Freedom, D.C. United doubleheader possible

In what would be the only joint appearance this season, D.C. United and the Washington Freedom are in discussions about a possible doubleheader May 1 at RFK Stadium, the Insider has learned. A decision is expected next week.

Last year, the MLS and WPS clubs played three doubleheaders at RFK. Financially, however, the arrangement was difficult for both sides and one date seemed to make more sense.

United will play the New York Red Bulls on May 1 at 4 p.m. On the WPS schedule unveiled Thursday, the Freedom is slated to play St. Louis Athletica at a Washington area venue to be determined. Each of the Freedom's other 11 home matches are set to be played at Maryland SoccerPlex in Montgomery County.

The Freedom's season opener is April 10 at home against the Boston Breakers.

By Steve Goff  |  February 18, 2010; 4:13 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Freedom , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bonuses at stake for World Cup players
Next: Video: Spectacular goal in Portugal

Comments

Likes:
- Four matches against nearest rival, Philadelphia Independence, with both road matches on weekends.
- Possibility for two doubleheaders with the Freedom's elite W-League team (June 12 and July 10).

Dislikes:
- As with last year, only three matches against Jersey Sky Blue, and the one road match is again on a Wednesday night.
- Unbalanced schedule: six of the first nine games are at home, followed by nine out of fifteen games on the road.

The press release also hints at some "international and friendly games in the works."

The Freedom-specific schedule is online here:

Posted by: kevinwparker | February 18, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

United and the Freedom would benefit greatly by allowing people to leave the stadium between matches I think. A great deal wouldn't bother, but you really might get a lot more folks checking out the Freedom match if they allowed it. I know people seem to think there is a problem with the logistics, but I swear I remember being able to get some sort of handstamp back in the early 80's at Anaheim Stadium. My dad used to have Angels and Rams tickets and maybe I'm crazy, but I swear there was some instance of needing to go back out to the car for something and they gave us a stamp. something with black lights? It couldn't be so difficult that it wouldn't be worth it in my opinion.
Special wristbands like the ones they use in beer gardens?
I don't know. I'd consider watching the first match if I could go back outside and drink some more cold beer.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 18, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Dad's right, 5 straight hours inside the stadium is more than I can handle. It's too much cash. Unless they drop the price of the beer...

Posted by: JkR- | February 18, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Sheesh, remember what happened the last time they dropped the price of the beer inside? No thanks. I ended buying full price beers from smug beer men at the Open Cup final and I'm still chafed over that one.

Have a couple gate lines, or a whole gate for that matter dedicated to verifying people coming back in from outside. If the lines are slow let freshly ticketed folks use the same lines. Seems as easy as giving the public plenty of fair warning that they'll need a ticket stub and their bracelet/stamp to get back in. If you lose it. You're SOL.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 18, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

37 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | February 18, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. In and out would make a world of a difference to the experience. Otherwise, it's so long that it almost becomes unenjoyable. It also kills tailgating.

Posted by: Curious99 | February 18, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Stop SIC Now (previous thread), The Freedom play the Philadelphia Independence, then the Philadelphia Independance, then the Philadelphia Independence again, and then just Philadelphia. How many WPS teams does that city have?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 18, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curious99 | February 18, 2010 7:09 PM |
-------------

You know In-and-Out isn't all that great of a fast food place. Never understood all the hype here in California about it. Their fries flat out stink. And their "secret" menu isn't too neato either.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 18, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Last year my family had season tickets to both the Freedom and DCU. My wife and daughter would go to the Freedom half of the double and then leave. I would watch both games. However, I'm nuts. 5 hours in RFK is tough, especially since the Freedom games began in the afternoon heat. I think doubleheaders are an idea that seem to make sense, until you actually try to accomplish the feat.

Posted by: griffin1108 | February 19, 2010 1:04 AM | Report abuse