Wednesday kickaround

snowmiser.jpg
Today's blizzard brings another 8-10 inches of snow and 40-mph winds to Insider global headquarters. I'm beginning to think the soccer gods have conspired with Snow Miser (stepbrother of Heat Miser) to protest the absence of an MLS collective bargaining agreement. The D.C. United stadium fiasco has just made them angrier.

While I toss another log onto the roaring fire, you should know that:

*Charlie Davies had successful elbow surgery. Take a look at the scar.

*Americans abroad:
MF Landon Donovan, GK Tim Howard for Everton vs. Chelsea
F Jozy Altidore and Hull City at Blackburn
GK Marcus Hahnemann and Wolves vs. Spurs
GKs Brad Friedel, Brad Guzan for Aston Villa vs. Manchester United
D Jonathan Spector and West Ham vs. Birmingham
Fs Eddie Johnson, Freddy Adu for Aris at Xanthi Skoda in Greek Cup

*Soccer on TV:
England, Aston Villa-Manchester United 2:30 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
England, Arsenal-Liverpool 2:40 p.m. Setanta
Copa Libertadores, Banfield-Morelia 4:30 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
England, Wolves-Spurs 5 p.m. FSC
Copa Libertadores, Sao Paulo-Monterrey 6:30 p.m. FSE
Copa Libertadores, Velez Sarsfield-Cruzeiro midnight FSE

*Watch the Aris match live right now (10 a.m. ET kickoff). Yup, that's Adu in the starting XI for yellow-and-black Aris. (The streaming video comes and goes.)

By Steve Goff  |  February 10, 2010; 10:08 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , TV , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans abroad, Tuesday edition
Next: D.C. United's travel adventure

Comments

We had snow flurries in Atlanta. I need to get to the store for bread, milk, and TP!

Posted by: Reignking | February 10, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Snow Miser looks like Clinton.

Posted by: LostinPotomac | February 10, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I guess the good news is that if the power stays on we can all watch the big Villa-ManU game.

Posted by: fedssocr | February 10, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I thought it was "Freeze Miser" aka "Mr. Snow".

German Cup, 1PM, ESPN360.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | February 10, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Here's another TV link for the Aris match:

Posted by: addick | February 10, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I know all you FSC having folks couldn't care less, but I did notice that Comcastsportsnet is scheduled to air the AC Milan/ Manchester United Champion's League match live and in HD next Tuesday!

Argy Bargy!

Posted by: DadRyan | February 10, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

This global warming thing is going to freeze us all to death. Snow in winter? Who knew.

LostinPotomac, I'm still laughing. Well in.

Gotta get my 2 pm conference call done so I can catch the start of the Man U - Villa game. Ought to be a good one.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 10, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Wish you hadn't found the link. It's frustrating to watch. But watch I will...

I used to love playing soccer in the pouring rain and on muddy pitches. However, when it comes to watching such matches, not so much.

Posted by: paj18 | February 10, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

To all those who think MLS should play the same schedule as Euro teams do please look outside.

Posted by: AllYouNeedIsHops | February 10, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Heat Miser - great band! Where are our lyrics people when we need them?

I keep wishing that Setanta would just stream these games for free now that they're closing up shop in the States...one can hope, right?

Posted by: eadc | February 10, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

OMG. Adu started today. End of the world, next.

Posted by: Reignking | February 10, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Adu is out on the left, as is normal, but seems to be playing a defensive role. Odd, but he's had some nice touches and feeds to the attacking players. I haven't seen the opponents make a legitimate attack yet.

Posted by: troy6 | February 10, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Oh good God! the moment I typed the preceding post, the opponent went and scored. Well, I never claimed to be clairvoyant.

Posted by: troy6 | February 10, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Heat Miser - great band! Where are our lyrics people when we need them?

Posted by: eadc | February 10, 2010 11:12 AM
================

Sorry, eadc, I don't know a thing about Heat Miser, so no lyrics from me today!

- Joe Doc

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 10, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Johnson to the rescue! Who'd a thunk it?

(no, he didn't score; he's just entering the game)

Posted by: troy6 | February 10, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

EJ in.

Posted by: Reignking | February 10, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

where's the advantage?? Eddie would have scored!

Posted by: rockotodd | February 10, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Adu out.

Posted by: Reignking | February 10, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

That's one sorry looking pitch. Really ugly to watch, but not as bad as a pre-2010 RBNY match (well, we hope).

Posted by: Modibo | February 10, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Some great quotes in here, such as investing in football is dumb, there should be a wage cap, etc...

Posted by: Reignking | February 10, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I hate to say it, but that field might be a good candidate for FieldTurf.

Posted by: IceNutz | February 10, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

45 days until United's first match.

Anybody have a red ball?

Posted by: Curious99 | February 10, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure the Chelsea scouts were duly impressed.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | February 10, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

"While I toss another log onto the roaring fire"

Nice line. Treble entendre?

Posted by: Curious99 | February 10, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

The Aris manager sure does a lot of stretching. It's that, or he can't stop throwing up his arms in disgust. EJ showing signs of life, but seems to always find himself offside. Given the crap conditions and small crowd, I wonder if EJ is missing the MLS.

Posted by: bartapest1 | February 10, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

The wind blowing the snow outside looks almost like billowing surf.

Charlie Davis has an impressively long scar along that arm. I wonder if he'll be able to take some wicked corkscrewing throw-ins when he's finished with rehab.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 10, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Aris scores w/ 20 seconds left to tie it.

Posted by: Reignking | February 10, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Did EJ set that up w/the header off the post?

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | February 10, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Aris' star right back, Brazilian Darcy D. Neto, puts the ball in the net to salvage a 1-1 draw for his relegation fodder of a side on a play begun with a free kick. Shame EJ wasn't in on that one. A few MLS clubs could use Neto's talent.

Posted by: bartapest1 | February 10, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Neto finds the net at 94 minutes.

Posted by: bartapest1 | February 10, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Joe Doc:

It was Elliot Smith's band before he went solo, but Neil Gust shared the songwriting duties. Like Uncle Tupelo before Wilco / Son Volt, if you will.

Mic City Sons is a good start.

Oh, right, soccer...sorry. Any word from DC United or USMNT training?

Posted by: eadc | February 10, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Didn't get to catch the stream, but my coworker who watched it said that Freddy looked pretty good. Held the ball up well and actually managed to track back on defense and hold up play. He's normally very critical of Adu, so I'll take his word on it.

Posted by: Ol_Brob | February 10, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Missed the stream, any one wanna give me a little post-game comments?

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 10, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Nice link Stevo. I'm guessing that was an illegal stream, but thanks anyway. Johnson didnt look too bad in the last 20min.

Posted by: alespar415 | February 10, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Should have a high in the mid-70's here in So-Cal this weekend.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 10, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

FSC HD is alive !!!! It's on Dish Network now. Ya digg?!?

Posted by: Charisma_Man | February 10, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

OMG. Adu started today. End of the world, next.

Posted by: Reignking | February 10, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

----------------------------------------

For those of us in DC right now, that seems like less of a joke and more of a weather forecast.

Posted by: Kenobi | February 10, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Donovan corner kick to Saha for a goal.

Posted by: davemcl | February 10, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Donovan draws penalty, Saha's attempt saved.

Posted by: davemcl | February 10, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse