Video: Freddy Adu scores again

From today's Greek Cup match between Aris and Xanthi:

By Steve Goff  |  February 17, 2010; 10:05 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , Greece
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans abroad & USA notes
Next: MLS labor negotiations in trouble?

Comments

You sure Freddy got a touch on that? I couldn't tell from the replays, looked like it might have been an unfortunate own goal.

Posted by: edgeonyou | February 17, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Detractors will say he merely bundled it in, but he still has to make the right run at the right time, and that's no easy finish. Well in, Freddy. Keep it up.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | February 17, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

edgeonyou you beat me to it. It looked like an og to me. But credit to Freddy. He seems to have found his place in this team.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | February 17, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the highlight!

Edge: Adu definitely redirects that ball in (it's trajectory changes pretty clearly) with either his left foot or ankle.

Not a spectacular goal but most goals are not. Two goals in two games should mean his coach and teammates will be actively looking to him as a scoring option.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 17, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

You sure Freddy got a touch on that?

Posted by: edgeonyou

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Posted by: DCU_Rick | February 17, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

You blind? There were only about 20 replays that showed his slight touch on the ball. Not a great goal by any means, but still his goal.

Posted by: qthomas1 | February 17, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

That was a picture perfect ball into the box from his teammate - just over the defender's head, into Freddy's path, and far enough out from the goalie. And Freddy got the touch to make it count.

Posted by: paj18 | February 17, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Have you two given up your eyesight for lent? The angle looking at the face of the goal leaves no doubt.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | February 17, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I should say "not a spectacular FINISH" - the cross was excellent and Adu's ability to get open and onto the cross were also high quality.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 17, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

It looks like he got a touch. I tried to pause it right at the moment the ball hit and Freddy looks like he got a piece. Not pretty, but it shows the value of hustle.

Posted by: greifie | February 17, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

No can see the embedded video. Anyone got a URL?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 17, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Did someone say "eyes"?!

"I spend so much time
Believing all the lies
To keep the dream alive
Now it makes me sad
It makes me mad at truth
For loving what was you

Les yeux sans visage, eyes without a face
Les yeux sans visage, eyes without a face
Les yeux sans visage, eyes without a face
Got no human grace your eyes without a face..."

Billy Idol, "Eyes Without a Face"

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 17, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Good for Freddy, hopefully he can keep it up.

Posted by: ihillvt | February 17, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

So how good a league is this in Greece? Adu has had zero success going all the way back to MLS and suddenly he's playing and scoring a couple of goals. Perhaps the league is okay but he and EJ are playing the bottom feeders right now. Anyone? thoughts?

Posted by: euroman | February 17, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Nice goal by Freddy. He redirected the ball, there is no doubt about that. It would not have gone in had he not.

I'm sure the 300 people in attendance at the stadium were thrilled.

Posted by: Ron16 | February 17, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Doo doo doo doo doo
Doo
Doo doo doo doo doo
Doo doo doo doo doo
doo
doo doo doo doo.

CSN (and sometimes Y), "Suite Judy Blues Eyes"

(Sorry, ripe for the picking)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 17, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

glad he's getting back in form. hope it continues.

Posted by: nairbsod | February 17, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

"not a spectacular FINISH"

Hey, spectacular or no, at least he scored with the leg he intended to use to kick the ball. Adu should be in the CL.

Posted by: benonthehill | February 17, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I follow Adu quite well, but I've missed the last two goals. I've got to keep not paying attention to him on gamedays.

Posted by: Reignking | February 17, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Hope he can continue development and perhaps be an option for 2014 . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | February 17, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

in this thread: people that hate adu will find any reason to keep hating him

Posted by: joe_hill | February 17, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

To everyone saying it's not a spectacular finish: it doesn't matter. This will give him confidence and will help him play better going forward. Even if you don't like Freddy because of the hype, it's still nice to see Americans play well over seas.

Posted by: XPHiLtER | February 17, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I honestly don't see much hate here -- I think people are just pointing out what the goal was like (and I can't see it, so thanks).

Posted by: Reignking | February 17, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I've been a Freddy skeptic but would be thrilled to see him finally find something approaching the form that so many expected of him.

Keep it up, Freddy.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | February 17, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

it was unquestionably a goal by adu but was really spectacular was the service. brilliant!

Posted by: papple | February 17, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

c'mon - that goal is clearly anything but an own goal. the fact that people are willing to go to such lengths to discredit freddy is ridiculous.

as is saying that match was played in front of 300 people - the few shots of the crowd they show look packed and energetic.

people that have staked out a position that freddy is a bum are worried their e-reputations are going to take a serious hit if he proves them wrong.

Posted by: joe_hill | February 17, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't get too excited about Freddy coming back into Bradley's plans. It won't happen; Bradley and Freddy have no chemistry. Freddy should concentrate on his club career and forget about WC2K10. He's 20 and time is on his side.

Posted by: juke2 | February 17, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: juke2

They aren't trying to date.

Posted by: Reignking | February 17, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Looks like the video has been yanked, anyone have a link? Thanks.

Posted by: Kosh2 | February 17, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

2 goals. Both good solid finishes. But poor defending on both as well, it must be said. But I just hope he keeps on getting minutes and getting better.

Posted by: Matte | February 17, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure Bradely brought Adu along with him to the Confederations cup when he was riding pine at Monaco. If he is now consistently playing, starting, creating, defending, and scoring goals, hes going to SA. Period.

Posted by: strago | February 17, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

typo -- Bradley.

Posted by: strago | February 17, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Video still here. Nice striker's finish, redirected to the corner. Very encouraging. Terrific service, but it suggests his teammates have confidence in his ability to get behind the defense and get on such a ball. That's even more encouraging.

Posted by: fischy | February 17, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Dear haters,

If you take the name off the back of that jersey, you're probably complimenting the player for taking the touch out of the air, keeping it on frame and not directing it right at the keeper.

Give a little credit where it's due even if Adu has generally been a disappointment in recent memory. Fischy got it right - nice striker's finish.

Posted by: cjholden15 | February 17, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: euroman
------------------
actually, he was scoring at a heavy rate at Benfica, hugely overshadowing the other two young phenoms (DiMaria and Coentrao) who arrived at the same time. according to the new coach, however, who apparently lets his preconceived notions trump what his eyes see on the field, Americans don't understand European football and Freddy had to sit and learn.

Posted by: troy6 | February 17, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

that was a nice goal; try taking the ball out of the air one touch over your shoulder and redirecting on goal with a defender on your back in the mud. Jeez. Im not the biggest fan of Adu's mouth, but that was a good goal. I think it's too late for him to get in the mix for South Africa, though. Bradley just doesn't like him (neither does his dad).

Posted by: hacksaw | February 17, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

it was clearly Freddy's touch that sent it in, anyone who thinks it was an own goal needs to have their eyes or computer screens checked.

Posted by: Pete803 | February 17, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Totally agree with DCU_Rick's first comment.
Keep it rollin Freddy.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 17, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

greek league looks like my high school league ... freddy should try to get on a RACING, TENERIFE or ESPANYOL club ...

Posted by: liga1 | February 17, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Video is there. I just watched it. It took me a while to see the little 'go' triangle toward the top of the embedded image. Not where we're used to looking for it.

Posted by: seahawkdad | February 17, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't see any embedded video, fresh nor frozen, just a big white space (did they play in the snow?). Could anyone provide the link to the source?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 17, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

This took some work.
Is this what you're looking for?

Posted by: DadRyan | February 17, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure Bradley brought Adu along with him to the Confederations cup when he was riding pine at Monaco. If he is now consistently playing, starting, creating, defending, and scoring goals, hes going to SA. Period.

Posted by: strago | February 17, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

You know, I'd forgotten that, but it's true. Good point.

One could answer that Bradley also took Luis Robles and Marvell Wynne, who don't stand a whole lot of chance at making the WC, but for the most part, that was a full team. Freddy didn't actually play, but he was there.

Posted by: stancollins | February 17, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

@Matte -- You mention the poor defending. Isn't any goal, by definition, at least partly due to poor defending? Even on golazos from distance (why didn't the defender close him down?) or free kicks (why didn't the wall jump, or not jump, and why was the keeper leaning the wrong way?), you can always find some fault in the defense.

@euroman -- The Greek league is in the second tier of European leagues, roughly on par with Portugal and Russia, and not far behind France and Holland, in my opinion. It's certainly superior to MLS, as well as the Scandinavian leagues where several Americans Abroad are plying their trade.

Posted by: DEFPOTEC1 | February 17, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

OK. It's my work that blocking the video. Thanks for trying DadRyan, I'll take a look from home.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 17, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

really guys?

that's a great goal. i can see brian ching or rico clark or almost anyone else on the team totally botching that. i'm not saying send him to south africa, i'm just saying that's a really nice finish.

Posted by: pwcpat | February 17, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Adu starting to score (hell, even just starting to play) makes me so happy, given the crap he's had to endure since he was 17

Posted by: carmines757 | February 17, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Hilarious that I'm being called an Adu hater! If you trawl back through the last two year's posts, I'm one of the few who keeps saying that despite his other flaws, he is one of the few players with instant game-changing skills and should be on the MNT.

All I was saying was that on my 2x2 video screen, I couldn't see his touch on the ball. I guess if I bothered to full-screen it and run it multiple times, I would have seen it.

Yeesh!