Americans, Haitians, WPS, Philly's Stadium

*American forward Jozy Altidore played 86 minutes in Hull City's 1-1 draw with visiting Chelsea. Goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann didn't play in Wolverhampton's 3-1 FA Cup loss to Crystal Palace and defender Jay DeMerit went 90 in Watford's 3-0 victory over Sheffield United.

*CONCACAF President Jack Warner visited Haiti today and vowed to help rebuild the soccer federation's headquarters, which were heavily damaged in the earthquake. FIFA has pledged $250,000 to the relief effort and Warner promised to embark on a food drive for the country. He also urged Caribbean countries to house Haitian players so they can continue training until operations are restored in Haiti.

*The WPS All-Star Game will be played June 30 (format and site to be announced) and the regular season will stretch from April 10 to Sept. 12, the league announced. The four-team playoffs will take place Sept. 19-26. Each of the eight clubs will play 24 league matches. The complete schedule will be unveiled in mid-February.

*Is that D.C. United's new stadium on the banks of the mighty Potomac or Anacostia? Nope, just the latest rendering of Philadelphia Union's stadium, which is due to open this summer (Courtesy of IOMEDIA/Philadelphia Union):
phillystadiumlatest.jpg

By Steve Goff  |  February 2, 2010; 5:41 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , CONCACAF , MLS , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United Preseason Roster
Next: Wednesday Kickaround

Comments

So, how many tons of relief supplies did Jack Warner leave Haiti with?

Posted by: DetroitTFC | February 2, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Did something change? Just seems odd that they would need a new rendering midway through construction.

Posted by: Reignking | February 2, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

This rendering has PowerBoater and friend on the river. Excuse me, the the river.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 2, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Liar.

He wouldn't have a friend.

Posted by: Reignking | February 2, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I know that shot is fake--the water's blue!

Posted by: stancollins | February 2, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Philly Stadium -- I want to cry. Happy for the Philly fans, pissed that the league's classiest franchise is now playing in a dump.

Posted by: jofij | February 2, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Nice, Two Seventy!

Posted by: delantero | February 2, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

How long does it take to render the fat from those cheesesteak-fed Philadelphians?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 2, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

I think that I'm now banned from Roy's Place and the cheesesteak place in the mall.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 2, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Right click on the pic and select View Image to see the full size, even sweeter version of the pic.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | February 2, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I did a right click and it only doubled my depression thinking about RFK.

Posted by: DCB23 | February 2, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I think that at least one person who posts here recently identified him/herself as being from northeast MD. A while back, out of curiosity, I used Mapquest to figure out the midpoint between Estadio RFK and the Electric Chair or whatever they plan to call the joint in Chester. Along I-95, it is somewhere near Havre de Grace. Up in Olsen/Gros country, the line of demarcation is in the vicinity of the Messiah campus. Will there be any switching of allegiances in those territories, I wonder?

Posted by: universityandpark | February 2, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | February 2, 2010 6:05 PM

P*rn for ticket sales.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 2, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

3 words: "Maryland Stadium Authority" They want professional soccer & they will build an 18K seat soccer only stadium to bring United to Maryland. MSA loves international soccer events and they filled (73K+) M&T Bank Stadium last summer - even more and they are committed to being in the World Cup rotation when it swings back to the U.S. This plan is already in play but will take 6 months to be finalized i.e. press release early 4th Qtr 2010. D.C. has no money and no investor base & Virginia has no interest. Maryland Stadium Authority knows fans will travel on the train or take buses to the Inner Harbor to watch United play; plus M&T & Camden Yards are proven facilities - Baltimore will win this deal - and they already have! New name will be simply "United" Eagle is the logo | not much will change just location and crab cakes w/National Bo cold one to chase it home. 2012 is the target year for moving in to the new stadium. Go United Go hun and aint that Lincoln Phillips and the Baltimore Bays gettin ready to be honored by El Diablo!
I think Mr. Goff is sitting on the story afraid to release the "micro-burst" storm that this will cause around town... Santino comes home in 2012 & see you all in Fells Point for pre-game warm ups.

Posted by: Zipfutbol | February 2, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Thats a nice looking stadium. Not going to be a bad seat in the house. I wish DC had one to play in.....

And yes I-270, I think you are now banned. Its okay though, it is just a delicious sandwich.

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 2, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

When the heck was the last time that Hull City actually won a doggone game???

Posted by: Juan-John1 | February 2, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Not funny, Goff. Seriously.

Posted by: FAkeemail9875 | February 2, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Oh Goff, why do you taunt us so?

And yes, you should see the high-res version of the picture. It's really beautiful.

Posted by: tundey | February 2, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

UGH! those open park style venues! Thee worst!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | February 2, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

The current John Terry fiasco has Wynalda talking about similarities from '98:

Posted by: apqjr | February 2, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

UGH! those open park style venues! Thee worst!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88

Dude, what are you talking about? Looks like a perfect space to get a drum circle on and a mean hackey sack session broooooooo!

Posted by: DadRyan | February 2, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the pic Goff! I mean that in the most sarcastic way.

Posted by: no_recess | February 2, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Wow Goff...That's brutal.

Posted by: sire1 | February 2, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Harkes was over-egging the pudding with Wynalda's wife in '98!

Posted by: edgeonyou | February 2, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

He terk yer jarb!

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | February 2, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Vow...the cat is out of the bag now on the Harkes situation. Man, even at my young age, I tell you that its tough to make decisions sometimes:

but this is really crazy. Its not easy being the leader.

Posted by: godpere | February 2, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Three words: Bros before ho's.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 3, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Another "inflammatory" situation on the wires: DaMarcus Beasley is not harmed as his car is deliberately set ablaze outside his Glasgow home.

Posted by: fischy | February 3, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Also -- in mind of the Union stadium piece -- this item on the net regarding unnamed source claiming that Kraft family is about to announce plans to build an SSS in Foxborough. Apparently, if this is to be believed, they've tired of the lack of movement on the Somerville stadium plans (at least, that site would be accessible by commuter train)...and now they're going forward with private financing. Are you paying attention DC United? Looking at recent deals, I'd say the best DCU could hope for is to have some locality (DC) provide the needed real estate free-of-charge.

Posted by: fischy | February 3, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

I thought this Harkes-Wynalda thing was widely, widely known years ago. As in, reported in prominent news outlets. Am I losing my mind?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 3, 2010 2:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | February 2, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

I hail from Bel Air MD. which is about 12 mins by car to Havre de Grace. Problem with the Philly commute would be tolls.(1 at Perryville then 2 in Delaware) There are ways around them but it would cost you a hell of alot more time. I curretly pay 1 toll (each way)at the tunnels in Baltimore. Been a season ticket holder for 13.5 years. I don't think I would jump, but I'd make the trek a few times a year. My brother went to Widener U, parts of Chester are pretty crappy. I'd totally be down for the move to Baltimore. At least you'd be able to go out before & after games.

Posted by: dculoyal | February 3, 2010 6:34 AM | Report abuse

wow...that Wynalda piece took up such little space in the sports section but i think for for us here it read like a giant screaming front page headline. wow.

Posted by: DCB23 | February 3, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

DC United is a class organization but Payne continues to bring it down several levels...

Posted by: LCR-54 | February 3, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

@ Zipfutbol

What are you basing the following statement on:

"Virginia has no interest"

Virginia has no interest in what, building a stadium? That is not true. There are interest groups in Loudon County, VA that would love to bring DCU to VA. I find it funny when people post baseless opinions.

Posted by: no_recess | February 3, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Steven Goff, insufferable jerk. So full of himself, he has toadies carry his ego from venue to venue.

Posted by: Boogie_Knight | February 3, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Well -- you're proof that one can be an insufferable jerk even without having any toadies of your own.

Posted by: fischy | February 3, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

It just sucks so bad that NY, Philly, and hell, even Portland are gonna be playing in new soccer stadiums before DC United does. I don't care if Fenty fixes the schools (or not) or gives all his buddies city contracts...as long as he somehow gets a stadium deal done this year!

Posted by: soccerman | February 3, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah...and I forgot Kansas City! We got their coach and they got our stadium - how bad a trade is that?

Posted by: soccerman | February 3, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

dculoyal: I only recall one tollbooth in Delaware (two if you cross the bridge into Joisey, but not if you stay on the Chester side of the river). And that toll is actually fairly easy to avoid. The Post even ran an article on it some time back. You just get off at the last exit before the state line (MD Rte. 279), enter Delaware and take Route 2 along the outskirts of Newark for a couple of miles, and then return to I-95 via Route 896. It only adds a few minutes to your trip.

The tollbooth at Perryville is harder to avoid, but if you are starting from Bel Air, you are already close to Route 1. You may wish to consider avoiding all tolls by taking Route 1 to Route 322, and then continuing on to Chester. It is a very scenic route (at least the part along Route 1). I also see a route that follows Route 273 to Newark on the map, but I've never done it myself.

To make things simple, I think we should treat the Susquehanna as the DMZ.

Posted by: universityandpark | February 3, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Philadelphia Union will only play day games.

That's right. You read it here first. If you look at the new rendering carefully, you'll see that there are no field lights anywhere. Ha!

Right click on the picture and zoom in. You won't see any lights for the field.

Posted by: WorldCup | February 3, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

No parking either!

Posted by: jermWV | February 3, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

If you go to the PU's website and look at construction photos you can clearly see that they've already installed the lights... Soooooo...

The parking is across the street, under the off ramp coming down from the bridge.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 3, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse