Friday kickaround

*With Chelsea left back Ashley Cole sidelined for the rest of the Premier League season and his World Cup in jeopardy, England turns its attention to Wayne Bridge, who was at the center of the John Terry controversy.

*Foot-in-mouth Sepp Blatter strikes again.

*Togo plots protest against African Cup ban.

*Freddy Adu says he suffered a corneal abrasion (aka scratched eye) and did not practice today ahead of Aris' Greek league match Sunday against Ergotelis.

*In need of defensive reinforcement, the Colorado Rapids signed Danny Earls, 20, a former Aston Villa prospect who played for second-division Rochester last year, and Oscar Murillo, 21, who has played in Argentina and Colombia. Earls, a left back, will replace Jordan Harvey, who was lost in the expansion draft, while Murillo will help fill the central void left by Cory Gibbs, who was traded to New England.

*Americans abroad:
MF Michael Bradley and Moenchengladbach vs. Nuremberg
F Matt Taylor and FSV Frankfurt at St. Pauli

By Steve Goff  |  February 12, 2010; 10:14 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Americans Abroad , England , FIFA , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS labor update
Next: D.C. United news & notes

Comments

Would Bridge get carded for a two-footed tackle on his own teammate?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 12, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Blatter should just not be commenting on the personal lives of footballers.

In fact, he should apply the rule I learned in bartender training: the three forbidden topics that you should never bring up are politics, religion, and someone's significant other.

"John Terry and Wayne Bridge? Oh, that's a difficult situation." End of answer. Latins, Anglo-Saxons? Jeez, leave it alone, Blatts.

Posted by: Modibo | February 12, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Relying on two young guys on defense? Good luck with that.

Posted by: Reignking | February 12, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

In the span of 90 minutes, LD made me believe in our WC chances again. Any way we can get him to take out Rooney with a monkey wrench to the knee?

Posted by: Logan_Circle | February 12, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

It's disgusting to suggest, even jokingly, that one country's players should injure their rivals before the World Cup. The only classy thing to do here is acknowledge that every player risks his professional success and personal dreams in every game and practice (and sometimes off the field). The English media have been truthful and respectful about Donovan's accidental role in Cole's injury, and we should do the same.

I wish Ashley Cole and Charlie Davies and all the others make a full and fast recovery.

Posted by: hungrypug | February 12, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I just had an aneurysm abrasion from that terrible excuse, unless his corneal abrasion was him finally seeing his true career as a second rate footballer. Sorry to any of you believers, but he needs some of Messi's steroids.

Posted by: SexyOffender | February 12, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Bridge and Terry at each other, Ferdinand the captain?

I'm liking this England defense.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 12, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Put yourself in an Englishman's shoes, if he had cheered that Onyewu was injured, and how disgusted you would be.

I would use Davies as an example, but Onyewu's injury was caused on the pitch.

Posted by: Reignking | February 12, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Logan_Circle | February 12, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Good links logan... geez, people.

Posted by: TwoIsle | February 12, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Without spending an hour looking it up on the internet, I'll say that this stuff happens every four years, when players who will face each other in the WC also face each other in league or cup competitions. It just happens that this is the first time we've noticed it because (1) we have enough players in Euroleagues to make it probable and (2) an injury happened.

I wonder why Sepp neglected Mitterrand, Berlusconi, polygamous Arab and African heads of state, and fringe Mormon communities. That's the real injustice :-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 12, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I don't want to be as self-righteous as hungrypug, but I do agree with him/her. It's too bad Cole got hurt, and it's unfortunate LD was involved. I'd much rather have all our troops be at full strength and all of theirs the same.

Posted by: WorldCup | February 12, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

@Logan Circle: It would be fruitless for Landon to ask for a monkey wrench at an English hardware store, as they call it an adjustable spanner.

@Reignking: By not releasing the accident report, the Park Police is covering up the fact that an agent of a foreign FA was driving the car in Davies' accident.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 12, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Sepp Blatter's comments look perfectly reasonable compared to a couple of the early comments in this thread.

Adu's got a corneal abrasion? Can be very painful and debilitating. As we saw with Jay DeMerit, when his condition deteriorated so badly that he needed a corneal transplant surgery, it's nothing to dismiss lightly. I know this from personal experience, as my own surgery was called off when I was being prepped, because it finally showed some healing.

Posted by: fischy | February 12, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Did someone say Monkeywrench?

beware a swear word in the beginning of the song.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 12, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Would Bridge get carded for a two-footed tackle on his own teammate? Posted by: I-270Exit1

Probably, but I certainly wouldn't bregrudge him for it.

My guess is that they won't be roommates in SA, and the tension would have to be the roof.

Good thing the English tabloids will leave it alone and not rehash it all in June!

Posted by: delantero | February 12, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rhio | February 12, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I'll see DadRyan's monkey wrench and raise him a monkey wrench:

Posted by: dccal | February 12, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I got a corneal abrasion one day long ago while I was throwing pizzas in Seattle pizza shop. Horsing around, while getting ready for the lunch rush my partner and I were spinning doughs closer and closer to each other's heads, when an rogue flour covered dough hit me in the right eye. Contact lens knocked out. Even after flushing it out, I couldn't put the lens back in and the pain stinging pain was pretty unbearable. We were in the ground floor of a downtown medical office building, and knew an eye doc who took a look at me. He prescribed ibuprofen and sleep. The pain and discomfort was a drag, couldn't finish the work day as I couldn't see. So I went home and drank till I passed out. When I woke up the next day my eyeball felt fine, and was pretty much back to normal after 24 hours.

Eyes heal pretty fast if the damage is superficial, or minor. Try sticking a needle in your eyeball sometime, you'll be surprised how quickly you'll be back to normal...;)

Posted by: DadRyan | February 12, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

haha dccal... Considering cheaters are in the thread topic, I guess Dave Grohl fits right in... :)

Posted by: DadRyan | February 12, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Did you get cornmeal in your corneal abrasion?

I keep reading "corneal" as "cornmeal".

Posted by: Reignking | February 12, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I'd say I'm lucky we weren't using the semolina, I might not have recovered as quickly.;)

Posted by: DadRyan | February 12, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Blatter's an idiot and if he were at the USSF under USA PC rules, he'd be forced out.

What's intriguing is that had the revelations of Harkes and Amy Wynalda come out as immediately as the Terry ones have, would Johnny Boy have gotten all his broadcast gigs? Of course, he likely would have been hired at double pay by the World-Wide Leader since that sort of behavior fits right in with their culture.

Posted by: lgm6986 | February 12, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Many Soccer Insiders appear to treat their injuries, be they concussions or cornmeal abrasions, with alcohol, and they always seem to turn out fine.

I'll try this for my cirrhosis.

Posted by: WorldCup | February 12, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey, add a little water, sugar and yeast to that cornmeal, and we'll have a new cocktail. Let's call it the Cornmeal Abrasion. Or we could just stick with moonshine.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 12, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I'll drink to that.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 12, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Let's call it the Cornmeal Abrasion. Or we could just stick with moonshine.
Posted by: OWNTF
=============

Polenta Abrasion for the eurosnobs.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 12, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Cheers. Slainte. Salud. A votre sante. Salute. Prost. Skal. Na zdrowie. L'Chaim.

Posted by: fischy | February 12, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Reminds me of a Bob Marley song

Then we would cook corneal porridge
Of which I'll share with you
My feet is my only carriage
So I've got to push on through

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 12, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan:

"So I went home and drank till I passed out."

The best way to solve most injuries, as far as I can tell. My shoulder has been hurting after all this shoveling and a tough workout last night, so I figure I need a few beers and a night sleeping on the couch (if you make it to bed, it's not really passing out...unless it's someone else's bed).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 12, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

RT @Rhio: So,how many more English players can Landon Donovan wipe out before the June 12 game in South Africa?

Posted by: jayrockers | February 12, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse