Video: Jose Francisco Torres' Golazo!

The free kick by American midfielder Jose Francisco Torres comes at the 4:15 mark of the condensed video, courtesy of Pachuca's Web site. Unfortunately, the embedded version of that particular package is not working properly, so you will need to click here. Or take a look at the longer YouTube clip below, with Torres' goal coming at the 7:45 mark:

By Steve Goff  |  February 14, 2010; 4:52 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , Mexico
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans abroad
Next: U.S. World Cup squad taking shape

Comments

Gringo Suave,

Welcome back from injury. Hope you're brushing up on Afrikaans.

Posted by: GolazoDecatur | February 14, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I hurt my back just watching Torres' goal celebration (84th minute).

Posted by: delantero | February 14, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

fast forward to 4:14 mark. Golazo!!! awesome celebratory back somersault

Posted by: dinhki | February 14, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, but he just doesn't fit into our system.

Pause for laughter.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 14, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Kind of weird that Pachuca's third goal doesn't appear in the highlight reel.

Posted by: BooThisMan | February 14, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

American players need to be injured more often. I was under the impression that both Freddy Adu and Torres couldn't play due to injury this weekend.

So they both scored.

Torres is a good option for left footed freekicks and that could be a valuable talent for a player trying to make the USMNT (in a relatively well-stocked position) for the World Cup this summer.

Earlier today I posted that I thought Tigres-Monterrey was on Telemundo at 6 pm. I'm not sure if it's on TV at all but the kickoff is at 730 so it definitely won't be on before then.

NASCAR just had a very long delay at the Daytona 500. Musta been a demonstration of solidarity with those underpaid MLS guys during their CBA negotiations.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 14, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Dude, that was beauty. And the goal celebration was tons of fun too.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 14, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I remember when Fox Soccer Channel piped in bogus crowd noise. I'm sure the real crowd probably was pretty raucous at that game, but each goal had the same dude laughing in the exact same way. Great goal by Torres.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | February 14, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Good, we need players to push LD for taking those kicks...as if Torres will make the pitch!

Posted by: Reignking | February 14, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

"Bend It Like Torres," starring Ralph Macchio.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 14, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

nice goal. I forgot what grass looks like

Posted by: knape1 | February 14, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

@mbyrd28 regarding the dude with the amazingly consistent and annoying laugh. I noticed the same thing. Weird. Especially since he seemed to give that laugh no matter which team scored.

If you're gonna slap on fake audio, why include that dude and his hyena laugh?

Posted by: WorldCup | February 14, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mbyrd28 | February 14, 2010 6:15 PM
--------------------------------------------------

Y'know -- I was wondering last week, if they've stopped. I noticed that the Everton-Chelsea highlights on FSC seemed to have actual crowd noise, and it surprised me. Have they really stopped running the canned crowd noise?

Posted by: fischy | February 14, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Yo, Argy Bargy starts up again on Tuesday, so get your transfers and tweaks in if you're still interested. Personally stoked on the high probability of being able to watch the ManU/AC Milan game liveand in HD on Comcastsportsnet.
Cheers.
And sweet goal Paco! Keep it up! I'd love to see you get a chance on with a little deception one of these days.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 14, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the Fox Soccer Report, here's a gripe: I understand that the channel is invested in promoting English football first, and Italian soccer next. That's probably a function of both their ratings and what the pay to televise those games. And, I realize that other channels (Gol, and now ESPN have relationships with La Liga.

So, I understand and generally expect the Soccer Report to lead off with English action, which is often followed by Scottish highlights (I guess there are a lot of Scottish transplants watching?). After the first break, they cover Italian games. Only then, do the check in with French, and then German and Spanish results.

That said, I think it's silly not to have led off last night with Atletico Madrid's 2-1 conquest of Barca. Without a doubt, that was the big story in world football, and a darn sight more compelling than FA Cup highlights. If FSR is serious about being the soccer version of Sportscenter -- the place to turn to in order to follow the sport -- then, they need to break from their routine to recognize the big stories of the day.

Posted by: fischy | February 15, 2010 1:20 AM | Report abuse

Not in Bradley's sights. Torres doesn't pound the ball up field for the chase. He's too technical for Bob.

Posted by: juke2 | February 15, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Gringo Torres......

Posted by: DCUSince96 | February 15, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

This is off topic and a bit late but I remembered that Eric Wynalda was a soccer consultant and coach for the movie The Game of Their Lives in 2005. John Harkes was in that movie. If you are Eric Wynalda do you think you would want to have anything to do with that movie knowing Harkesie was going to be in it?

Posted by: GeneWells | February 15, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

That's Racist!

Posted by: DadRyan | February 15, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Is the word 'Gringo' racist? Correct me if I'm wrong but the word Gringo means forigner. OK, but the word seems harsher than simply describing somebody not from Mexico.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | February 15, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

The common usage of "Gringo" does refer specifically to white foreigners. Its origin is not particularly racist, but anti-interventionist. It was inspired by the unwelcome presence of US Marines in Latin America in the early 20th Century ("green go").

In Torres' case, clearly it's a bit sarcastic, and one would hope, affectionate.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | February 15, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Specifically, "Gringo" comes from a song sung by Irish soldiers during the Mexican-American War of 1845-6 "Green Grows the Lilacs (or Holly or Laurel). These particular Irish had gone over to the Mexican side (didn't want to fight fellow Catholics) and sang this song around the campfire. Mexicans picked out "Green Grows" and turned it into "Gringo."

Posted by: b18bolo | February 15, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

@Godfather_of_Goals "It was inspired by the unwelcome presence of US Marines in Latin America in the early 20th Century ("green go")."

"Gringo" is a Spanish word meaning 'foreigner' or someone who does not speak Spanish well that existed long before the early 20th century or even the US war with Mexico in 1848. See for example the Diccionario Castellano of 1787.

Still, not a compliment in Mexico to be called one.

Posted by: AlwaysBiking | February 15, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I was joking. The Gringo horse has been beaten into a bloody pulp just like Gene"X Files"Wells likability on this blog. As Founding Father around here, I endorse not giving a crap about player hating Mexicans calling Torres whatever they want. I only hope some day he can bury one of those free kicks at Estadio Azteca while wearing the US jersey.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 15, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

DadRyan - relevant much?

Posted by: GeneWells | February 15, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Are you relevant much jerk off? I mean who's coming on here and going completely off topic with stupid conspiracy theories?

Posted by: DadRyan | February 15, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Don;t mention "Green Grows" around DadRyan.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 15, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

They call him a gringo no fewer than 3 times. Pretty funny.

Posted by: Conservativemindsareinshackles | February 15, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Whoa DadRyan, better double up on the meds!

Posted by: GeneWells | February 15, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Says the delusional John Harkesie lover/stalker.
Do us a favor and either go FOAD or at least STFU about Wynalda/Harkes unless it's actually a RELEVANT thread topic.
It's bad enough when it's warranted, completely unbearable when not.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 15, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

And, on a more topical topic...

Presidents who played soccer:
Barack Obama
George H.W. Bush

Them's all I got.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 15, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I'll bite Gene - the simplest answer to your question would be money. Wynalda's playing career was long over by 2005, and its not like American soccer stars are paid like NBA/NFL/MLB players.

Posted by: VTUnited | February 15, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

The first La Liga MNF (Monday Night Football) is today at 3...a "battle" of two islands teams.

Posted by: Reignking | February 15, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Boarder Cross Qualies on NBC in HD right now. Looks like a lot of fun. How many presidents have we had who can snowboard?

Posted by: DadRyan | February 15, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Edgar Castillo plays with "Gringo" Castro at Tigres. The story with Castro is that, as a kid, his schoolmates knew he was a bit of a foreigner (I believe his parents are from Spain) and mistakenly called him Gringo and the nickname stuck.

Gringo, in Mexican slang, refers to Americans. It's not really an insult.

I've heard that it goes all the way back to Greeks arriving in Spain after the fall of Constantinople. The GRIEGOS sounded kind of funny to most Spaniards and the term morphed at some point into Gringo.

Whether you choose to be insulted or not is your own prerogative. Some folks have other priorities.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 15, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

The mexican "insult" for the white americans is "gabacho." If they truly sought to insult Torres, they would choose that, or perhaps worse, "pocho.".

Gringo is often used affectionately by many in latin america. It is all in the tone. In families where some generations/cousins are born over here (mine included), the US-born folks are often called gringo, too. It is more like a nickname.

Posted by: ErickSp8 | February 16, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse