Weekend TV Listings

Sadly, there are fewer Premier League viewing options because of Setanta's financial troubles. (Fox is reportedly trying to purchase the rights to additional matches.) Nonetheless, what are you going to watch?

FRIDAY
England, West Brom-Nottingham Forest 2:45 p.m. ET, Setanta
U-20 friendly, Mexico-Paraguay 6 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
SATURDAY
England, Hull City-Chelsea 7:30 a.m. ESPN2 (ppd.)
England, Wigan-Aston Villa 9:55 a.m. Fox Soccer Channel
England, Crystal Palace-Bristol City 9:55 a.m. Setanta (ppd.)
Spain, Valladolid-Atletico Madrid 11:55 a.m. ESPN Deportes
England, Birmingham-Manchester United 12:30 p.m. FSC

Spain, Sevilla-Santander 2 p.m. GolTV
Italy, Inter Milan-Siena 2:30 p.m. FSC
Italy, Roma-Chievo 5 p.m. FSC
England, Sunderland-Bolton 7 p.m. FSC (ppd.)
Interliga, Santos-Atlante 8:30 p.m. FSE
Argentina, San Lorenzo-Estudiantes 11 p.m. FSC
Interliga, America-Tecos 11 p.m. FSE
SUNDAY
Australia, Perth-Sydney 3 a.m. FSC
Italy, Fiorentina-Bari 9 a.m. FSC
Spain, Xerez-Valencia 10:55 a.m. ESPN Deportes
England, Liverpool-Spurs 11 a.m. FSC (ppd.)
Spain, Deportivo de Coruna-Osasuna 11 a.m. GolTV
Spain, Real Madrid-Mallorca 1 p.m. GolTV
Italy, Juventus-AC Milan 2:30 p.m. FSC
Spain, Tenerife-Barcelona 2:55 p.m. ESPN2, ESPN Deportes
Interliga, Tigres-Jaguares 6 p.m. FSE
Interliga, Monterrey-Puebla 8:30 p.m. FSE
MONDAY
England, Manchester City-Blackburn 2:55 p.m. ESPN2

By Steve Goff  |  January 7, 2010; 4:26 PM ET
Categories:  TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA 2nd Division Set
Next: Davies Update and Notes

Comments

Chelsea, Spurs and Beckham

Posted by: OWNTF | January 7, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

everton not on tv this weekend? damn...would love to have seen donovan, if he came off the bench, that is...

Posted by: birdynumnum | January 7, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

What's the definitive news on Setanta US? I see a number of unsubstantiated blog posts, but no official announcement??

(BTW, I am well equipped in the streaming dept)

Posted by: JkR- | January 7, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Well, that was tasteless....

Posted by: fischy | January 7, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Oh, THAT was unfortunate...

Posted by: JkR- | January 7, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Texas and Alabama are on tonight. Either of them might be satisfied with scoring as many as Schalke did in their 14-0 friendly win at Cadiz today.

Yowza!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 7, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Is there any word on whether Donovan starts on Saturday? They just gave him the number 9. That would seem to be a good sign.

Posted by: kjm1971 | January 7, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I just caught where DC's Jeremiah White is now...Saudi Arabia. What a strange career.

Posted by: Reignking | January 7, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Once more, we will all be crossing every available appendage for a goal from Jozy, then on sunday for Adu and Eddie.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | January 7, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: birdynumnum | January 7, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Watch the game on atdhe.net or something. I've gotten used to it. It sucks that there aren't many Everton games shown on tv.

Posted by: spikeman | January 7, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Friday: Forest
Saturday: Man U
Sunday: Spurs

+ anything else I can fit in when the wife isn't around!

Posted by: Senor_Funk | January 7, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Is there any word he'll even make the trip to London? Is there an Everton Insider out there?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 7, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

(BTW, I am well equipped in the streaming dept) Posted by: JkR-

You might need to see a doc about that. Maybe some Cipro?

Posted by: delantero | January 7, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Landy's set up for being a goat if the loan doesn't go well.

The #9! Big transfer for him to Europe, where he's not done well in previous attempts. Dempsey and Howard and McBride's and Freidel's previous play creates expectations of the same.

We shall see if he's up to it.

Posted by: delantero | January 7, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

for those bummed about the possible loss of the Setanta match Saturday, avoid the media then download the match from a torrent site. If Setanta loses the EPL I'm cancelling my subscription too.

Posted by: peridigm | January 7, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure Donovan is up for it.
Any chance ESPN could pick up some more matches?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 7, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Senor Goff: foreign press reporting an upcoming DC United signing:

It's probably garbage, like most of these reports are; but it does include quotes attributed to the coach at UD. Any confirmation? This guy's college stats don't look that amazing to me . . . .

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | January 7, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

The Times of Swaziland? Your sources are far-ranging, sir. One of my great regrets in life was not visiting a girlfriend while she was stationed in Mbabane, but I would never think to read their press for sports stories...

The thing that troubles me most about this story is that the guy is still in college. Perhaps he did impress DCU, but I don't think he would be subject to discovery claims. He might be a long-shot to be drafted, but I don't see how anyone can claim he will sign with the team until the draft is over. That said, I wouldn't focus on his stats or his second-tier honors. Delaware is not a soccer power, so he doesn't have the kind of stats or recognition he might have at a bigger school. Even if DCU is planning to invite him into camp, it doesn't mean much Remember Futty Danso, from an even smaller school? I'm sure the Swazi press isn't tuned into such niceties.

Posted by: fischy | January 7, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I did find this bit of scouting on Christie at a site called Pro Player Pipeline"

"Darren Christie appears to have tons of talent, but he’s a petulant child without ambition and drive. Making his team’s offense stall by holding the ball too long and not combining with his teammates was frustrating to watch."

If DCU has plans for him they must have seen more.

Posted by: fischy | January 7, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Without Colt McCoy the Longhorns offense is weaker than Cadiz.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 7, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

What time is the everton match and vs. who?

I want to watch! Maybe i'll catch a stream.

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | January 7, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

the game is arsenal v everton. it was scheduled to be on setanta at 10am

i dont see the point of fsc buying the rights to these games if they arent going to show them somewhere at some time

ill settle for a delay

Posted by: rhbancroft | January 7, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

I scoured that site I mentioned above -- based on prior rankings, I can say the guy is not a particularly good scout.

Posted by: fischy | January 7, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Mbabane! I'll be there on a side trip from South Africa in June!

Posted by: Wendell_Gee | January 8, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

No surprises here as Donovan travels with the team to London:

He'll get on the field, no doubt, I can't wait.

Posted by: wanker82 | January 8, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

How are you planning on watching though wanker?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 8, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

my DVR says Everton v. Arsenal is on at 9:30 EST tomorrow. Any chance this is for real?

Posted by: jhgodfrey1 | January 8, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

The Setanta rumors have been all over the place this week. But, the last time I checked (last night) my Directv guide had Everton v Arsenal on Setanta live on Saturday morning. Don't think we will really know for sure until game time!

Posted by: harkes4ever | January 8, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

fischy: yeah, I'm familiar with PPP -- the guy who does the scouting and posts there is a friend and regular poster on BigSoccer (and a DCU fan).

Like I said, I would think the whole thing is just a bunch of speculation if not for the direct quotes from Delaware's coach. Maybe it's some kinda Bobby Boswell-ish thing; maybe someone here thinks they've found something big under the radar. I dunno.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | January 8, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Sunderland - Bolton and Liverpool - Spurs were postponed too.

Posted by: goonerunited | January 8, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

the arsenal everton game is on setanta. again. for now.

Posted by: rhbancroft | January 8, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse