D.C. United Acquires Cristman in Trade

D.C. United has acquired forward Adam Cristman from the Kansas City Wizards for an international player slot. Each club is given eight slots to fill with foreign players. As a result of the trade, United now has seven and the Wizards nine for the next two seasons.

Cristman, 25, will add to United's frontline depth and compete for playing time with Jaime Moreno, Chris Pontius and Danny Allsopp. He was limited to five league matches last year because of foot and hamstring ailments.

New England's fourth-round draft pick from the University of Virginia in 2007, Cristman had four goals and four assists in 14 starts to emerge as one of three finalists for MLS rookie of the year. In 2008, he had six goals and one assist in 16 starts before being dealt to Kansas City, where he played for Curt Onalfo, the new United head coach.

"He is a hard-working, athletic striker who will provide solid cover for us," General Manager Dave Kasper said.

By Steve Goff  |  February 3, 2010; 3:40 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United Schedule Announced
Next: D.C. United news & notes

Comments

Meh...

A.J. Wood 2.0

Posted by: ARickey | February 3, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

At least the dudes a hustler.

Posted by: francisco_11 | February 3, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Great move! Goff how do the new additions look in practice?

Posted by: ihillvt | February 3, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I think 8 is the over/under for goals this year from Cristman.

I think he scores 11-plus. With the personnel D.C. has right now, I think Pontius-Cristman will easily end up being the first choice pairing.

*waits for "No, it can't be."*

Posted by: Jooseppi | February 3, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Depth and probably not much more (not that this is a bad thing). I'm a little worried about having only 7 international spots (I count Kocic, Jakovic, N'Galuga, Castillo, Shipalane, Two-Boys, Allsopp, and Moreno) so 8 internationals already.

This seems to imply that we aren't likely to sign an international player anytime soon (although I guess we could cut Shipalane and Two-Boys without that much trouble).

Posted by: Wyrm1 | February 3, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Holy crap, I got one complete guess right. Bound to happen.

I thought the acquisition made sense; now let's hope he stays healthy.

Posted by: Reignking | February 3, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I remember Cristman for new england as being difficult to deal with. He works hard, has a good physical presence, and is pretty smart in his positioning.

He could be a good 60 min sub or as someone to get onto a through ball from Jaime.

Not a super game changer, but solid. Having him is better than not having him.

Posted by: bigbadbri | February 3, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

----------

Dood, Jaime's had a green card for years, he doesn't count. Without inspecting each I wouldn't be surprised if another guy (maybe Kocic) had one too.

Posted by: stancollins | February 3, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Not bad - good to see depth at forward.

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | February 3, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Like it. Big, physical, makes things happen in the final third, finishes chances.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 3, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Normally the MLSnet page is accurate about international status, but it seems like it's outdated right now:

But Jaime doesn't count as an international, I think Kocic has resident status, and Two-Boys is probably a longshot to make the team.

Posted by: Jooseppi | February 3, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

When did the Chicago Fire change their name to Chicago Fire S.C.? Its on Wikipedia - have I been just not noticing this over the past few years?

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | February 3, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

What do we make of this deal? Clearly, Onalfo likes Cristman. Actually, so do I...or. at least I did when he was a rookie. I was very impressed, and didn't understand why Nicol wasn't using him more in the next year. Cristman fills a need, for sure. Being optimistic about all those trialists in defense, there is only one glaring hole left in United's roster -- the playmaking midfielder.

This isn't a no-brainer, though. International slots are usually a precious commodity, I think United might OK with 7, but I'm not sure. The MLS club roster no longer lists an "I" for international, so I"m trying to figure this out. Right now, we have Allsopp, James, Wallace, Jakovic and N'Galula, for sure. I assume Shipilane and Gumede are internationals. I expect Khumalo is too, but it would be nice if he's not. Perhaps Wallace is applying for (or has) a green card? I realize Kocic is probably an international -- I really don't expect him to be around very long, but he might complicate things until Wicks returns. That's nine players -- assuming none have green cards -- but out of Shipilane, Gumede and Khumalo, there's little chance that all 3 will make the roster. One, or possibly two, but not all three...

What this might mean, though, is that the team can not add any internationals, right now. Perhaps, they feel they can make a deal for a slot, later?

Can anyone help pin down the status of some of foreign players who have attended college here, or been here for a few years (Wallace, Khumalo, Gumede, Shipilane, Kocic, Jakovic)? Anyone know whether any of these players are not internationals (or whether they're pursuing applications for permanent residency)?

Posted by: fischy | February 3, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Oops. I forgot Castillo. I take it back. The team needs to get an international slot, unless some of these Africans and Europeans have green cards.

Posted by: fischy | February 3, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Grella's coming on with 4+ minutes left....!!!

Posted by: fischy | February 3, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Fischy: "Clearly, Onalfo likes Cristman." Bingo. As coach, you don't make a deal like this unless you have a great deal of confidence in a guy who played for you. So since I've decided to be bullish on Onalfo I'll be bullish on Cristman.

Posted by: dccal | February 3, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Didn't he have a pretty serious injury at one point? I like it though. Big bruising forward. Something we have never really had.

Posted by: fedssocr | February 3, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

IIRC, DCU was at 8, until Luci received a green card last year, which would move them down to 7. this offseason they replaced Gomez, Fred, and N'Silu with Alsopp, Castillo, and Flobot.

Posted by: VTUnited | February 3, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Grella is getting 4 minutes...we're supposed to be excited by that?

Posted by: Reignking | February 3, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Each club is given eight slots to fill with foreign players.

That's racist.

Posted by: tailwagger | February 3, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

This is a good deal. It disappears in 2 years, but Cristman doesn't. And if you have the chance this summer to make a big move and it means you dump Shipilane or Kocic or James or N'Galula or whoever, plain and simple you make that move. Period. This is a no-brainer, given the current condition of the roster.

Posted by: benonthehill | February 3, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Kocic has been in the US since 2004, so I'd assume he'd have a Green Card.

Moreno has a Green Card.

Julius James has been here since 2003, likely has a Green Card as well.

Jakovic is an International

Wallace is still an International, but should be close to citizenship.

Shipalane and Castillo are Internationals.

N'Galula and Khumalo are Internationals, as is Alsopp.

That's 7 by my count.

Although I believed United had acquired another International Roster Spot from Colorado when we picked up Gomez. Perhaps I'm not remembering correctly.

Posted by: alecw81 | February 3, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Cristman's salary last year: 34,650. At that price, excellent depth -- far better than N'Silu, for instance.

Posted by: you-dont | February 3, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Didn't think it was possible for this team to become any slower...guess I was wrong.

Posted by: DCU_VW | February 3, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Meh...

A.J. Wood 2.0

Posted by: ARickey | February 3, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

ahahaha...yep. I'm not excited about this signing either.

How many foreign slots are vacant for us now?

Posted by: Atlanta4MLS | February 3, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

@Reignking -- Well, you could get excited about Grella coming on in the biggest match of Leeds' season, when the team is desperate to get an equalizing goal -- excited about what this says regarding the coach's confidence in him and what it might say about his place in the team when starting striker Jermaine Beckford moves on next season.

Posted by: fischy | February 3, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I feel kinda bad for you guys. For years your team had a dominating roster that included many of the best internationals in the league.

And now Adam Cristman?

I don't get the money situation in D.C. You get rid of your D.P. you should have a lot of money around to add some quality (most likely international) players.

Good luck

Posted by: scott47a | February 3, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

alecw81:

Wallace is a Green Card holder. Kocic and James aren't. By my count, we have 8 international players (Kocic, James, N'Galula, Jakovic, Allsopp, Castillo, Khumalo, and Shipalane). It seems safe to reason that James, N'Galula, Jakovic, Allsopp, and Castillo are going to be on the team, so Kocic, Khumalo, and Shipalane are the guys currently in trouble.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 3, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Chest -- Don't forget Two-Boys. Also, there's the earlier report that Arzu might be coming (perhaps this is why he's not yet in camp?). It'll be interesting. Guys aren't just competing against players for the same position -- they're fighting for the last couple of international slots.

I wonder if they'll try to trade anyone? Kocic and Khumalo seem the most tradable, but would also be valuable subs at the start of the season (given health and experience of projected backups).

Goff -- can you confirm? Wallace -- green card; Kocic, Jakovic, James, Khumalo, Shipilane and Gumede -- international status?

Posted by: fischy | February 3, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Adam isn't Bolt but hes not slow. Twice as fast as Moreno, well maybe that's still not saying much.

Posted by: francisco_11 | February 3, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

@scott47a Not fair of you to come hear saying you feel bad for United fans without disclosing what team you root for!

We needed a fourth forward, and Cristman has been pretty successful off the bench. I don't see Cristman starting unless we have injuries or Alsopp is a complete bust.

Posted by: DCUMD | February 3, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

N'Galula is no guarantee.

Really surprised that neither Kocic nor James have Green Cards yet. We need to get some of our kids to marry Americans.

Posted by: alecw81 | February 3, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I like this move. His goals to starts ratio is excellent. Shows he makes the best out of any ball when he's near the goal.

Posted by: spata1 | February 3, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

no space for Riquelme I guess

Posted by: OWNTF | February 3, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

scott47a:

Cristman's going to be our 4th choice striker. In MLS, he's not a bad player to have as your #4 forward. Look around the league: even the best teams don't have 4 starting-quality forwards. That's the reality of a low cap.

OWNTF:

Yeah, I guess he'll have to come into camp and fight for a spot like Graye.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 3, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

This is just the sort of constructive thinking that DC has been missing the last few years (replacing Boswell with Gonzalo Peralta, anyone?)

Being successful in MLS means finding funtional pieces, and I think this kid fits the bill. It has been shown that you build solidly and augment with foreign talent. I'd rather have a foundation be there than try to grasp at South American straws.

By the way, has anyone seen the first day of training video? I'm seeing so much more energy, speed, and competiveness than I have in the last few seasons.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 3, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

scott47a is an SSFC fan, and we don't need your pity brother. You've got enough problems on your hands hoping the Swede doesn't miss half the season due to shopping spree migraines, and getting anything other than accidental goals out of Jaqua.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 3, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

@scott47a

Chang is obviously trying to make a significant dent in the red ink the team has allegedly been drowning in. given how much money was wasted last year relative to performance, that seems like a prudent move since, for now, this team seems like it's at least the equivalent of last year's team and hopefully represents an improvement. you could argue that DCU has improved at forward, defense (with a 4-man backline, Wallace over Burch and a healthy Namoff) and goalkeeper. and in Coaching. and a midfield of Quaranta, Simms, Szetela and Castillo could potentially hold its own.

that said, there is no shortage of question marks here. but how many teams in MLS (or any sport) don't have any questions marks?

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | February 3, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

We traded for an international slot last year (Colorado), which should still be with us this year. We move from 9 slots to 8, unless the spot only lasted a season (possible, but unlikely).

Goff, does this signal that a few of our current internationals may be getting green cards? Some of them (James, Kocic, Jakovic, and Khumalo) have certainly been here long enough.

Posted by: jason1551 | February 3, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

It's the Center Midfield position guys! That is what matters now.It a glaring HOLE in the team.
Without a proven international acquisition we are probably just like last year again.
Why is DCU so cheap?
You have to invest a little money to lure those season ticket and regular fans.
Are you listening Mr. Chang and Mr. Payne?

Posted by: lemovs1 | February 3, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

As Dad pointed out, I'm a Sounders FC guy. But I have been following the league for many years previous to Seattle joining and can't help but fondly remember the Etcheverry years. And at some point Christian Gomez became that kind of player/team leader too.

I just don't see that on your squad right now. Where's the imagination going to come from, the -- to quote Chris Sullivan -- "fantasy"?

Cristman is just not my kind of player. The guy makes Jaqua look really good by comparison.

I keep waiting for the league's most respected, heralded side to make a move that will make people say "damn, they are going to be great."

Posted by: scott47a | February 3, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I did see that video and noted the brief appearance of Coach Olsen.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 3, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

@scott -- I do think that's a telling observation. The team may be starting to take on Onalfo's personality, for better or worse. With guys like Allsopp, Pontius, and Cristman up top, and the lack of any center-mid capable of orchestrating the attack...I would call this a workmanlike bunch. They're becoming more physical -- bigger, a bit faster, younger overall, and fitter. Not necessarily a bad thing. It leaves them one or two breakout players away from being really dangerous. Maybe Castillo and Pontius can provide some of that. I'd still like to see someone with a little creativity in the center of the field.

I totally disagree with the "cheap" meme, though a healthier bottom line might be more attractive to other investors. First, none of us know what guys like Allsopp, Castillo and N'Galula cost. Perkins didn't come cheap. Still, it's probably true that the team is well below the cap. I continue to believe that the team is carving out serious cap room for one and possibly two DPs, in the future -- after the World Cup, or next year.

Posted by: fischy | February 3, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

"I continue to believe that the team is carving out serious cap room for one and possibly two DPs, in the future -- after the World Cup, or next year."

Excellent point. Maybe it shows this team taking a view towarding building something long-term. The guys we have look to be quality MLS players. They might be actually able to begin to play as a unit and, with the addition of one or two players of superior quality, might turn DCU into a MLS powerhouse again as well as a team built to compete with the quality clubs of the region.

Posted by: rcdwriting | February 3, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Cristman = depth. 6 goals and 1 assist in only 16 starts in 2008 . . . not bad, especially compared with our striker production in the last few years.

Posted by: delantero | February 3, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

I would not be surprised if they traded Szetela.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | February 3, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

i have to admit scott has a point.

who on DCU really scares anyone? we used to be the team that finds a freddy montero... now we find n'silou

Posted by: dcalize | February 3, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Cristman was one of my favorite players to watch at UVA. If he stays healthy, he will score goals. Maybe not double digits, but close. Like Chest said, not bad for a 4th option striker.

Posted by: dcbird | February 3, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Like I said on B.S. there is too much reverse xenophobia going on here. International does not necessarily mean good.

I think Cristman is a good player, and I wouldn't call him our "#4 striker" either.

I'd say Pontius is #1, and the rest are all #2 depending on who is more fit at the time.

Cristman will do more for DCU than Jaqua will for Seattle, that's for sure.

Again, I reiterate. DCU does not NEED a true #10. Would you really call Lampard or Gerrard a #10? I know I wouldn't.

Posted by: alecw81 | February 4, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse

You heard it here first, we're getting both Lampard AND Gerrard!

Posted by: spidergoose | February 4, 2010 7:13 AM | Report abuse

Not that Pontius is a bad player, but if he is our #1 striker, we are in sorry shape.

Posted by: Ron16 | February 4, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

@alecw81

Wallace is not an international. I am sure that he has a green card because it was discussed last year when he was drafted.

Posted by: no_recess | February 4, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

The name of the game is execution on both sides of the ball; players must train as they play and not anything less. I wonder how many MLS teams operate under such conditions.

Posted by: juke2 | February 4, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse