D.C. United news & notes

As we anticipated, D.C. United has officially announced that Honduran defender Quiarol Arzu, Jamaican defender Jermaine Taylor and former Notre Dame goalkeeper Andrew Quinn will join the club on trial in Bradenton, Fla.

Taylor is scheduled to arrive Sunday. Arzu -- who plays centrally but is comfortable on the right side in a three-man backline -- comes Monday. Another trialist is in the mix: Arnolyn Guity, an 18-year-old Honduran forward for which there is little background information.

Andy Najar, a talented youth academy forward, has also accompanied the team to Florida, primarily for the experience.

United will begin its preseason match schedule Saturday at 4 p.m. against the Columbus Crew at IMG Academies in Bradenton. DCU will also play Toronto on Wednesday, New York next Saturday and both the USA under-17s and Florida Gulf Coast University on Feb. 26.

I am awaiting confirmation of a proposed preseason visit to Mexico that would include a friendly against Santos Laguna.

By Steve Goff  |  February 12, 2010; 1:15 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday kickaround
Next: Bradley, Hartman-Thornton, Red Bulls, Chastain

Comments

2 games on one day? stretch out well, boys, here come the hamstring injuries...

Posted by: troy6 | February 12, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Please don't Stoichkov any of the kids.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 12, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Oh c'mon I've played 2 games in the same day. OK so it was rec league...

But seriously, perhaps they would do split squads like baseball teams often do in spring training? It seems there are enough players in camp right now to do so.

Posted by: cmjhawk86 | February 12, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

A trip to Torreon for no good reason? Right now? Are they insane?

That's ground zero for some of the nastiest head-hewing and body-dumping on the planet these days.

Better pack the bullet-proof vests.

Posted by: StanShmenge | February 12, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Once we played a tournament game, then the director said we had to play another, so I got drunk. Then, seeing as how I was drunk, I ran into the goal post and I got a concussion. But just for a minute. I had some more beers at halftime, and went back in. But then I tore my own retinas gesticulating at the refs. Or the other team, I'm not sure. Then I was blind drunk. But I soldiered on until the whistle blew.

Kids today need to man up. Grow a neck. Quit yer whining, and get 'er done.

Not a bad post from a Braille computer, eh?

Posted by: OWNTF | February 12, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Did our Aussie finally get his visa?

Posted by: b18bolo | February 12, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

One time for our indoor team, I showed up to our game a little tipsy. Wasn't sure how I'd play and so as to not let my teammates down I kinda warmed up by myself so no one would notice.

Well, ended up scoring 2 goals in the game and afterward I came clean to my teammates, who as nice as they are, only encouraged me to show up for all of our games like that, if I was gonna put 2 in the back of the net each inebriated game.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 12, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Liquid Courage. That's what we used to call those forties we were drinking in the van at the skatepark...:)

Posted by: DadRyan | February 12, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Snow!

Posted by: Reignking | February 12, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful day in Wheaton, I scored two goals in the first 10 minutes...had another breakaway...and tore my hammy. Look like I got shot I fell so quickly. I went around the corner to the 7-11 for ice, and beer, and proceeded to watch the next game, too. Hammy sure felt better ;)

Posted by: Reignking | February 12, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

6 v 6 Drunken Indoor Soccer tournament at the soccerplex. Who's in?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 12, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Did our Aussie finally get his visa?

Posted by: b18bolo | February 12, 2010 2:11 PM |

From the Insider yesterday:
*Danny Allsopp, D.C. United's recently signed forward from Australia, has been approved for a visa and is scheduled to join the club Thursday at training camp in Bradenton, Fla.

Posted by: DrBeaker | February 12, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Najar got a camp invite? Very cool. Sure, he's incredibly young, but I don't think this is insignificant. Last year, Hamid got a camp invite. This year, he's gonna be on the roster. I'm sure Najar is more than a year away from holding a roster spot, but he's got some skills. Would love to see him in a DCU kit in a few years. Maybe Funes and Arjona, too. I think it would be cool to see the academies turn into reserve teams, like in the European model...but, I can see the downside to that, too.

Posted by: fischy | February 12, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

6 v 6 Drunken Indoor Soccer tournament at the soccerplex. Who's in?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 12, 2010 2:37 PM
=====================

I'll drink to that!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 12, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Looking at the latest update on the DCU site, I see one change that might be worth noting...or not. N'Galula has been listed on the roster as a midfielder, but today's BTB update lists him among defenders. Don't know if this reflects a change in how the team views him, or whether it holds any meaning at all.

Posted by: fischy | February 12, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I just saw this bit in Martin Rogers' latest column about the US MNT:

"Rumors are circulating in Italy that Gooch could be allowed to complete a short-term loan to an MLS club in order to get match-fit for the World Cup."

If it's a loan, does Gooch have to go through the allocation process? Makes sense for him to play for DC since he's local!!

Posted by: joe_hill | February 12, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Bored at home -- stomach virus. Did some research on Jermaine Taylor. He's got some history with DCU. He was with Harbour View in '05 and '08, so he's clashed with DCU 2x in CONCACAF home-away series. There's even a WaPo photo of the strapping defender being out-jumped for a header by (gasp!) Franco Niell. Hope that's an aberration, but he had his troubles with Niell. In the preceding match in Jamaica, Taylor somehow avoided getting a deserved red-card ejection when he pulled down Niell on a Gallardo pass over the back-line. Maybe his own goal header against England in the Three Lions last tune-up before the '06 World Cup was an aberration, too. You'd think a Jamaican national team defender ought to be good enough to get a spot on an MLS roster, but I'm not holding my breath. Given his struggles against United, it's kinda surprising they've brought him in, but maybe they saw more good than I remember seeing.

Posted by: fischy | February 12, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

No, really! Snow!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 12, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

270:

What we're going to need to really do this is a drunk referee to go with the drunk players. I'll call the MLS officiating pool.

fischy:

Harbour View's whole defensive unit was a mess at RFK. However, the guy is playing regularly for Jamaica, and he's only 25. It could be that this is a case of Onalfo having scouted him more recently than Kasper or Ashton has.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 12, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Well, now I know. I must have got this stomach bug from one of Fischy's posts.

Posted by: dccal | February 12, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

"Adam Cristman a hardworking athletic striker who will provide solid cover for us." What in gods name does that mean? Are Payne & Kasper so disinterested in what they are doing that they are now signing MLS bargain basement defensive front runners and trying to sell them as the future of the club??
Whatever happened to "A creative speedy striker w/the ability to score anytime he is within 25 yds. of goal" or "a cold blooded game changing sniper with proven professional experience..."
Payne & Kasper clearly have no plan and are totally reactive at this point...
I can't believe the DCU front office even pushes press releases out to the fan base regarding these pathetic signings.
On top of that with all the snow we move to IMG Camp because DCU has no proper training facilities and their outdoor RFK aux. fields are frozen solid - I'm sure the boys will be training in Ben Olsen's basement or at Bally's riding bikes and doing hot yoga!
Philly hasn't even played a match yet much less won 4 Cups and they have world class facilities while DCU wonders when they will become "Inner Harbor United"
Payne & Kasper MUST GO the club needs a Change in philosophy ASAP...Adam Cristman from the KC Wiz.. embarrassing

Posted by: Zipfutbol | February 12, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The sky is falling, etc.

Posted by: Unitedfury | February 12, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Dear Steven Goff,
Please get off your ___ and address this train wreck called DCU personnel moves. This is ridiculous and even you can see how inept Payne & Kasper are at this point. Jermain Taylor? Are you serious? A Jamaican defender...think about what we just said...thats like saying a US goal scorer for goodness sake.
DCU is in a holding pattern and simply looking to get by - the club's leadership is not at all focused on winning championships and if you disagree look at the offseason moves we have made. The stadium issue is clearly becoming a bigger and bigger deal and has now impacted the clubs ability to sign premier talent.
Steve you must rise-up and address this travesty and call out the DCU front office on this before we become The Tampa Bay Mutiny II....

Posted by: Zipfutbol | February 12, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Dear Zipfutbol,

Please shut your ___ and think about Steve's role as a reporter, not a columnist. Even if he were a columnist, why the ____ would he waste time on the _______ PRESEASON?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 12, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Ditto I-270 Exit 1

Posted by: Curious99 | February 12, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

43 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | February 12, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Dear Zipfutbol: Please STFU and go away. Come back when you have a clue.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | February 12, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Deep Breath everyone. And on my count of three, drink!
One.....Two........THREE!

Posted by: DadRyan | February 13, 2010 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Hey I-270Exit Clueless & Princebutthead00,

If either one of you had any clarity around where the club is going you wouldn't be on these pages cheering on the DCU front office like a couple meathead cows. Reporter / Columnist are you serious?
Maybe you and Princecharmingbuster can set up a training session with Adam Cristman & Andrew Quinn at the SoccerPlex and all have oranges together after practice...idiots

Posted by: Zipfutbol | February 13, 2010 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Zip it Zip.
You don't know sh!T.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 13, 2010 1:26 AM | Report abuse

Go change a diaper DadRyan & get the cones together for your U4 practice tomorrow with some Juice boxes and Rice Krispey treats you moron. Maybe Adam cristman will stop by and show you how to execute the "toe poke". Don't forget your Washingtton Dips jersey you Dip$h!t

Posted by: Zipfutbol | February 13, 2010 1:47 AM | Report abuse

Zipfutbol: Name-calling? Really? Here on SI? How old are you?

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | February 13, 2010 2:14 AM | Report abuse

Uh. That's gotta be a red card and a match ban.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 13, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

They're actually Rice Krispies not Rice Krispeys. Mick and Keith singin the virtues . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | February 13, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Someone needs a nap and possibly another beer too.

Posted by: Unitedfury | February 13, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse