Kocic waived by D.C. United

Goalkeeper Milos Kocic, a 2009 second-round draft pick who started three league matches in his rookie season, was waived by D.C. United on Thursday. The former Loyola (Md.) star also played in five U.S. Open Cup and three Champions League games last year.

My take? Club officials weren't convinced that Kocic would ever develop into a starter or solid back-up in MLS. Meantime, they have grown increasingly confident that Bill Hamid, a late-season signing last year from United's youth academy, is capable of backing up No. 1 keeper Troy Perkins while Josh Wicks recovers from a shoulder injury.

Nonetheless, Ray Burse, who started 16 times for Dallas last season, has been invited to training camp. Andrew Quinn, a DeMatha High grad who played at Notre Dame and trialed at Glasgow Rangers this winter, is also in camp.

Arnolyn Guity, an 18-year-old Honduran forward, has been released after a week with the club.

By Steve Goff  |  February 18, 2010; 7:15 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Spectacular goal in Portugal
Next: Weekend TV listings

Comments

Hope the kid finds a place to land...not gonna lose any sleep over it though.

Posted by: PEddy | February 18, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Best to you Milos...but I'll sleep well too.

Posted by: DCB23 | February 18, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

i am suprised that the let milos go. I really think that Wicks should be gone, and that kosic could develop but i feel good that we have Perkins back and that Hamid has impressed the coaches. I like Quinn's background as well. Plus Hartman is still floating out there. There must be something that Onalfo knows about him, and that is why he was not picked up or traded for before we got perkins.

Posted by: jjfooty | February 18, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Likewise surprised they dumped Kocic and kept Wicks, but this makes me just the slightest bit optimistic that maybe there's some talent among the foreign trialists and we just didn't need to use an international slot on a keeper.

But I've been fooled by hype before (i.e. Hamburgeeza the technically superior Anderlecht product).

Posted by: benonthehill | February 18, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Wicks is an absolute liability! just ask Burch.

Posted by: pmk000 | February 18, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

if the ball was on the ground he and not sitting still he scared the heck out of me. Also the international thing proved he was a waste.
I think we are set with 3 keepers. Unless the roster size goes up.

Posted by: SexyOffender | February 18, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

I hear the Greek league needs some keepers....

Posted by: nairbsod | February 18, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Apparently the verdict is Not Guity.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 18, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

You could see this coming since the Cristman trade... we need that international slot, plus we have Hamid, and Milos just wasn't that good... he punts were God-awful at times last season. I feel very confident in our GK corps with Troy, Wicks, and Hamid... I like what Quinn offers as well, and we'll see what Burse can do to shake things up a bit.

Posted by: BurchFan4 | February 18, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

when I have seen Burse he looked pretty good to me. For sure better than Wicks. I would expect him to go next. Is there something about not being able to waive him while he is injured or something?

Posted by: fedssocr | February 18, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Hartmann for backup!

Posted by: Reignking | February 18, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Query: how much better would we have been in 2008, 2009 if we had Perkins?

Posted by: carmines757 | February 18, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I recall when United drafted Kocic last year, Kaspar/Payne/Soehn (can't remember who) said they rated him almost even with Frei, whom they passed on drafting. It worked out for us because we got Pontius with our second 1st-round pick. Can't be too much of a glutton. However, 12 months later, there seems to have been a massive error in that GK scouting report.

(Disclaimer: I acknowledge there's a lot that can be learned from having someone in training every day...)

If Lyle Adams makes the roster, we can reclaim last year's 2nd round!

Posted by: DWE4 | February 18, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm suprised no one has said anything yet about Donovan getting Evertons player of the month today.

Posted by: spikeman | February 18, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

just a flat out waive? does the team retain rights, or is Milos a MLS free agent now? I guess it says something that no one else wanted to give up anything at all for him, let's hope we put that international spot to good use. frankly, using an international spot for a back up keeper when you a: have your number one set (Perkins) and b: have what you hope is your future locked in (Hamid) makes no sense.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | February 18, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

CArmines: we make the playoffs both years. in 2008, as you'll recall, we were one goal out on GD, and last year a point out. Perkins in form clears both those.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | February 18, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

i agree we prob make playoffs both years with troy. it makes sense to waive milos since he was taking up an international slot, i did not know he was taking one up. I bet milos ends up with CP Baltimore.

Posted by: jjfooty | February 18, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the heads up spikeman.
This weekend's match is gonna be outrageous.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 18, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Team before individuals in this decision.

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | February 18, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

The one thing that sticks out in my mind about Kocic is a comment he made after a game early last year (I believe it was NE). He said he was distracted by the crowd, and that is why he let in the goal- he couldn't communicate well enough with the back line.

Well, Milos, every other MLS keeper outside Toronto and Seattle would kill to have that crowd support. Consider yourself blessed. Also, don't ever play in any other league anywhere, because it will be louder, I guarantee it. Try plying your trade in USL, it's pretty serene everywhere not named Portland.

Posted by: kdiff813 | February 18, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Wicks has problems, but Kocic was never going to be a worthy keeper. Simply mediocre. Besides, Wicks rapidly improved when he had to compete with other keepers for a spot, this is a good way to force him to get a grip and improve on his game. He really wasn't a bad keeper last season, just doesn't have the temperament to be a starter at the moment.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 18, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, too busy with other things to register an inteliigent comment. Such are the hazards of having a life.

Posted by: KireDCU | February 18, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

joshuaostevens:

Flip those seasons around. This past year, there was a 3 way tie for 8th place. RSL took the playoff spot on head-to-head play amongst Dallas and United.

***

I've been pretty up front about seeing Kocic as a liability. He seems like a good guy with the right attitude, but his decision-making and stone hands were big problems. Wicks has plenty of issues, too, but he's slightly better, isn't an international, and is only 2 years older.

Frankly, I'm more excited about Burse being in camp than either of those guys. I am still floored that Dallas never gave him the job over MLS's worst starting keeper (Dario Sala); the fact that they let him go is mind-boggling.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 19, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

I'm with Chest in seeing little potential from Kocic. He didn't look good, and his stats confirmed it. Gave up a goal basically every other shot on goal. Contrast that with Wicks and Cronin, who each saved 3 out of every 4 shots. It's a big difference. Kocic was giving up over a goal more per game. I wish him well, but he needs a lot of work before he can cut it even at this level.

I actually think Wicks was pretty good, even if he seemed a bit flat-footed on occasion. I wouldn't count on Burse holding down the back-up job when Wicks comes back. I've only seen him a couple of times, but I wasn't overly impressed. On the flip side, if Burse is any good, maybe DCU could get something in return for Wicks.

I expect really good things from Hamid. I just hope there's room for him to grow at DCU.

On Frei -- I believe the reports were that the soccer brain-trust wanted Frei, but Victor McF stepped in and and insisted they take the local boy, Wallace. Oh well. Water over the dam.

Posted by: fischy | February 19, 2010 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Pick-up Burse. Once Wicks is healthy and able to be released - let him go. Burse will be a better backup. Or maybe DC takes the young gun approach and makes Hamid 2nd string GK and picks up Quinn as number 3?

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | February 19, 2010 5:44 AM | Report abuse

First, for those that are saying "why didn't we cut Wicks?"--I was under the impression we couldn't. At least three times DCU has had players suffer injuries that--if they happen during the season--you can't release them. The ones that come to mind were: Ivan McKinley, Mike Amman, and ATConteh. In each case, an injury during the season and with the club meant we had to carry them until they got healthy. Now, maybe there's been a change in policy. But if not, we are required to keep Wicks until he heals.

Second, I'm excited about Burse. Not b/c he's a great GK. But b/c he's got all the physical tools you'd want--just a tremendous athlete. Which means his weakness MAY be fixable with coaching, maturity and experience (b/c those address: consistency, positioning, decision-making and technique). We may be cutting him in the offseason. Or we may be deciding that he's worth investing in--a cheap, young, American with MLS experience who can only get better.

Third, I'm a bit surprised that Hamid is seeing minutes (even just preseason) so soon. It's certainly putting him under a bit of pressure (training with the first team). He must have really impressed.

Fourth, Frei is a good GK. But he's not that good (to me anyway). The booming punts are eye-catching. But I don't think he'll be in MLS long and will soon have Swiss NT commitments. I'm not wild about burning an international spot on a GK when there is so much American and Canadian talent at that position.

Posted by: JoeW1 | February 19, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

I understand Arsenal may be in the market for a 'keeper.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | February 19, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

No shocker here, I don't think. When Quinn was brought in, I posted that it was possible that Kocic was the guy on the bubble. He was overly confident in his abilities...and yeah, that crack about not being able to communicate well because the crowd was too loud has stuck in my craw for the past 8 months. I wish him the best, but I'm glad it's not with DCU.

Posted by: DrBeaker | February 19, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Yet another draft pick wasted. Glad we have Troy back.

Posted by: tundey | February 19, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Decision making makes or breaks the cookie jar. That applies to the front office and moreso, to the players on the pitch. Go United.

Posted by: juke2 | February 19, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

It's not a wasted pick man. Just as you never could have predicted Wallace and Pontius to have such an immediate impact, you can't expect your 2nd round pick (and a keeper at that) to even get a sniff at the first team unless you are VERY lucky. Not a whole lot of guys coming straight out of college ready for the rigors of a full pro season. Last years draft was a smashing success getting two starters, and one who's in camp with the Nats. Having to slough off Kocic is just part of the business. He had plenty of opportunity to prove he was anything but expendable.
Aloha Milo.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 19, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Well in JoelMLane

B&RRD that's mighty cold!

Maybe Coach Sampson can fashion a silk Burse . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | February 19, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | February 19, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

-----------------------------

And don't forget that Barklage was picked up in the third round last year...while the jury's out on him since he's only had a couple of appearances, he's looking like a keeper so far.

Posted by: combedge | February 19, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

is landon wearing a portland timbers shirt while accepting that award from everton?? weird

Posted by: joe_hill | February 19, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

What ever happened to "we rate him about the same as Stephen Frei"? That was a little more than a year ago. I know that we got Pontius and Wallace in that same draft, but the fact that their assessment missed the mark THAT badly worries me a bit.

Posted by: jsm91 | February 19, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Noticed that joe_hill. Looks like an Element(skateboard/snowboard) company...

Posted by: DadRyan | February 19, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

DC United does not know how to evaluate talent. Who knows what Kocic's real value is. I say DC's problems last few years stem from a crappy defense. And that problem has not changed this season. I suspect that Perkins will have similar or slightly worse results to what he had his last year here before he left DC.

Posted by: alan19 | February 19, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joe_hill | February 19, 2010 10:14 AM
------------------------------------------------------

Maybe, he's signaling he's been having an affair with the absolutely stunning wife of former youth national teammate Steve Cronin?

Posted by: fischy | February 19, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: combedge | February 19, 2010 10:06 AM

----------------------------

No, he looks like a midfielder to me. AAHHAHAHAHAH!!!

Sorry.