Beckham's career in jeopardy?

beckhaminjury.jpgSuperstar David Beckham apparently ruptured his left Achilles' tendon Sunday in an AC Milan match, dashing his hopes of playing in the World Cup for England this summer and jeopardizing his career in MLS.

Milan officials said Beckham, 34, will miss five to six months after surgery, which is scheduled for Monday with a specialist in Finland.

"David realized straightaway what had happened," Milan Coach Leonardo said. "He understood that it was a serious problem and he said so immediately. It's such a great shame. He's a great lad who makes a huge contribution to the team."

The injury occurred late in Milan's 1-0 victory over Chievo Verona. Beckham had possession of the ball and, after shifting his weight, reached for his foot. Beckham is scheduled to return to Los Angeles this summer for his fourth season with the Galaxy.

Not a certain choice for England's World Cup squad, Beckham was hoping to make a strong impression on Fabio Capello in the final two months of Milan's Serie A schedule.

By Steve Goff  |  March 14, 2010; 8:02 PM ET
Categories:  Beckham , Italy , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Messi 3, Valencia 0
Next: Monday kickaround

Comments

Wow. Thoughts on what this means for MLS willingness to sell LD on a transfer to Everton if the other Gals star is now MIA? Any impact on MLS players union and approach to possible strike, with reminder that players' careers can end in one moment?

Posted by: jofij | March 14, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

really sucks for the guy. I was pulling for him to make the English squad. He did everything possible to make that happen.

Arena is going to hold on to Donovan for dear life.

Posted by: Beckster1 | March 14, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I will be purely selfish for a minute and observe this: at least he didn't injure himself in the US. If he had, we'd never hear the end of it from the British press.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | March 14, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

The United States should benefit from having him out of the WC.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | March 14, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

I suppose this also spells the end of BSPN, yes? Unless he does a clothing commercial. (Snark)

Posted by: KireDCU | March 14, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Beckham should still be able to return by the end of the season according to the timeline. Would he even think it's worth it at this point? He'll be too old for Euro 2012 and may just retire? I don't see the MLS cup as enough of a goal for him.

Posted by: dukestreetkid | March 14, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Out for the Serie A seaon, the World Cup, and most (all?) of the MLS season. A blow for Beckham and sponsors around the world.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 14, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

My heart goes out to him. He must be devastated..I just hope he can recover and give us all the pleasure of his skill for a while longer, and give himself the opportunity to stop playing on his own terms.
Get better soon David

Posted by: londonboy | March 14, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

bad karma for leaving MLS... should have stayed in MLS, where he'd be relaxing in training camp right now as Arena rests the veterans for a long MLS season.

Posted by: hendrix | March 14, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Hendrix:

Yes, "relaxing" in MLS is how soccer players achieve greatness. Smart observation.....jackass.

Posted by: jhgodfrey1 | March 14, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hendrix | March 14, 2010 9:08 PM

Ahh yes, the incoherent scribblings of the Beckham haters. Serves him right for trying to make the World Cup. Of course, if he had stayed in MLS year round, he also never would have made it to South Africa. And oh, I'm sure MLS executives are giddy at the face of the league likely out for the season - with an injury that's extremely hard to come back from. You know, cause they won't need to sell tickets after a possible strike. You showed him!

Posted by: Kev29 | March 14, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Sucks - just short of the promised land!

Hope to see him back in MLS eventually, but if he returns as a lesser player he'll probably bow out. Sweet of the Milanese to offer to hold his spot, and perhaps that will motivate him for a third act.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 14, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

This is tragic and I feel for DB. The seriousness of this non-contact injury probably meant he probably was pushing himself more than he should have. Of course now he may try to pull off a miracle rehab.

BTW one of the local tv stations in Det just did a story on DB's injury. Like it or hate it, DB is virtually the only player with name value to the general US public.

Posted by: DetroitTFC | March 14, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Total Bummer. I was looking forward to seeing him in the World Cup. He must be gutted. I too hope he can come back from this injury and end his career on his own terms.

And way to stay Classy Power Boater. Thanks.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 14, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

How does this financially affect MLS and the Galaxy? I sure hope they get a large injury settlement from Milan to cover that $50M per year contract that was touted when he first signed. Or that AEG wasn't stupid enough to have that contract uninsured.

I'm convinced now that Donovan is sold (to make up the lost $$$ Beckham would have put in the MLS coffers) or at the very least extended until May, then the players strike.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | March 14, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

That sucks. Like him or not, he promoted the game and has had a great career. I was looking forward to him playing a part in the drama this summer.

Posted by: delantero | March 14, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm absolutely crushed. Beckham is the only thing worth watching in MLS. He is a god. It's not just that he bends the ball - he strokes his balls with a tender caress. He is a hero to billions because of his play, looks and his emaciated wife.

I'll probably cry myself to sleep throughout this season.

boo hoo, boo hoo, boo hoo.

Posted by: J_S_F | March 14, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Heh. I feel bad for Beckham but I still got a chuckle out of some not very subtle sarcasm posted here.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | March 14, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

5 to 6 months for an Achilles?!

It takes 9 months. We won't see Beckham again until after the MLS playoffs.

Awful news. I feel bad for the guy.

Posted by: neil_g | March 14, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

J_S_F should be ashamed of himself. Mocking a player who just suffered a major injury. Classless.

Posted by: neil_g | March 15, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

I guess money can't buy you everything becks.

Posted by: Norteno4life | March 15, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

So does this mean I can attend the LA Galaxy game and not the “Beckham” game in DC and I won’t be surrounded by shouting teenage girls who could care less about MLS and the Eurosnobs who sit through the whole game complaining about everything American?

I like Beckham as a player but the Galaxy-United game will be so much better without his followers (the way it used to be), I would rather see Donovan get the well deserved spotlight anyways. Before Beckham, the Donovan (San Jose or LA) vs. United games were some of the best of the season and you could almost always count on at least one Galaxy player giving the finger to BB and SE. Is there any venue in the US outside of the HDC where Donovan plays better than RFK?

Live will continue after Becks (although maybe not after the strike), the WC should give Americans some new heroes (hopefully American) and a lot of talented potential players who will consider playing in the US after playing in their final WC.

Posted by: Southeasterner | March 15, 2010 12:35 AM | Report abuse

That's too bad.
For him and MLS.
He reminded me of my very young days when I watched Cruyff do amazing things at RFK.
Beckham was a cut above here.
I hope he returns for next year.
Enger-land is really having issues, huh?

Posted by: marksman37 | March 15, 2010 3:13 AM | Report abuse

Good, so we can move on then...right?

Posted by: redskinsux | March 15, 2010 5:11 AM | Report abuse

Will LA be getting any compensation $$$ from AC Milan for Beckham's injury?

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | March 15, 2010 5:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: neil_g | March 15, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

=============================================

J_S_F is not ashamed and believes that neil_g should get off his knees and pleasure another gay icon.

J_S_F is hoping that Rooney gets injured, as well.

Posted by: J_S_F | March 15, 2010 7:04 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure there's an insurance policy taken out by Milan/MLS for Beckham. So, MLS should be off the hook for Beckham this year - Lloyd's of London probably just picked up Posh's spending account this year.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 15, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

I was watching when it happened, and you could tell right away it was bad. With no one near him and the way he was hopping, it was obvious it wasn't just a tweak.

I know some of us are supposed to be all anti-Beckham and hate anyone who isn't on DC's team, but the guy loves the sport and has as much perspective on his place in the game as anyone that well-known can have.

I hate to see anyone go out with a non-contact injury like that, but to see it happen to someone chasing a World Cup dream should make you feel bad for the guy.

Posted by: beach3 | March 15, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

he had been coming off milan's bench lately. did his lack of form have anything to do with achilles issues or was this injury completely out of the blue?

Posted by: getanewnumber10 | March 15, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

J_S_F goes to his comfort zone (that of an 8th grader).

This is clearly a shame. Deservedly or not, he added some luster to the game, the WC will have one less story.

Posted by: TwoIsle | March 15, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

J_S_F has small hands and smells_of_cabbage.

Galaxy at RFK is better with Beckham than without him. I wish the guy a speedy recovery.

Posted by: JkR- | March 15, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Most Achilles injuries appear to be out of the blue but I can't remember an athlete at the top of his or her physical performance getting one.

Posted by: GeneWells | March 15, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Phil Brown fired. Doubt this is good news for Jozy.

Posted by: Reignking | March 15, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

You reap what you sow. No good deed goes unpunished. The chickens have come home to roost.

Whatever hackneyed expression you want to use, this is on MLS and their willingness to allow themselves and by extension their teams to get bent over the bedpost by the superstar players who want to "test the waters" or "dip their bill" in prestigious Eurpoean competetion. These guys are playing too many games and anyone on the techincal side of MLS teams will tell you that increases exponentially the risk of injury, especially as the player gets older.

The only question now is how much Garber will bend over for the Galaxy and bend the MLS "rules" to allow Bruce and co. to cover the loss of a major MLS player and draw.

Posted by: lgm6986 | March 15, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

The Galaxy may be Beckham's best option when he returns. How eager would top teams be to play a 35-year old (by the time he recovers) after a couple of serious injuries over the past few years?

Posted by: Rhio | March 15, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

@Rhio,

If you assume he still wants to play. He's not pushing for England anymore and if Donovan leaves in the summer, does he really want to keep pushing it just for the Galaxy?

I assume nobody is seeing Becks in a competitive match again until 2011.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 15, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

For those of you that have read Soccernomics, this reminds me of the MilanLab -- AC Milan's vaunted "High Tech Scientific Research Centre" that is purported to accurately evaluate players' health and age and ability to contribute. Small sample size (Beckham) surely doesn't repudiate that, but just interesting to note.

Posted by: Reignking | March 15, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Southeasterner | March 15, 2010 12:35 AM

Yep - fear not, you'll have RFK all to yourself this season. We'll if you don't count the rats.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 15, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Monday Kickaround? Anyone? Anyone? Steve? Bueller?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 15, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

On the surface, I think we Americans have been tuned to enjoy seeing the mighty and prideful fall, but this is really a sad event and doesn't help any of the groups Beckham was involved with.

For one, MLS and the Galaxy were better having a healthy Beckham in the field. He was a leader, set a good example (for the most part) to his less experienced peers, and helped to draw attention to our young league.

His exposure to MLS also allow B. Bradley and other US National Team members playing in the US to grow accustom to Beckham's style of play, and there by helping to lower the "pedestal" (I think) we put England on.

It's also sad for a man who has managed to perform at such a high level for so much of his career, to fail to achieve a goal his heart was clearly set on.

One has to wonder whether the motivation will still be there after he recovers.

Posted by: TCompton | March 15, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

This is too bad. It's a major loss to MLS, takes something away from WC 2010, and it's a bummer for the guy personally. I'm also disappointed in the reaction of many on this blog.

Posted by: WorldCup | March 15, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I wonder how much, if at all, the LA Galaxy's medical staff was consulted on Beck's treatment plan, including the surgery. Not to suggest that LA could control the process, but typical in loan situations would at least be a consultation on what would happen next, if not an outright examination of the player by the MLS team's medical staff. I susoect that in this case, LA was bypassed altogether and Becks just did want he wanted. Just more eveidence that when it came to this transaction, the tail wags the dog.

Posted by: lgm6986 | March 15, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, surprised Leonardo knew to comment on this kind of injury. Thought he only knew how to crack other player's skulls in World Cup games.

Still bitter 16 years later....

Posted by: IamAM | March 15, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lgm6986 | March 15, 2010 12:52 PM

I'll fix your spelling, but I can't help with your logic.

You 'suspect' becomes 'evidence' before the sentence is even over!

THIS is why the internets were invented!

Posted by: JkR- | March 15, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse