Matchnight: USA-El Salvador

Last call! For many of the MLS players in Tampa tonight for the friendly against El Salvador, it's a final opportunity to make an impression on Coach Bob Bradley.

While Clarence Goodson (the only foreign-based player on the roster), Jonathan Bornstein and Robbie Rogers will remain in the mix regardless of what unfolds at Raymond James Stadium, players such as Troy Perkins, Chad Marshall, Jeff Cunningham, Robbie Findley, Sacha Kljestan, Brian Ching and Conor Casey would bolster their chances with a quality showing.

The Americans have another friendly next week at the Netherlands -- the only match before the final roster is selected -- but that squad will comprise almost entirely of foreign-based players.

Kickoff: 7 p.m. ET.
TV: ESPN Classic, Galavision.
Both rosters are available on the continuation of this thread.

I hope to update you with the lineup and reserves later.
USA LINEUP: Rimando; Evans, Bornstein, Goodson, Pearce; Rogers, Kljestan, Beckerman, Davis; Findley, Casey. Subs: Perkins, Wynne, Marshall, McCarty, Cameron, Gaven, Pontius Cunningham, Ching. Not in uniform: Pontius, Wynne.

Rimando over Perkins is certainly a surprise. Bornstein in central defense and Evans at right back? Interesting.

As always, your observations are warmly welcome. Enjoy.

USA
GOALKEEPERS: Troy Perkins (D.C. United), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake).
DEFENDERS: Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Clarence Goodson (IK Start), Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew), Heath Pearce (FC Dallas), Marvell Wynne (Toronto FC).
MIDFIELDERS: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Geoff Cameron (Houston Dynamo), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders), Eddie Gaven (Columbus Crew), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Dax McCarty (FC Dallas), Chris Pontius (D.C. United), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew).
FORWARDS: Conor Casey (Colorado Rapids), Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo), Jeff Cunningham (FC Dallas), Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake).

EL SALVADOR
GOALKEEPERS: Miguel Montes (Aguila), Dagoberto Portillo (F.A.S.).
DEFENDERS: Dennis Alas (Firpo), Alexander Escobar (Metapan), Marvin Gonzalez (F.A.S.), Mardo Henriquez (F.A.S.), Alfredo Pacheco (F.A.S.), Manuel Salazar (Firpo), Deris Umanzor (Aguila).
MIDFIELDERS: Edgar Alvarez (San Jacinto College), Ramon Flores (F.A.S.), Josue Odir Flores (Metapan), Shawn Martin (Aguila), Juan Carlos Moscoso (F.A.S.), Osael Romero (Chivas USA), Ramon Sanchez (San Jose Earthquakes).
FORWARDS: Arturo Alvarez (San Jose Earthquakes), Rudis Corrales (Aguila), Andres Flores (Metapan).

By Steve Goff  |  February 24, 2010; 5:01 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wednesday kickaround
Next: In victory, U.S. players make World Cup push

Comments

I'd like to see Pontius do something...

Posted by: alan19 | February 24, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

In his defense, sort of, the reason he didn't do anything in the Honduras match is that he didn't make the bench.

Here's hoping.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | February 24, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

One typo in the US lineup: Brad Evans listed twice, but for different MLS teams. Which Brad Evans will show up tonight?

Posted by: BaltoFan | February 24, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope Conor Casey and Kyle Beckerman both have their DaMarcus Beasley game where they make Bradley realize "woah...I can't take these guys to South Africa! What the f$@! have I been thinking?!?!"

Posted by: daandre3 | February 24, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget the match is also on ESPN360 for you folks without the premium cable service.

Love to see Party Boy get into it tonight, but I'll settle for playing with 11 men for the night.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 24, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow that back four is scary ... and not in a good way.

Posted by: scott47a | February 24, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Bob Bradley has no credibility for starting or even playing Kljestan. How many times does someone have to play poorly before the jury is out on him? He obviously shows favoritism towards him and Bornstein (he may have played well the last game or so but has looked horrible in the past and still continued to play) for his previous relationship with them at Chivas and plays them regardless of form.

Posted by: newportnews | February 24, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

From www.soccerprofessor.com.

Who scored within six minutes playing against El Salvador in his first national team game in 1977?

Posted by: jamieclary | February 24, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't care how we do at the World Cup, I am counting the days until Bob Bradley is out. Bornstein as captain and a CENTERBACK, after dismissing Gonzalez and Orozco? ARGH!

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 24, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

dadryan, thanks. I was going to be watching American Idol on TV, anyway :)

Posted by: Reignking | February 24, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Wait, Pontius is out? I'll read the box score.

Posted by: Reignking | February 24, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

What are you guys tripping on the line up for? This game is barely more important than the last one. It's a test. I saw one idiot on Facebook not understanding why the World Cup starters aren't playing tonight....

Here's an answer: They're almost all playing in Europe and this isn't a FIFA date! Chill out!
I've also seen some ES fans who have little confidence in the result tonight due to the absence of Castillo and Quintanilla.
Chill

Posted by: DadRyan | February 24, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Party Boy is out? Maybe he can go party with Bobby Boswell and the rest of the Dynamo in the stands.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 24, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

I don't bother watching pointless friendlies. Maybe if someone interesting like Pontius or Castillo or Jozy were in...

Posted by: Reignking | February 24, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

From www.soccerprofessor.com.

Answer is Rick Davis.

Posted by: jamieclary | February 24, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Its not showing on ESPN Classic.

Posted by: TheJim1 | February 24, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

With one of the best players, from one of THE best team in MLS in Brad Evans starting you aren't interested!?!

Posted by: DadRyan | February 24, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Don't trust your TV Guide theJIm. My buddy was saying the same thing, but it IS on now isn't it?

So much for the rumor we'd see new jerseys tonight...

Posted by: DadRyan | February 24, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

anyone else already tired of casey tonight?

Posted by: troy6 | February 24, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

So much for the rumor we'd see new jerseys tonight...

Posted by: DadRyan | February 24, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

They'll probably debut the new kits against Netherlands.

Posted by: spikeman | February 24, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

am I drunk or did the announcers actually praise findley for that travesty?

Posted by: troy6 | February 24, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Amazing amount of possession by USA. Even more amazing that they haven't been able to put the ball in the net.

Posted by: tfshea | February 24, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

ok, lots of subs to start the second half please. evans and casey out please.

Posted by: troy6 | February 24, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Its not showing on ESPN Classic.

Posted by: TheJim1 | February 24, 2010 7:11 PM
------------------------------------------------------

If you haven't figured it out, it is playing on ESPN Classic. It's just not listed in the FiOS channel guide -- not there or on Galavision.

Posted by: fischy | February 24, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Pretty disappointed with Rogers so far - but will give him some benefit of the doubt because he is being played out of position.

Kljestan has had two good opportunities to score, and fluffed both of them. Of course BB just said that he was impressed by him.

Ching in for Casey. Eddie Gaven coming in as well.

Posted by: isaac101 | February 24, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Kjlestan's been getting himself in good positions, but he should have scored with both those shots. Casey also finding hmself in good spots, but his lack of speed is killling him. Beckerman -- continues to give me confidence as a defensive player. It's too bad he stinks with the ball. Rogers running aimlessly. Pearce looking good coming forward. Is he back in the conversation?

Posted by: fischy | February 24, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

With FIOS it's on chn 71.

Posted by: tfshea | February 24, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Tough crowd tonight.

Posted by: JkR- | February 24, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Ouch. Brad Evans please turn in your national team jersey - you won't be needing it anymore.

Posted by: isaac101 | February 24, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Wow - US has had more chances by far and trails 0 - 1. Do their minds lock up when they get inside the penalty box? Put it away!

Posted by: tfshea | February 24, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Brian Ching, in only 20 minutes, has been more impressive than any other USA player.

Posted by: isaac101 | February 24, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

premature, as the game is still going, but I think ching, beckerman, goodson, and, believe it or not, pearce have all done themselves good tonight. especially ching. did I mention ching?

klejstan and rodgers haven't hurt themselves, but mishandling opportunities ain't exactly going to lift them up either.

Posted by: troy6 | February 24, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Score update?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 24, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

2-1 USA. Kljestan scores in the 91st minute. Ching got the other.

Credit where credit is due - I criticized Kljestan in the first half - but that play to steal the ball and score the winning goal was quite nice.

Posted by: isaac101 | February 24, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Its USA 2 ELS 1 Final

Posted by: RM27 | February 24, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

i didn't think klejsten was bad in the first half, but he missed some opportunities. he made up for it somewhat with the goal, but he didn't light it up.

hope ching, beckerman, and goodson go to amsterdam. maybe pearce too.

Posted by: troy6 | February 24, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Kljestan kept his composure & finished well; and it is always good to win. Ching does make things happen - wish he had a bit more pace.
Rimando over Perkins??? what the? ... Nick is solid MLS goalkeeper but MNT? No.

Posted by: Zipfutbol | February 24, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

El Salvador's defense were just silly in the end. So many times the ball just bounced off them into a dangerous channel or they didn't cover. Weird.

Bob's player choices are like an answer of T to every question of a True or False exam. They never change. They sometimes work. They are never intelligent.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 24, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Rimando has always been one of the best USA goalies. His height is a problem, but he's so damn athletic, it almost doesn't matter. He knows what he's doing out there. I never understood DCU's decision to bench him for Perkins. I don't expect him to make the trip to SA, but he deserved the look.

Pearce really lit it up out there, huh? I think BB may have to take another look at him. The USA struggles to put pressure on other teams, and the other options at left back don't help in that regard. Rogers is so frustrating. When you see those free kicks, you can see the fantastic talent he might be, if he only he made better decisions when he's running with the ball. He's still on the bubble, depending on injuries and how Holden performs. If Clark's not healthy, I guess we'll get another look at Sacha next week. Let's see how he and Robbie do against top players. Ching -- good to see him back on his game. I used to be his biggest supporter, so I can't stay objective, but I think we can all agree it's a nice rebound from his last time out in a USA uniform. That's it from me.

Posted by: fischy | February 24, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, pulling out a win in the end was nice, and Klejstan made up for some errant passing and mindless drifting with the hustle on that steal, but I was disappointed that a group of guys supposedly fighting for a seat on the plane didn't go after the frackin' goal more often.

I agree that Goodson and Pearce helped themselves out. Beckerman, bless his trustafarian heart, tried but he just doesn't have it at the international level. He actually makes a lot of right decisions, he just doesn't execute them with any sort of consistency and doesn't have the real athletic attributes to compete. Ching was great tonight, but can we be at all confident that he can do the same thing next time he shows up in a US shirt?

Posted by: sec133row5 | February 24, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Beckerman's last appearance against El Salvador *should* have been that game.

Posted by: BooThisMan | February 24, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Beckerman's last appearance against El Salvador *should* have been that game.

Posted by: BooThisMan | February 24, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

The only reason we won that game is El Salvador is a very very bad team.

quality on the pearce - ching header.

most goalies would save that ball though. it was right at the goalie.

poor defending/ lazy leads to one goal for each team.

nice finishing for the K man though.

lot of poor finishing otherwise.

all in all an ugly game of bootball.

Posted by: castroviejo | February 24, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Goodson was money tonight, I thought. He's grown up a lot. Not a starter, obviously, but no one's going to get nervous when they see him warming up.

Posted by: loosek | February 24, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

"Backpass" Beckerman STINKS. Cut him.

Posted by: Ron16 | February 24, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Great, regardless of the poor finishes and overall lack of acceptable performances against quality teams, Kljestan will make the World Cup roster because he scored a goal, against an El Salvador B Team?? You watch, Bob Bradley sucks.

Posted by: newportnews | February 24, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

A) No one impressed.
B) Rogers played as if he already had a ticket to South Africa, then stunk the joint up.
C) Ditto to Casey, Findley, and the rest of the lot, really.
D)Ching had a nice game as a sub. Klestjan was the best of the mediocrity.

E) El Salvador is in bad shape.

F) Pontius is as good, if not better, than anyone on the field, and he doesn't get a shot?

Posted by: delantero | February 24, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Ching, if healthy, has to be a given on the roster for South Africa. There are no other choices for a third striker to carry on the roster.

Casey, Findley and Cunningham? No thanks.

Posted by: scott47a | February 24, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Pwned! Dumb soccer player should've gone with the girl from Atlanta to get a medal. Serves her right!

Posted by: Reignking | February 24, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm with delantero on the individual efforts. I think as a team, they looked better in the first half than they did last month. There was definitely improvement in teamwork and work rate. But I saw the same old mistakes by the same players. What's the deal? Why take out Davis and move Rogers to the left when you just could have taken Rogers out for Gavin? I'm done with Casey and Findley. I feel better about Pearce, Goodsen and Evans.

Posted by: spata2 | February 24, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

@Spata -- You're kidding, right? You're criticizing coaching -- player moves -- in a friendly that was scheduled for the coach to look at the players he might want to take to SA? You're satirizing by mimicking those people who reflexively criticize coaches, right?

Posted by: fischy | February 24, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Apologies for the double post; I was told my first attempt was rejected.

Mexico is absolutely thrashing Bolivia already, by the way.

Posted by: BooThisMan | February 24, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

My neighbor who TVo'd the game so we could take shots and watch at our own pace told me to tell you fools what I've always known: Punch Hawaiian Chingy's ticket to South Africa already!
might as well punch Sacha's too. HIs girl will keep the peeps peepin' more than all those cheatin'@$$# Brits!@!!! Eff OuT!!
LOL.
USA! USA! USA!

Posted by: DadRyan | February 24, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised how negative many of the comments are.

I had little expectations for this game but found it pretty entertaining. The US dominated an overmatched El Salvador team and very nearly lost.

This MLS-based team played fairly well but weak finishing and big saves from Montes kept the game close and almost led to the upset.

Probably only Brad Evans did really badly and I was still glad to see him start over Marvell Toyota "my accelerator pedal is stuck and the rest of my controls don't work" Wynne.

Pearce was my man of the match but I don't like Kljestan too much so I may be biased.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 24, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

EMO and Chingy owned this game. Try to say otherwise without looking at the scoreline. Everyone hates on Ching, but he always does better than that big head for nothing Casey does. Stop Hating.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 25, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Goff's still in preseason form. No "rewind' and player ratings.

Posted by: fischy | February 25, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Cuz he's got a big GIANT Casey head in the way of writing his story...

Posted by: DadRyan | February 25, 2010 12:55 AM | Report abuse

I'm guessing he's working on the MLS labor story. Hopefully, tomorrow (or Friday) brings news of a deadline extension. I think they need it...unless that's just postponing the inevitable. Maybe it's gonna take a work stoppage to get this done.

Posted by: fischy | February 25, 2010 1:00 AM | Report abuse

I still don't want Ching in South Africa anywhere other than the stands.

Name someone who ISN'T a CONCACAF minnow that he's scored against...

I'll wait...

Still waiting...

What's that?

He hasn't scored against anyone who doesn't suck?

Yeah. That's what I thought.

I'd rather bring someone young with potential for 2014 than Ching. Be it Johnson or Freddy.

Posted by: alecw81 | February 25, 2010 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Can't wait to see who's paired with Goodson in central defense next Wednesday in Amsterdam. Demerit? Bocanegra?

Posted by: soccerman | February 25, 2010 1:19 AM | Report abuse

No way Kljestan makes the plane with Landon, MB, Rico, Demps, Stu, Benny, El Gringo (and probably even DMB) ahead of him at midfield, barring a ton of injuries (or lack of recoveries in a couple of cases). Even if he makes the plane, he probably won't be in the 18, let alone on the field. I'm way more worried about seeing Casey take the field for us in SA.

Posted by: BooThisMan | February 25, 2010 1:35 AM | Report abuse

@BaltoFan

The one that sucks!

Posted by: no_recess | February 25, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

I assume by not including Goodson on your poll you think he's already on the plane to SA so he isn't a choice for among fringe players anymore?

Posted by: euroman | February 25, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse