U.S. roster for El Salvador friendly

The 20-man list for Wednesday night's match in Tampa:

GOALKEEPERS: Troy Perkins (D.C. United), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake).
DEFENDERS: Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Clarence Goodson (IK Start), Chad Marshall (Columbus), Heath Pearce (Dallas), Marvell Wynne (Toronto).
MIDFIELDERS: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Geoff Cameron (Houston), Brad Davis (Houston), Brad Evans (Seattle), Eddie Gaven (Columbus), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Dax McCarty (Dallas), Chris Pontius (D.C. United), Robbie Rogers (Columbus).
FORWARDS: Conor Casey (Colorado), Brian Ching (Houston), Jeff Cunningham (Dallas), Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake).

GKs Kevin Hartman and Zach Thornton and Ds Omar Gonzalez and Michael Orozco were dropped.

Who should start?

By Steve Goff  |  February 20, 2010; 6:01 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS responds to players' comments
Next: Americans abroad

Comments

Orozco must have been horrendous in training if Wynne got picked over him.

Posted by: LovetheGoffer | February 20, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Interesting mix. Nine midfielders and five defenders (and, I know that Bradley sees Evans in defense...). Cameron must be first off the bench in central defense. Orozco and Gonzalez must not have looked very good.

Posted by: fischy | February 20, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Who should start? Don't make me give myself a headache.

Perkins

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 20, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't buy the Gonzalez and Orozco sucked in training argument for a minute. They should both be starting; we've seen what Wynne and Marshall have to offer. How painfully obvious is it becoming that he doesn't favor Hispanic players?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 20, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

It is not about being hispanic, it is about experience.

Orozco and Gonzalez haven't played for Bradley and Bradley probably feels that it is too late for them to compete for a spot in the World Cup so they don't get to play.

For better or worse, he is sticking with the guys he has used the past few years.

Posted by: jsanez | February 20, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

I cannot accurately comment of Orozco because I have not seen a lot of his play in the last couple years. Though, Omar Gonzalez did not look ready for the USMNT after just one MLS season. I think he has potential, but he is not ready for the national scene. Lets be happy Bradley has brought him in the past two camps giving the young kid great experience. I believe Bradley used this as an opportunity to get familiar with Omar, as the kid has great potential.

Looking at that squad I can only come up with the backline:

Perkins

Wynne-Marshall-Goodsen-Bornstein

I would imagine Beckerman, Rogers, Kljestan also start. Who knows about the rest. Do we go with a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1?

Wynne plays because they is no other right back. I'll enjoy his stunning technique and passing ability.

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 20, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

The starting goalie should be Rimando.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | February 20, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

I too am disappointed orozco and gonzalez aren't on the roster, but this is not an ordinary friendly. this is last call for fringe players to make the trip to south africa. if bradley knows he isn't going to take orozco and gonzalez, it was good of him to bring them into camp for the experience and to groom for the next cycle.

It's still odd to go into a match with only 5 defenders on the roster. and that list of forwards? I hope only ching goes to the WC.

Posted by: troy6 | February 20, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Party party party party party party..

Posted by: the_slammer | February 20, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Midfield should be:

Pontius-Beckerman-McCarty(jk)-Davis-Rogers

Posted by: spikeman | February 20, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

What kind of squad is El Salvador bringing? I'm not particularly confident in this squad's ability to get a result against the El Salvador we saw in the hexagonal.

Posted by: DEFPOTEC1 | February 20, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

same crummy squad form the last crummy game. bob will probably bring half these scrubs to holland too.

Posted by: ewww | February 20, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Omar Gonzalez and Michael Orozco were the only 2 players I was interested in seeing.

Posted by: csd1 | February 20, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

It is not about being hispanic, it is about experience.

Posted by: jsanez

So Bradley is really thinking about taking Eddie Gaven to the World Cup? Geoff Cameron has never played for Bob Bradley the past years.

Posted by: csd1 | February 20, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Stay classy Marquez! Nice pic of him trying to destroy the career of Spain's newest phenom / RM signing.

Posted by: Reignking | February 20, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

uhg eddie gaven...

Posted by: StewartDC8 | February 20, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Findley Ching
Davis Rogers
Kljestan Beckerman
Bornsetin Wynne
Marshall Goodson
Perkins

I am not saying that Beckerman should start, it's just that he will. Bradley must be envious of his long locks.

Posted by: no_recess | February 20, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love the player ratings from The Times in London:

Everton: Howard 7, P Neville 7, Heitinga 8, Distin 8, Baines 7, Bilyaletdinov 7 (Gosling 70min), Arteta 6, Osman 6, Pienaar 7 (Rodwell 88min), Donovan 8, Saha 6
Manchester United: Van Der Sar 5, G Neville 5, Brown 5, Evans 4, Evra 7, Valencia 6 (Owen 81min), Fletcher 6, Carrick 5, Park 5 (Obertan 66min), Rooney 6, Berbatov 6 (Scholes 66min)

I have a feeling Galaxy are going to be receiving a very nice offer to make sure Donovan stays put in England.

Posted by: Southeasterner | February 21, 2010 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Michael Bradley got his 1st two caps with several minutes in two sendoff matches (Venezuela/Latvia) in '06 while Gonzalez can't make a MLS best roster for Jan/Feb friendlies.

I never understood what M. Bradley was doing on the roster (and getting caps no less) during final World Cup preparations while I would not have minded if Gonzalez got a small taste of the future even though some MLS players are making their final push for a spot. But I'm not Bruce or Bob.

Oh well.

Posted by: LAfanofSI | February 21, 2010 2:54 AM | Report abuse

Isn't Geoff Cameron a fullback?

Posted by: DadRyan | February 21, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

My friend Gonzalo conceeded friday all Marquez has left is his long outlet passing and hair. He's even called him Roja Marquez without me saying it first, so this does not surprise me at all.

I'm pretty sure Geoff Cameron has played all 10 field positions for the Dynamo in some competition, and is likely their emergency goalie. Dude is all oveer the place.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 21, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Isn't this match supposed to be on ESPN Classic? My channel guide says ESPN Classic is planning to show classic boxing Wednesday night. Hmm...

Posted by: DCUMD | February 21, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

It's easier to say who I don't want to see:
Casey, Wynne, McCarty, Gaven and +/- Kljestan.

Posted by: delantero | February 21, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone else find it amusing that after all these years, Perkins and Rimando are still competing for a starting position?

Posted by: spata1 | February 21, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I can't read much into who's on and who's off this roster. Most of these guys ARE NOT going to Africa this summer.

It is POSSIBLE that Bradley has seen enough to keep Orosco in the pool and wants to see if he should keep others on or off the pool.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | February 21, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

34 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | February 21, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Same players for the friendly...is coach going to stress team shape on both sides of the ball, patience and simple play or will it be a reptition of the same old tactics of conservativism and let's not lose mentality. Surprise me Bob!

Posted by: juke2 | February 21, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | February 21, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I don't know whether this story (courtesy of Soccer America) has previously appeared on this blog:

Posted by: universityandpark | February 21, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Perkins

Evans-Goodson-Marshall-Bornstein

Pontius-Beckerman-Kljestan-Rogers

Findley-Ching

We need a good, confidence building showing against ES - plus these are the only players I see on the list with a chance of cracking the June roster.

Posted by: soccerman | February 21, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Southeasterner
==============

Maybem but David Moyes continues to be pessimistic about either extending Donovan's loan or getting a transfer.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 21, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

34 days until United's first match!
Posted by: Curious99

Don't forget the Carolina Challenge Cup. Nor the minor matter of the CBA troubles.

Posted by: KireDCU | February 21, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Curious don't count the Charleston Jaunt. I had a lot of fun going on the pub crawl last year, and then going to the Coffee Pot Cup match. Missed the TFC/RSL match because I was too busy getting turned inside out at the tailgate.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 21, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse