Bradley, Hartman-Thornton, Red Bulls, Chastain

*American midfielder Michael Bradley went 90 minutes and played a gorgeous through ball that helped set up Moenchengladbach's first goal during a 2-1 Bundesliga victory over Nuremberg.

*Goalkeeper Kevin Hartman has been called into U.S. national team camp after Zach Thornton suffered a strained hip flexor in training Thursday.

*The New York Red Bulls waived goalkeeper Danny Cepero, who anchored the club's improbable run to MLS Cup '08 following Jon Conway's late-season suspension. Last year, however, Cepero had a 2-8-3 record and 1.74 goals against average for the woeful Red Bulls. The club also waived defenders Carlos Johnson and Walter Garcia, and did not exercise the option on former Crystal Palace Baltimore midfielder Matthew Mbuta's contract.

*Gold Pride (Bay Area) has released former U.S. national team star Brandi Chastain, 41, who made 10 appearances and five starts in WPS last year.

By Steve Goff  |  February 12, 2010; 4:50 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , MLS , U.S. men's national team , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United news & notes
Next: D.C. United opens preseason schedule

Comments

How can you waive a 'keeper who's also a goal-scoring MACHINE like Cepero?!?

Posted by: Modibo | February 12, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Brandi Chastain can do more pushups than Jay Rockers.

Thx!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 12, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if DC will make a move for Garcia. We were interested in him in the past, so it makes sense that they might take a look at him since we are still looking at CBs.

Posted by: jason1551 | February 12, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

So does this mean that OWNTF will stop calling them "Old Pride?"

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 12, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I love Brandi Chastain and here's why. And "it's not about the bra." Mostly not anyway.

* Cal Berkely 1986, Soccer America Freshman of Year. Then missed two years after reconstructive surgery on both ACLs.

* WNT debut in 1988 as 19-year old forward.

* Enrolled Santa Clara -- two NCAA Final Fours.

* Member of WNT that won 1st WWC in China in 1991.

* 1993 cut by Anson Dorrance after 20 caps. Many players would consider that the end of an outstanding career.

* Converted to defender on advice of new coach Tony DeCicco. After 2 years away from WNT, was invited back to camp in 1995, made team, started every game in 1996 Olympics, winning gold.

* Starting defender 99 World Cup. In quarterfinal at RFK, scored an early own goal to give Germany 1-0 lead. Later scored redeemer goal to even up at 2-2, and US won 3-2.

* Finals PK heard round the world -- covers of Time, Newsweek, Sports Illustrated and People.

* Broke foot in 1st game 2003 WWC.

* 2004 Olympics -- 2d gold.

* 2005 -- cut by Greg Ryan (remember him?) without inviting her to training camp. 172 caps, 153 of which came after her switch to defender.

* "I have loved soccer long before Greg Ryan became coach. I continue to love soccer today, and will do the same long after he and other coaches have come and gone. This situation doesn't change that one bit. That is why I am undaunted by this recent development. I have been through this once before, when Anson Dorrance cut me from the national team following the first World Championship in '91, and I sat out the '95 World Cup. Now, as then, I will continue to pull the bag of balls out of my car, put on my cleats and use everyday to improve my technique, fitness and overall game, for the day when I will be back on the field. I have seen this action plan work, and I am not afraid to see this as a challenge of spirit, character and hard work. In the meantime, I will do what I did then, which is play for the Sacramento Storm of the WPSL, and attempt to help that team win a championship. Also, I will stand as close to pitch without playing as you can get for ESPN2 and MLS on Soccer Saturdays, hopefully inspiring new fans, soccer die-hards and players alike to enjoy the greatness of our game."

* 4 years later at the age of 40 started 5 games in the new WPS, playing against some players who were in diapers when she was first capped.

That's good stuff.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 12, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Brandi Chastain can do more pushups than Jay Rockers.

Thx!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor

I don't doubt it, although I don't know why you would need to bring it up in the first place.

Kevin Hartman are on the depth chart for NT callups at this point in their careers. What ever happened to Chris Seitz? Or Pickens, or Busch, or Cannon...?

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | February 12, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Should the Freedom go after her?

Posted by: stwasm | February 12, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Right now, Hartman's probably better. He's become a seriously good shot-blocker(his highlight reel the last few years is as good as anyone's), while Cannon seems to have slipped. Unlike Seitz, Hartman plays regularly for his club team (which is why I think Hahnemann should be Howard's back-up, not Guzan). Pickens was too big for his britches with the move to England -- I'd take Hartman over him. Busch, arguably is as good as Hartman, but doesn't have the experience you'd want in a national team keeper.

Forget GAA -- that says as much or more about a team's defense. Only Matt Reis made more saves than Hartman last year. Actually, an interesting tidbit for those DCU fans that are so down on Josh Wicks: Only Matt Reis averaged more saves per minutes played than Wicks. Josh had a very respectable 0.75 saves/shots rate -- a tad better than Hartman and exactly equal with or better than Kasey Keller (MLS lists two different save totals for Keller). Of course, by that measure, Cepero was pretty close, too.

Another thing I learned today -- RSL wasn't just lucky to win the Cup. RSL is a lot better team than they were given credit for by one measure: They were the league's best team at home -- the best home record, the second stingiest defense, and had the best offense by a long-shot (the gap between 1st and 2nd was twice as big as any other gap). They looked mediocre because they were as awful on the road as they were good at home. Only the Red Bulls were a worse road team. So, either RSL was a pretty good team that showed its true colors in the playoffs, or they were a team that had a huge home-field high altitude advantage and got very lucky in the playoffs.

Thx,

Me!

Posted by: fischy | February 12, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Apparently Hartman isn't actually playing for anyone at the moment. He's been negotiating with MLS but KC says that he is not in their current plans.

Posted by: fedssocr | February 12, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Also leaned this -- DCU didn't just blow games with mental lapses on defense in the second half. Their defense collapsed in the second half of games. Only the Revs and DCU allowed more than 200 shots in the second half of games, and no team had such a pronounced defensive fall-off in the second half of games (and only Dallas had a worse record when leading at the the half). This probably accounts for United having the league's worst winning percentage when scoring the first goal. Was it a lack of fitness or cluelessness about how to play with a lead?

Posted by: fischy | February 12, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Opening Ceremonies from an MLS stadium...

Posted by: Reignking | February 12, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Also, looking at the numbers, I think a case can be made to bring back Gomez -- except maybe the defensive stats. The perception has always been that Gomez wasn't fit enough, and maybe that contributed to DC's second-half woes. His offense, though, was underrated last year. He had more goals from the run of play than Moreno. His shots-on-goal/shots ratio during run of play was better than 50%. Sure his assist total was way below what DCU expected, but that might be a chicken-and-egg argument. With better striker play this year from Allsopp and Pontius (instead of Piernas de Piedra Emilio, aging Moreno and rookie Pontius) and better wing play from Castillo and Quaranta (instead of Wallace and Fred), Gomez could be a much more potent force in the offense. Just saying. Somebody got a better option?

Posted by: fischy | February 12, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Should the Freedom go after her?
Posted by: stwasm
===============

She's 41 years old and a 45 minute player with 0G and 0A in 10 matches played last season. So despite the large debt of gratitude that American soccer owes her (see OWNTF's post), I say no.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 12, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Bradley's through ball. Obscene is a good word for it.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 12, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Fischy: I agree on Hahnemann vs. Guzan. If Guzan is good enough to be #2 on the USMNT despite riding pine then he should either fire his agent or insist that he find a team that will make him a starter. Howard has many years ahead of him.

Posted by: b18bolo | February 12, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Re: Bradley assist .

It was a "bade bood passe" per the commentator.

It was perfectly weighted, but on real TV you can see it went under/through the defender's leg. That makes it either a lucky pass or an even better pass.

Posted by: delantero | February 12, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Warning. Not for the faint of heart.

Looks like a fracture/dislocation of the ankle. Felipe Luis, Portuguese footballer.

Posted by: delantero | February 12, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

And now Steve Nash. MLS/soccer lovefest tonight.

Posted by: Reignking | February 12, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

yeah, that's from weeks ago, delantero...

Posted by: Reignking | February 12, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Re: Gladbach goal

In Spain, Portugal, or Italy, the forward takes a spill when dove on by the goalie like that

Posted by: carmines757 | February 13, 2010 2:03 AM | Report abuse

Anyone watch the first 65 minutes of Soton-Pompey that was 0-0? I just caught the last 25 that was 1-4.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 13, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Chastain is an icon. A superb footballer with outstanding vision and passion for the game. What a a magnificent career!!!!

Posted by: juke2 | February 13, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

delantero-it's filipe Luis and he's Brazilian, not Portuguese. Saw it on TV, made me cringe.

Posted by: olinto | February 13, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

My wife and I were at that 1999 WWC game at Jack Kent Cooke Stadium in Landover, MD (not RFK). One of the most exiting games we ever saw. Among other things, we had tickets for the finals at the Rose Bowl. The thought did cross my mind that if the USWNT lost, there would be a lot less interest in the finals. US pulled it out, and the rest is history (95,000 fans for a women's game; 40 million watched on TV).

I was not a Chastain fan then, but she has gradually won me over with her attitude, if not her soccer skills.

Speaking of which, is it just me, or were those players who won the 1991 and 1999 WWC and the gold in 1996 a lot more skilled than the players today?

Posted by: jack35 | February 13, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing the difference between the US WNT skill and athleticism and that of their opponents was much greater than it is today, but they were not more technical or fit than today's players on average, maybe even less so. Wonder what someone who knows, like Dorrance, would say.

But the fact that one can even compare generations of players is a testament to the 91ers achievement.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 13, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

42 days until United's first 2010 league match!

Any thoughts on who will act as CM in today's match?

Posted by: Curious99 | February 13, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Day late, dollar short, as usual. You should see the stack of old magazines I have lying around

Not my fault the dude has two first names . . and the Gol TV called him Felipe Luis, which is what came up when I googled it, with info . . I suppose you can't trust the net . .

Either way, the video is friggin horrific.

Posted by: delantero | February 13, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm going through my old mags today.

I caught the video the day after on marca. Just awful.

Posted by: Reignking | February 13, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse