U.S. World Cup tuneup matches in works

We know that the U.S. national team will play two friendlies in late May before leaving for the World Cup in South Africa. We know both matches will be played at home, capping two weeks stateside for the 23-man roster.

What we've been eagerly awaiting are the identities of the opponents and venues (as well as the site of the domestic training camp).

The latest buzz is that the second game will be played at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia on Memorial Day weekend. Ireland and Turkey, among many others, have been suggested as the possible opponent, but I haven't heard any specifics recently.

As for the first match, I am told that the USSF is in negotiations to utilize Rentschler Field in East Hartford, Conn., and that the most likely foe is the Czech Republic. The Americans have made two previous visits to the 40,000-seat stadium: a qualifier in 2005 against Trinidad and Tobago and the final tuneup before the '06 World Cup, against Latvia. The Czechs, who routed the Americans in the '06 Cup opener, failed to qualify this time, finishing behind Slovakia and Slovenia (a U.S. opponent this summer).

Words of extreme caution: Nothing is official and plans could change, but it does seem the USSF is close to finalizing at least a portion of its pre-Cup plans soon.

For a look back at the tuneup matches before previous World Cups.....

1998
Tied Macedonia, 0-0, in San Jose
Defeated Kuwait, 2-0, in Portland
Tied Scotland, 0-0, in Washington
2002
Defeated Uruguay, 2-1, in Washington
Defeated Jamaica, 5-0, at Meadowlands, N.J.
Lost to Netherlands, 2-0, in Foxborough, Mass.
2006
Lost to Morocco, 1-0, in Nashville
Defeated Venezuela, 2-0, in Cleveland
Defeated Latvia, 1-0, in East Hartford, Conn.

By Steve Goff  |  February 16, 2010; 1:25 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tuesday kickaround
Next: Americans abroad & USA notes

Comments

That Scotland game in '98 was the most boring US game I've ever attended. It wasn't shocking to believe what later happened.

Posted by: sdb11281usa | February 16, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Ireland and the Czech Republic will be great tune ups.

Why Connecticut, again? Proximity to NYC?

Posted by: delantero | February 16, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Why Connecticut, again?

Inside job maybe? AEG runs that venue.

Posted by: csd1 | February 16, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

How about some quality opponents this time around? Looking at '98 I'm not too impressed... Ireland and Czech Republic sound like some fantastic competition to get things in line!

Posted by: rss317 | February 16, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Why not Red Bull Arena?

Posted by: timmy6 | February 16, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't appear that the Memorial Weekend opponent will be Ireland. http://www.rs.goal.com/en/news/89/africa/2010/02/14/1790826/algeria-to-face-ireland-in-dublin-on-may-29th

Posted by: fcbeast | February 16, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Looks like United will indeed engage Spanish media market. Bring on the party!

Posted by: inzzo79 | February 16, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Why not Red Bull Arena?

Posted by: timmy6 | February 16, 2010 2:03 PM

USSF probably wants 30k+ for these pretty high profile friendlies. Will they get that in Connecticut? We'll see.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 16, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Shucks, I'd go to Philly if they played Ireland. Bringing the bike on the Chinatown bus and slumming around for the weekend would be a blast.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 16, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

It looks like United

Posted by: inzzo79 | February 16, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Steve - no need to check in on how Jay DeMerit fared at QPR tonight - match has been postponed due to heavy rain in West London.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 16, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

ehh (cont.) will indeed engage the Spanish media markets. Bring on the fiesta!

Posted by: inzzo79 | February 16, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Philly on Mem Day soounds great....I could actually attend that. I managed to make it to Nashville in 06. A weak performance by our boys that day. A strong showing against a strong opponent is needed to step into a group we can win and advance from this time around.

Posted by: marksman37 | February 16, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

The Scotland game was the most boring game I've ever attended as well but mainly because it was held in the middle of the day in July!! It was the hottest day of the year. Nobody on the field could move because it was so freaking hot.

Posted by: culpeper-dcu-fan | February 16, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say "Ireland"?!

"Another head hangs lowly,
Child is slowly taken.
And the violence caused such silence,
Who are we mistaken?

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying..."

The Cranberries, "Zombie"

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 16, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Rentschler is actually somewhat easy to drive to - right off the highway. Unfortunately, there's no viable public transportation and the airport is a good 25+ miles away. :P

Posted by: Dynaformer | February 16, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Turkey play too similar of a European style. We should strive for the Mahgreb African countries like Morocco or Tunisia to prepare
for Algeria.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | February 16, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I should be asking this in the TV thread, but does anyone know what Channel ComcastsportsnetHD would be in Arlington on Comcast? The channel that I normally have caught CSNHD is showing some infomercial...
Regular Comcast will work though.. I guess.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 16, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

2010
Tied Czech Republic, 1-1, in East Hartford, CT
Defeated Ireland, 2-1, in Philadelphia

As we all remember, the USA narrowly advanced from the group stage by beating Algeria and drawing with Slovenia; defeated Germany in a stunning upset in the Round of 16; and suffered a heartbreaking, extra-time loss to Argentina in the Quarterfinals. :-)

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | February 16, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

channel 10

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 16, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't we be training and playing at altitude before heading down to SA? Czech Republic is a good opponent but just thinking we should be in Colorado or Salt Lake to prepare.

Posted by: LostinPotomac | February 16, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else see Ronaldinho roll the ball with his right foot back to his left heel to make that pass . . scary.

Posted by: delantero | February 16, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

USA will arrive in South Africa 12 days before first match -- plenty of time to acclimate

Posted by: Steve Goff | February 16, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Would you believe me if I told you Scholes is in my Argy Bargy squad...:)

Posted by: DadRyan | February 16, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

And what if I told you Rooney was my captain?

Posted by: DadRyan | February 16, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

No way Rooney climbs Gooch's back like that.

I keep waiting for Tyler and Gray to say something they do on the game. I will be so very giddy if they do.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 16, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

OT

Washington Freedom Signs Christie Welsh for 2010 Season

Posted by: OWNTF | February 16, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

And what if I told you Rooney was my captain?

Posted by: DadRyan

I quit?

Posted by: Reignking | February 16, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Dangit, I need to stop looking at Goff's tweets when I'm DVRing games.

Posted by: benonthehill | February 16, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Curse the snow. Our roof leaked into our family room causing $$$$ in damage, but more important forcing us to move out all of the furniture and unhook the TV. Someone please describe for me how beautiful Rooney's goals have been. Sigh.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | February 16, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Seedorf with the backheel megging...

Hope for Milan yet?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 16, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Ohhh Inzaghi could have tied it a minute later.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 16, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KireDCU | February 16, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Carrick's gonna miss the second leg...

Given a scond yellow for what looks like Evra's foul.

Game over. 3-2.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 16, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Woohoo! Called this Lyon upset.

Posted by: Reignking | February 16, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I meant Turkey, Turket is his little sister I think.

Posted by: KireDCU | February 16, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I was reeeeally hoping one of those friendlies was coming here. Atlanta Sports Council is really pushing to be part of the final bid.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 16, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 16, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't want to overegg the importance of the tune-ups, but the USA played craptastic opponents in '98 and '06, and got off to slow starts in both tourneys. '02 gave them some quality tuneup opponents and the USA hit the ground running in Asia. Maybe, that's the best lineup -- a couple of real tests sandwiched around one patsy. Gives the defense and the offense a chance to work things out.

Posted by: fischy | February 16, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

@Reignking,Don't quit! I've just noticed I'm not the only one who captained Rooney. I will help some folks out and mention that the website doesn't have the most accurate injury reports. I see some of you with guys on your teams that reportedly won't be playing tomorrow... Then again, I thought Benzema was going to start.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 16, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

BaRRD: Rooney's form is sick. His second goal was perfectly times, and perfectly finished. If he stays like this, our boys are in trouble in June.

BTW... I got a new computer, and I forgot my "joedoc" login info... so from now on I'm Rand-al-Thor.

And I killed Asmodeon.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 16, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

You never know with these teams -- even if they are all healthy, you don't who gets the start (although I have benched Alves).

Posted by: Reignking | February 16, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Late to the party but:

- The Scotland game in 98 was indeed boring. Wegerle clanged one off the crossbar for the only shot of the match.

- How hot was it? It was so hot that RFK concessions ran out of bottled water after the first match (WNT v NZ) of the double header.

- The WNT match was so horribly lopsided that after six goals, I applauded the NZ keeper whenever she made a save.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 16, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

BaRRD: Rooney's form is sick.
Posted by: Rand-al-Thor
=====

You're old enough that when you say "sick," you mean it literally, right?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 16, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I too remember the Scotland game. Most of us are bright red and that was not facepaint. And I was also not surprised at the results later in the year after that display.

Posted by: lrg1231 | February 17, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse