Gil update, Fire moves, DCU news

The latest on the Kansas City Wizards winning the Luis Gil sweepstakes, as we told you exclusively earlier today. Despite Gil's desire to play out West -- which we assume was stipulated in the agreement to sign with MLS instead of opting for a European academy -- Wizards executive Robb Heineman said:

"We would like to have a conversation with Gil, his family and representation to see if he is interested in coming to Kansas City. As a 16-year-old from the West Coast, we understand the special considerations in his contract with MLS and his initial desire to play closer to home with either Seattle Sounders FC or Real Salt Lake. Having said that, we have a world-class stadium project underway and innovative ownership. [Coach] Peter Vermes has spoken with Gil's agent already today, and we are hopeful that he will be able to get to know our staff and our team. If Luis decides he would still like to stay out west, we will aggressively seek a trade with Seattle or RSL, but we would love the opportunity to have a conversation with him first."

It's quite common for players to dictate where they will play. This winter, goalkeeper Troy Perkins agreed to re-sign with MLS under the condition that he end up with D.C. United or Philadelphia Union. Philly had first crack at him through the allocation process and seriously considered retaining him before reaching a last-minute deal with DCU.

*The Chicago Fire has waived defenders Austin Washington (nine league games in two seasons) and Daniel Woolard (16 games, six starts in three years).

*Jamaican defender Jermaine Taylor has not arrived at United training camp to begin a trial because of an injury, General Manager Dave Kasper said. I'm awaiting additional details.

*United's only doubleheader with the Washington Freedom (May 1 at RFK Stadium) is just about set: DCU will play the New York Red Bulls in the first game (4 p.m.) to fill a TV slot, followed by the WPS match involving the Freedom and St. Louis Athletica.

By Steve Goff  |  February 22, 2010; 5:05 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Luis Gil to Wizards ... for the moment
Next: Tuesday kickaround

Comments

Nice negotiating, Heineman. I suppose they will have to find the middle ground (sound familiar?).

Posted by: Reignking | February 22, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I think the arrangement for the double-header will probably benefit the Freedom in terms of attendance. I know that last year I would not have minded seeing them play, but since the double-headers were always before the United game, I was tied up at the tailgate. I'll be more inclined to stick around after the United game for at least a bit to see my first WPS game.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | February 22, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Are Chicago's castoffs better than some guys on our roster? I know Woolard has played a fair amount (did he score at the 'plex in the Open Cup game where Blanco got redcarded?) for a guy getting canned.

What kind of compensation does a team owe for picking up a waived player while the Collective Bargaining Agreement is in suspended animation?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 22, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

RSL would be a great fit for him, if you ask me. Jason Kreis seems a great coach, and they have players in front and around him that would help him grow and mean they don't have to depend on him.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 22, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VercengetorixII | February 22, 2010 5:37 PM
_________________________________________

I hope you aren't disappointed. I went to Freedom games at both RFK and the 'Plex last year, and I enjoyed the latter a lot more. It may have been the more intimate environment in general, but it may have been specifically that the craft brews were reasonably priced (five or six clams) and quite accessible at the beer garden.

Posted by: universityandpark | February 22, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Joel_M_Lane:

He did indeed score the opening goal of that game.

I wouldn't mind bringing him in, but with Wallace and Burch already on the team and Adams getting looked at there in preseason, I don't know if Onalfo would be that interested. Still, I think Woolard is a good player. This seems more a consequence of De Los Cobos potentially moving to a 352 than anything Woolard did wrong.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 22, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Highlights from today's MNF match in Spain:

Villa's 2nd goal was fantastic (as was the pass); after that, a completely phantom call for a 2nd yellow. Just a terrible dive, and the linesman should've been right there. Valencia 2-1 Getafe

Posted by: Reignking | February 22, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Agree with universityandpark. I went to Freedom and DCU games at both RFK and the soccerplex. Freedom is more fun to watch at the plex. Only wish they'd expand the beer garden to allow for sitting on the little hill behind the goal.

Posted by: DCB23 | February 22, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

@DCB23 -- Agreed. The beers aren't that enticing when you can only drink them in the tiny space in the beer garden -- which means during halftime, unless you're willing to miss the game. I love the Plex for DCU games -- wish the beer was more accessible and wish more fans would come out to make a lot more noise. You're a lot closer to the field than at RFK....

Posted by: fischy | February 22, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

You're a lot closer to the field than at RFK....

Posted by: fischy |

You would love Blackbaud down in Charleston if you've never been. The Battery has a sweet thing going on down there. Not to mention the Three Lions Pub is worth visiting the stadium for alone.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 22, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Also noticed this story on the NFL News Feed, and in conjunction with folks saying Kraft has gotta go, I'm curious about this so called Duraspine Pro...

Posted by: DadRyan | February 22, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

The Plex is more fun in general for either team because it's so much more intimate. Downside is no tailgate.

Having United play before the Freedom is a big thing for me -- tailgate first. But I'll have to work hard to downshift mentally when going from United to the Freedom due to the change in the speed of play.

Posted by: Curious99 | February 22, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I know it's late, but is anyone else out there aware of the presale of tix for the US/Turkey match tomorrow morning? I tried seeing if the SE's or the Barra have already started talking about road trips and I see no sign on BS or their websites. I was very happy getting tickets through the SE's for the CR/US match and would rather get in with them than just winging it.

I'm just guessing everyone is as surprised as I am about a presale going on this quickly after the game being announced.Also positive that US soccer has to have their ideas about where they want to seat their big support groups.
I've never been to the Linc, and wonder if anyone can shed any light on sight lines, where Organized supporters groups may be seated, etc.?
Thanks.
I'd love to avoid Ticketmaster charges buying through a local group, but at the same time, I might just want to get some tickets while the pickin's are good.
Guessing that if MLS starts on time, there could be a pretty huge crowd for the Nats send off up in Philly, no?

Posted by: DadRyan | February 22, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

@Dad -- I hadn't heard about the presale. I know Sam's Army is taking orders -- their seat section are yet to be determined but will be along the end line. I love to take the train to the game with the Army, but I prefer better seats for the money the trip usually costs. If anyone knows of supporter groups that will be getting seats along the sidelines, please post the info....

Posted by: fischy | February 22, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I hear all that fischy, thanks. I checked out the AO site, and while it's sorta tempting, I'm kind of leaning toward better seats especially in such a flat stadium designed for people who are sitting... I echo the request for any other groups who are planning to give us a heads up.

On a positive note, a friend who's first soccer game period was the Costa Rica/US match in October was the one who alerted me to the presale... I just told him about these fixtures on Friday! Dude is hooked to say the least...:)

Posted by: DadRyan | February 22, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse