Charlie Davies discusses comeback

Four months since suffering severe injuries in a car accident near Washington, American forward Charlie Davies was reunited with his FC Sochaux teammates in France today and, in an interview posted on the club's Web site, he discusses his rehabilitation and comeback. Watch the video.

"I have come a long way. I'd say I am probably a month away from being able to train with the team regularly and I need a little more time to be able to get match-fit again. I'd say I am not too far away from playing again."

By Steve Goff  |  February 18, 2010; 12:22 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Americans Abroad , France , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: 7 Goals for Atlas
Next: Bonuses at stake for World Cup players

Comments

Nice warm welcome in the freezing cold...

Posted by: Reignking | February 18, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

That was quick...

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | February 18, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Inspiring.

Posted by: beergorila | February 18, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Outrageous. I fear that he is being a bit optimistic, but then he would not be making the progress he is if he wasn't an optimist.

Posted by: glfrazier | February 18, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

jesus SG, Charlie came back from so many injuries I'm surprised the french media isnt saying charlie made up the injuries (a la lance armstrong & cancer). how did this guy come back from so much? I f he makes it to S. Africa, and we see Cabanas running around with a Peter Cech type helmet for paraguay, that could provide some great storylines for the world cup. A 90percent Charlie Davies is still a great option, so is a cabanas (even if he has to stand aside during corner kicks).

Posted by: alespar415 | February 18, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

The injuries are exaggerated. It's a cover up by USSF and the Park Police.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 18, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Maybe GeneWells is actually Greg Lemond?

Posted by: DadRyan | February 18, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

and to think there are still people doubting him, unreal. Glad to see you back Charlie!!

Posted by: pino149 | February 18, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

The injuries are exaggerated. It's a cover up by USSF and the Park Police.

Posted by: I-270Exit1

Very similar to Stephen Colbert accusing Bob Costas and NBC of making up Lindsey Vonn's shin bruise to up the drama.

Posted by: Reignking | February 18, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Unbelievable. More power to him.

Posted by: teo_68 | February 18, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Good news on Davies. Now let's hope DCU opens up their (our) wallets and gets us a QUALITY Center mid-fielder. The team is doomed to mediocrity without one...maybe even with one, if the Australian and Chris cannot score the balls they get from a new-- to be acquired, Center Mid.

Posted by: lemovs1 | February 18, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Considering United would only be able to acquire a player who is currently not under contract, I think we'll be waiting til Summer to get anyone new.

Posted by: alecw81 | February 18, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I have to say, before this interview I thought there was no way in hell that Davies would play in the World Cup. I'm now on my way to becoming a believer.

Posted by: BooThisMan | February 18, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse