D.C. United draws in preseason match

D.C. United was held scoreless in a preseason friendly in Bradenton, Fla. for the second straight time, this time during a 0-0 draw with Toronto FC on Wednesday. United opened with a 1-0 loss to Columbus on Saturday.

Australian forward Danny Allsopp made his debut, as did trialist Quiarol Arzu, a central defender from Honduras, who played 90 minutes.

Troy Perkins and Chris Pontius (national team duty) remain unavailable while Santino Quaranta, Bryan Namoff, Julius James, Danny Szetela and Josh Wicks are sidelined for medical reasons. Christian Castillo has a minor knee ailment and was held out and Brandon Barklage was given the day off. Trialists John DiRaimondo and Daniel Wasson did not play. Jamaican trialist Jermaine Taylor, a central defender, is not in camp yet.

The starters: Kocic; Vaughn, Arzu, Jakovic, Burch; Khumalo, Simms, Najar, Wallace; Moreno, Allsopp. Yes, that is Andy Najar, a youth academy midfielder who has played in both preseason matches.

Second-half subs: Hamid, Adams, Graye, N'Galula, McTavish, Shipalane, Cristman, Gumede.

By Steve Goff  |  February 17, 2010; 1:16 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS labor negotiations in trouble?
Next: U.S. World Cup tuneup update

Comments

Kid's holding his own, huh? That's good stuff.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 17, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I think we slot Najar in the center of the park right now. right?

Posted by: Matte | February 17, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Gotta like that Hamid is getting some minutes in training matches. While they aren't league games yet, I still feel that was a coup of a signing.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | February 17, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that Najar was chosen over McTavish. A sign?

Posted by: ihillvt | February 17, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

so i Najar the next potential academy signing? he's 17, right?

by the way, did MLs ever sort out what happened to academy players who went to college for a year? are they draftees? direct signing possibilities?

Posted by: joshuaostevens | February 17, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

As far as I can tell Najar started in the middle of the park, not a spot McTavish is really ever been considered for... I'm loving the Hamid is excelling, gives me confidence that we don't need to keep Milos around as we will probably need his international slot

Posted by: BurchFan4 | February 17, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Given United's recent history with head injuries I'm becoming more and more nervous about Namoff.

Posted by: KireDCU | February 17, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

So basically, in a theoretical best-starting-11 for United - Perkins; Namoff, Jakovic, James, Burch/Wallace; Szetela, Simms, Quaranta, Castillo; Allsopp, Pontius - out of those 11, we have six guys not playing in pre-season right now, and one who only just joined the team.

This is a roster and a team far from settled, and while we don't have too much time left, I almost feel like we should view this game and the Columbus game in the same way we'll view and compare the USA/El Salvador game to the final World Cup squad.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | February 17, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Not bad, considering that many of our regulars haven't even played.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 17, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I think it's funny that Onalfo sort of bragged about how his "state of the art" training techniques helped KC to have the fewest injuries in the league the last couple years, and in his first first few weeks with United he's got a healthy list of injured players (granted several of them are injuries suffered last seasons).

It's nice to see the young kids getting playing time. Is there a rule on how many 1st team training sessions that an academy player can participate in?

Posted by: TCompton | February 17, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if Stuart Holden will be on the bench at least in this Bolton/Wigan? match coming on ESPN this afternoon. Probably try to watch Porto/Arsenal online, but will turn on the tube if there is a chance Stuey gets in today.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 17, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Holden is not on the bench according to ESPN's gametracker.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | February 17, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

And the game isn't on tv either. knew I never should have believed anything I read on SBI...Can't find any feeds worth watching for any of the CL action going on. Crap.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 17, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Pencils, or crayons?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 17, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Ummm...Trialist (?) John Di Raimondo?? When did that happen? Hasty cut-and-paste error, perhaps? Did you mean DiRaimondo and trialist Andrew Quinn did not play?

Posted by: fischy | February 17, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Kid's always down for a nap round this time on Champion's League matchdays if I can help it. Personally I really like crayons pencils are always messy for Lefties.
Joe Doc your new handle disturbs me. There's a Rand al Thor on Big Soccer that's a Flounders fan...

Posted by: DadRyan | February 17, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

A DCU tidbit: The team has announced 3 local matches for DCU reserves, early in the MLS season. Win-win for all parties involved -- and open to the public @ RFK grounds.

Crystal Palace Baltimore on March 29 at 11 AM. It's a Monday game, but if you're among the under-employed... Better scheduling is a Sunday match on April 11 at 11 AM, as the Black-and-Red reserves host Real Maryland. That's the day after our road road trip for the Union's home-opener at the Linc. Then, a mid-week match against the Terps on Wednesday, April 14 at 10 AM.

Posted by: fischy | February 17, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, dadryan!

I can assure you I do not spend time on BigSoccer. Haven't been to the site in months, and have never posted.

BTW... the pencils/crayons crack refers to Goff's headline.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 17, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joshuaostevens | February 17, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

--------------

You can still be directly signed, unless you've completed your college eligibility.

Posted by: stancollins | February 17, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joshuaostevens | February 17, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

--------------

---------------------

Posted by: TCompton | February 17, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse
---------------------

I think there's an NCAA rule about how much you can do it and not be considered a pro, but I know that the NCAA is in the midst of abolishing these types of rules.

Posted by: stancollins | February 17, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

What will happen first?

United scoring a goal in preseason or the snow completely melting?

Yeah, yeah I know - "it's early; we don't have all our starters; blah blah blah"

Throw me a frickin bone here and score a stinkin' goal...

Rant over. Please continue..

Posted by: ARickey | February 17, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

@Joe Thor: Well, I never claimed to be the sharpest pencil in the drawer...

Posted by: DadRyan | February 17, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

McTavish did score........

Posted by: DadRyan | February 17, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Can we assume Toronto's lineup was just as second-string as ours?

Maybe they played a bunch of starters, which means we'll beat the crap out of them in the season. ARickey, that's as good as a goal, isn't it?

Posted by: fallschurch1 | February 17, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

TFC's roster was on the DCU twitter feed. I remember seeing DeGuzman, DeRosario, and Dickov (who I assume replaces Dichio on the roster as the guy with the awkward name).

Posted by: benonthehill | February 17, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Heh.

Dichio Dickov - where's Beavis when you need him?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 17, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Dickov's still with TFC? I read the Sky Sports ticker yesterday claiming he was headed back to a new deal with Leeds.

Posted by: fischy | February 17, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

38 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | February 17, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

"Cristman plays a lovely ball to the back post and Barklage nods it home.." DCU reseve team wins again. Join us next next week as Cristman & Barklage travel to Richmond to battle The Kickers lead by that savy veteran center back & GW coaching legend George "2 foot tackle" Lidster still going strong at age 49. Bryan Namoff meanwhile is still cuckoo for cocoa puffs & Santino Quaranta lead the DCU delegation to Dundalk, MD today where he broke ground on the new Inner Harbor VWUnited Park @Looney's Pub Stadium...Hey Maryland Stadium Authority getting closer & I hear VW will have VW taxis' dropping off & picking up in Fells Point & Inner Harbor. My bet is that DCU doesn't score until #99 steps on the pitch as he is the only true threat and everyone else is injured... But maybe Cristman is the answer...
This franchise is sinking boys..... Chang needs investors & a President with some kind of plan.
Who's up for a road trip to Philly?

Posted by: Zipfutbol | February 17, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Hey Zipfutbol,

I must say you certainly are persistent for someone who knows they're wrong. Have you noticed that nobody else has come out saying things that you have? Could it be that you are going a little overboard and are wrong? If you are going to come and continue to troll this blog how about you just find another team to cheer for. Your obviously not any fan of this team.

Posted by: Unitedfury | February 17, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Dude, the last thread you posted your stupid rant wasn't enough ZipforBrains?

You didn't like my suggestion of you, me, and GeneWells hitching a ride in PowerBoater69's *THE* boat up to Philly for the match?

Posted by: DadRyan | February 17, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game. I know very little about soccer, but these were my observations:

The first half was a snoozer; the second half should have ended with Toronto up 3-0. They had several great chances with one shot ringing off the crossbar.

I thought Alsopp was nearly invisible in the first half; Cristman was much more involved in the second.

When Wallace came back on as a left back in the second half, he aided the offense coming forward, but left the defense very shaky. He also had a couple nervous defense moments.

Jaime looked quick. I didn't recognize Boyzzz for a long time. He looks so much shorter with all that hair cut off.

It was fun to hear all the on-field chatter, especially when the ref chided the players... "It's just pre-season."

All said, I wasn't discouraged by the lack of scoring. The team looked rusty because, after all, it's only pre-season, and they're missing quite a few guys still. I'm also surprised @TorontoFCasn didn't tweet about my rowdy 5 year old :)

Posted by: DaninFL | February 18, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

thanks for the input DaninFL. Hope it was fun for you.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 18, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse