Freddy Adu scores goal in Greece

Freddy Adu strikes late in the first half, a one-timer from six yards for the go-ahead goal in Aris' 2-1 victory over Ergotelis in a Greek league match. Adu started and played 62 minutes. As far as I can tell, he had not scored in official club competition since being with Benfica in 2007. American Eddie Johnson started and played 61 minutes the final 29 minutes. Watch and listen:

By Steve Goff  |  February 14, 2010; 1:19 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , Greece
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United opens preseason schedule
Next: Americans abroad

Comments

Nice composed finish.

BTW, Johnson played 61 minutes and had an assist on the first goal..

Posted by: ARickey | February 14, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Nice goal by Freddy.

I tried to understand the announcer, but it's all Gr-

Oh, forget it.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 14, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Eddie was taken out (not put in) with 29 minutes to go. He made the last pass on the 1st goal.

Posted by: olinto | February 14, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Good for him. Contrary to popular belief, we are all rooting for him. We're just not sure how good he actually is, or can potentially be.

Posted by: jack35 | February 14, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

what jack35 said.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 14, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I'll be legitimately upset if he's not invited to the March 3rd camp.
I figure Bob's had two chances now to see Cunningham/Findley/Casey. Adu at least deserves a chance.

Posted by: LovetheGoffer | February 14, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Except Bob has also had plenty of chances to see Freddy over the years. Plus Cunningham, Findley, and Casey all are forwards, while Adu is a ???, not sure where he would play, but it is not forward. Oh and all three have done more in the last year than Adu has ever done as a professional (not age restricted games).

Posted by: Dancy1 | February 14, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Both Adu and Eddie have a chance of making the plane, but they have to continue their solid play. Consistency has not been a hallmark of either player, but I think it is possible.

While I wouldn't want to rely unduly on either player, the other options (Findley, Cunningham, Rogers, recovering Davies) do not give me great confidence. Hopefully, they'll get a look against the Netherlands.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 14, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and don't ever tell me that Findley is our great hope, boy can't run and maintain possession at the same time. Major liability. Findley gets knocked off the ball almost as easily as Freddy.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 14, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Good for Freddy and EJ. Nice ball movement on that goal.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 14, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I would like to see Adu make Bradley's camp, and ditto for Chris Rolfe, who I think is very much underappreciated. That boy can snap off shots instantly from improbable angles. I hope he shines in Aalborg.

Posted by: b18bolo | February 14, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Where are the people that posted last week that Freddy should return to MLS?

I hope Freddy makes the March 3rd camp. This is only because we have numerous injuries, and our MLS based players didn't impress against Honduras. I am not saying Freddy makes the World Cup roster, just give him a chance in this friendly. This is the first time in two years Freddy has got consistent games.

Also, as much as it kills me, I would give Johnson a call up too. I am just not sold on Findley or Cunningham.

But good job to the yanks. Also, Holden made the bench today but didn't see the field. I am going to see the positive out of this. (First game he is fit he makes the bench.) If he keeps working I can see minutes for him in the future.

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 14, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

The only bad development of the weekend was that Bocanegra rode pine for 90 minutes yet again.

Posted by: BooThisMan | February 14, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Just noticed Torres scored in the 84th to put Pachuca up 4-3.

Posted by: BooThisMan | February 14, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Bradley now advises the rest of the MNT to get cornmeal abrasions.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 14, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like the PA announcer is leading the crowd in a "FREDDY!" "ADU!" chant after the goal. I can dig it.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | February 14, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

We all know how good Freddy is. Freddy is the next Pele.

Posted by: Ron16 | February 14, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Freddy is the next Pele?! How is that so??? As a United fan, I have seen this turd play and he will be the next nothing, nada, zilch, nil!!

As noted above, he has not scored in official club competition in 3 years!! To make matters worse, his goal was a result of poor defending. Check out the replay again. The defender was oblivious. He didn't even bother to look behind him. C'mon! This is the Greek league.

Posted by: zizou1972 | February 14, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I've got a spare sarcasm meter I'm selling on ebay if anyone is interested.

Posted by: PEddy | February 14, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I've got a spare sarcasm meter I'm selling on ebay if anyone is interested.

Posted by: PEddy | February 14, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

No you aren't. Lier.

Posted by: csd1 | February 14, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Freddy will only be as good as he can be when his mind is free of all of the stuff people around him have been saying. That's why going to a place where he is relatively under the radar and getting a chance to play is the best environment for him and would been so in 2004.

What plagued him at DCU was that so many people were telling him how great he was - not only his family, from whom you would expect that conduct, but from his agent, a family advisor who was regularly speaking to the media about Freddy's lack of paying time, and suits in the MLS office. The adviser, who denied Freddy a chance to play with the DCU youth team that competed in France's prestigious Dannon Cup in 1999, regularly pounded out the line that Freddy should be playing Christian Gomez's position and criticized Piotr publicly for not putting him on the field more. MLS did no one any favors, mostly none for the player himself, with the relentless hype program that they through him into.

Posted by: lgm6986 | February 15, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

I am a long-time Freddy booster, having seen his potential as a youth player back before he had achieved national notice. Time was (a few years ago) I thought he had a shot at this World Cup

But sad to say, Freddy in no way deserves a call-up to the MNT in prep for this World Cup. He needs to continue to work his way back into form by performing consistently for his new team. His more realistic goal might be to be in the crucial Gold Cup squad in 2011, which will play for a place in the Confed Cup 2013, and then WCQ in 2012 and beyond.

Posted by: DCUSince96 | February 15, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Great goal, hideous uniforms.

Posted by: IamAM | February 15, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey, in a few years, this Adu kid (is that is name? Why have I not heard much about him to this point?) might be pretty good. I think he's still young, right?

;)