Luis Gil signs with MLS

Luis Gil, a 16-year-old central midfielder who attracted interest from Arsenal and other European clubs, has signed with MLS and will be allocated through a weighted lottery Monday.

Gil, a California native with Mexican roots, trained with Arsenal last year and seemed headed to the Gunners' youth academy. "We thought he would end up with them, but MLS worked very hard to make this happen," his agent, Mike Gartlan, from the James Grant Sports agency, told the Insider. "It's been a challenge, but we got it done."

Gil was the youngest member of the U.S. squad at the U-17 World Cup in Nigeria last year.

The weighted lottery is based on how clubs finished during the 2009 season, with New York having the best chance of winning. Awaiting clarification on where expansion Philadelphia stands. Expansion Philadelphia faces the longest odds.

"His family would like to see him on the West Coast, but we'll see where he's going to be," Gartlan said. "He's open to anything."

As a Generation adidas signing, Gil will not count against the salary cap or senior roster.

For rules and regulations regarding the weighted lottery.....

FROM MLS.....

LOTTERY
Some players shall be assigned to MLS teams via the weighted Lottery process. Any team assigned a player through the lottery in any particular season shall not be assigned another lottery player that season unless and until all teams have received a lottery player or have agreed to waive their option to participate in a Lottery. The players made available through lotteries include:

(i) Generation adidas players signed after the MLS SuperDraft;

(ii) Draft eligible players to whom an MLS contract was offered but who failed to sign with the League prior to the Draft.

The weighted lottery takes into consideration each team's performance over its last 30 regular season games and the most recent postseason. The team with the worst record over its last 30 regular season games (dating back to previous season if necessary and taking playoff performance into account) will have the greatest probability of winning the lottery. Teams are not required to participate in a lottery. Players are assigned via the lottery system in order to prevent a player from potentially influencing his destination club with a strategic holdout.

By Steve Goff  |  February 19, 2010; 3:29 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Conjuring Eric Cantona
Next: MLS responds to players' comments

Comments

Presumably whichever team wins this lottery could then trade that pick/player if they wanted to, right...?

Posted by: Juan-John1 | February 19, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

This is a great pickup for MLS and a sign that young Americans are not all headed to Europe. In fact, I wish we had a rule for U.S. players that unless you are signing with a Big 5 team, e.g. EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Erevedise, or French League, you should ply your trade in MLS.

Posted by: jofij | February 19, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Hulk! SMASH!

LISBON — Porto forward Hulk's chances of making Brazil's World Cup squad took a sizeable blow on Friday when Portuguese Liga officials handed him a four-month domestic ban for violent conduct.

The 23-year-old received the punishment for his role in a post-match brawl with match stewards in the players' tunnel following Porto's 1-0 defeat to title rivals Benfica last December.

Posted by: Reignking | February 19, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Arsenal... does anybody know of any videos of Arsenal training sessions on this Internet thingy? Or is there a place to order one?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 19, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

What do you do with him in the short run? Late game sub? Loan him to USSF 2/USL 2? Should be interesting to see - let's hope it works our well for him (a la Jozy Altidore or Michael Bradley) to start his career in MLS.

Posted by: assocfoot | February 19, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Philly has enough young players as it is...

Posted by: Reignking | February 19, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

@assocfoot: I say in the short run you try to work him in when you can. Play him sparingly, and work on the kid's soccer brain..... (No USL loan.)

Oh hype him the the extent of Freddy Adu.

@Reignking: Poor Hulk. I imagine he will appeal the suspension. I really like Hulk's game, he really tormented Arsenal in the midweek. I was hoping he moved to the EPL or La Liga so I could watch him more.

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 19, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | February 19, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

@jofij

Serie A would like a word with you...

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | February 19, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

He's been lighting it up. I can't believe Porto found the Brazilian in Japan.

Posted by: Reignking | February 19, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I agree with OWNTF

should have let him go. Would have been a good move for him instead of having him sign with MLS.
All I can see is another young prospect struggling for regular playing time in Europe (if he makes his move) and having to settle in a lower league.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | February 19, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

"So a young player with international promise will be training with the NY Red Bulls instead of Arsenal."

Yeah, that was such a bad move for Jozy Altidore, Tim Howard, and Michael Bradley.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | February 19, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't think they had his options when they were 16.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 19, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Bad move for Gil. He's probably going to get paid more in MLS but it would have much better for his career in the long term for him to get experience in Arsenal's youth system. He has no chance of playing regularly in MLS and, oh yeah, we don't have a reserve league anymore. I swear....

And if I was a promising young player, I'd be unlikely to agree to join MLS when the team and coach I play is a result of the luck of the draw. If I wanted to play for United, I would demand it be so. Just very surprised MLS got this kid and I don't think its good for him or the league to be honest.

Posted by: FAkeemail9875 | February 19, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

yeah, send him to Arsenal where he can learn how to loose and complain about the ref with a french accent.

Maybe he really wanted to stay in the US and this is a good move. No one knows except him.

Posted by: hacksaw | February 19, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

FAkeemail, I don't know whether Gil will play much in MLS but quite a few teenagers like Convey, Quaranta, Adu, Gaven and the ones Mastodon Juan mentioned have seen significant action on the field.

Some have thrived and others have struggled.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 19, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Well, we kind of sucked last year, right? Gotta hope we have a chance, however. slim.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 19, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jofij | February 19, 2010 3:50 PM --------------------------------------------------------

Big fan of indentured servitude, are you?

People keep talking about his Academy options, but I thought I'd read these have been foreclosed for now because of new age rules for non-EU kids. Or, was that info wrong...if anyone knows?

As for not playing in MLS -- as their rosters stand now, he'd have a good shot of seeing action with NY and DC, at least. The list of failed MLS youngsters is a lot shorter than the list of young Americans who disappeared in Europe. As talented as he seems to be, I don't think he has to worry about making it in MLS...provided he stays healthy.

Posted by: fischy | February 19, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

With a work stoppage likely in the MLS, I would have advised him to wait and see.

Posted by: SomeSoccerFan | February 19, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

36 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | February 19, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

I also love how Serie A doesn't make joflj's "Big 5".

Posted by: BooThisMan | February 19, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Anybody calculate DC United's chances of winning the lottery?

Posted by: redskinsux | February 19, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

he's 16. he doesn't need PT, he needs practice, against professionals, by professional trainers. he's going to learn more from four on four drills and half pitch training sessions with professionals as from actually playing in a match. unless he's really all that good, any mls team that lets him sniff the pitch next season is doing him a disservice. practice, lad, you're being paid well for it. train for a season, and then we'll see. it's what you'd be doing in Europe, after all, except you'd get a few more meaningless games.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | February 19, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

"Tell you what though, Mastodon, Lindsey Vonn may make a Red Bull fan out of me yet."

Posted by: OWNTF

Dude. You've got much higher standards than that. Don't let the double chin, blonde hair, blue eyes, and husband willing to kiss her before her run get you bent outta form. Your stronger than this! Grab the reigns!;)

Posted by: DadRyan | February 19, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Keep your hands off of me!

Posted by: Reignking | February 19, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | February 19, 2010 5:32 PM
------------

I'll just stick with Mastodon, the band, thank you very much.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 20, 2010 2:04 AM | Report abuse

Aaron Neville not on the field?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 20, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Anyone watching? Two cracking goals in the Man U-Everton match.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 20, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Anybody got a good URL for streaming the Everton MU game?

Posted by: glfrazier | February 20, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm watching. glfrazier, I hope you found a feed. There are probably many at ATDHE.net.

It's a shame Donovan whiffed on his best chance yet. Hope he doesn't bungle it next time.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 20, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Luis Gil = trade bait. Probably get a few superdraft picks and a veteran for him.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | February 20, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Yanks 3 - Redcoats 1

Definitely over-egging the pudding

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 20, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

EVERTON!

Posted by: OWNTF | February 20, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

They just showed a little piece on Charlie Davies on ESPN2. Footage of him rejoining his teamates, rehabbing, etc. Nice post game show. Glad I knocked my butt out of bed to watch the match this morning.
Donovan is really getting it done.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 20, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Landon Donovan is a BEAST!

Posted by: GeneWells | February 20, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Also Wes Brown of Man U looks like he is phoning it in.

Posted by: GeneWells | February 20, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Was it me or did I hear Everton fans singing "Oh when the Yanks go Marching in" when Timbo Howard was taking a goal kick?

Posted by: delantero | February 20, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Luis Gil at 16 has made a big career mistake. The road to footballing success is not the MLS.

Posted by: juke2 | February 20, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

"The road to footballing success is not the MLS."

Donovan, Holden, Dempsey, Altidore, Howard and a few others might have something to say about that.

Posted by: delantero | February 20, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

^^^^^^^^^
Yeperoonie!

Posted by: DadRyan | February 20, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Checking out the tweets, it sounds likle United is more dangerous today (Barklage, Najar and Allsopp each with chances), but still haven't found the net. Maybe Najar will be our Jack Rodwell.....

Posted by: fischy | February 20, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse