Americans abroad

With the World Cup approaching, the weekly list will be confined to players in contention for a U.S. roster slot, well-known veterans and other notable performances. Scandinavian-based Benny Feilhaber (Aarhus), Clarence Goodson (Start) and Alejandro Bedoya (Orebro) have yet to begin their respective seasons while Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Charlie Davies (Sochaux) and Steve Cherundolo (Hanover) remain sidelined while recuperating from injuries. Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt) has returned.

GOALKEEPERS
Tim Howard 90 minutes in Everton's 2-1 loss at Spurs
Marcus Hahnemann 90 in Wolves' 1-0 loss at Bolton
Brad Guzan in 18, didn't play for Aston Villa
Brad Friedel 90 in Aston Villa's 2-1 loss to Manchester United in Carling Cup final

DEFENDERS
Kenny Cooper in 18, didn't play in Plymouth's 4-3 loss at Sheffield United
Freddy Adu in 18, didn't play in Aris' 2-0 win over Larissa
Eddie Johnson in 18, didn't play for Aris
Herculez Gomez last 64 (goal) in Puebla's 3-3 tie with Chiapas

By Steve Goff  |  February 28, 2010; 4:00 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Edu's late goal lifts Rangers over Celtic
Next: Monday kickaround

Comments

Landon Donovan 27 in Everton's 2-1 loss at Spurs
(Miss from two yards)

I missed from one yard once. It was the pitch, I swear!

Ball bounced straight off my ankle over the bar.

Nice to know multi-million dollar players can do the same.

Posted by: delantero | February 28, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

So given that you're only going to mention well-known players and those in contention for Cup Call-ups, why mention Herculez?

I have a better chance of getting called up than he does.

Posted by: alecw81 | February 28, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

In the introduction, I wrote that I would mention "other notable performances." Gomez's goal in notable.

Posted by: Steve Goff | February 28, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

At the very least, Gomez' string of goals is notable. Since Goff defined the terms of the list, Gomez qualifies. It's pretty remarkable, and maybe should be getting Bradley's attention.

Off-topic, but some curious trash-talking b Mike Petke. About tackle-kick to the knee by Toronto's DP, Julian da Guzman, which sent NYRB's DP to the bench:

"It's probably a good thing I wasn't on the field," said Petke, who had been substituted by then. "It probably would have been my first red card.

"It just thought it was a combination of them being frustrated and an average player putting a horrible tackle on a good player. Uncalled for."

Posted by: fischy | February 28, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

SCORE!! USA-CAN going to OT.

But really, we should win 7-5 on aggregate

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 28, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

But really, we should win 7-5 on aggregate

Posted by: I-270Exit1
------------------------
well in, sir!

Posted by: troy6 | February 28, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

What about the away goals rule?

Posted by: fischy | February 28, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

There's something wrong with hockey watchers who turn to a soccer blog at big moments in the game....

Posted by: fischy | February 28, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Well it has definitely been an exciting game! USA ties it up with 26 seconds in regulation!

Posted by: redskinsux | February 28, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Well..if they're gonna play the Ole song, I guess it's OK to talk about it on a soccer blog...

Posted by: fischy | February 28, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Rafalski got schooled. Great effort by USA, though. This was awesome.

Posted by: fischy | February 28, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Do'h! Not Criesby..oh, er Crosby.

Posted by: redskinsux | February 28, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

The Canucks will now be insufferable, with their flannel shirts, bilingual traffic signs, and Celine Dion songs.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 28, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry we lost, but glad I can go back to focusing on basketball, PAing high school soccer, and getting ready for the world cup.

Oh, and liking Steve Nash, Ryan Reynolyds, and Jim Carrey.

But I'll still hate Celine Dion.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 28, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Ok, so, I'm doing the PA for the high school I work with tomorrow for the first time, does anybody have an idea where to get an mp3 of the Fair Play theme? I've looked around and can't find one.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 28, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 28, 2010 7:10 PM

Any way you can hook up a lap top to the system? Here's the youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJCl4fRQAqQ

Don't know where an mp3 d/l is though.

Posted by: bentley7 | February 28, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I actually am doing the whole thing through lap top, just couldn't even find that earlier. Thanks a plenty.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 28, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Jemal Johnson scores his second goal in 3 matches for League One cellar dwellers Stockport. When is an MLS team going to take an interest in the 24 year old from New Jersey?

Posted by: bartapest1 | February 28, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

The questions are: Would Jemal Johnson even want to come to MLS? Is a League One player good enough for MLS? Does such a move represent a positive or negative step in his career? Also, if he comes to MLS and does well, what does this say about MLS's level of play?

I for one do not think a League One player is good enough to make an impact for an MLS team.

Posted by: grubbsbl | March 1, 2010 1:17 AM | Report abuse

It's bizarre to see Gomez doing so well in Mexico. In MLS, he was an adequate, hard-working player that lacked that bit of skill and also had some cheap, goonish elements to his game as well. He also got pushed into wide midfield roles here because coaches didn't see him as skilled enough to be a forward. Somehow, that unremarkable skill set translates to scoring fairly frequently for Puebla.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 1, 2010 1:37 AM | Report abuse

Congrats Canucks, you won by 1 goal, in overtime, on home-ice, in a game you invented, in a sport played by less than 1% of the American population.

Call me when Canada actually fields a team in Basketball in the Summer Games, let alone medals.

For History Buffs, the last time Canada medaled in Men's Basketball was the silver in 1936 in a 19-8 win for the US.

Posted by: alecw81 | March 1, 2010 1:53 AM | Report abuse

Alecw81, you sound remarkably bitter. You probably should have stopped after "Canucks".

Posted by: glfrazier | March 1, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

is alecw81 being funny or just a xenophobe?? does he realize that basketball was invented by a Canadian??

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | March 1, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

It is perfectly acceptable to talk ice-soccer on a football blog by fans of a team who play on a pointyball court.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | March 1, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

And we care about basketball because...

Awful showings in curling. We didn't even make the playoffs.

Kamani Hill got 1 minute for a 2nd division Portuguese team!! That's not important?

Posted by: Reignking | March 1, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

what I like about you alecw is how you see the beauty in everything. You must truly be a ray of sunshine touching all those in your life . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | March 1, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

When Bocce is included in the Summer Olympics, I will acknowledge Curling as a legitimate sport.

Posted by: fischy | March 1, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

The Olympics hate Italy, fischy.

Oh, and it is tough for Rossi to be in YA at the other board (I can't post there, blocked at work) because he hasn't played in 3 weeks :)

Posted by: Reignking | March 1, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Why don't we win medals in the biathlon? With our high rates of gun ownership, armed robbery, drive-by shootings, etc, you'd think we should own that sport. I urge the NRA to look into this.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 1, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

"Stuart Holden 90 in Bolton's 1-0 win over Wolves"

Traitor!

signed
Angus McBagpipe

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 1, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

ESPN has a great profile on Djibril Cisse, who has fought his way back in to the French national side.

He's given up on the outrageous hair, but he still has the gift of gab. This gem shows he follows what's happening to Team England:

"I become bored very quickly and I like to change everything. Everything, that is, except my wife."

The article also recalls this classic gem:

"Goals are a drug for me. I am not going to say that it is like having sex, but it's more or less the same, isn't it?"

Maybe if Donovan had that attitude, he wouldn't have missed from 2 yards....

Posted by: fischy | March 1, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

"I am not going to say that it is like having sex, but it's more or less the same, isn't it?"

* It doens't happen as often as you'd like.
* You may get many chances but you blow most of them.
* Sometimes (see Edu), the foreplay takes 90 minutes.
* The act takes a fraction of a second.
* You then celebrate it with your buddies.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 1, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for setting the table fischy.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 1, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

@I-270 -- You want a traitor? How about this guy?

Iginla assisted on Crosby's winning goal. Brother-man has a Nigerian father and a mother who hails from Oregon. How do we let him get away to the Canadian national hockey team? Did the USSF drop the ball? Did USA Hockey drop the puck? Or, is the real blame to be laid at the feet of USA Baseball authorities? Iginla first represented Canada as a catcher on the Canadian National Junior team.

Posted by: fischy | March 1, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I blame Bob Bradley.

Posted by: Reignking | March 1, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

LOL 270, aside from the foreplay taking 90 minutes you're spot on!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 1, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse