Marsch retires, Crew signs Colombian

*Chivas USA midfielder Jesse Marsch, one of three players to appear in matches in each of MLS's 14 seasons, announced his retirement to become an assistant coach under Bob Bradley with the U.S. national team.

The only others to play at least once in every year of MLS are Steve Ralston, who signed with second-division St. Louis this week; and D.C. United's Jaime Moreno, the league's all-time leading scorer, who is set to play in Washington in 2010.

Marsch, 36, began his career with United in 1996 and had four league goals in two seasons before being claimed by Bradley, then the coach of the Chicago Fire, in the expansion draft.

"I remember my first day as a pro soccer player, 22 years old, jumping into a van at United training camp in Del Mar [Calif.]," he told the Insider today. "John Harkes was driving, Jeff Agoos was in the front passenger's seat and I slid in next to Marco Etcheverry. I'm thinking: 'What am I doing here?' But once I got on the field and got comfortable around those guys, I was confident I would fit in."

Overall, he appeared in 321 regular season and 37 playoff matches, won three MLS Cup and four U.S. Open Cup titles. This offseason, he interviewed for the Chicago head coaching vacancy, which was given to Carlos de los Cobos. Marsch will join the U.S. squad next week.

*As we suspected this morning, the Columbus Crew has acquired Colombian Sergio Herrera, a 28-year-old forward from Deportivo Cali who has four goals in 11 national team appearances. He scored 26 goals in 92 matches for Cali.

For more.....

*Real Salt Lake added Miles Joseph, a midfielder for New York, Columbus and Dallas between 1996 and 2001, to the coaching staff under Jason Kreis.

*The Colorado Rapids formally announced plans for a Supporters Terrace in the north end of Dick's Sporting Goods Park -- "an adult-oriented area designed to allow for the exuberance of the Rapids' most passionate fans."

By Steve Goff  |  February 5, 2010; 5:02 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday kickaround
Next: Video: Jozy Altidore's goal

Comments

These jokes write themselves.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | February 5, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

As much as I'd like to mock the Rapids, that's at least a positive step forward.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 5, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Are these 2 guys on Twitter?

Posted by: JkR- | February 5, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Terrace? All they need is a stoop.

Posted by: VamosUnited1 | February 5, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

>> These jokes write themselves.

I, for one, hope this blog and its anonymous audience are mature enough not to make any jokes about Dick's rabid area.

Posted by: hungrypug | February 5, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 5, 2010 5:23 PM
_________________________________________

Not to rub salt in old wounds, but DCU fans have no business mocking anyone with their own stadium. Just sayin'.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | February 5, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Considering they kick anyone out of Dick's who even looks like they might be tempted to enjoy themselves, I don't see how there would be any "rabid" Colorado supporters left.

Posted by: alecw81 | February 5, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

It's the owners, stupid.

Look, when the owners want a "family oriented" fun time and banish a supporters group to a tiny corner, you get what you deserve.

They allow prime seating for all the moms and pops and teams to sit on their hands, and the result is a pretty sorry atmosphere.

the Class VI Rapids fan group has always invited United supporters for a free bbq/beer tail gate, by the way,

but when you are dealt a stadium on the far side of the moon from downtown, and the hordes of youth in suburbs on the West side of Denver, as well as the fans sitting at universities in Boulder and Fort Collins, it makes it difficult to find critical mass.

Posted by: delantero | February 5, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Headin' out for a run...

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 5, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Marsch with two caps is on BB staff now and that's a complete joke. I guess he wanted another coach with no international background on the staff so he won't be the only one.

Posted by: euroman | February 5, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

wow, Euroman.
Just wow.
I'm sure the teaparty soccer team has openings.

Posted by: billq1 | February 5, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

* Dick's ... adult-oriented exuberance ... most passionate fans..."

All I can do now is wait for the same writer to grace us with copy like "Bravo Cuts Johnson," "Paul Smith Releases Johnson," or "Bravo Trades Johnson for Allocation Money."

Posted by: rcdwriting | February 6, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

The sun is shining in Liverpool. Donovan is lined up against Maxi Rodriguez and wins a corner in the 2nd minute.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 6, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

anyone have a good on-line feed of the liverpool - everton game?

(note to self - switch away from direct tv and go to FiOS. damn weather knocked out the satellite...at least i have power...for now).

Posted by: birdynumnum | February 6, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

The game is on ESPN2

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | February 6, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Howard was flapping around a bit on that goal, but Neville let Kuyt get inside him. Just bad defending on Everton's part.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 6, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Headin' out for a run...
Posted by: Rand-al-Thor
============

You'll need some x-country skis.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 6, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else lose Fox Soccer Channel? I've got most of my digital channels but for some reason FSC is black (I get Comcast digital in Arlington). Maybe it's just very dark and quiet in Hull City now.

It's a fairly trivial irritation given the snowstorm we're having but I was going to dedicate 2 hours of couch potatoness to watch Hull v Man City.

Power was out for several hours overnight here but I don't know why that would affect some cable channels and not others.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 6, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Altidore!

Posted by: B_A_ | February 6, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Snowed in and lost my FSC feed!!! Noooooooooo!!!

Posted by: jclinger | February 6, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Altidore with a stellar match. He drew two fouls and two yellows early, then scores a sweet, perfectly touched shot that snuck just inside the post.

He was fun to watch, strong, quick on the turn and showing more touch on the ball.

He subbed out secondary to a knock in the 60th or so.

Posted by: delantero | February 6, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I think it's good that Dick's has a place for adult oriented area, now there's a place for OB GYNs to practice their love and enjoy soccer at the same time.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | February 6, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

49 days until Moreno alone holds the MLS record for most seasons played in!

Well, until United plays its first 2010 league match. But given our center midfield spot, it wouldn't surprise me to see Moreno sub in there. We seem to have more need for him there than at striker and he's played the position in the past.

Posted by: Curious99 | February 6, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse