Netherlands roster for USA friendly

The Dutch list for Wednesday's friendly against the Americans at Amsterdam Arena:

GOALKEEPERS: Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax), Piet Velthuizen (Vitesse Arnhem), Michel Vorm (Utrecht).

DEFENDERS: Edson Braafheid (Celtic), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Feyenoord), John Heitinga (Everton), Joris Mathijsen (Hamburg), Andre Ooijer (PSV Eindhoven), Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord), Gregory van der Wiel (Ajax).

MIDFIELDERS: Ibrahim Afellay (PSV Eindhoven), Mark van Bommel (Bayern Munich), Orlando Engelaar (PSV Eindhoven), Nigel de Jong (Manchester City), Stijn Schaars (Alkmaar), Wesley Sneijder (Inter Milan), Rafael van der Vaart (Real Madrid), Demy de Zeeuw (Ajax).

FORWARDS: Ryan Babel (Liverpool), Eljero Elia (Hamburg), Klaas Jan Huntelaar (AC Milan), Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool), Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich).

By Steve Goff  |  February 26, 2010; 8:20 PM ET
Categories:  Netherlands , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV listings
Next: Video: Victories for Real Madrid and Barcelona

Comments

Should be aa good gaame.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 26, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Hahahahahaha!

Look at all those players from their two-bit wooden shoe domestic league! It is so NOT like playing a team of Premiership players!

We will crush these tools, no problem.

(This comment contains a full week's serving of post-work sarcasm).

Posted by: Modibo | February 26, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

OMG. That looks remarkably like the Dutch national team. We're gonna get pasted.

Posted by: glfrazier | February 26, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, well we got MLS Cup Champ Robbie Findley of Real Salt Lake and Eddie Johnson of Aris via loan from Cardiff via loan from Fulham via sale from KC and Dallas , . .

Oh when the Yanks, go marching in
Oh when the Yanks, go marching in . .

Posted by: delantero | February 26, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

So, are these guys going to spot the USA a couple of goals?

The USA goalie is going to have a very busy night. Maybe the busiest since Keller stoned the Brazilians.

Posted by: fischy | February 26, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

This is gonna be a space cake walk.

Hey, didn't say I wasn't already high did I?

Posted by: DadRyan | February 26, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

They've got some snipers. At least no Van Persie.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 26, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

That's it! game over man! game over! what are gonna do now, ah! what are we gonna do!!

Posted by: WillyJoel | February 26, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Strange, isn't it, how the Dutch place more players in top leagues at the more attack-oriented positions. Quite the opposite of the US. I couldn't quote stats over the past 10-15 years, but it doesn't seem like an anomaly to me.

Posted by: benonthehill | February 26, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I'll definitely be tape-delaying this one -- and I couldn't even be bothered to watch the SLV one live.

Will VDV's wife be in attendance?

Posted by: Reignking | February 26, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

I think this might be time for Bob Bradley to try the old 4-5-1. I say we either lose 4-0, or win 1-0 in an absolute highway robbery that has a hint a hilarious to it.

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 26, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

29 days until United's first match.

p.s. The computer is fixed!!!! Nothing like a new power supply.

p.p.s. If only United had one.

Posted by: Curious99 | February 26, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

We. Got. This.

Or not. I mean, I'll be realistic.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 26, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

A bunch of guys I've never heard of with funny-looking names. Ooijer? Van der Vaart?

US 13 - Dutchland -2

Posted by: BooThisMan | February 27, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

wow, that is a formidable lineup indeed...but so was spain in the confederations cup! unfortunately, our squad is far weaker then when we beat spain. a draw would be a fantastic result, especially if we scored a goal (not exactly our forte). in the spirit of optimism i predict: 2-2.

Posted by: dfunkt | February 27, 2010 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Same Dutch team filled with studs, and the results will be the same- crap out early. The Dutch have won the same number of World Cups we have!

Wanna know how to piss off a Dutchman? Tell him that no one knows or cares about what the difference between Holland and the Netherlands is...I hate the Dutch...

Posted by: alan19 | February 27, 2010 1:44 AM | Report abuse

I have the same problem with some of thses comments that I have with Bob Bradley's reign over the team. There are times when we seem to be afraid of the jersey.

I don't care if we lose. Let's attack, and at least lose trying to play with some pride. There is no shame is losing to a better squad. But I just don't want to see one of our timid European performances. When the game is over, I want to see we have gained some respect from a better opponent.

Posted by: rcdwriting | February 27, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you rcdwriting, regardless of my silly ganja laced cookie reference. I'm much more excited about seeing our boys play top competition than say Cuba or Trinidad. Just wish I was actually going to Amsterdam and to the match.

I'll be watching the match live, and loving every minute of it.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 27, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Wayne Bridge refuses to shake Terry's hand in the pre-match intros.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 27, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Wayne Bridge refuses to shake Terry's hand in the pre-match intros.

Posted by: I-270Exit1
----------------------
he might be willing to shake him by his throat, though...

Posted by: troy6 | February 27, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

rcdwriting-

If you have trouble putting down El Salvador, then you might want to be cautious of Arjen Robben, Sneijder, Babel, basically a lot of attacking talent we would kill to possess.

Especially when you know Bob's going to try to go MORE defensive, ie. "So, which one of you wants to be our offense today?"

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 27, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

John Terry is just not very good. If he is a pillar of the England team, then I like the USA's chances against England.

Posted by: GeneWells | February 27, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

... and that Lampard guy is also crap.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 27, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I went to lunch with a Dutch guy once.

We both paid.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 27, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

That sounds like a real Dutch treat.

However, you should've jumped rope with him and gone double dutch.

Posted by: Reignking | February 27, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Humberto Suazo with 2 goals in 19 minutes for Zaragoza. Someone to watch for Chile this summer. He just left Monterrey in January and is already Zaragoza's leading scorer (at 4).

Posted by: Reignking | February 27, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Gracie is on Lifetime right now.

My wife found it. I never watch Lifetime, Lifetime Movie Network, Oxygen, etc.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 27, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't up in time to watch a stream, but it seems Holden had himself a pretty good game. He badly sliced on a good opportunity from outside the top of the box, but he nearly had a goal on a long free kick that bounced in the box. Only a fingertip save by Hahnemann pushed it around the post. He was serving up nice corner kicks, too. Very positive reviews all around for Stu. Good news, after the uneven showing by Robbie Rogers. With the lack of depth up top, do we see Donovan at forward and Holden starting on the wing?

Posted by: fischy | February 27, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

28 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | February 27, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

donovan on left, holden on right, and dempsey up top.

Posted by: troy6 | February 27, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

UnitedDemon- Almost nobody that will be on the field Wednesday was a part of the squad that had trouble with El Salvador. Moot point.

Posted by: carmines757 | February 27, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

carmines757:

Believe it or not, I wasn't even talking about that game. Did you miss the other two El Salvador games? We tied them the first game AFTER GOING DOWN TWO, and only squeaked away by a one goal margin the second time.

We also got creamed by Costa Rica in Saprissa, and required a laser second half shot against Trinidad.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 27, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

"If you have trouble putting down El Salvador, then you might want to be cautious"

The USA dominated shots on goal, corners, and most of the attacking play throughout the night. The erratic header back to the keeper was the kind of mental breakdown players who want to be on the MNT squad should not be making. To find out which players make that kind of mistake is a reason for scheduling El Salvador. You schedule Holland to find out what you are made of as a team.

If we were a team predicated on a stingy, athletic, and hard-nosed defense in front of a world class keeper, either Howard or Freidel, then playing cautiously in a shell is fine. Maybe we could bring forwards on to the team who can learn to dive in the box (Freddy comes to mind) and get us undeserved 1-0 wins. Or we can go home with 0-0 draws and say "mission accomplished."

What I would love to see from the USMNT team at this stage in their development is that we learn from mistakes that we make against real quality and that we STOP making those same mistakes again and again and again: Defensive mids sucking up red cards, defenders slow to react or caught ball watching, attaking players getting the ball stripped from them in bad places on the field, forwards and attacking mids who can't finish. And above all, I want to see the team play with intensity for 90 minutes. I want to see a team take the field thinking this game matters, and then play like it does. If you can't play like that against Netherlands in March, what chance is there of playing like that in South Africa?

Posted by: rcdwriting | February 27, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Actually, don't disagree.

I think playing the Netherlands, Turkey, and the Czech Republic was a great idea (although I read some article that got me thinking about whether or not an African foe would should have been in the mix).

Bob Bradley isn't afraid of any given team. He's afraid of soccer being played, of anything that could happen other than the US having "good touches, being crisp with our thinking" whatever BS is supposed to be our mantra. He's afraid of players like Torres or Adu, any ability that isn't able to be gauged quickly.

In short, I agree that we should have at them. But anything short of our best effort on both ends of the field, things will go badly.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 27, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I am confused by all this Bob Bradley bashing. Everyone seems to agree that Everton is a great fit for Donovan, or that Fulham is a great fit for Dempsey. Both of those EPL teams practically implement the same defensive counter attacking system as Bradley. (Ones a 4-5-1 the other is a 4-4-2).

I think we should focus on a good day for Americans abroad. Stu looks to have settled in well and Clark has recovered from an injury. But go on, keep saying we need to play more creative stuff.

The only legitimate case would be for Torres to see the field more. After watching Pachuca last week it is obvious Torres has talent but he does have defensive weaknesses. Torres likes to sit deep reading the game and moving the ball. Right now, our mids are not in there for the option. If we switch to a 4-5-1 Torres could become an option.

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 27, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

These are some of the ugliest kits I've seen in awhile. Slovenia's looks like it has a a superhero lightning bolt.

The Dutch in anything but orange is wrong.

Only ones I like are the All Black of New Zealand, and the traditional Brasil kit.

Posted by: delantero | February 27, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

the pic of the kits is half way down on that yahoo blog

Posted by: delantero | February 27, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

The fans have made Holden the highest-rated player of the game. What is with this English love-fest of US MNT players? Go Holden!

Posted by: glfrazier | February 27, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

28 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | February 27, 2010 2:10 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------

That's some serious optimism, right there.

Posted by: fischy | February 27, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

What's wrong with the Dutch in red, white and blue? Those are true national colors. Orange is the color of the royal family, not the country. Years ago, the Netherlands national team only wore the orange uniforms if the Queen was in attendance at the game.

Since orange is such a big part of the countries heritage and culture, I'm sure they will have an orange kit in addition to the new one displayed in that add.

BTW, I am digging the new US kit. I like it much better than the last two dark blue. Let's hope the lighter color is better than the last one, as well.

Posted by: spata1 | February 27, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

@delantero: it's not a lightning bolt, it's an alternate Charlie Brown shirt!

FSC(Not that FSC) had this story, that was more informative yesterday.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 27, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Oh no...that picture of Ramsey's injury says a thousands words. The players are horrified.

Posted by: Reignking | February 27, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Yup. You have to hope he Ramey can come back from that injury. The Welshman was on a trajectory to join a few other Welshmen on the list of all-time best players never to play in the World Cup finals (Giggs, etc.). Hope he can come back and resume playing at such a high level.

Posted by: fischy | February 27, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the World Cup and that injury, hours after the game Cappello named Ryan Shawcross, the perpetrator, to the England side in their next friendly. If the USA has an luck, he'll be too traumatized to play all out against the USA in South Africa.

Posted by: fischy | February 27, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Does Queen Beatrix go to Rangers matches too?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 28, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

fischy, careful what you wish for. My focus isn't on he English injuries, chemistry, etc. as much as it is on crossing my fingers that guys like Dempsey, Onyewu, and perhaps Davies are not only physically ready to play in June, but also not gun shy when it comes to throwing their all into games. Dempsey even when healthy has often looked like he's eaten too many pot brownies, before the game and who knows what the real phycological toll has been on Davies.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 28, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse