Thursday kickaround

*Real Madrid legend Raul to the Red Bulls?

*Injured American Clint Dempsey might be back in a month.

*The Euro Champions League final in Madrid May 22 will be shown live on Fox -- not Fox Soccer Channel, but the Fox mothership. The match is being held on a Saturday for the first time, with kickoff at 2:45 p.m. ET.

*New England Revolution defender Kevin Alston has left U.S. national team camp because of a hamstring injury, the second time this winter he has had to withdraw. [Clarification: He never made to California for camp; he was injured Tuesday at Revs training.]

*The financially stricken National Soccer Hall of Fame is departing its Oneonta, N.Y., facility and moving permanent displays to various locations around the country. Those sites are to be determined in the coming months. The Hall has existed since 1950, settled in Oneonta in 1979 and been based at the current site for 11 years.

*The San Jose Earthquakes have signed Eduardo, a 29-year-old Brazilian forward most recently with Basel in Switzerland.

*Chivas USA forward Maicon Santos will be sidelined about six weeks with a knee injury.

*If the roads are passable, I will be at Comcast SportsNet for a studio appearance on "Washington Post Live," beginning at 5 p.m. ET, to talk soccer (and college basketball). The replay airs at 11:30 p.m.

For today's TV listings, go to the continuation of this post. But first.....

Highlights from Argentina's 2-1 victory over Jamaica, whose backline included Jermaine Taylor, whom we believe will begin a trial with D.C. United soon:

*Soccer on TV:
Spanish Cup, Santander-Atletico Madrid 4 p.m. ET, GolTV
Copa Libertadores, Nacional-Cuenca 4 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
Copa Libertadores, Estudiantes-Juan Aurich 6 p.m. FSE
Copa Libertadores, Blooming-Universitario 8:30 p.m. FSE

By Steve Goff  |  February 11, 2010; 9:27 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , Argentina , Euro Champions League , History , MLS , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Media reaction to Landon Donovan vs. Chelsea
Next: Weekend Soccer TV Listings

Comments

Dammit! I had always hoped the rumors about Raul coming to DC United were true...Raul will be awesome in the MLS, even at the Red Bulls.

Posted by: alan19 | February 11, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Am I really supposed to trust a report that claims that Raúl's full name is Raúl?

Posted by: Louise9 | February 11, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Ok, I read the Marca article...Big Apple has most of the details right.

Two things from Marca:
1) They call them "Los Red New York Red Bulls" :)
2) The Red Bulls could also have Paolo Maldini and Thierry Henry.

Raul makes perfect sense -- he can't play anywhere else in Spain after playing his entire career at Real Madrid. And there's another Spaniard on the team, don't forget (nope, I take that back. Celades retired. Who knew?).

Posted by: Reignking | February 11, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

surprised I didn't see a link to the continuing adventures of Sepp Blatter's foot and it's never-ending quest to end up in his mouth....

Posted by: asocrlovr | February 11, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Blatter said: "Listen, this is a special approach in the Anglo-Saxon countries. If this had happened in let's say Latin countries then I think he would have been applauded."

Well, that should help Latin American teams recruit players.

Posted by: Reignking | February 11, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Spaniards (or should I say Marca readers) are 54% in favor.

Posted by: Reignking | February 11, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

the news about the hall of fame closing down is sad. i am so glad i got to see the hall this past summer with my two boys...looks like we visited just in time!

Posted by: birdynumnum | February 11, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Next we are going to hear that NYRB is going to trade Angel for Beckham.

Posted by: TheJim1 | February 11, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Why do they get a big trophy for beating Jamaica? And, why isn't everyone getting on the AFA for scheduling friendlies against weak sides like Jamaica?

Posted by: fischy | February 11, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Never understood basing the Soccer Hall of Fame in Oneonta. I get the baseball HOF connection (Cooperstown is only 23 miles away) but I've been to Oneonta to see the HOF and it's a HORRIBLE place as a soccer destination.

I'm not sure I understand having multiple displays all over the country, but I'm glad it's leaving Oneonta.

Posted by: mmathai | February 11, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

fischy is right. Plus, why does Argentina (even their B or C team) need to come from behind to beat Jamaica? Argentina may have all the makings of a WC disappointment, except the high expectations.

Posted by: hungrypug | February 11, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Not exactly a hard news item, but SC Freiburg's new, 20 y.o. right back (and naural DM) Daniel Williams old yanks-abroad he'd consider the USMNT if the Germans don't come calling.

Posted by: fischy | February 11, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

What was I right about? A couple of disingenuous, sarcastic remarks?

Posted by: fischy | February 11, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

BigSoccer is going gaga over Daniel Williams because he has suddenly had a few starts in the Bundesliga.

Posted by: Reignking | February 11, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Why not build a new HOF in Cary, NC? Seems like a much more logical spot as a "soccer destination" than Oneonta, NY.

Or better yet, how about a joint HOF/Stadium in DC? :)

Posted by: DCUMD | February 11, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Seattle is a possible destination for the HOF.

Posted by: Reignking | February 11, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Seattle is a possible destination for the HOF.

Posted by: Reignking | February 11, 2010 10:55 AM

That would be fitting, what with Seattle being the birthplace of American soccer.

ha.

Posted by: VTUnited | February 11, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Did someone say "mothership"?

Make my funk the P.Funk
I want my funk uncut
Make my funk the P.Funk
I wants to get funked up.

Posted by: delantero | February 11, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Good for Fox to put the UCL final on the main channel in the USA. Now all they gotta do is add a "UEFA Champions League" tagline to the FOX Sports promo that's run before and after every major sporting event the channel broadcasts between now and May.

Posted by: Juan-John | February 11, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

@fischy, yes. what Maradona's team lacks in professionalism, they try to make up in passion. so a 3-foot trophy is a fitting reward for beating Jamaica in a friendly.

Posted by: hungrypug | February 11, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

The only thing good about Oneonta...Allagash Brewing.

Very cool that Fox is airing a soccer game. My fingers are dying to make a crack about conservatives hating soccer, but I'll leave that to others. Oh, well, I guess I did make a crack...:-)

Posted by: DrBeaker | February 11, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

ah, let the condescending professorial attitude begin! ;)

Posted by: nairbsod | February 11, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Interesting. "Allagash" always sounded Oregonian to me.

Posted by: Reignking | February 11, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Raul would be great, if not particularly flashy. He's score goals, though. Easy.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 11, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

On behalf of BaRRD, crippledkeeper and the few other conservative regulars on this blog, I am proud that European soccer will be broadcast live on the only network that is Fair and Balanced.

(That's a slow curve ball over the plate. Swing away, folks.)

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 11, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I just saw Max Bretos delivering an ESPN update. Yes, he now works for the mouse.

The good news is that FSC just became more watchable.

The bad news is that the World Cup just became less watchable.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 11, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

They should put the HOF in NYC or DC. It would get just as many vistors a year as the other HOF's because it will be the only one in a major city and tourist destination.

Can someone at the United try to get some stimulus money from Obama to build the HOF right here in DC.

Oh and I have been to the one in Onenota when I went to Cooperstown and it was horrible, I am surprised it lasted this long. Im guessing the permenant collections will end up at MLS stadiums this season.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | February 11, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I've said it before, if America cared at all about preserving its soccer heritage, RFK would be a very different place today. If Seattle wants to act as though 2009 was Year One and pick up the baton from there, who can blame them, and what's to stop them?

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | February 11, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

...I am proud that European soccer will be broadcast live on the only network that is Fair and Balanced.

(That's a slow curve ball over the plate. Swing away, folks.)

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 11, 2010

--------------------------

Too easy. What fun would that be?

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | February 11, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Chelsea have confirmed that left-back Ashley Cole will be sidelined for three months after fracturing his ankle, meaning the England international may miss the rest of the season in the build-up to the World Cup finals in South Africa.

Posted by: Reignking | February 11, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin can see UEFA from the Fox studios.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 11, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

... but she spelled it UFEA on her hand.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 11, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

His full name is Raul? OK...his full name is Raul Gonzalez Blanco. The credibility of this article is lacking.

Posted by: bigwave | February 11, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Hate to sound like a pusillanimous pr*ck, but Allagash Brewery is located in Portland. Mind you, not Portland, Oregon. Allagash's hometown is Portland, Maine.

Posted by: fischy | February 11, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | February 11, 2010 2:20 PM

Sorry, you're right (and you're a pr*ck:-). I meant Brewery Ommegang, not Allagash. And, yes, Ommegang isn't in Oneonta proper, but it's close enough for guv'mt work.

Posted by: DrBeaker | February 11, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

The good news is that FSC just became more watchable.

The bad news is that the World Cup just became less watchable.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 11, 2010 12:40 PM

It's really easy to drown that nimrod out with a vuvuzela.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 11, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

44 days until United's first match!

How about building a new Hall of Fame attached to United's new stadium?

Posted by: Curious99 | February 11, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

This time I've got real news. It seems Donovan broke Ashley Cole's ankle. He may be out 3 months. Let's hope that Donovan, Dempsey and Howard do not become marked men for the next 3 months.

Posted by: fischy | February 11, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Oops. Didn't see reignking's post with this news...

Posted by: fischy | February 11, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mmathai | February 11, 2010 10:24 AM
__________________________________________

The alleged connection between Cooperstown and baseball is, of course, totally fraudulent:

There is a historical connection between Oneonta and soccer, in that Hartwick and SUNY-Oneonta were both powerhouses in an earlier era, one in which there weren't separate DII and DIII national championships, and most large state universities and major conferences (with the possible exception of the ACC) weren't much into soccer, giving the Oneonta schools, SIU-Edwardsville, etc. a niche. More to the point, three decades ago, when proposals were being solicited for a permanent home for what started out as a collection of tchotkes in the basement of someone's home in Philadelphia, people in Oneonta stepped up, and hardly anyone else did:

Posted by: universityandpark | February 11, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

To say I was underwhelmed by the Soccer Hall when I visited in 2001 (Labor Day weekend, right before the 9/11 tragedy) would be an understatement. Of course, after spending a day and two nights in the glory that is Cooperstown, just about anything else would have been underwhelming for me.

At least it was close to the freeway...and I got a t-shirt too. :)

Allagash, as in "Good night Mrs. Allagash, wherever you are"? Oh wait...

...and finally, won't true c*ns*rv*t*v*s be outraged at the showing of a foreign sport on that all-American, patriotic bastion of Fairness and Balance, the Fox network? :) :) :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | February 11, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Actually when the HOF opened in 1979 Oneonta was quite close to the brewery for Billy Beer. Maybe that was it.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 11, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

hungrypug:

By that standard, Argentina will be given a trophy bigger than Maradona if they earn a single point in the World Cup.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 11, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse