:45 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
English Carling Cup, Aston Villa-Blackburn 2:45 p.m. Setanta
Italian Cup, Fiorentina-Lazio 3 p.m. GolTV
England, Liverpool-Spurs 4:45 p.m. Setanta
France, Lorient-Lyon 8:15 p.m. Setanta

By Steve Goff  |  January 20, 2010; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , MLS , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dempsey Suffers 'Moderate' Damage
Next: D.C. United Updates

Comments

"The Wizards stadium would also play host to concerts, international soccer matches, American football games, rugby matches, lacrosse games, field hockey events and more." Great news for the Wiz. Sounds like there will be a stage end :( & football lines every now & then too. This sucks, but then again still looking better than DCU right now.

Posted by: dculoyal | January 20, 2010 6:19 AM | Report abuse

When a sports team in Kansas City has more ammenities than a sports team in DC, the world has been doomed.

Posted by: wanker82 | January 20, 2010 6:51 AM | Report abuse

Finally, the beginning of accountability in the Charlie Davies accident. The car was driven by Maria Espinoza.

Posted by: GeneWells | January 20, 2010 7:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RetiredShark | January 20, 2010 7:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wanker82 | January 20, 2010 6:51 AM | Report abuse
-----------------------

Not really. Arrowhead was always a better football stadium than RFK was. And Kaufman was a lot nicer than RFK was for baseball.

Posted by: stancollins | January 20, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Another story about the Baltimore stadium study in Washington Business Journal, here: http://washington.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2010/01/18/daily28.html.

Posted by: loosek | January 20, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Get well soon, SG.

I had heard that Nagamura deal was just a loan, but if he was out of contract a loan would be impossible. Either way, Chivas loses their best field player in 2009.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 20, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Two questions...is Cristian Castillo being introduced to the media today?

and Is there any place I can watch it live?

Posted by: ESFan21 | January 20, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Gene, I had never seen that picture of the car split in half. Wow.

Posted by: Reignking | January 20, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Not at all worried about DC United moving to Baltimore. They'd be better off up in Dulles waiting for that 2030 extension of the Metro up there.

Baltimore has NO money or room for public financing of a stadium.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | January 20, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Chicago must be trying to appeal to their Polish fan base. ;-)

+1 on The Big Burn. Great read.

Posted by: troy6 | January 20, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

The "media"? Seriously? Goff's stuck at home -- sick. They can call it off.

My world is so much richer and safer for knowing the name of the gal who drove the car. Thanks. Please continue your efforts to publish the names of other drivers involved in accidents. We need this form of accountability, and you're just the man for the job.

Reminds me of a funny bit from last week in the WaPo. Article that talked about accident on Route 7 bypass in VA. The article named the victim, but closed with the disclaimer that the "identity of the woman was being withheld pending notification of the family". Fine editing.

Posted by: fischy | January 20, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

@Gene, what is your f'g problem man? Do you seriously feel better now that you know and we know? What are you going to do with the information now that the need to know has stopped burning a hole in your stomach?

Posted by: OWNTF | January 20, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Lighten up fischy.

Posted by: combedge | January 20, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Don't be so quick to dismiss Baltimore as a candidate for a stadium for DCU and/or Crystal Palace. The MSA has a proven track record that outruns its counterpart in DC. DC lost the Redskins to a suburban jurisdiction when on the table was a huge amount of the owner's money to build in DC. DC almost messed up the Expos move because of the unique political dynamics of the city government. And how is the development of Poplar Point going? Any construction equipment moving into the area?

The only question for DCU people, inside and outside of KP's circus tent, is if they build it, will they come? So far nothing else on showing up on the radar screen for DCU.

Posted by: lgm6986 | January 20, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

"DC" United.

Enjoy while it lasts.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 20, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

"Any construction equipment moving into the area?"
Posted by: lgm6986 |

Actually yes there is but it's to build the new 11th St. bridges.

Posted by: rockotodd | January 20, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

The local jurisdictions are bleeding money and already have deficits, I understand the reluctance to use public money to finance a stadium. Just to try and finance a large hotel downtown put strain on the city's budget situation. I think at the end of the day something will get done in the DC area, I think our area offers a lot more in the long term even if they get a little subsidy. I wouldn't count out a local jurisdiction trying to get something done either even though it's been quiet on that front.

Posted by: michigannn | January 20, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Behind the Badge has a post up that lists the roster and current contract status...based on discussions with Dave Kasper.

Interestingly, it lists Rodney Wallace as a defender; states that Gomez is still under consideration; and that Avery John and David Habarugira are both not in the club's plans for 2010.

Posted by: combedge | January 20, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

It seems like the Maryland Stadium Authority study (funded by Baltimore city and Crystal Palace) will be more for a small, Palace stadium. I really can't see them building a 20,000 seat stadium for MLS - especially with the mayor behind the idea resigning this month.

Other than that, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Kev29 | January 20, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Lighten up fischy.

Posted by: combedge | January 20, 2010 9:34 AM
--------------------------------------------------------

I'm working on it -- last year was a tough year physically, but it's time to get serious.

I hear there's a new coffeehouse in Anacostia. Can a soccer stadium be far behind?

Posted by: fischy | January 20, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Yet another team gets a new stadium. How depressing..............

Posted by: croftonpost | January 20, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if this new soccer park in KC will be any more successful (in terms of attendance) than the other soccer "parks" in Commerce City (the second lowest SSS) and Frisco (the lowest SSS and lowest attendance in the league).

It seems like the Bridgeview, Sandy, Columbus and Carson have worked out much better (in terms of attendance) with a focus just on the pro game.

Posted by: Southeasterner | January 20, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Great news for Wizards fans and the league in general. The good news is that no one can really say "nothing's being built anywhere" any longer. Hopefully another stadium going up and some success in New Jersey and Philly will create some more leverage for the other teams that are struggling.

While watching games from CA Ballpark was painful, it was obvious that there's a passionate fan base for the Wizards. Even if the stadium is mixed use, it's gotta be better than the Baseball stadium they're playing in now.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 20, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Southeasterner | January 20, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Thats a good observation. I think most of MLS has learned that the target demographic isn't soccer moms...but not everyone. These mega complexes are not the best option, but beggers can't be choosers I suppose.

Posted by: Atlanta4MLS | January 20, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Southeasterner | January 20, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Atlanta4MLS | January 20, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

You may be on to something, Southeasterner. While I think just about everyone who likes soccer in the US supports the youth game and its continued growth, the uninitiated might see youth fields as an extension of what Jim Rome always refers to as the Orange Slices mentality about soccer. If I'm the coveted 20-something male with lots of expenable income looking for sports entertainment, do I really want to go to the same place where all the local Soccer Moms and their ankle-biters are running around? Doesn't that kill the tailgate buzz and change the vibe of the entire experience? Compare to going downtown to the Verizon Center (for exmaple), where not only can you go to a restaurant or bar before the game - you can actually walk directly into the arena from the bar (or one of them, at least)! I don't think it's a be-all-end-all, but it's an interesting angle to consider on the associations and assumptions made by different MLS market demographics.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | January 20, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Would someone please tell me where this is on Youtube, and if it's not there yet, put it there:

Donovan pitches Mexico sports lottery

Please add your own punchline.

Posted by: IamAM | January 20, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

@VercengetorixI
In regards to the soccer moms, ankle biters, v. Verizon bar scene I think you have a point. I love going to Wizards games for the exact reason my brother and I can go and have a few beers at a bar before the game. For any team to be successful its about finding the mix of hardcore fans and family. I think DC United has figured out a good mix. When I go to DC games with my two brothers we always sit on the loud side and mix our way into one of the supporting groups. Though, when my Dad, a 58 yr old cop, wants to come to a game we sit on the opposite side. Is it still loud? Yea, but he just likes to be able to sit down and enjoy a game. I always enjoy both sides as I think each atmosphere has its own positive, and negative, qualities.

I think its easy to have stadium with both atmospheres, and I would say the DC FO does a fairly good job at solving the problem. (Yea, I am sure DC FO makes a few mistakes, but overall they handle this situation well.)

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 20, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Grubbs, and I do think the United FO does a good job balancing Supporter's culture with "regular/casual fan" culture or preferences. But the point I was really driving at was more along the lines o - let's say I am a guy raised by American sports media to consider soccer to be a kid's and family sport that no self-respecting red-blooded male still cares about after they stop playing rec league when they're 10. And you're asking me to go to and care about a sporting event at a stadium that, based purely on its being surrounded by 18 rec soccer fields, screams "this game is for families and little kids."

It's more of a subtle mental association based on the stadium's location that I am pointing out rather than the more obvious and traditional Loud Side vs. Quiet Side discussion.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | January 20, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Well, KC's stadium will be across the street from Kansas Speedway, the cross over is probably more likely than you guys may be assuming. It also looks like there will be a few bars in the stadium, and to be honest the crowd in KC seemed pretty well rounded, you had the soccer moms, and kids playing in the grass but you did also have idiotic jack wipes taunting Beckham.

I think the fact that there are already attractions in the neighborhood where they are building the KC stadium is going to work for them. While an urban stadium is the best idea in our hearts and minds, it just isn't possible everywhere. I swear KC had a sold out season last year. I know the place only seats a little more than 10K, but with the prospect of their own stadium finally becoming a reality I can see them getting a nice spike in season ticket numbers in the next couple years. Especially if they can find some success on the field again.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 20, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

It appears that Brad Guzan was wobbly in Aston Villa's 6-4 Cup win over Blackburn. Does he really have a lock on the second GK spot for South Africa? http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/league_cup/8466159.stm

Posted by: bartapest1 | January 20, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse