Tuesday kickaround

*Another blizzard bearing down on the mid-Atlantic today? No worries. The WAGs of international soccer will warm your hearts in Sports Illustrated's "swimsuit" issue.

*Ruud Gullit will head the Netherlands-Belgium World Cup bid, while Indonesia's slim hopes continue to fade.

*UEFA has a new online look.

*The league schedule for the 12-team USL-NASL second division is set, with matches beginning April 10 and Crystal Palace Baltimore getting underway April 16 at UMBC Stadium against Tampa Bay. To limit travel expenses, clubs were divided into three geographical pods. Within its pod, each team will play the other three teams twice at home and twice away. Each team will also compete against the eight teams from the other two pods twice overall. And each club was paired with a team from a different pod for an additional home-and-away series.

*Americans abroad:

England, Wigan-Stoke City 5 p.m. FSC
Copa Libertadores, Universidad Catolica-Colon 5 p.m. FSE
Copa Libertadores, Lanus-Libertad 7:30 p.m. FSE
Copa Libertadores, Nacional-Once Caldas midnight FSE

By Steve Goff  |  February 9, 2010; 8:52 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , FIFA , Netherlands , TV , USA 2nd division
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United trialists in Bradenton
Next: Video: Landon Donovan's goals

Comments

Does anyone have FSC in HD yet? I have Fios and, as far as I can tell, we don't have it yet. Just curious since I see the "HD" on screen for their Premiere League games.

Posted by: nairbsod | February 9, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Quevilly is a new one to me. They play in a 12k stadium that they share with FC Rouen. Anyone know what division Quevilly is?

Posted by: Reignking | February 9, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Goff-

Any word on Namoff's status?

Posted by: redskinsux | February 9, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I thought that I saw FSC was going HD like March 1st? I thought I saw a commercial for it, and it'll be a new channel called Fox Soccer Plus. Actually, here is the link. Looks like it won't be the exact same programming as FSC, but will show a good amount of matches in HD.

Posted by: agenthiro | February 9, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I need a change of career, where can I apprentice as a body painter?

Posted by: delantero | February 9, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

@agenthiro: The new Fox Soccer Plus isn't going to replace FSC. It's going to be in addition to it. We're talking two HD channels of soccer. (and other sports from Setanta)

Now all I need is for FIOS to carry them, and I'll be quite happy.

Posted by: mmathai | February 9, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

seconded, mathai.....for those FIOS reps reading this.

Posted by: nairbsod | February 9, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Wait, so Fios doesn't have plans to add this to their lineup on 3/1?

Posted by: agenthiro | February 9, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, Steve, for the wonderful... ummm.... coverage of international soccer. Your indefatigable efforts are greatly appreciated.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 9, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

BTW, did Wife of Insider buy your excuse that you spent two hours on that site for work?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 9, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I hate Clint Dempsey...again.

Posted by: DrBeaker | February 9, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Absolutely "heart warming"! Thanks for the heads up Steve...

After losing my Comcast cable and internet for well over 36 hours this last weekend we may be switching to FIOS soon. I can live without the tv for a minute, but losing the internet is a drag.

Speaking of UEFA, I guess we should be thinking about tweaking our Argy Bargy Goff teams. Looks like you get 5 transfers going into the next round...

@redskinsux, I'm worried about Namoff. This could very well be another Dom. Mediate or Josh Gros situation. I'm normally pretty optimistic about guys being on the fast track from injury but it's a little disheartening to see he hasn't made a tweet since before Halloween.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 9, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Pod people in the house say "Aaaahhhh"!

Gullit's in charge of the Dutch bid. They must be smiling in England.

@Goff -- With two more international trialists for DCU, could you please update the international/domestic status of foreign-born DCU roster players? Also, can you confirm or deny rumors here that DCU had an extra international slot to trade? Those of us playing fantasy GM at home need to know so we can plan our fantasy cuts.

Posted by: fischy | February 9, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I hate Clint Dempsey...again.

Posted by: DrBeaker | February 9, 2010 10:00 AM
-------------------------------------------------------

I'm almost tempted to ask what the H you're talking about. Almost.

Posted by: fischy | February 9, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | February 9, 2010 10:04 AM

I'm concerned about Namoff, too. I posted last week that Onalfo's comment that he was "OK yesterday" (or something to that effect) means he wasn't OK 2-3 days before that. I'm guessing we've seen the last of Namoff as a player. I hate it for him and for United, but that's my suspicion.

As for the lack of Tweeting, perhaps he's just matured ;-)

Posted by: DrBeaker | February 9, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Whoops. My post wound up in wrong thread. Weird. Bethany Dempsey. I got it.

Posted by: fischy | February 9, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

How dare that lassie do that to a USA kit?!?

I'm outraged.

Posted by: fischy | February 9, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I am thinking John Terry doesn't get an invite to the Clancy-Crouch wedding.

Posted by: csd1 | February 9, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Crouch is a stud. Wow. And Dempsey has done very well for himself. Lucky, lucky boys.

Posted by: Matte | February 9, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Dempsey, teach me.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 9, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

46 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | February 9, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Any chance Holden gets into the match today?

Posted by: DadRyan | February 9, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | February 9, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

----------------------------------------

Apparently the fourth division:

Posted by: Josh86 | February 9, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Besides the cash scoring goals at Fulham has its other benefits:

Posted by: csd1 | February 9, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

The setup of the minor leagues makes my head hurt . . . wouldn't you think overachieving teams like Montreal and Puerto Rico would be in the top tier, with Charleston? And Rochester? And doesn't it seem like Charleston will play its season against many underweight opponents? Or is the idea of "tiers" in terms of quality out the window this year?

Posted by: fallschurch1 | February 9, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Parents in the US. Encourage your children to grow up and score lots of goals in Europe. It appears to be a pretty sure way to end up with good looking grandchildren.

Posted by: csd1 | February 9, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

And since the Timbers are going into MLS next year, you would not expect to see them in the "second division" of the minor leagues now, right??

Posted by: fallschurch1 | February 9, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Josh, that wiki article never popped up. I like their Riddler away jersey ;)

As I thought, they are using Rouen's stadium for the match. 4th division is one step up from their last opponent, Saumur.

Posted by: Reignking | February 9, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

As for the lack of Tweeting, perhaps he's just matured ;-)

Posted by: DrBeaker | February 9, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Not so fast with the maturity comment. Please read today's article about the Capitals marketing campaign that includes the use of Twitter. Leonsis is spot on with this and I think DC United should follow their lead. Get the youth involved and they will stay around. Rock the Red and Vamos United!

Posted by: Gambrills4 | February 9, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Remember that great Peter Crouch crack a couple years back when asked what he would be if he wasn't a footballer? "Probably a virgin."

Posted by: dccal | February 9, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Ugh. Put the electronics away. Or at least use them in moderation.
Marketing to children is already WAY OUT OF CONTROL, it's bad enough that so many "mature adults" are convinced they are setting a positive, responsible, example while texting, and talking on cell phones when operating their cars. Less marketing of anti-social gadgets to our youth and more soccer balls, bicycles, and skateboards please.
Just Sayin.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 9, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Dad,

I hear you and I agree to a certain extent. However, today's youth are the key to growing sports like hockey and soccer. To lose them is to lose the future of the respective sports.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | February 9, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Oh, hello Mrs. Dempsey!

And re: Ruud and their bid, that'll be the end of their chances

Posted by: Kev29 | February 9, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Nobody must have read the Indonesia story...their federations deputy secretary general (also part of FIFA's ethics committee, HA!) stated that FIFA confirmed the 2022 WC would be in ASIA!!! Stop the presses! Say WHAT??? Said who exactly?

Posted by: LAfanofSI | February 9, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

There is no way Ruud can pull this off by December...that lazy ass needs at least until 2016 to get his act together to pull this off for NED/BEL bid.

Posted by: LAfanofSI | February 9, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Gambrills, I hear you there too, I'm a little overly sensitive after seeing this film Consuming Kids.... Here's a link to the trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maeXjey_FGA
I agree that we need to encourage kids at all costs to live active lifestyles, I just don't know if that really needs to be done through viral marketing. Then again, as I mentioned we may be long past the tipping point and it might be a *if we can't beat, let's join them* resignation parents and educators will have to take. As much of a great marketing move, it is to go after the kids, I'm hoping my daughter's interests in sports come from something she's picked up from within our family, our traditions and passion. Not from something that is specifically designed to dazzle her into consumption.

Lord I hope she never becomes a Sounders fan...;)

Stay warm everyone! I hope all this winter will bring a pleasant spring and summer here in the mid-atlantic...
Snoverkill is right.