MLS news & notes, GolTV in HD, 90 for Bedoya

*MLS Commissioner Don Garber will be in Toronto on Tuesday to announce that MLS Cup will be played at BMO Field.

*Following up on the Insider's report last night that Seattle was interested in Pat Noonan, the veteran attacker joined the club at training today, a club spokesman confirmed.

*Dallas defender Kyle Davies will miss six to eight weeks after suffering an ulna fracture and radius dislocation in his right arm in a collision Saturday against Houston.

*Until the listings were fixed this afternoon, the new MLS Web site, which appears to have been launched three weeks months years prematurely, had the kickoff times for this week's matches as:

RSL at Houston, Friday at 2 a.m.
Chivas USA at Los Angeles, Friday, 4 a.m.
Chicago at Colorado, Saturday at 9 p.m. (plausible but wrong)
New England at D.C. United, Sunday at 12:30 a.m.
New York at Seattle, Sunday at 3 a.m.

Yes, I am piling on. I accept my yellow card. But MLS deserves to see red and a multigame suspension for this fiasco. Players, as well as fans and media, have been grumbling about it. Hopefully, we will see vast improvement soon.

Much more.....

*According to Elias Sports Bureau via D.C. United, four of the nine youngest players to start an MLS match did it in a DCU uniform: Freddy Adu (14), Santino Quaranta (16), Bobby Convey (16) and Andy Najar (17). Adu was the youngest by a wide margin, followed by Nikolas Besagno, Eddie Gaven, Quaranta, Jozy Altidore, Fuad Ibrahim, Convey, Craig Capano and Najar.

*GolTV will be offered in high definition starting Aug. 1, the network announced. It will be a "full simulcast of the GolTV standard definition channel." Whether your cable or satellite provider picks it up right away is another question. Audio will be upgraded to Dolby AC3 -- Ray Hudson can't wait!

*American midfielder Alejandro Bedoya played the full in Orebro's 2-0 home loss to Mjaellby.

Happy Passover.....

By Steve Goff  |  March 29, 2010; 3:28 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , D.C. United , MLS , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clyde Simms out 4-6 weeks
Next: Early Tuesday kickaround

Comments

"I accept a yellow card."

It's a professional foul.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 29, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking forward to watching FSC and GolTV in HD on Comcast in the next 40 to 50 years!

Posted by: Kev29 | March 29, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I want to know when Ray Hudson is going to get carded. I have that channel on mute constantly.

Posted by: jhgodfrey1 | March 29, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I agree re the MLS site. I went to the player roster section, but it was incomplete, which I found weird.

Wasn't SI's Jonah Freedman working on that?

Posted by: EssEff | March 29, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

*DC Council Chair Vincent Gray is expected to announce that he is running against Mayor Adrian Fenty in the upcoming Mayoral primary. Brian Davis, business partner of Victor MacFarlane when MacFarlane bought into DC United, is married to Gray's cousin.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | March 29, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Yep, all times are precisely 5 hours in the future compared to what they should be. Looks like some programmer forgot to make sure the stored values for time were displayed in EST instead of GMT. It's really something that should have been caught in QC.

(Though EDT is -4 and not -5... hmmm)

Posted by: Cidolfas | March 29, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Orebor - the mining fraternity

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 29, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Orebro - the mining fraternity

Makes more sense with the wright spelling.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 29, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

@Kev29 and Other Comcast Sufferers,

FSC HD looks like it's tracking for a May launch on the service with FS+ to come along in Standard Def.

Straight from the horses mouth!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 29, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

horses = horse's

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 29, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Gray should campaign at RFK as Fenty is so beloved by the black and red faithful. Campaign slogans: Remember 10/29/2006! Remember Poplar Point!

Posted by: croftonpost | March 29, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

MLS website is currently showing every game last weekend ended with a score of - and 0 in attendance (maybe it was all just a bad dream DCU fans):

If anyone finds the Direct Kick schedule on the "enhanced" site can you let me know where to find it?

Posted by: csd1 | March 29, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Next year in a new stadium?
freddie B

Posted by: kaynfred53 | March 29, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

MLS website is currently showing the score of the DC United vs KC Wizards game as a 4-0 KC win. Oh wait......

Posted by: timmy6 | March 29, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

who would've thought the MLS website would be programmed by Eurosnobs!

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | March 29, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if Fox Soccer plus (the HD version of FSC) is shown on any of the local cable networks (Comcast/Verizon/Cox)? Soon we will two Soccer Specific HD channels that none of us can see.

Posted by: tcbannon | March 29, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the scoop, VBB!

Posted by: Kev29 | March 29, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tcbannon | March 29, 2010 4:24 PM

Fox Soccer Plus is not the HD version of FSC. FSC HD is the pretty picture version of the original channel.

Fox Soccer Plus is essentially FSC 2. Different programming, different live matches. It's apparently offered in HD as well, but I don't know where/or by whom?

Posted by: Kev29 | March 29, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

@EssEff

Yes, Freedman is a part of it, but Greg Lalas is actually in charge. That should explain a lot of why things are so screwed up.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | March 29, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

"I accept a yellow card."
It's a professional foul.
Posted by: I-270Exit1

Well in that case, I'll take a straight red and a 2 game suspension. That MLS site is horrible.

No up to date scores, no lineups, The DC UNITED page is a blank error message . . well, if the shoe fits.

Posted by: delantero | March 29, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

@Kev29 and Other Comcast Sufferers,

Straight from the horses mouth!

Any news on FIOS?

Posted by: soccerman | March 29, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Any info about Fox Soccer channel changes on RCN?

I can't understand why MLS wouldn't at least leave MLSNet up in its current form until the bugs are worked out with the new site. The old site may not have been as fancy, but at least it worked.

Posted by: Kenobi | March 29, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Terrible website. You shouldn't have to search for standings and scores, they should be one of the first visible features. Seems like they are caught up in multimedia f3atures rather than functionality.

Posted by: nico78 | March 29, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

MLS: We know our site sux right now and are working on it.

Posted by: Juan-John1 | March 29, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

@soccerman,

Sorry, I'm not doing any FiOS groundwork until they run the fiber to my house!

But in all honesty, from what I can tell through other channels is that FiOS will probably make in addition of FSC HD in-line with Comcast and their complete Xfinity launch/re-branding to get more money for the same product....Ooops, I wasn't supposed to say that!

I'll shut my mouth (some) about my displeasure with Comcast should they become a league/club sponsor (I'm looking at you blank Union shirts!)

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 29, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

It's Örebro. With an "Ö." Nice town, with a castle right in the middle of downtown and a nice brand-new stadium. That we, maybe, can.... steal or something.

Posted by: big_spaniel | March 29, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it's not a screwup and MLS is instead following a Seth Blatter recommendation to increase attendance...

Posted by: rademaar | March 29, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

"I want to know when Ray Hudson is going to get carded."

It's just bizarre that a guy who deserves at least some kudos for enthusiasm alone gets as much flak from viewers as Ray does. You wanna see someone who seriously doesn't deserve to be within 500 miles of a soccer broadcast booth? Watch Kenn "Prince Valium" Tomasch call a game sometime -- he's drier than Death Valley and duller than warm string cheese!

Posted by: WorldCitizen1 | March 29, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

And all you DC people are spoiled and get GolTV with Fios. I usually have to find a bar to watch GolTV games here if Flagstaff. Then I don't get sound and I don't get Hudson. Its a terrible situation......

Posted by: grubbsbl | March 29, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I've said this before. If you have digital cable and you're a sports fan it's complete nirvana. There's a channel for almost every sport out there.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 29, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Well the good news is that Comcastsportsnet look to be broadcasting one of the Champions League matches tomorrow live and in HD. Wonder which one it'll be?...

they'll also be replaying Man-U/Bolton and sandwiching in their little CL preview show.

Get your Argy Bargy sides straightened out. 6 free transfers...

Sure would be nice if MLS could get their stats data out there already so the dudes at mfls could let everyone know where they stand in the table...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 29, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

"While I find Ray Hudson's use of adjectives questionable; I absolutely love watching games with him. He provides half the entertainment. I do not understand all the hating."

The commentator bashing within the soccer community is just sort of bizarre and over the top. I don't get it, but people seem to really get caught up in the whole thing. It's just kind of weird to me.

Posted by: BChris | March 29, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

TimeWarner in NC has GolTV, but not sure if we'll ever get FSC HD.

Posted by: alecw81 | March 29, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

So no MLS Fantasy on the official website this year, fair enough. With all the other issues with the new website, this is small potatoes. But be careful with ESPN's MLS Fantasy, if you act now, you could start Christain Gomez, Steve Ralston, Darren Huckerby, Danny Szetela, Avery John, and Kevin Hartman.

Posted by: jojosbo | March 29, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Nice that Gol will be in high def.

Not nice that Dish Network doesn't carry it.

Dish claims to have FSC HD. It doesn't.

Maybe it's time for Direct TV.

Posted by: seahawkdad | March 29, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Ray Hudson is truly majestic, a breath of fresh troposphere wafting through me mums Sunday kitchen along w/the Shepards pie & Guiness zephyrs. Hudson brings a nonpareil child like gaiety to the beautiful game.. a moxie with a dash of ardor and pizzazz that really can't be put in to confabulation or even colluquy. I simply luv it - its great crack laddy!

Posted by: Zipfutbol | March 29, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

I notice that the Prez is going to throw out the first pitch for the Nats opener.

Can't United get the first soccer mom to kick the first ball at our opener Saturday?

Posted by: seahawkdad | March 29, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | March 29, 2010 5:55 PM

Are you being facetious cause you know it's a Premier League club - or genuinely asking :-)

Man U - Bayern Munich on CSN tomorrow
Barcelona - Arsenal on CSN next week

Posted by: Kev29 | March 29, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Fischy, the directors (?) of Pelada were on Fox Football Fone In today. Looks like a great flick.

Posted by: delantero | March 29, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

TV Shmee Vee -- I don't have cable/fios/satellite/whatnot. Just whatever I can pluck off the internets.

Dadryan, you doin' this?

Posted by: edgeonyou | March 29, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Before singling out the MLS website, I just looked as ESPN Soccernet's boxscore for the DCU-KC game. Wow, I didn't know Christian Gomez and David Habarugira started for DCU, with Josh Wicks and Lawson Vaughn on the bench.

To paraphrase Casey Stengel: "Can't anyone here properly code a website?"

Posted by: griffin1108 | March 29, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------------------------

All the really good soccer sites use GMT. If MLS is going to capture the international audience, it's going to have to adapt. Oh...and get several hundred players that are better than the ones we've got now...

I can't wait. I'm sure I can figure out the GMT thing eventually -- though it does get especially confusing when we start daylight's savings time several weeks before Europe....

@delantero -- thanks for the ads up. I'll catch the rerun...

If you put Ray Hudson on mute, you lack the testicular fortitude that this maestro of the microphone exposes with his thrusting thesarus, his matchless magisterial musings...ah, who am I kidding? What zipfutbol said....

Posted by: fischy | March 29, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

KaaaRaaayyyzeeeeIst moment of the night: Me loving what both fischy and zipfutbol said... Seriously Powerball tickets are in order tomorrow. Both you mofos best grab some.

@Kev29,
I was being serious when I was asking. CSN seemed pretty informative and accurate with what they were going to broadcast last round, and in all honesty is Lyon/Bordeaux not as intriguing as the two matches you've mentioned being picked up? Some fantastic players on both of those "french" sides, no?

@edgeonyou,
I'm actually going to be down in Raleigh this weekend. Really hoping to find a spot that women love to go on dates AND has Direct Kick so I can watch the game on Saturday evening...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 29, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

you doing that though edge?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 29, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know where I can find the injury report and the game casts on the new MLS site? Even after buying their webcast package (no Seattle/Philly, no Toronto/Cbus, no Dallas/Houston) you can get play by play actions but no lineups.

BTW, it really sucks for those of us in Canada that they don't show ESPN games on the web version, we don't have a choice to get DirectKick either, how are we supposed to be fans of this league if we can't even watch most games?

TIA