Chalupny out, Algarve roster, MLS-DCU updates

*Lori Chalupny, the U.S. women's national team captain who plays for St. Louis in WPS, has taken an indefinite leave from the sport to address issues related to a concussion. She will miss the U.S. team's trip to the Algarve Cup in Portugal and expected to sit out the start of Athletica training camp, which begins in early March.

"I need to go through this process now to insure my health for the future," said Chalupny, who has 92 caps and eight goals for the USA.

Concussions and head injuries continue to be a problem in soccer. Just ask Alecko Eskandarian, Taylor Twellman, Josh Gros and Bryan Namoff.

Meantime, USA Coach Pia Sundhage has named a 19-player roster for the Algarve Cup.

*The weather forced postponement of the scheduled meetings between the MLS players' union and the league in Washington concerning the collective bargaining agreement. The revised deadline is Friday, but because of the delays this week, don't be surprised if it is extended again.

D.C. United and Red Bulls news.....

*Danny Allsopp, D.C. United's recently signed forward from Australia, has been approved for a visa and is scheduled to join the club Thursday at training camp in Bradenton, Fla.

*The New York Red Bulls continued to add to their European flavor by hiring Goran Aral as an assistant coach. He most recently was sporting director for Swedish club Djurgardens.

By Steve Goff  |  February 11, 2010; 4:14 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend Soccer TV Listings
Next: MLS labor update

Comments

So we go another week - what's the chance of reaching labor peace next Friday?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | February 11, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 9Nine9 | February 11, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Sad news about Chalupny, she's a very tough customer and hard-working player. I hope she gets through this, we don't need another player retiring due to concussions.

Posted by: griffin1108 | February 11, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Goff, I hope this isn't too late but when you and Mr. Fenty are on the set of WaPo Live today could you please, please pull up that pesky quote of his about making it his goal to have DCU playing at Poplar Point?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 11, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

How come 3 of those 4 players with concussions are current or previous United players?

Posted by: SexyOffender | February 11, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Those head injuries really creep me out. It's serious stuff.

Anyone know how professional soccer injuries compare to NFL injuries? I don't follow the sport so I don't really know, but it seems American Football would be way more dangerous. Each football team has so many players, it's easy to lose track.

Note that this isn't a cheapshot at American Football; I'm just curious.

Posted by: WorldCup | February 11, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

shame about rapinoe too. hope she gets well soon. man i am bummed about missing the tourny this year.

brackets screwed up again too, with 3 of world's 4 best on one side and germany with a cakewalk on the other.

Posted by: troy6 | February 11, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SexyOffender
==========

And Twellman went to Maryland.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 11, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

This really irks me every time I read a WNT roster.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 11, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SexyOffender
==========

And Twellman went to Maryland.
=====

So, he has head issues for a long time?

----
1-3 inches of snow in Atlanta tomorrow. Bread milk TP!!!

Posted by: Reignking | February 11, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

"The NFL estimates that there's one concussion every other game, or between 100-150 players each season." From an article linking concussions to alzheimers and noting that the NFL has swept the issue under the rug for decades; only recently seeming to take the issue seriously.

Posted by: hacksaw | February 11, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Goff, I hope you didn't have to make a special trip and brave the roads for that silliness. Not sure what you were doing there, but I bet you're wondering the same thing. I do feel kinda cheated because it sounded as if they were going to come back to you to talk about United. Please don't take this personally, but if I'd known, I'd have found something else to do for that half-hour.

Posted by: fischy | February 11, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

"I took a shot to the head once in a game...knocked out cold. I sat out a couple of mins, drank a beer or two and went back in. Posted by: 9Nine9"

Uh, lesson in what not to do. Unless you want Alzheimer's, concentration issues, chronic headaches.

One to Two months off, minimum, and if symptom free, you get to play again.

Posted by: delantero | February 11, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I hope that Chalupny's time off is successful. Roster looks good though. Too bad we won't have troy6 giving us updates from the Algarve Cup.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 11, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and CAP SYDNEY LEROUX!!!!!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 11, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, hacksaw. That's sad. At least the money for players in the NFL is good. I wouldn't trade all the money in the world for Alzheimer's, though.

Posted by: WorldCup | February 11, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

@fischy, what happened on WAPOLIVE? I got so wrapped up finally digging out the family truckster and missed it! Is it really not worth checking out if I happen to be up late enough for the replay?

Posted by: DadRyan | February 11, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of NY, my sources tell me that Raul, the perennial Real Madrid striker has agreed with his team to move to the Red Bulls. Will he play from the start of MLS season or stay with the "Galacticos" till the end of the Liga in May?

Posted by: santi1 | February 11, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

We focus on the players we know (thus: Eskandarian, Gros and Namoff). Ross Paule is the poster child for post-concussion syndrome. There are a bunch of players who've had issues with concussions, not just DCU players. It goes back all the way to Alan Mayer of the NASL (I believe he had 7 just while playing professional soccer, who knows what happened prior to turning pro).

Posted by: JoeW1 | February 11, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

I generally subscribe to the treatment method proscribed by 9nine9 for most sporting injuries, but not when it comes to concussions.

Posted by: alecw81 | February 11, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

I apologize. I missed the first half-hour, with the soccer segment. First time through, I only saw Goff sitting quietly while the other panelists got very animated about college hoops. Goffer did a nice job on DCU and the USMNT-- tamping down expectations.. Nothing we haven't already read here, but good for those who don't.

Posted by: fischy | February 11, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

@santi1 -- Go ask your 'sources'. It wasn't very helpful of them to leave out this crucial detail about timing. Interesting how it conflicts with the responses given by Raul's agent. Not to mention the fact that the Red Bulls' GM has also said there won't be a new DP until after the Cup. Things can change, of course...so, contact your mighty "sources".

Posted by: fischy | February 12, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Caught Goff later and thought he did a great job. I think Carter leaves a lot to be desired, but I guess he's trying. He needs to come out to some more United matches this summer.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 12, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

It's nitpicky, Herr Goff, but the Swedish team's name is Djurgarden... no 'S' at the end. Thanks for all the great work you do.

Posted by: harryfuchs | February 12, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

>> Can anyone articulate a reason why the Washington Freedom did not protect Lori Lindsey against the expansion draft?

Allie Long is younger? That's about the only reason I can think of for protecting her rather than Lori.

Posted by: kevinwparker | February 12, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse