Algeria stumbles at home

If you're feeling down about the USA's 2-1 loss to the Netherlands, the motion pictures of first-round Cup opponent Algeria getting thumped at home by Serbia, 3-0, will surely cheer you up. The keeper has a howler on the first goal. For Algerian supporters, however, the event trumped the result.

By Steve Goff  |  March 4, 2010; 12:19 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Africa
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA quotes and video
Next: Holden sidelined with leg injury

Comments

I'm way more worried about Slovenia, personally.

Posted by: BooThisMan | March 4, 2010 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Algeria must really be hurting with goalie Chaouchi's suspension. I read that he's already been left off the team for SA, but I haven't heard anything about Belhadj's appeal. Is there any update yet?

I'm waiting to see what happens with Gooch, Dempsey and Davies, but I'm starting believe the USA has a good chance at advancing.

I'm glad we don't have to face Serbia. They're seriously good.

Posted by: fischy | March 4, 2010 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Holden's leg is broken. Don't tell me Goff got caught lighting garbage cans on fire last night...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 4, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

where did you read his leg was broken?

I'm not completely surprised. holden's body language last night was not one of someone disappointed to have to leave a match, but heartbreak that his season and World Cup dreams were crushed.

Posted by: troy6 | March 4, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

just saw it. six weeks, eh? possibly training by mid-April and fit by mid-May? that's cutting it a bit close, but it is possible he could go to South Africa.

Posted by: troy6 | March 4, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Awesome, the EPL is trying to be like America (and Holland):

Plans for a play-off for England's fourth Champions League place appear to be dead after Premier League chairmen voted against the proposal on Thursday.

Posted by: Reignking | March 4, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

troy, it was hard to be optimistic watching Holden leave the field and sit there with his head in his hands on the bench. the replays were pretty bad as well. Just happy it wasn't as bad as A. Ramsey's break the other day. Hopefully Stu can make it back quickly. I guess the silver lining in there is that Bolton look to be trying to extend his contract. Pretty cool for a guy who's only started a couple games AND just got injured.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 4, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

That really hurts his chances to stay with Bolton, too. Which might not be a bad thing :)

Posted by: Reignking | March 4, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

That London Times article is awful. I feel like I'm reading a Dickens novel, not a newspaper article.

Posted by: Reignking | March 4, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Reignking, have you read the quotes elsewhere that Bolton's manager wants to extend his loan regardless of the injury? Again don't want to link to a rival blog, but it's over there plain as day.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 4, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

******
My I am getting old. I was thinking how well-written,thoughtful, and thought-provoking it was. Sigh.

Wonder if Wdwrd & Brnstn cld uncvr H2Og8 2day?

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | March 4, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

That London Times article is awful....
************

Really?? I though it accurately summed up a dull game.

Posted by: mizage | March 4, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

we should crush Algeria. period. no excuses.

Posted by: SadieV | March 4, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

As I recall, Algeria played some decent ball in the African Cup of Nations.

Slovenia has looked solid, too.

We have to assume that these teams will bring their best game to the World Cup Finals.

USA must do the same. Holland made our attack look uninspired and disjointed (before the game opened up post-subs). We were also a turnover machine. Hopefully, this can be attributed to the quality of the opponent.

On a positve note, our D was well organized against a superior opponent. We just need to mark a little tighter, and eliminate the mental errors.

I also feel that sometimes we defend too deep in our own end. We then have to rely on blocked shots and great goalkeeping. This compact defending worked in the Confed Cup against Spain. However, if you do too much of your defending in the final third, your prone to give up PKs or goals off deflections.

Posted by: footiefan101 | March 4, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

i especially like the look on that algerian lady's face after croatia scored the 3rd goal.

Posted by: alespar415 | March 4, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Second goal could easily have been called offside. There were two and maybe even three Serbians in an offside position when the ball was struck by the scorer, and one of them right in the path of where the ball went by the keeper' might well have obscured the keeper's view of the inward-bound ball.

Posted by: DCUSince96 | March 4, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse