USA roster for Netherlands friendly

Bob Bradley's squad for Wednesday's match against the Netherlands at Amsterdam ArenA (2:30 p.m. ET, ESPN2 and Galavision):

GOALKEEPERS: Tim Howard (Everton), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton).
DEFENDERS: Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes), Jonathan Spector (West Ham), Clarence Goodson (Start), Jay DeMerit (Watford), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Heath Pearce (Dallas), Frank Simek (Sheffield Wednesday).
MIDFIELDERS: Landon Donovan (Everton), Michael Bradley (Moenchengladbach), Stuart Holden (Bolton), Jose Francisco Torres (Pachuca), Maurice Edu (Glasgow Rangers), DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers), Alejandro Bedoya (Orebro).
FORWARDS: Jozy Altidore (Hull City), Eddie Johnson (Aris), Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake).

Injured: Oguchi Onyewu, Charlie Davies, Clint Dempsey, Ricardo Clark, Steve Cherundolo, Benny Feilhaber.

No Freddy Adu, Kenny Cooper or Edgar Castillo.

By Steve Goff  |  February 25, 2010; 4:12 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS labor talks: another view
Next: No MLS strike, but no deal either

Comments

I wonder what this means for Ching.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | February 25, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Findley? Really, Bob? He showed nothing but speed and a poor touch last night. Happy to see Goodson and Pearce on the list - both looked like worrthy additions against El Salvador.

Posted by: soccerman | February 25, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I like. Would have liked to see Adu, but at least the competition has boiled down to Bedoya and Beasley (Please, let Beasley prove what he is now before we're stuck with only him and Rogers at the World Cup).

Plus, something tells me Johnson will impress more than Cunningham or Findley.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 25, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

That's a pretty darned interesting list.

Pearce gets to keep going. Beasley is back. Bedoya gets another chance to work with the big boys.

My only real desire is that somehow, sometime, Torres get a chance to play real minutes with the A squad and prove the value of his passing touch and vision in opening up the field and creating chances.

Posted by: scott47a | February 25, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Happy about Torres, Bedoya, and Pearce. Unhappy about Findley and the absences of Adu and Ching. Would be unhappy about the absences of Cooper and Castillo, but there doesn't seem to be a spot for them.

Posted by: troy6 | February 25, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

You see, BB is using Torres sparing because he's gonna be our secret weapon at the World Cup. No one will have enough tape of him playing to know much about his skill (and seriously, does anyone think teams will look at video of his club form when he doesn't play regularly for the Nats?).

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | February 25, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

"a chance to play real minutes with the A squad and prove the value of his passing touch and vision in opening up the field and creating chances"

Shucks, I'd go one further and say that I'd love to see a little deception in a free kick situation with him and Donovan. That free kick goal he had for Pachuca a little while back was sick. I don't mind Donovan taking them, but now that I've seen what Torres can do there, I'd love to see more of it. I doubt that Holland or any other side would be expecting it.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 25, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

CACuzcatlan, you and I are having similar thoughts...:)

Posted by: DadRyan | February 25, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

also, if you look at that list of 20 as a base, and figure that five of the injured will be back, Bob already has to drop two names. my suggestion would be to make Dempsey a forward and drop Findley and Beasley. we'd still need one more forward, so drop Simek and bring Ching.

Posted by: troy6 | February 25, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Castillo (maybe in place of Simek), but I think Bob nailed this otherwise.

Posted by: BooThisMan | February 25, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Really, Findley? Just makes me want to pray harder that Davies's mutant healing factor kicks it up another notch.

Posted by: crynyd | February 25, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what this means for Ching.
Posted by: mbyrd28

I wonder what this means for Casey.

Findley's getting a chance because he brings speed that no one else up front brings. You need different parts to make the team work.

Would love to see Johnson make Bradley's decision hard. And eager to see Edu.

Posted by: delantero | February 25, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Where's the Danny Williams whining?

Posted by: Reignking | February 25, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Donovan's off and Everton are losing 0-2 in the 80th. They need a goal to force extra time (Everton won the first leg 2-1).

Posted by: troy6 | February 25, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

To me, Alejandro Bedoya is to the midfield what Charlie Davies was to the forwards two-three years ago. Really excited about him.

I think if they chose to take 22 or 23, Adu makes it. Overall, I like this list. I certainly like Findley more than Cunningham or any other speed option not named Chuck Deezy.

Will they be wearing the new jerseys or is this gonna be the last game for the Anthracite ones?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 25, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Beasley?! Really?

BB: Coaching should be done in the present, not the past. It hurt us in 2006 and appears likely to do so again.

Posted by: carnack | February 25, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

No Ching? Gonna give Findley another chance to do nothing?

Posted by: SomeSoccerFan | February 25, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Why did Bradley feel the need to bring three GKs to Amsterdam? I know that it is a requirement for the WC roster, but the third goalie is irrelevant.

You would think that any of the absent players we are lamenting would make better use of that 20th spot than Marcus Hahnemann.

P.S. Per a previous thread from last week, yes I forgot to include Serie A in my list of European "superleagues" and assure you it was an oversight, not any slight of the Italian league ....

Posted by: jofij | February 25, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I think Bob Bradley is right on. We have a bunch of injured players with hopeful, but uncertain, return to form prior to the WC.

Likely we have some players thinking they've already booked their ticket.

Therefore, we need everyone in the pool to train and play like they have a shot at the Cup. Increased competition makes team better.

Posted by: delantero | February 25, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I can't imagine that Adu is going to go to SA if he's not even called in to this roster.

From everything I've read about his time at Aris, he's played just as well, if not better than Johnson. And has been doing a great job of tracking back defensively.

I really don't understand why Beasley and Findley are getting another shot.

Posted by: joe_hill | February 25, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

carnack: soccer-watching should be done in the present, not the past. Beasley's back on form with Rangers, if you pay attention...

Posted by: iammrben1 | February 25, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I like this roster, considering what BB is trying to find out. I'm a little surprised to see Findley given his knee problem, but I understand that BB might want to see what Findley can do with a better supporting cast. I'm guessing Ching is already going to SA, so long as he's healthy. Given that, there's probably no reason to bring him, other than to see that he gets continuing work with a looming MLS work stoppage.

I'm guessing he'll want to get a look at Simek, and another look at Bornstein against the big Dutch. That said, I expect the starting back four will be Spector, DeMerit, Goodson and Pearce, with Simek and Bornstein coming off the bench in the 2nd half.

Donovan and Beasley on the wings, with Bradley and, lets' say, Edu in the middle. See how those two work together.

I'd like to get a look at Hahnemann, but Howard could probably use a boost after the shellacking Everton just took.

Posted by: fischy | February 25, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Wait...DaMarcuNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Someone already said it, but Beasley, Bedoya, Findley are making up numbers until Onyewu, Feillhaber and Dempsey are back. Good to see Casey not make it, but I'm expecting Ching in the 23 at this point.

Anyone else willing to contribute to a fund to have a pretty young French girl rub cow placenta all over Charlie Davies elbow every night? Anything to get him back earlier, really...

Posted by: daandre3 | February 25, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

This squad shows how badly we need the injured players back before June

Posted by: Kev29 | February 25, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Dammit! No Zizzo? FU Bradley!

Posted by: Figgy | February 25, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm being serious when I ask this btw. Do you think that there is anything stopping the boys from visiting any coffee shops after the match? I mean, when in Rome...

Posted by: DadRyan | February 25, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

No joy this year for WAXTAP as they get knocked out by Fulham.

I've watched a fair amount of Mexican league soccer and I'm glad to see Bradley called in Torres for the game against the Dutch. He's looked quite solid linking play for Pachuca looking like Claudio Reyna did for the USMNT at his peak. I'm still not sure how Torres would fit into B Bradley's plans - I guess it could be either him or Feilhaber next to M Bradley unless the coach wants a destroyer like Clark or goes with a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 type lineup (then he might use 3 holding/defensive mids).

I've also seen Castillo several times. He is a liability on defense right now. In last week's game against America the Mexican announcers were noting how much his game has declined since he was a youngster at Santos a year or two ago.

At the beginning of this year I thought Castillo might deserve to challenge for a starting role at left back. After watching him he's clearly behind Bornstein, Pearce, Spector and maybe even Mark Burch. Castillo is still young and can fix his deficiencies or he can move to left mid where he has fewer defensive duties.

But he won't be ready for this World Cup.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 25, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan

Beas can be the tour guide.

Posted by: Reignking | February 25, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I was in amsterdam last summer, i'm sure they'll hit the red light district before they hit up the 'coffee shops' lol

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | February 25, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan

Yes, but when back from Rome, there's still drug testing.

Posted by: sec133row5 | February 25, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Johnson and Findley? Hmm. I don't like this at all. Adu outshining Johnson at Aris apparently didn't help his cause much. That forward roster blows. Johnson's hasn't done a thing with the national team in years. He scores one goal at Aris (all thanks to Adu), and now he's in a critical friendly with a chance to win a spot in South Africa.

I don't like BOTH bringing both Bornstein and Pearce. But I suppose, with Onyewu's absence, that Bocanegra will be in central defense and Bornstein and Pearce will probably both get 45 at left back. I can't imagine both those guys going to South Africa.

I don't know what to say about this. Bradley has his guys. Someone like Johnson gets yet another chance, but a guy like Cooper continues to get screwed.

Posted by: DEFPOTEC1 | February 25, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Does MLS actively test for Marijuana? FIFA? Again, I'd just assume that perhaps Bradley could turn his back for a minute after the game, especially if they play well...

Posted by: DadRyan | February 25, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BolivianDCFan

Cipro might fix that. And, be careful, not all the ladies are, well . . . ladies.

Posted by: delantero | February 26, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Eddie Johnson? Really? How do you call Eddie Johnson, who has no touch and doesn't even show his speed anymore, and not call Adu instead

Posted by: kevbalt | February 26, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Coach BB is shooting BBs...Eddie Johnson, 3 keepers, Beasley...wonder what Bob is thinking when the camera gets a close-up of him...he's tinkering instead of getting the squad picked and organizing team shape which happens to be an eye-sore.

Posted by: juke2 | February 26, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

DaMarcus Beasley...??? He offers nothing at this point. Might as well bring back Harkes & Wynalda and make it really interesting... Jay-Jay-Jay from the USA DeMerit is healthy again? Studs up Jay and two foot tackle hard son | The Dutch will be tough for that back line to track...
Should be a good test to take in though.

Posted by: Zipfutbol | February 26, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse