Weekend TV listings

What are you going to watch?
SATURDAY

SUNDAY
England, Spurs-Everton 8 a.m. Setanta
Netherlands, PSV Eindhoven-Waalwijk 8:30 a.m. ESPN Deportes
England Carling Cup final, Aston Villa-Manchester United 10 a.m. Setanta

England, Liverpool-Blackburn 10 a.m. FSC
Spain, Villarreal-Coruna 11 a.m. ESPN Deportes
Spain, Valladolid-Mallorca 11 a.m. DirecTV (456)
Spain, Gijon-Osasuna 11 a.m. DirecTV (457)
Spain, Santander-Almeria 11 a.m. DirecTV (458)
Germany, Bayern Munich-Hamburg 11:30 a.m. GolTV
England, Sunderland-Fulham noon FSC
Spain, Sevilla-Bilbao 1 p.m. ESPN Deportes
Mexico, Toluca-Indios 1 p.m. Telemundo
Italy, Juventus-Palermo 2:30 p.m. FSC
Spain, Atletico Madrid-Valencia 3 p.m. GolTV
France, PSG-Marseille 3 p.m. Setanta
Italy, AC Milan-Atalanta 5 p.m. FSC
Argentina, Independiente-Racing 5 p.m. FSE
Mexico, Puebla-Jaguares 5 p.m. ESPN Deportes
Brazil, Santos-Corinthians 5 p.m. GolTV Premiere
Mexico, Tecos-America 6 p.m. Telefutura

By Steve Goff  |  February 25, 2010; 10:03 PM ET
Categories:  TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: No MLS strike, but no deal either
Next: Netherlands roster for USA friendly

Comments

John Terry v. Wayne Bridge would be fun, if it wasn't so early in the morning. (No DVR or VCR in my household.)

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | February 25, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

57 Channels and there's nothing on. Only the Chelsea-ManCity tilt on Saturday and the Carling Cup on Sunday hold any interest for me. Wish I didn't have to try to scan the net to watch the latter game on a 'feed'. Fox Soccer Plus, where are you?

Posted by: fischy | February 25, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm going down to Richmond on Saturday to check out the North American Hand Made Bike Show. Some of the finest builders of frames and parts from around the world will be converging in Dixie...

Any of you bike heads out there should really consider checking it out. Should be pretty amazing, think more polished stainless steel, and less carbon fiber.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 25, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to watch Setanta all day on Sunday. I might even shed a tear that afternoon when their final live match ends. Yeah, I'm pathetic

And fischy, don't hold your breath for FS+ if you have Comcast. It's going to be awhile/never. Hopefully they'll get that content on foxsoccer.tv - my $15 a month in Setanta money might be going that way.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 25, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

"pretty amazing, think more polished stainless steel, and less carbon fiber"

First "real" bike was a Waterford built Paramount OS, made in Wisconsin. Sweet ride, and I am kicking myself for selling it for quick cash a decade ago.

I currently have a tank of a Tommasso with nicely crowned steel lugs.

Have fun, and leave your coin behind or you might not afford those United tix this season . .

Posted by: delantero | February 26, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

"Sweet ride, and I am kicking myself for selling it for quick cash a decade ago."

You could be talking about a woman you probably shouldn't have let go...;)
I luckily don't have any cash to blow, but I am hoping to source the right person to repair and restore an early 90's Eisentraut frame that's been sadly sitting in storage for the last 5 years. I cracked the head tube slamming into a fat jay walking woman who stepped off the curb into my path just as I was whizzing by... Hope to either find someone semi local, but affordability and a desire to match the quality of the original build would be nice.

I'd love to get it fixed, repainted and restore it to it's old glory.
I'll take lots of photos I'm sure.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 26, 2010 12:49 AM | Report abuse

The Olympic Semifinals Hockey games ....Friday at 3pm on NBC USA v Finland then 7pm Slovakia v Canada on CNBC. Then {hopefully} on Sun at 3pm we get US v Canada on NBC.

Posted by: marksman37 | February 26, 2010 3:21 AM | Report abuse

I love ESPN's broadcast of Premier League matches. I'm always up early for those matches.

Other than watching Adebayour and Tevez run circles around JT, I'll be working on a research paper all weekend with some Olympics mixed in. This slate of games is weak, especially in England. There are some good Italian matchups.

Whatever happened to ESPN's TWO soccer games per weekend?

Posted by: wanker82 | February 26, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

I'll be there. Its going to be bike-a-licious!!

The news on CBA negotiations is a little more encouraging than expected. There will obviously not be a regular season without a new agreement, but the fact that the two sides are willing to negotiate up to that point says a lot about the good intentions. Lets hope the middle ground can be found.

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | February 26, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Comcast really irks me.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | February 26, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

When did this turn into a bilke making thread? It's supposed to be a labor law and constitutional rights thread.

Nice Boss reference fischy.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 26, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Correct me if I am wrong but Ade's 4 match ban in the FA Cup will start this weekend.

Posted by: peridigm | February 26, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Portsmouth officially in administration. Shocking, I know.

Posted by: Reignking | February 26, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I hope that if W. Bridge does something awesome, he has had someone photo-shop him with Terry's wife onto a shirt he can show

too bad I'm going to miss it to play table tennis all day

Posted by: SexyOffender | February 26, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

"I'll be there. Its going to be bike-a-licious!!"

If you see a dude with a United jersey on, it might be me, my Dude... Holler.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 26, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I am definitely tuning in the for the pregame of the Man City - Chelsea match, and to watch the Villans win the Carling Cup on Sunday.

By the way, I was in England last weekend and saw West Ham v Hull City and Aston Villa v Burnley...aside from Jozy's ridiculous flop in the 2nd half and the slight stench of fear about me as I walked around East London...amazing. Completely different environment than any other sporting events I've been to, definitely on par with college football in the south and better than anything else I've ever been to.

Posted by: daandre3 | February 26, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Chelsea-City, Stoke-Gunners, Bayern Munich-Hamburg, Sunderland-Fulham.

Plus Olympic hockey.

Wife's out of town 'til Sunday night!

Posted by: soccerman | February 26, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Not sure what I'll get to watch. I'm coaching a bunch (3 times on Saturday and 1 on Sunday).

Posted by: jmingus | February 26, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Saturday's a good day to take the kids to one of the local ski hills while the snow is still unusually good and I doubt I'll even bother to DVR anything. I don't usually miss not having Setanta and didn't think I would before it disappeared, but Sunday morning's line up looks good. That being said, I doubt I'll go as far as fiddling with poor quality internet feeds all morning to see either game.

Posted by: assocfoot | February 26, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

wambach just scored. USA 1-0 against Norway. still in first half.

Posted by: troy6 | February 26, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

DCU's simultaneous friendlies going on. Looks like the scoring draught has at least subsided:

Posted by: DadRyan | February 26, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Friday at 3pm on NBC USA v Finland
marksman37

Ice-Soccer will be my main focus this weekend, using comp time today so I can watch.

VAMOS UNITED States!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | February 26, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

@Dad -- I realize DCU is doing the split squad thing (who the heck is Morsink?), but today's efforts aren't very convincing so far. A 3-2 lead going into halftime against the U-17s? Other MLS teams blew the kids out. I believe 2 goals is more than the U17s have scored against other teams combined (Hamid and Burse have each allowed a goal).

Even the twitter guy messed up. He decides to call the U17 game "Game 1" and the FGCU game "Game 2", then immediately mixes that up in lineups and updates.

Posted by: fischy | February 26, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

any way to view the Old Firm on Sunday besides streaming on-line?

Posted by: paul63 | February 26, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I'm down with some Ice-Soccer. Where can we watch that?

Posted by: fischy | February 26, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I'm stoked for the Arsenal game.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 26, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Got the 411 -- Kurt Morsink. Another KC castoff for Onalfo...cut by the Wizards earlier in the week. 2007 draft pick. D-Mid.

Posted by: fischy | February 26, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

fisch: it's on NBC at 3:00. I'm holding a closed door staff meeting in my office from 3 to 5. many important things to discuss (like, is offside in hockey the same as in soccer?).

Posted by: troy6 | February 26, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Twitter feed is going to make my head explode. "Seesmic" can't keep his Game 1 and Game 2 straight. Tried to correct it and is now really confusing himself and anyone trying to follow.

Posted by: fischy | February 26, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

any way to view the Old Firm on Sunday besides streaming on-line?

Posted by: paul63 | February 26, 2010 11:03 AM

Should still be available via your local Celtic or Rangers closed-circuit pub (if you have a local Celtic or Rangers closed-circuit pub). Usually $20 to get in.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 26, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

rangers fans gather at summers every weekend...presumably they get it.

Posted by: troy6 | February 26, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

1-1 in the Algarve.

Posted by: troy6 | February 26, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Rangers v Celtic Sun 7:30 a.m.; now that's a dArby!!!

FSC showed the fixture once last year on dalay.

Kinda irkitates me to know FCS could show it but chooses not to.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | February 26, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

just like the men, wnt scores in stoppage time for a 2-1 win! wambach got her second!

Posted by: troy6 | February 26, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Please let Bridge take out his frustrations on Terry's anterior cruciate ligament.

Posted by: JRandomReader | February 26, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Thanks troy6

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 26, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Anybody know where I can get OLD United scarves? I have one with 3 stars, would like one with 2 and one with 1 star.

Any other place other than United's web store to get hats? United store only has 1 ugly hat.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | February 26, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

@9Nine9 -- Drinking and typing don't mix.

Posted by: fischy | February 26, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

@fischy, I think the Pink Cows lost to U-17's last year, soooo...
I wasn't really "following" the twitter as it was pretty spotty, but I was interested to see the starting line ups, and figured it was worth noting to the sky is falling crowd that some goals were being scored. More interested in getting a feeling that Jakovic is stepping into a leadership role in the back, and Castillo getting busy with corners and free kicks.

Vamos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | February 26, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I;ll drnik ot taht.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 26, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Back on the Ativan, 270?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 26, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Where is Steven?

Is he currently behind closed doors as the lead in the arbitration between MLS and MLSPA?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | February 26, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

@Dad -- I'm really looking forward to a first look at Castillo with DCU. I realize these games are really just practice, but since you brought it up: U17s were a better team last year, loaded with McInerney, Gil, Herold, Polak and Agudelo among others. Don't know who played against the Cows, but I'd bet it was a better lineup than DCU faced. We didn't even get the first team, as they whipped up on Mexico in a USA doubleheader Wed. night. Anyway, I'm sure it'll turn out OK, since Ashton is probably coming back with Ronaldo....

Posted by: fischy | February 26, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I missed this -- Kamani Hill loaned to a 2nd division Portuguese squad (Aves).

Posted by: Reignking | February 26, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I missed this -- Kamani Hill loaned to a 2nd division Portuguese squad (Aves).

Posted by: Reignking
--------------------
that's good news. he was brought in as a project and was training and playing with Guimaraes' reserves. apparently, he has done well enough to warrant a loan out to get first team minutes. Aves is close enough that they can monitor his progress easily.

Posted by: troy6 | February 26, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

From another soccer blog that mist not be named:

"Stefan Frei and Milos Kocic teamed up to keep the clean sheet for TFC."

Glad to see Milos is getting a shot with another team, but can TFC afford to give 2 international slots to goalies?

Posted by: fischy | February 26, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Whew!

ESPN hasn't posted one thing on the MLS labor issue on the front page, but thank God they are keeping up with the real important stories:

Father of new Florida QB has prostate cancer

Posted by: Reignking | February 26, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

@Reignking,

Well it's important news to Gator Nation - that kid is heir to the throne of the Messiah!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | February 26, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

*crickets*

It's like everyone in internetland took the day off today.

Posted by: Reignking | February 26, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

ESPN article on Joe Gaetjens.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 26, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

These Finns are freaking toast!

Posted by: DadRyan | February 26, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I'll be watching the Real game Saturday...probably inbetween special agent oso (he's oso special!) and team umizoomi. Sunday i guess i'll have to find an online feed, Everton is my new mandatory game of the week. And then then maybe the Valencia-Atleti game too.

Any chance Holden plays this weekend?

Posted by: Brian76 | February 26, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Nice article, 270.

I learned that St. Louis is highly overrated for soccer; therefore, I don't think they should get an expansion team soon....say, before Atlanta.

Posted by: Reignking | February 26, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

USA 6 Finland 0 after one period of play! WOW! Simply amazing!

Posted by: Gambrills4 | February 26, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

They are finnished.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | February 26, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

So are we beating the crap out of a Scandinavian team or not?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 26, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

At the start of the tournament I thought Team USA was a medal threat. However, they are much better than I tought they were. They have gelled very nicely as the tournament has evolved.

Posted by: croftonpost | February 26, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

So are we beating the crap out of a Scandinavian team or not?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 26, 2010 3:56 PM

:-D

Posted by: Kev29 | February 26, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

They have gelled very nicely as the tournament has evolved.

Posted by: croftonpost | February 26, 2010 3:59 PM |
----------------------------------------------------

Evolution is a lie.

Posted by: fischy | February 26, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

The Fins are looking to apply the Mercy Rule.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 26, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Is Finland part of Denmark?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 26, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

How much time left in that game?

Posted by: Reignking | February 26, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

We don't look this convincing against Barbados in soccer...

Great link, 270. Thanks for that.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 26, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Reignking,

5:00 left in the second

------------------

They have gelled very nicely as the tournament has evolved.

Posted by: croftonpost | February 26, 2010 3:59 PM |
----------------------------------------------------

Evolution is a lie.

Posted by: fischy | February 26, 2010 4:07 PM

Huh?

Posted by: blackandred777 | February 26, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

So are we beating the crap out of a Scandinavian team or not?

Posted by: I-270Exit1

Isn't Scandinavia known for its dingleberries?

Posted by: Senor_Funk | February 26, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

fischy is from Kansas.

Posted by: Reignking | February 26, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

@Brian76, you must be a newish dad eh? Up to date on your Niktoddlertoons for sure. My daughter shares the same name with one of the Oomi Zoomi... I too have been doing a pretty good job of trying to catch the Everton match days.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 26, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

@blackandred -- It was a bit of political humor.

Posted by: fischy | February 26, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

keep your politics out of my swedish meatballs and dingleberries!

Posted by: DadRyan | February 26, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Europa Leauge parings, round of 16

Fulham gets Juve

Posted by: Reignking | February 26, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SportzNut21 | February 26, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Headline: "Fulham Steals Game, Gets Sent to Juve"

Posted by: troy6 | February 26, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Surely someone posted this earlier this week!

The referee who alleged he was sexually harassed by the former German Football Association's refereeing advisor Manfred Amerell has spoken of his anguish.

Posted by: Reignking | February 26, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Thanks SportzNut21

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 26, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

forgive the pedantic exclamation, but:

wtf, UEFA? Benfica doesn't play at "estadio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica." They play at ESTADIO DA LUZ!

Posted by: troy6 | February 26, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

@SportsNut -- That is so racist! Swedes are a race, right? I'm putting Sesame Street on notice!

Posted by: fischy | February 26, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

@fischy: BORK BORK BORK!

Posted by: SportzNut21 | February 26, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

To go with the Gaetjens piece, here's a view from the other side (thanks to Soccer America for the link):

Posted by: universityandpark | February 26, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Tim Howard and Landon Donovan represent a Scandinavian land, the Vikings having first settled the area that evolved (yes, evolved) into Liverpool and environs.

Posted by: universityandpark | February 26, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

The 2010 Winter Olympics are in Scandinavia.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 27, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse