D.C. United's Szetela out 6 weeks

D.C. United midfielder Danny Szetela underwent surgery Thursday night for damaged meniscus in his right knee and will be sidelined about six weeks, the MLS club announced. He was injured in practice Tuesday. If the timeline holds true, he would return to full-time training a week before the league opener at Kansas City.

By Steve Goff  |  February 5, 2010; 10:05 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV listings
Next: Friday kickaround

Comments

50 days until United's first match!

And who's the CM?

Posted by: Curious99 | February 5, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Get well soon, Danny.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | February 5, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Hope he works himself into shape in the meantime. There's a lot you can do without putting your weight down. You can loaf it or push yourself to the limit on the bikes. I was probably in my best shape near the end of my rehab. I'm sure he knows this, but given last year, it bears repeating.

Posted by: fischy | February 5, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Well, could have been worse. I hope those trips to South and Central America that Kasper and Onalfo keep taking are producing some results; we badly need central midfield help.

Posted by: jsm91 | February 5, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

This is one player who needs that six weeks of training. Aw well.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 5, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Yes, we need support in MF. Hopefully, there is at least one more signing in the next few weeks.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | February 5, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I hope Sztela can come back form this injury quickly and with out setback. He has yet to make a significant impact with the club.

Posted by: invncbl | February 5, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Being bike fit is not the same as game fit. This is a pretty big setback for him unfortunately.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | February 5, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Has Onalfo said anything about a central creative mid?

Seems to me some folks are expecting a formation that may not be forthcoming. A 4-4-2 with 2 holding mids and 2 wide mids in the "box" or "empty bucket" seems more likely.

Typical KC lineup under Onalfo last season:

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 5, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Whoops, sorry for the screw-up. The KC lineup I posted from last year (link above) was after Onalfo had been canned and Vermes was picking lineups.

Here's one from earlier in the season which indicates they lined up in a 4-1-3-2 with one d-mid and a center mid. But since the lineup had Jewsbury listed in that capacity I suspect he may have been more of a holding mid in the typical 4-4-2 box formation.

My main point is that I'm not too sure Onalfo and the DC braintrust are looking for a central creative mid for this year's United.

Enjoy the snow.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 5, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Forget South and Central America. Send out for some of that Bulgarian placenta for the training room.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 5, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse