Surgery for D.C. United's Szetela

D.C. United midfielder Danny Szetela is tentatively scheduled to undergo surgery Friday after an MRI exam revealed torn meniscus in his left knee. He was injured during Tuesday's training session. If no further damage is discovered, he seems likely to miss at least a month. With a major snowstorm heading toward the Washington area, the operation might have to be postponed. The club will reveal further details after the procedure is completed.

By Steve Goff  |  February 4, 2010; 4:01 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ex-Sol players claimed in WPS dispersal draft
Next: Weekend TV listings

Comments

Is this what being first feels like?

Missing a good chunk of preseason won't be good, but at least this didn't happen too close to the start of the season.

Posted by: Jooseppi | February 4, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Get better soon Danny! Your potential needs an opportunity to blossom young man. Keep your head up!

Posted by: DadRyan | February 4, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Who does knees for United? I doubt they are sending Danny to Dr. Andrews in Birmingham or any other high-profile athletic limbfixer.

Posted by: b18bolo | February 4, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Who does knees for United?
-------------------------------------------------------

I think that's DiRaimondo. Oh, wait, you mean, who surgically *fixes* them for United? Not sure.

Posted by: fischy | February 4, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Paging any available midfielders...

Posted by: redskinsux | February 4, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

maybe that German doctor who does the hernias??

Snowmageddon!!

Posted by: rockotodd | February 4, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Well in, fischy! Yeah, I guess DiRaimondo is about ABMOD's height (or lack thereof), and when you are about knee high yourself you can do a lot of damage to opponents' knees. But yes, I was asking about surgeons, not the guys who keep the surgeons in business.

Posted by: b18bolo | February 4, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

It's a meniscal tear, big whoop. These are bread and butter surgeries for any competent orthopod. A "super specialist" high profile type is completely unnecessary.

Recovery time depends on where and how much of the meniscus is torn.

Posted by: delantero | February 4, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Dadryan, you should invite Steztz biking up MacArthur toward Great Falls. It's perfect rehab for this stuff . . as he should be able to ride before running.

Posted by: delantero | February 4, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I have a good source that informed me that we could get significantly more than is currently being forecasted. We could be in for the heaviest snowfall in DC history.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | February 4, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Last I knew, Commonwealth Orthopaedics did knees for many pro teams in the area. Many of their members have served as team orthos for United, Redskins, etc.

Posted by: spata1 | February 4, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

This is ridiculous. Is a giant black cat terrorizing Washington? How else can DC and the Yanks be feeling this much hurt in the bad luck department?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 4, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I've seen college football have a meniscus tear and play 2 weeks after surgery. 4 Weeks would be a surprise to me. I slept at a Holiday Inn last night, but I believe the meniscus is basically a gasket for your knee cap.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | February 4, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

"a college football player"

Posted by: mbyrd28 | February 4, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gambrills4 |

I've heard the same....upwards of 3.5 ft. Maybe Danny boy should go to Abalama to see Dr Andrews??

Posted by: marksman37 | February 4, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

----------------------

--------------------------

It really depends on the condition of the meniscus and what is done to fix (I figured out how to do that) it. I had meniscal repair done, and the ortho allowed a nurse to assist him in stitching it down, after he cut away unrepairable tissue. Long story short: the nurse tied a stitch around the saphenous nerve. Very painful every time I curled my leg. I would have needed a new surgery to correct that, even if I didn't already have one scheduled to repair the ACL (first surgery was done without benefit of MRI, and without enough time to repair the torn ligament discovered in surgery).

If they just trim away some tissue, he could be running in a couple of days -- assuming not badly inflamed. If they try to save and repair the tissue, it could be more like two months...or something in between.

Posted by: fischy | February 4, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Snowpocalypse2:Snowmageddon Boogaloo...

Posted by: DadRyan | February 4, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

With all the snow coming you all should make sure to be on the look out for Jack Frost, the mutant killer snowman.

He's deadly I tell ya, just ask that one girl who played the foreign exchange student in American Pie.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 4, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

""ortho allowed a nurse to assist him in stitching it down, after he cut away unrepairable tissue. Long story short: the nurse tied a stitch around the saphenous nerve""

Please tell me you talked to the law firm of Dewey, Cheatem and Howe about this.

There's a reason nurses are nurses and MD's are MD's.

Posted by: delantero | February 4, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Ouch. Poor guy...
Any word on what exactly happened?

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | February 4, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

I think the recovery time is quicker for szurgery

Posted by: OWNTF | February 4, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

The worst case scenario is that the storm knocks out power and we can't watch the weekend matches or post comments about orthopaedic (Eurosnob) surgery and how that French model was boinking her way through the Chelsea starting 11.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 4, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Snowmaggedon--run for your lives. Szetela, limp for your life.

Posted by: lovinliberty | February 4, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Any word on what exactly happened?
Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals

Danny tore his meniscus on purpose to get out of practice. I've done it myself to get out of cutting the grass.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | February 4, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

This thread shows promise.

Coming this weekend: Snovechkin; KeyserSnoze; Snogasm

Danny: Heal quick. Szee you in the Szpring.

Posted by: JkR- | February 4, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

If we suffer any more injuries this early in the preseason, I'm going to extend an invitation for the team to come to Fort Benning to do Cross Fit with the Rangers. No jumping out of planes--mind you--just Cross Fit!

Posted by: dcarmy | February 4, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Commonwealth orthopedics is still the ortho practice and I believe Annunziata is the official team doctor. I know he did McTavish's knee surgery a few years ago. He's suppose to be pretty good, I have had Pettrone in the same practice do 3 of my knee surgeries and I think Vitek Jr. is there as well. It's a pretty highly rated practice with a could cadre of doc's.

Posted by: owendylan | February 4, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 4, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Apropos of nothing, except the release of the schedule. Next year, it's going to get even tougher. Not sure how they'll work out the schedule -- I doubt they'll play 34 games (balanced schedule). With 2 teams being added out west, I'm guessing Houston will be shifted into the East. The only possible good news there -- Dynamo are clearly in transition. Lost Holden and Clark, After this year, Onstad probably will push for a trade up to Vancouver. Ching's getting up in years, as are most of their best players. Something to ponder as this it looks as if United may once again be buried under a blizzard of bad news.

Posted by: fischy | February 4, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

a med student could do that surgery with one hand tied behind their back.

Posted by: castroviejo | February 5, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Thank goodness for Global Warming........otherwise this storm would be HUGE!!!
Wonder how ObamaCare would treat a miniscus tear?? Of course he is an "elite athlete" and we all know the rules are different for the beautiful people. Were there any bribes for the MLS union?

Posted by: marksman37 | February 5, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

It's Global Climate Change. Extremes of weather. Overall globe is getting warmer -- more so in Southern Hemisphere, but here, too. And, by the way, a snowstorm here and there doesn't mean temperatures aren't getting warmer. That's more to do with moisture -- El Nino.

Posted by: fischy | February 5, 2010 1:35 AM | Report abuse

ObamaCare would be better because it will put restrictions on health insurance companies that makes more money by denying care or payment.

Posted by: fischy | February 5, 2010 1:37 AM | Report abuse

Because Szetela prolly has pre-existing conditions, he prolly has been denied medical insurance. He will have to either repair the miniscus himself or just limp.

That said, I would think that Szetela would welcome some form of Obama care.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | February 5, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse

In summary, DC United's injury problems stem from global warming and voodoo economics. I still think Cross Fit would help...

Posted by: dcarmy | February 5, 2010 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Good thing I bought a 24 pack last night, this is depressing...

Posted by: wanker82 | February 5, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

First time long time from Ben Olsen country. Funniest thread ever. Keep it up. Have fun in the snow guys.

Posted by: AmishJim | February 5, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

I am glad to hear that he did not tear a ligament and hopefully there is not further damage. I think he should be back in about 6 weeks.

Posted by: no_recess | February 5, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

In an unrelated comment, can the picture of mwanaga be changed on the soccer/dc united page? Tired of seeing that smirk and the union fans..

Posted by: mizage | February 5, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse