D.C. United news & notes

*D.C. United defender Bryan Namoff (post-concussion) continues to undergo neck and spine treatment and is exercising lightly. He and the club are awaiting clearance from doctors before he can begin more rigorous workouts.

*Midfielder Danny Szetela (knee surgery) will reunite with the club after its return to Washington from Florida this weekend.

*United declined El Salvador's request to recall midfielder Christian Castillo for Wednesday's friendly against the United States in Tampa because of a minor knee ailment. However, he is likely to be cleared in time for the Salvadoran friendly next week against Guatemala in Los Angeles.

*Jamaican defender Jermaine Taylor, whose trial has been delayed by a groin injury, is still on United's radar, but the club will wait for his return to fitness before deciding whether to bring him in. Honduran defender Quiarol Arzu remains on trial, and although United officials have had preliminary discussions with Platense about a possible move, no formal negotiations have taken place. United is likely to make a decision next week about whether to seriously pursue him.

Keep reading.....

*Academy midfielder Andy Najar has played significant minutes in the three friendlies in Bradenton, but a move to the full-time roster seems premature. "We make a point to look closely at the better players in our academy," General Manager Dave Kasper said. "It has been a good experience for him and a good opportunity for us to evaluate him."

Najar, who is still in high school, received permission to accompany United to Florida and has been doing school work during his stay. He is not expected to travel with the club to Mexico late next week.

*As part of the club's broad search for players, technical director Chad Ashton will go on a scouting mission in Brazil next week, Kasper said.

By Steve Goff  |  February 23, 2010; 7:31 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gil to RSL, Lopez Out of KC, DCU-Freedom, Spector
Next: MLS closer to a strike?

Comments

Steve, here's your headline:

"Chad Hangs Out in Sao Paolo"

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 23, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Ashton out on a scouting mission?.... yikes.

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | February 23, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Ashton out on a scouting mission?.... yikes.

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | February 23, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, we need at least One Brazilian. :)

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 23, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else as excited as I am for the madness of thursday!!!

Posted by: SexyOffender | February 23, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Castillo played 52 minutes in the Red Bull scrimmage on 2/20.

Not that I'm complaining that he wasn't called in, but it'd be nice to see him play against other MLSers, maybe even opposite Party Boy.

Posted by: delantero | February 23, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Ashton go check out: Corinthians of Brazil, two players of interest there; Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos.....hehe

Posted by: RM27 | February 23, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Kornheiser suspended indefinitely. Boo hoo.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 23, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

AP is reporting that the union and MLS failed to meet today despite being scheduled to do so.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | February 23, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else as excited as I am for the madness of thursday!!!

Posted by: SexyOffender

American Idol kicks 4 people off?

Posted by: Reignking | February 23, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing that post refers to more snow. If not, I'm without a clue. Maybe it's all the Europa League games?

Posted by: fischy | February 23, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I am excited for Thursday. But only if you are referring to the fact that it is my last graduate class of the week and after happy hour ensues. Then I have to get up and grade undergraduate papers hung over on Friday.

I may have only seen him play once on ESPN Classic last year but Andy Najar excites me. I hope the kid continues to develop because he looked to have a real soccer brain and good skill. I am dreaming but I hope he continues to develop and gets signed in the summer.

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 23, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Thursday's trash day at work. I don't usually get excited about it but I'll try to get in the mood. Do recyclebles go that day?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | February 24, 2010 7:03 AM | Report abuse

I'm excited about USA v Twitzerland ice-soccer today!!!

VAMOS UNITED States!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | February 24, 2010 7:23 AM | Report abuse

How serious is jermaine's injury? is it just ill timing or is he playing coy about not wanting to be with united? the whole situation seems a bit odd...

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | February 24, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Thursday is the new deadline day for the CBA isn't it?

Also: What time is the USA Hockey game on tonight? I don't have ESPN Classic and my neighbor's who do may be more interested in watching the hockey than the soccer... Internet feeds here I come.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 24, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

dadryan - i think the USA hockey game is at 3:00. the canada - russia game is at 7:30.

Posted by: joe_hill | February 24, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Praise the Lord! and pass the dollars.
FO in the way to Brazil?
How about Argentina and the rest of Latin America too!
That is where we found Moreno, Etchevery, Gomez and the rest of our past glory.
Will Chang and Payne get the fans message?
Put up $$ for some talent at center midfield, perhaps striker and outside back too.
We are holding our breath.
There are always the Nationals to watch if they don't.

Posted by: lemovs1 | February 24, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse